XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Script Ideas And Voice Acting Standards

Rhyos Beoulve

Well, I guess now would be as good a time as ever to try to come up with some standards and a preliminary *VERY bare-bones!* script!

I was thinking maybe 64000, 16 bit mono for the base sound type. If everyone records at that level, then it just sounds more coherent/professional. I think it leaves a good window for editing, but if it needs to be raised, then by all means, do so.

Script!

I think we've all agreed that unit responses aren't a good idea. Especially if you're using the button that goes from 1 trooper to the next. "ya?yes?ja?que?huh?WTF?" all squished together definitely sounds bad. But the event things should definitely be in. And, through the magique of coding, I think there can be more than one set. Because of that, I'll split the responses into morale levels.

100% = casual responses

"There's one of the little grey bastards."

"3 greenies spotted... bring it on!"

"Come to pappa, <name>!"

"Come to mamma, <name>!"

I'm picking something up over there!

We've got <amount> <name> over here!

and other, boisterous comments like that. If they're at 100% morale, they aren't really afraid of anything, and are ready to take on the world.

90-60% = serious responses.

"Sectoid spotted."

"Reaper down."

I've got movement over here.

My sensors are picking up something.

and other, more technical stuff. Quick, accurate, and to the point.

60-25% = nervous responses.

"Ack! T-t-there's one over there!"

"WE'VE GOT INCOMING!"

"They're all around us!?!"

"They're closing in!?!"

"Did you hear that!?!"

"What in the name of..."

"Gyaah! What was that!?!"

and stuff getting close to panic.

From 25% and below, you've got incomprehensible gibberish and yelling, as they would have either panicked, or gone berserk.

For example...

"WHAT THE? WHERE?! THEY'RE ALL AROUND US! AAAAGHH"

*whimper* "I want my mommy!"

"HEEELLPP MEEEEEEE!!"

"Someone help me.... God, they're in my heaaaaadddddd!"

"YEEEEAAAAAGGGGHHH!"

"Thats it, I'm never sleeping again."

"Somebody get me the heck outta here!"

"We're SCREWED, man! SCREWED!"

And for those who've completely lost it in a fit of rage...

"You want some?... YOU TOO? OH YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?! YAAAAGGHH!"

"COME GET A TASTE OF MY BOOMSTICK!!"

"YOU WANNA PIECE OF THIS? COME AND GET IT YOU DIRTY LITTLE CANNABLISTIC OTHERWORLDY SCUM SUCKER!"

"I'm gonna hit you so hard your babies will be born bruised!!"

And for those who've not just lost their minds, but had them stolen...

"I-i-i-I can't control it! GET AWAY FROM ME! RUN!"

"No.... n-Ghhkt! GET OUT OF MY-... connection established.... awaiting orders...."

"S-someone...... help me... I.... I can't stop myself!"

And the like.

Like I said, bare-bones script, but feel free to add lines of your own! And I'll go back and modify the first post to reflect!

Edited by Rhyos Beoulve

I belive this was discussed already, and Idea with button is the best as far. Gives to the player freedom of choice between realistic or cuss-free game.

It would have to have a certain amount to context sensitivity as well, since hearing "There's one of the little grey bastards" when fighting mutons would be a little silly sounding.

Being wounded and/or psi attacked would be neat to have sound bites for too:

"It's in my head!"

"Get out of my mind!"

maybe even something liek this for successful MC:

"I can feel it in my head..no..nooo...Contact successful, Master"

-The Captain

edit: stupid fonts

Edited by Cpt. Boxershorts

Hmm, I think they should speak english, because the human mind wouldn't know how to speak alien, and the etherial uses his mind (I presume that it is translated for the human to understand commands, or the eth actually controles his body to attack humans while the guy's mind is saying noooo...

