XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Xenium Reactor

valerian

Hey -

Whats an "ovni energy source"? Wheres it from? I do like the model, I'm assuming you made it? Ifyou did, with some tweaks, it could be a good bases for UFO power sources. Still a little similar to the original, but with some work could be very original.

Gold

hello colonel gold!

i do it under anim8or.

and UFO power sources come from space! :D

yes similar to original and will try to work more on it.

(as i said iam a newbee to 3d but try do my best)

thank to give opinion, colonel gold!

see you.

Its nice for a start, but a bit borring, to say it as it is. Needs something cool, like a piece for elerium floating inside, or a green beam dancing arround. Exterrior look could also use a bit detail.

BTW, with ovni, i think he means ownie, that it owns.

Edited by mikker

Hehe -

Just Gold is fine :D . Some suggestions....perhaps if you added an interesting lighting, such as a glow of some sort...that could be good. Is there a way to animate a model with light sources moving and changing? That might be worh looking into. Also, the more detail the better, so think about working something into that screen. I suggested a hologram from Vaaish Avenger screen, perhaps you could do something similiar. This way, when people are like "where did the holograms come from" they see that it came from some sort of alien tech.

I also like Mikker's idea of something floating inside, that would be a neat affect. Then the individual Elerium compounds could emit a lights source, and perhaps be coded to fly around in a rapid, random pattern.

Gold

• 2 months later...

Hey -

Well, being that these two models have not been created yet, but the CTD entries are complete, would it be possible to create models at least remotely similar to the descriptions already made? I think that would make more sense, than creating ones that are different, and then the CTD having to go re-write because of that.

Following are the physical descritions. Also, please note, that they are rather vague on purpose so that you guys have as much artistic felxibilty as possible. So please try to design with these descriptions at least in the back of your mind.

UFO POWER SOURCE

The reaction chamber has three layers, creating an onion-like structure. The outermost layer is composed of two sheets of alien alloys with structural supports between them. This reinforced alien alloy shell helps protect the reaction chamber from damage, and contains the explosive force of the reaction. Within the alien alloy shell lays a field of particle emitters. These emitters appear to be connected to 'particle reservoirs' where samples of krypton or other high-energy atoms are stored. These particles are then magnetically accelerated into the third layer of the reaction chamber: the Elerium storage chamber. The particles bombard the Elerium, creating a temporarily unstable super-heavy element. Immediately, the Elerium decays, giving off a vast amount of power.

Below the reaction chamber lays the alien 'battery'. The energy storage is accomplished through the use of a bio-organic mesh, not entirely dissimilar from the vaguely organic tissue found on alien alloys.

UFO NAVIGATION

This psychotronic device appears to be

some sort of gestalt network, linking up to five individuals of the same species into a masive psionic amplifier. Even psionically null individuals can be used in conjunction with this device....

One of the participants must be the focus of the psychotronic web, the controller.  All other participants are virtually comatose for the duration of the link.  When interfaced with the alien control systems, the controller almost literally becomes the craft. 

Many thanks,

Gold

• 2 weeks later...
The navigation entry has me wondering though. Is there 5 aliens linked within the craft? What about the smaller ufos, where there's less than 5 aliens aboard? I guess I missed something there.

The Corporal is right, minimun 1, maximum 5...the actual number depends onthe size of the ship, and the psionic strength of the individuals (so a single sectoid could probably handle even a medium ufo, but you probably need 3-4 mutons for a large scout).

That part of the concept was shamlessly stolen from the ufo control room scene in Taken.

-The Captain

It said UP TO five aliens, the lower limit is 1? and the upper limit per nav is 5.

Doh! :hammer:

Taken, that was a creepy miniseries. dissappointing too! The aliens weren't necesarily evil!

Anyway, how is xcom supposed to use alien power when we can't bioengineer living energy storage? I don't think a duracell would work here. :D

• 4 months later...

To get this thread on topic, :D , could someone convert the attached models from .max to .3ds format? Then zip them up and attach them here again. Milkshape doesn't have a max importer that I could find...

Thanks!

models.zip

• 5 months later...

I have found two other topics related to the power source:

[EDIT BY J'ORDOS: topics merged, so links didn't lead anywhere anymore, and therefor I removed them]

Perhaps some topics could be merged?

Interesting design, Calavero. It looks like it's got 4 reactions going on at once.

Edited by j'ordos

Oh, and OVNI is French for UFO :D

or Portuguese. or Spanish. or many other similiar languages :P

i like the concept of the UFO Power Source. We should make one different from xcom1 and that's different :)

I also like having a different look to the power source. Perhaps some sort of curved/looped structure could be made? Something to make the design a little different than the alien containment chamber, if you've seen the tubes to hold the aliens, it just reminds me of that a little. Not that that's an issue, I guess having some look like the Xenium matter is flowing around to help make the energy fields or something? Just some thoughts.

