XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide-xcom Dictionary

CaptainCharisma

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look through the dictionary and generally it is good buuut a few corrections need to go in.

7. XI-23 “Vectored Assault Raptor” interceptor= interceptor

For a while now this has been called the XC-1 in the forums and I think the Vectored bit should be dropped, it doesn't roll off the tongue.

8. XT-5 “Sparrow” VTOL transport= Skyranger

This one's been call the XC-11 and I'm afraid that Sparrow reminds me of a missile so that'll have to be changed. Look at long range transport aircraft to get an idea of what this should be called. :)

9. Starfire Fighter= Firestorm fighter

Good but drop the Fighter bit. The Starfire has much more of a punch to it than Starfire fighter. :)

10. Eclipse Transport= Lightning Transport

Again drop the Transport bit, it loses its definition. Remember the original had short punchy names for the craft. We should too.

11. Nova Heavy Assault Transport= Avenger “ultimate craft”

Ouch, way too much of a gobfull :D Though I do like the ida of using an acronym for the avenger NHAT doesn't really roll off the tongue :)

Back to these weapons again. We're using real world weaponry as a base so why not just use the names the real weapons have. Anyone into guns will spot our base tech for what it is so use the proper designations.

For the laser and upwards... We can't use "cooker" that just brings images of a four ring hob and fan oven. Drop the nicknames for the advanced tech and stick to designations and what the weapon really is.

Same goes for the craft weaponry, it just sounds too cheesy to call a plasma cannon a "Lucifer". Again use designations and drop the call signs.

33. Power[ed] Armor= Power Suit

For this we need something that rolls off the tongue an sounds good. Whereas keeping it short and punchy for the craft, something like PP104- Forward Assault Hardsuit gives that feeling of invincibility.

34. Anti-Grav Armor= Flying Suit

Using a similar theme to the above. PP-201-Assault Jump Hardsuit might work better. Kind of reminds me of the armour from Heinlein's Starship Troopers and the Armour used in the anime classic Bubblegum crisis.

35. Personal Armor= Personal Armor

This should be Flak suit or something more based on real world tech as its the first step into alien research. It should reflect the 1st level of alien research. Again it should have a designator code.

About designator codes. They are usually based off the number of the prototype so they don't always follow a numerical order. As an example there would be a line of pistols starting with the XP-1 and finishing with the XP-5 the model that makes the production would use the same number but would be given a service classification IE M-5.

We're gonna get a lot of conflict over the alien names but I think there are some great ones already decided upon in the alien names thread.

Other than that top stuff.

Edited by Deimos

LOL, that means the Avenger becomes the NHAT :D

I think the alien names that are currently there will surfice for now IMO, if it looks crap in game then we can change it but I realised the other day that a lot of names in games and movies we don't even notice but upon closer inspection they aren't actually that inventive.

Dunno about flak suit for Personal Armour, this doesn't really convey that it is a partly alien tech, just sounds like a full body suit version of a flak jacket.

I concur with Jim. Ok next version, as per deimos' request, the designators will be changed. Not all of them though (I am really attached to some of them):)

Edit: Here it is!

Xenocide_xcom_name_repository2.3.rtf

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Just to nitpick...the conventional HWPs are currently designated in the CTD as MTC (Modular Tank Chassis) followed by the turret design designator. Hover tanks use MHC (Modular Hover Chassis).

MTC-01C = Tank/Cannon

MTC-02M = Tank/Missile

MTC-X1L = Tank/Laser

MHC-X2P = Hover/Plasma

MHC-X3B = Hover/Launcher

-The Captain

I've just glanced in here for the first time, may I suggest that if there are several suggestions that sound good that they all be placed in the list, like:

Interceptor = Idea1; Idea2, etc

So when we've got some really good ideas that are too tough to decide on one or the other, we can create a vote thread to decide what it should be. If you're making a list of names you should include all the suggestions so far, rather than just your personal preferences, even if not used they may inspire a member with an even better name that everybody likes.

What's used as a comment in the file format? Double slashes or semicolon? You can just put the current #1 choice in front, and the rest on that line after the comment. Then you have it all in 1 file, until a final decision is made for each and then the others can be removed. How does that sound?

just one question:

if an alien in xenocide shoots a plasma riffle at you, would your soldier scream "oh no! he had a ditto plasma pistol!"

:LOL:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The last I heard we might use the text in a XML format. IIRC you can use

<!-- Comment -->

to seperate all the other options from the #1 choice. If you want to cut and paste that in as time permits, that would be cool. Assuming this format is used?

• 1 month later...
Nova has been used for plenty of space ships. It isn't a copyrighted name. Besides, our 'Nova' would be much larger than the Argon Nova M3 class heavy fighter in X2: The Threat. (Not to mention looking completely different.) So we are safe. Besides, Nova sounds like a cool name, imo.

When was unupentium-115 decided on? is it too late to protest?

1. too many syllables

1.a. hard to read

2. many different pronounciations

3. 2/3 of it reads "pentium" and that's not neccesarily a good thing :whatwhat:

its xenocide right?

xenolium-155

xenium-155

xentrium-155

xenithium-155

xenarium-155

xenorium-155

xenixium-155

xentrithium-155

xelium-155

etc.

I thought we were going to use the term Xenium ?

Actually it would be good to compare the names in this list with the suggested item names in the CT meeting room thread, I'd add them all in but am busy with another project right now. Perhaps it would be best to double-check the entries in teh meeting room with your dictionary, and then we can pull out individual items and take polls on preferences. My thought is for items that have like 4 or more suggestions, a poll would weed it down to the top 3, and then a second poll between just those would declare the winner.

Does anyone have time in the next week to compile these entries into a single list?

:wave: sure if you tell me what I have to do and make it nice and clear so i dont screw up

If you can give me access to the CT Meeting Room thread (since it is members only) I can probably do this on sunday. Or MagicAndy and I can both hit it and then double check each other for overlooks, given that the existant dictionary is pretty big, and I can only imagine how huge the Meeting Room thread is.

The latest version of the Name Dic I can find is from Sept. 28th. Is there a more recent version or is this it?

Edited by Anthraxus

I'm gonna work on the alien names first then.