Ooh! Idea! Yeah, we can go ahead and have it be in english, but it needs to sound detached and different.. Not just the normal, tears-of-embarassment-causing robotic "Contact. Successful." But maybe more of a loud/whispery dark sounding *and wavy with sfx* "Contact successful...." Make it FREAKY!

yes, it would be great to have soldiers talking depending on the situation. makes them look more lively than being just a bunch of sobs that move around and shoot aliens ;)

i can imagine the difference between normal and cursed versions. for example, a soldier with low morale: "We are so doomed!" > "We are so f***** up!" :P

since we're talking about voice acting, how about having computer voices too for the geoscape, like in x-com interceptor (eg. "UFO Detected" or "Research complete" or "Interception under way"). i always like computer voices, makes the game look more hi-tech :)

Hmm, I think they should speak english, because the human mind wouldn't know how to speak alien, and the etherial uses his mind (I presume that it is translated for the human to understand commands, or the eth actually controles his body to attack humans while the guy's mind is saying noooo...

That would be really interesting to see your own soldiers attacking you, while keep saying "Nooo..." or "Leave my mind! ..." or something like... Still it is a turn based game and I have no idea how would it look or work...

It would work upon actions. If peeps remember during the alien turn when a unit was MC'ed sometimes he'd have a spacco attack and start twitching around and that. It wouldn't be too hard to have some kind of animations for when they get mind controlled so the sound could happen then. Remember it would have to be short or it would get VERY annoying. We are talking 2-3 seconds here, so a couple of words at most.

I think we should stay away from swearing. Ok its not uber realistic but we are releasing it to a wide audience and we shouldn't isolate a group of people from playing the game for a bit of fun.

We can still have the language strong without falling back on the easy cop out of swearing. We have a responsibility to the parents of kids that get the game, I know that I wouldn't want my kids playing a game (and they are old enough) with foul language in it.

Also remember that any extra options mean more programming for our overworked programming team. So for our official release, no swearing.

Now for the counterpoint. If we are to have swearing we have an 'adult' sounds pack which uses the same naming structure as the main voice pack but has the stronger language in it. This would be an optional download which would put the responsibilty on the person downloading the pack. Before the download starts we have a disclaimer on the page stating as this is an adult voice pack and should be downloaded at the users risk.

It would work upon actions. If peeps remember during the alien turn when a unit was MC'ed sometimes he'd have a spacco attack and start twitching around and that. It wouldn't be too hard to have some kind of animations for when they get mind controlled so the sound could happen then. Remember it would have to be short or it would get VERY annoying. We are talking 2-3 seconds here, so a couple of words at most.

i think "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh" (like someone who has a really big headache) would be enough :P

He he, how about the noise of the alien mind control and then "AAAAH AAAH GET IT OUT GET IT OUT ITS IN MY....."

For the panicked soldier do something similar to the Major in the base in Starship Troopers. That'd be pretty fun, annoying and concerning at the same time :)

Edited by Deimos

i don't think it's that hard to have voices without curses. i mean, in X-Com Interceptor each pilot variation has 60 different wavs for any situation (and so they don't always say the same thing in the same situations) and they didn't curse, and it was still pretty nice. or we could do some interferences when soldiers cursed (see attachment - also from X-Com Interceptor) ;)

so, i guess all we need to come up with now is the scripts, the voice actors and ppl good at editing sounds (i can do basic stuff with CoolEdit2000 like amplify, pitch and noise removal :P or i could be a voice actor of some sort. maybe i'd do computer voice... or, i could just shut up now).

Mpilot136.zip

Or, about the mind controlling, something like in 'Ghost in the Shell', where Major Kusanagi tries to dive into the Puppet Master's brain to see if there's a ghost present, but suddenly it all turns around and the Puppet Master takes control of her body ('... and has now taken control of my vocal chords' in a man's voice soming out of a women's mouth)

Well, we can probably have different voice actors for the same thing. I guess when assigning stuff to soldiers, you'd have

Nationality

Stats

Voice variant *low, med, high*

And a different actor for each variant. As for the script, I seriously think we should start throwing out ideas. I have no problem compiling the script, but I'd definitely like some input! SAVAGE, a group that does some excellent voice work, won't do anything without a completed script. And I'm gonna be a cheap bastard and assign myself to the American Medium voice variant. ^_^ Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a whole lot of editing. I can clean up my own lines, but that's about it. Magic, the guy who's in charge of SAVAGE, does some great work with editing, and if nobody else is up for it, I can probably badger him into doing some editing.

