Issue #84- Basescape Gui

Deimos

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People will not see the aliens inside the tubes in a dynamic fashion, meaning if you capture a Raptor or Grey it won't suddenly appear in the tubes during a base attack. So it doesn't matter if it technically fits. They would be put into cryo state IMO while in tubes, then thawed for study as needed. So you can fold the Raptor up to fit it inside there, obviously it wouldn't be in its normal stance.

Nice job on the texturing Drewid, looking nice. I haven't worked through the new posts yet, are the other facilities attached to a post yet?

no, fraid not.

First thing on my list is getting the untextured facilities converted to .3ds for Marquis. After that is redoing the originals in line with the Ogre texture guidelines.

I don't think it would be too hard fitting a reaper in a tube, They fold up pretty small if you push hard enough. If it's really big then you could just take it to pieces with a small charge :explode:

Edited by drewid

• 11 months later...

This thread is for the development of the textures and imagesets for the Basescape GUI.

Textures should be have a size that's a power of 2 and be as few as possible. For GUI it's better to use few big textures which contain as many elements (backgrounds, buttons, etc.) as they can instead of having many textures each for different elements. One texture per screen is fine. And they shouldn't be bigger than 512x512 (or 1024x1024 for backgrounds).

By the way, don't put text in the GUI textures. Text have to be separate elements so they can change with, for example, different languages or for displaying info.

Also, you have to make imagesets for each separate texture. Imagesets are pretty simple XML files which define the different images inside a texture (like i said, a texture isn't used as a whole, but as several separate images) for CEGUI to use.

As an example here's the imageset for the Planetview to show you how it's done:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<Imageset Name="Planetview" Imagefile="ui/planetview/planetview.png" NativeHorzRes="800" NativeVertRes="600" AutoScaled="true">
<Image Name="Sidebar" XPos="53" YPos="424" Width="203" Height="600" />
<Image Name="ButtonNormal" XPos="0" YPos="364" Width="182" Height="26" />
<Image Name="ButtonPushed" XPos="0" YPos="397" Width="182" Height="26" />
<Image Name="TimerBtnNormal" XPos="187" YPos="305" Width="32" Height="17" />
<Image Name="TimerBtnPushed" XPos="187" YPos="274" Width="32" Height="17" />
<Image Name="ZoomInNormal" XPos="111" YPos="314" Width="20" Height="22" />
<Image Name="ZoomInPushed" XPos="111" YPos="255" Width="20" Height="22" />
<Image Name="ZoomOutNormal" XPos="83" YPos="333" Width="17" Height="24" />
<Image Name="ZoomOutPushed" XPos="83" YPos="274" Width="17" Height="24" />
<Image Name="PanLeftNormal" XPos="10" YPos="325" Width="20" Height="16" />
<Image Name="PanLeftPushed" XPos="10" YPos="266" Width="20" Height="16" />
<Image Name="PanRightNormal" XPos="45" YPos="325" Width="20" Height="16" />
<Image Name="PanRightPushed" XPos="45" YPos="266" Width="20" Height="16" />
<Image Name="PanUpNormal" XPos="29" YPos="305" Width="16" Height="21" />
<Image Name="PanUpPushed" XPos="29" YPos="246" Width="16" Height="21" />
<Image Name="PanDownNormal" XPos="29" YPos="340" Width="16" Height="21" />
<Image Name="PanDownPushed" XPos="29" YPos="281" Width="16" Height="21" />
<Image Name="ArrowUp" XPos="230" YPos="388" Width="12" Height="21" />
<Image Name="ArrowDown" XPos="201" YPos="388" Width="12" Height="21" />
</Imageset>

the first line defines it as an XML file.

the second one defines imageset name (usually the screen name) and imagefile (texture), as well as the base resolution they're used on but that remains changed as all GUI graphics are made for 800x600 and then sized appropriately for different resolutions.

the other lines define each of the individual images in the texture with their X/Y position and width / height in the texture. for example, if you have a button at X:10 Y:20 and with width 50 and height 20, you'd type this:

you can have as many images as you want and name them whatever you want, but you should keep names clear and short ;)

the final line ends the imageset.

ummm... well, i think that's everything. if you don't understand something feel free to ask. and you can always look at the already existing GUI textures / imagesets in the latest release for examples.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I need object of garage facility, if i'm right it's not completed yet, but imho it's better to use in code not completed object then a big yellow box :)

(i can handle ogre mesh files, .3ds, maya and .obj)

Greetings,

Beetle

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

What about base GUI's are there some ready now? In short time we will need: base base GUI (i mean this first and most importent one), building facililty GUI and base statistic GUI :)

Greetings,

Beetle

The baseview gui is prettymuch complete, Deimos had it done, just a few things that needed to be fixed up (names of menu options, placement of a few things) the rest of the gui are dialogue boxes which I've not checked their completion.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Anybody know, why in new baseview GUI there are only 8 buttons? In X-Com there was 11 buttons, and currently i don't know how can we pack all baseview functionality in that buttons.

Greetings

Beetle

screen.jpg

screenshot_0619105_115355468.jpg

Hi

Anybody know, why in new baseview GUI there are only 8 buttons? In X-Com there was 11 buttons, and currently i don't know how can we pack all baseview functionality in that buttons.

Greetings

Beetle

Don't know why... but purchase/recruit and sell/sack are on the planetscape (as one button)

Presumably the soldiers button will be moved under base info?

EDIT: Manufacturing is also on planetscape

Ta

Ben

P.S. @Beetle I'll get a progress update on buy/sell to you soon

Edited by bpuk

Hi

Greetings

Beetle

Don't know why... but purchase/recruit and sell/sack are on the planetscape (as one button)

Presumably the soldiers button will be moved under base info?

EDIT: Manufacturing is also on planetscape

Ta

Ben

P.S. @Beetle I'll get a progress update on buy/sell to you soon

Several of the buttons were moved out to the planetview window to streamline operations a bit.