• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

I'm thinking that in Battlescape and Basescape that Xnet be run as a simulated PDA more-or-less as Xnet is envisioned now.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#2 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

I agree on Battlescape, but on Basescape? the player can read the regular xnet there. Maybe make the battlescape PDA to be available on all scapes? (base,planet,battle)

#3 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

I think we should flesh out the PDA version first then look into making a JAVA version that would run on the website (eventually with a C++ one being incorporated into the game) to generate interest.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

I think we should flesh out the PDA version first then look into making a JAVA version that would run on the website (eventually with a C++ one being incorporated into the game) to generate interest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree, a java version for the site would be nice :)

#5 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

I agree on Battlescape, but on Basescape? the player can read the regular xnet there. Maybe make the battlescape PDA to be available on all scapes? (base,planet,battle)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IIRC basecape is just the base build/management screen. I was thinking the PDA would contain the consise info needed for that and be less distracting.
Posted Image

#6 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

So the PDA would be available everywhere but on planetscape?

#7 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Well we /could/ put it there but it would be redundant.
Posted Image

#8 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:02 PM

Ok, should we limit the viewable topics depending on which scape the player is in? i.e. only available topics for PDA on Basescape are Buildings, only available topics for PDA on Battlescape are Aliens/Weapons/XCAPs/etc

#9 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Nah it's more work to do that, jsut run the full PDA simulation whereever you start it.
Posted Image

#10 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Ok, should we limit the viewable topics depending on which scape the player is in? i.e. only available topics for PDA on Basescape are Buildings, only available topics for PDA on Battlescape are Aliens/Weapons/XCAPs/etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, why? Maybe the player want's to check, how much room in the storage an item takes.
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:33 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, why? Maybe the player want's to check, how much room in the storage an item takes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Aliens and all as well?
Just as a note, I'm not against having it all available at all times, just trying to define what exactly do we want :)

#12 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

The "Database" will be a "program" on it. But on the PDA it can be as we envisoned the Xnet before this discussion.
Posted Image

#13 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Aliens and all as well?
Just as a note, I'm not against having it all available at all times, just trying to define what exactly do we want :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, no. aliens not on the basescape. But on the geoscape, pardon: Planetview.. ;)
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#14 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

I figure in battlescape because US soldier do carry these things and in basescape because architects and managers carry them too, but not geoscape since the full internet simulation will be there.

BTW it'd be cool to have solitare on the PDA too :D
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

I figure in battlescape because US soldier do carry these things and in basescape because architects and managers carry them too, but not geoscape since the full internet simulation will be there.

BTW it'd be cool to have solitare on the PDA too  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would certainly be a nice extra, perhaps not too hard to code, too :)

#16 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

BTW it'd be cool to have solitare on the PDA too  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea. Might be a good idea. But won't you get lost, if you try to find sth. quick?
(well, and solitare is a MUST ;) )
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#17 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

sth?
Posted Image

#18 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

Something.

#19 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

We can have a search engine that generates "hits". Since we have control of EVERYTHING we have the oportunity to cheat in the way a real search engine cant.
Posted Image

#20 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

We can have a search engine that generates "hits".  Since we have control of EVERYTHING we have the oportunity to cheat in the way a real search engine cant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hm. might be getting too complex. But I don't know 'bout that. Nevertheless, a good idea. :)
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#21 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

Do we really need a separate battlefield PDA? Wouldn't it be easier to let the player check everything from a laptop, thereby getting access to the entire xnet?

Oh yeah, some minigames would be cool :)
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#22 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

Do we really need a separate battlefield PDA? Wouldn't it be easier to let the player check everything from a laptop, thereby getting access to the entire xnet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Laptop might be too bulky. Plus, the normal XNet entries are way to long and complicated for the battlefield. There you need short facts, not techno bable 'bout how the plasma rifle works. You just wanne know how big the hole are it leaves...
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#23 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Laptop might be too bulky. Plus, the normal XNet entries are way to long and complicated for the battlefield. There you need short facts, not techno bable 'bout how the plasma rifle works. You just wanne know how big the hole are it leaves...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, maybe like an in-game strategy guide? we could integrate strategy tactics that would normally be on the manual, allowing the player to check them inside the game, on the battlescape (once we do have strategies to write, of course)

#24 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

PDA has less stuff, so less work to implement.
Posted Image

#25 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

Well Santa got me a post-christmas gift; an hx1950 iPaq; sweet.
Posted Image

#26 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

Well Santa got me a post-christmas gift; an hx1950 iPaq; sweet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sweet! :) So now you can do real life studies for us.. :D
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image