But like I've been saying, we really need to come up with a script. I think using that morale percentage system for inflections and tone is a good idea. Mind control stuff can probably be left up to the individual VAs, because those're always fun to do. But we need to figure out exactly what sorts of reactions we're going to have, what events, etc.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have hit and death sounds, too, so if someone wants to start grunting and screaming, go on ahead! =b

Having played Aftermath for 5 minutes I realised that unit responeses are incredibly annoying. We should keep them to a minimum, I have turned them off already because they are so annoying, we should take this game as an example.

IMO, all the alien names should be recorded at the end of the sound bite, like "__ spotted! sectoid snakeman muton etc" Then we can edit the sound file and paste each name in as needed using code I guess. Since it's recorded at the same time it would give the same tone and rate of speech as the rest of the line, so it doesn't sound dubbed when pasted together later on.

OK, since Rhyos has asked about 5 times now, here's a starter script. Items in brackets are variables that can be swapped out to match the alien name, so long as we can record it so it doesn't sound dubbed.

spotted!

Come to pappa, !

Come to mamma, !

We've got over here! (amount would include "a", "2", etc)

I've got movement over here.

My sensors are picking up something.

I'm picking something up over there!

For lower morale:

What was that!?! (!?! would mean a worried voice? Like Rhyos' sound sample posted earlier)

They're all around us!?!

They're closing in!?!

Did you hear that!?!

What in the name of...

For panicking:

Game over man! Game over!!! (for those Aliens fans :D )

Get them away from me!!!

Leave me alone!!!

We're all gonna die!!!

Why won't this jock itch go away!!! (just kidding ^_^ )

All I can say is wait until you actually play Aftermath. Then say which responses should be included. The French accents are weak and annoying as well :cussing: Even a response for "Alien Spotted" have really started grating me. I turned them back on to see which ones really annoy me, then I realised it was 90% of them :( I don't know why but they just don't seem to work in that game, I thought they were alright in Starcraft *sigh* Edited by Jim69

=b Sorry for being so obnoxious, Bruenor!

As for annoyances, yes, crappy accents and cheesy dialogue IS annoying. I'm pretty sure this won't be! Besides, it'd be something good to add to my voice acting portfolio! I guess we could also include a mute option for those whom get annoyed, but you at LEAST need to have death screams!

Not that I've been saying for months and months that the voices in the game should be kept to a minimum or anything... All I can say Jim is I told ya didn't I :devillaugh:

I say we keep voice responses down to panicking and beserk units. Of course we need all manner of death sounds for not only the human side but the alien side too.

Death responses to explosions, gunfire (can you say friendly fire), laser hits (more friendly fire) and of course plasma hits. For the blaster bomb responses and the other larger explosives we won't need unit responses for them as the explosion will drown out any unit noises.

Like Breu suggsts we keep the unit responses to alarmed states and not for the mundane.

To add to the Script:

(Capital letters= Shouting)

Panicked unit

"WHAT THE? WHERE? THEY'RE ALL AROUND US. AAAAH"

"I want my mommy" ??

"HEEELLPP MEEE"

"This sucks, get me outta here"

"Somebody help me, they're im my mind..."

"YEEEEAAAAAGGGGHHH"

"Thats it, I'm never sleeping again."

"Somebody get me the heck outta here"

Beserk unit (for the aliens fans)

"YOU WANT SOME... YOU TOO? OH YOU WANT SOME OF THIS? YAAAAGGHH!"