Breunor was right. The first concept was like the alien containment chamber. I changed the tubes to rings. These rings will have an animated texture (much like the hovertank model) to show the Xenium(?) reacton. As soon as I get my hands on 3D Studio I'll post a first mesh.

post-29-1085730292_thumb.jpg

I'm not 100% on that angular style to be honest. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the alien tech. I'm thinking we need to utilise the xenium crystals directly instead of having something that looks similar to a ST warp reactor.

Obviously it needs to fill the 1m2 area we have planned but for me this style of design is too human for alien tech.

Edited by Deimos

NB the discussion going on (somewhere.. not sure which forum) about xenium and its atomic number and stability due to high energy content and such.. Is it possible to have soo much pure crystal sitting in a UFO power source?

NB the discussion going on (somewhere.. not sure which forum) about xenium and its atomic number and stability due to high energy content and such.. Is it possible to have soo much pure crystal sitting in a UFO power source?

yeah, it shouldn't be pure energy, at least not dirrectly. It could be contained in champers where it is pumped into the machinery. They should act like barriers, that stop the energy from the crystal when it goes too high. I don't think the Overmind wants it slaves to die from overheating and radiation...

While there is discussion about the atomic number and all that, I think it belittles Xenium to think of it in that way. This stuff is warping the space-time field, so its radiation could very well be something that in pure form does not affect us, similar to magnetic fields. It's only when you toss in some other matter, that Xenium can vaporise, that you start having a weapon setup.

Regarding the powersource, perhaps a combination of the crystals and a cool design layout would work? Like taking the rings, making them eliptical and overlapping each other, and they are made of the faceted crystals themselves instead of being within a chamber?

I just tossed some primitives together here, I'd see more than one ring, and maybe having them thinner as well. With some animated textures inside transparent faces, also covered in animated textures, you could make some fun dancing lights.

1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi art people :)

I was wondering if anyone is considering working on this, because we are currently re-thinking some stuff about xenium, and I would like you to wait a bit until we get some general ideas settled, because it might affect the way the power source should look :)

I'll keep you updated.

(I already have some design concepts in mind, but let's first see what the others think about my soon-to-come xenium revision)

Hi art people :)

I was wondering if anyone is considering working on this, because we are currently re-thinking some stuff about xenium, and I would like you to wait a bit until we get some general ideas settled, because it might affect the way the power source should look :)

I'll keep you updated.

(I already have some design concepts in mind, but let's first see what the others think about my soon-to-come xenium revision)

We don't really need to know how it looks in order to write how it works, anyway :)

We don't really need to know how it looks in order to write how it works, anyway :)

As far as I understood Moriartys post, he just wanted to be sure that he is not destroying any already done artwork if he changes the Xenium CT. right?

that's what YOU think!

As far as I understood Moriartys post, he just wanted to be sure that he is not destroying any already done artwork if he changes the Xenium CT. right?

exactly.

plus I wanted to see if I can dictate my views not only on the ctd people, but also here in the art department... uh... you didn't hear me saying that, did you? :D

[...]anyway, what I am thinking of involves something that is not entirely compatible with the original design (the glowing cylinder thing).

Why no glowing cylinder? U don't know if it's not emitting some nm EM waves when unfolding space-time... (am I the only one in whose ears that sounds kind of... strange? :) )

what about something more like this? Especially the roof part.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/fortress_curve2.jpg

http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artbattle9-800.jpg

lsdy one not mine, but posted before. I really like this design, i most say. It looks powerfull, and nothing like the one in the original.

Edited by mikker

erm... I'm fairly positive that the image Fux made (the goldish one) of the interior of tehe UFO was even showing a reactor... I believe it is primarily showing a concept for how the interior might look in a general sense with nothing actually detailed or labeled

It's true, although the reactor was in the centre of every small ufo, so that was actually a really quick splash for the reactor and a force door or screen or something. The perspective on that drawing was hard to do, and that's about the most vivid memory I have of it.... Mostly it was for interior style but if you like the quick reactor run over, feel free to develop it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking that it might look something like this... please treat this model like "concept art" as I tend to think and "draw" in 3d...

Sort of a power core and instrument panel in one. What do you all think?

-Eamon

power1.jpg

its a start but it lacks the organicness needed for the alien tech. it looks a bit too human like one of our knock offs of the alien reactors.

Well I was messing around with weapon shapes today and out popped a power source!

It is a little more organic... than last time... still just concept art though.

power1.jpg

-Eamon

power3.jpg

power4.jpg

Edited by eamon

• 3 weeks later...