XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Mp3 Music Patch Has Arrived! Updated For Windows 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello!

I do not understand what I have to do to run this patch with a second launcher.

In the read me you said: "To run a 2nd launcher with this patch, use the following switch '-LAUNCHER <EXE_NAME>' "

Err...what? xD

Do I have to rename something or what?

Sorry, but I realy dont get what you mean OMFG

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

I do not understand what I have to do to run this patch with a second launcher.

In the read me you said: "To run a 2nd launcher with this patch, use the following switch '-LAUNCHER <EXE_NAME>' "

Err...what? xD

Do I have to rename something or what?

Sorry, but I realy dont get what you mean OMFG

Thanks for your help.

If Launcher.exe is the name of your launcher, use the following:

"C:\Program Files\MicroProse\X-COM Collector's Edition\UFO Defense\XComMusic.exe" -LAUNCHER Launcher.exe

• 3 weeks later...

I finally managed to make some sense out of the incoherent replies (since they are spread throughout 4 year of time) and figured how to eliminate the "Couldn't create process" error.

Download the following patch and rename whatever file you use to start xcom to patch.exe as quoted below.

Note that I'm not using Xcom1fix but ET's patch. So I simply renamed "Ufo Defense.exe" to "Patch.exe".

With 4 years delay thank you very much for great work Mr.Spymaster <3

Rename the xcom1fix to patch.exe, extract Launcher.exe to the folder and run the Launcher.exe. (This will run the patch.exe, which will then run the UFO Defense.exe). When you finnish playing, you just have to click the exit button as the program can't detect if the game has finnished being loaded this way.

Patch_using_xcom1fix

Edited by kasumimi

• 2 weeks later...
Download the following patch and rename whatever file you use to start xcom to patch.exe as quoted below.

Note that I'm not using Xcom1fix but ET's patch. So I simply renamed "Ufo Defense.exe" to "Patch.exe".

...Sigh...

More incoherent replies!

OK, tell me this: which version of "Ufo Defense.exe" did you rename to "Patch.exe"??? There is one version installed by the game disk, and another that comes with ET's patch.

And where do I find Launcher.exe?

Er, what does this file have to do with xcom1fix?

-Mike

Edited by SharkD

...Sigh...

More incoherent replies!

OK, tell me this: which version of "Ufo Defense.exe" did you rename to "Patch.exe"??? There is one version installed by the game disk, and another that comes with ET's patch.

The file that is used to launch the game is the one that must be renamed to Patch.exe. For example let's say you don't use any other loaders whatsoever, in that case you rename "Ufo Defense.exe" to patch.exe. In my situation it's ET's patch.

And where do I find Launcher.exe?

I'm sorry - I screwed my original link, it's here or in Spymaster's reply #24.

Er, what does this file have to do with xcom1fix?

-Mike

Nothing to do with it :S I messed up the link, I'm sure I had it for the launcher but it brings musicpath2, once again sorry for confusion :E

Edited by kasumimi

The file that is used to launch the game is the one that must be renamed to Patch.exe. For example let's say you don't use any other loaders whatsoever, in that case you rename "Ufo Defense.exe" to patch.exe. In my situation it's ET's patch.

What do I do with the original, non-patch "Ufo Defense.exe"?

What is your command-line? I keep getting an "Patch not installed (0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000002)" error.

[edit]

I only receive the error when running as a normal user. I *do not* want to run as administrator. How do I fix this?

When I'm running as administrator it works, but I don't hear any music, only the sound effects. I am running Windows XP Home and have WMP 11 installed. What's the problem?

Edited by SharkD

What do I do with the original, non-patch "Ufo Defense.exe"?

What is your command-line? I keep getting an "Patch not installed (0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000002)" error.

[edit]

I only receive the error when running as a normal user. I *do not* want to run as administrator. How do I fix this?

When I'm running as administrator it works, but I don't hear any music, only the sound effects. I am running Windows XP Home and have WMP 11 installed. What's the problem?

This is beyond my knowledge :< I don't think I can help. I'm not sure WMP might cause an issue. Maybe you've made a mistake in the installation process with the music files? I get no music at all when I run the game without Spymaster's launcher. As for the original Ufo defense file you can just back it up by remaming it to anything, like "Ufo Defense original.exe" or something. I've never used it before since I installed ET's patch.

Make sure you DL all the files of the first post on this thread and follow the process carefully. Then rename ET's patch to patch.exe and run Spymaster's launcher.

Also, I get "Patch not installed" message when I run ET's exe without having the "ufoeuet" file in the folder (this file is included in ET's patch zip and is necessary to run the game).

Hope this helps ;x

What is your command line?

Mine is:

"C:\Program Files\MicroProse\X-COM Collector's Edition\UFO Defense\XComMusic.exe" -MOUSEFIX -LAUNCHER patch.exe

I just run "D:\games\Strategy\UFOWIN\Launcher.exe"

*With ET's .exe renamed to patch.exe*

Keep in mind that I don't use XcomMusic.exe cause I get "couldn't create process" error, hence I use the launcher which is error-free for me.

• 1 month later...

gee...

first of all, why do I need this "launcher.exe"?

I am running XCOM in my Vista64 without using any "xcom fix" or "launcher". I just set the UFO.EXE file from Xcom-ET to run in Windows95 compatibility mode in 256 colors.

But whenever I try to run the music patch, I always get this COULDNT CREATE PROCESS damn error.

Already renamed UFO.EXE to PATCH.EXE and it didnt work.

What is your command line?

Mine is:

"C:\Program Files\MicroProse\X-COM Collector's Edition\UFO Defense\XComMusic.exe" -MOUSEFIX -LAUNCHER patch.exe

but does the game runs with the MP3 songs without using the music patch??????? WTF

1 --> Follow the instructions of Spymaster about downloading and renaming files from the original post.

2 --> Download the file you xp/vista file (MusicPatch zip 1 or 2) again from the first post on this thread.

3 --> Download Launcher.exe and place it in your UFO Defence folder.

4 --> Rename Ufo Defence.exe to Patch.exe.

5 --> Run the launcher file you downloaded from step 3.

This is my solution for the "Couldn't create proccess error" problem. Good luck.

Edited by kasumimi

• 8 months later...

This patch was updated for Windows 7 to prevent/reduce the flicking caused by Media Player 12.

If you still experience excessive flickering, make sure Media Player is not already running prior to

starting the game. The Windows slideshow gadget should also be closed, as this uses Media Player and

will cause flickering.

Also, you can now specify a custom resolution for the mousefix using '-MOUSEFIX <max_x>x<max_y>' e.g. -MOUSEFIX 319x199

New version: MusicPatch3.zip (118Kb)