"COME GET A TASTE OF MY BOOMSTICK"

"YOU WANNA PIECE OF THIS? COME AND GET IT YOU DIRTY LITTLE CANNABLISTIC OTHERWORLDY SCUM SUCKER"

"YOU ARE SOOOOO DEAD... PA PA PA POW"

"I'm gonna hit you so hard your babies will be born bruised" (ok so I'm a tank girl fan too)

I'm sure there are lots of beserk film sayings we could use artisitc licence on so come on guys get your fave film quotes in too :)

I'm sure there are lots of beserk film sayings we could use artisitc licence on so come on guys get your fave film quotes in too :)

Well, we HAVE to have the classic saying when you either go down to a virtually destroyed ship or accidentally use too many grenades:

You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

:LOL:

Yes Deimos, you were entirely correct :master:

It works well in Starcraft and Warcraft but simple fact is that in Aftermath at least 70% of them annoyed me in the first hour or so. It's not so much how they say it ( tho the accents are crap ) it's what they say. Alien spotted is fine but listening to them say stuff like Boooyahh! really gripes me big time. The more emotion they seem to show means the more annoying it gets I'm sorry to say. I'm sure if would be a lot of fun to create all these macho lines and that but I can see them getting turned off in the first 5 minutes, just like I have.

:( I don't know why but they just don't seem to work in that game, I thought they were alright in Starcraft *sigh*

indeed, voices in Starcraft were IMO a masterpiece. perfectly put and funny (the annoyed ones).

still, we should always put a disable/enable voices option.

Well, like I was saying before, we should influence the voices with morale levels. If you keep morale high, they stay calm, cool, and professional.

So at 100%-80, they're professional. "Sectoid spotted. *shots fired* He's down."

From 80-50%, they get a little nervous, "Uh-oh. We've got another one here." "*pshew!* Got 'em."

50-25%, they're really nervous, "CRAP! It's another one! GET IT!""God, I hope that's the last one!"

And 25% and below, they're suffering status effects. "GET OUT OF MY HEAAAAADDDD!!!!"

when soldiers panicked they would probably run around screaming or something. *imagines a panicked soldier running around screaming* :devillaugh:

when they went berserk they could say say "die! die you all!"

Yeah, they have that in Aftermath. The "Alien Spotted" works but it gets really annoying when he says stuff like "Got him!" ( they do actually say this quite often ).

Yeah, then you would hear more of:

man down MAN DOWN!

we have INJURED!

Get that SOB AWAY from me!!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

WE ARE UNDER FIRE, I REPEAT WE ARE UNDER FFFIIIRRRE!

We need BACKUP!!

RETTTTTTTTRRRRRRRREAT!

Heh :D

Ok, here are some more

Come get some!

Die you little b@stard!

Take this to your leader!

Here is an anal probe for you!

Uh-oh.

Were all going to die here!

Help!

Ahhh!

Save me!

I think I soiled myself

You're not probing me!

STAY AWAY FROM ME!

DIE!!!

GRRRH!

HAHHAHAHA!

MUHAHAHA

I agree with the idea that voice output be limited to panicked or berserked guys, maybe when they successfully kill an alien. I'm sure the kill is determined by code prior to the shot being fired, it would be nice to have them say something just before the shot and then drop a bug. You're right Deimos, "COME GET A TASTE OF MY BOOMSTICK" would be sweet, Army of Darkness and other quotes would be nice. That could be a fun easter egg hunt, we could find some obscure quotes that would make relevent sound bites, and have a special thanks section in the credits listing each movie if we need that.

I edited the first post with what I think would make some good script ideas. Of course, more input and variety will be appreciated! The random grunts, screaming, and stuff can be done by the individual voice actors. Like I said in the beginning, it's a very tentative sript, so more direction into how the lines are to be performed will be done later. *like sounds of strain and stuff.*

IF we want some easter egg type quotes there are plenty in The Thing which could be used for an MC if a soldier is nearby. I just can't think of any right now, gotta rent that damn movie again it is so good :laser:

Another easter egg for MC aliens: little girl walks up to a soldier and says in that familiar voice, "They're here!" Or have the model's head spin and spit pea soup at the soldier as it yells in a demonic voice, that would be a good morale check! :D