XCOMUFO & Xenocide

soldiers losing strength?

snarf

So I had Seigfried Seidler at a rank of Colonel. Nasty stats, 150 strength. Next mission, he's at 9 strength. Anyone encounter this? What gives?

Also, I was on a mission and the mid-small UFO wouldn't let me see down to ground level. I was centering on my troops and on the aliens, but the roof never disappeared. This happen to anyone else?

I'm running the DOS version on the latest Dosbox release, and everything's been running fine so far.

edit: That's actually supposed to be 265 strength at first.

Edited by snarf

That's because strength is stored in an 8-bit byte. It can only hold values between 0 - 255. Going to 256 cause the high bits to drop off. This in effect causes the value to wrap back around to 0.

Earlier editions of the game had this problem and would keep increasing until they wrap back to 0, Later patches and releases capped the stats. Strength is meant to cap at 70 - which is more than enough to carry any practically any combination of equipment in the game without hitting the encumbrance penalty.

Also as for you other problem, did you accidentally click on the button that shows all of the map layers? That'll show the roof regardless of what map level you are actually working on.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Unfortunately the damage has been done.

Mind you, 9 strength ain't too bad. Strength only affects carry weight and throwing range, so he can carry a laser rifle (needs 8 strength) and nothing else (or one plasma rifle and exactly one clip) and not be encumbered.

After a few missions you should get back to the 20 - 30 range. That will let you start packing a few extra clips and grenades again.

- NKF