XCOMUFO & Xenocide

There Can Only Be One!

testy

Guys

Due to a unfortunate oversight, I ended up with a live Commander but no Leader! Since I didnt want to waste the Commander just to get The Martian Solution, I nipped out to the local takeaway (aka Floater Supply Ship) to grab one.

After some careful manouevering, I'd id him and was just about to fire off a stun bomb when one of the squaddies reaction-shot him. NUTS! So, reloaded the mission from the start, tried again and this time he got in the way of a grenade dropped by one of his own guys. :( Tried one last time (third time lucky) and this time he was by the entrance on the ground floor - he took out the the first Rookie through the door and was then reaction-shot by the next guy.

At this point, I gave up and just went on to complete the mission and try for a Leader on another mission....except that, in the Bridge room on the top-floor, I found (and managed to stun) ANOTHER leader!

Is this normal because I thought that, as far as Supply ships were concerned, you only ever got one Leader per Ship? For that matter, I've only ever found a single Leader on Battleships (albeit accompanied by a Commander, as well)

Cheers

From the numbers posted on the wiki, Battleships crews can have up to 2 leaders on veteran and genius, and up to 3 on superhuman. I imagine the same is true for bases and retaliation crews.

What difficulty level are you playing on? I ask because it would help in double checking the figures that have been entered into the wiki.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

From the numbers posted on the wiki, Battleships crews can have up to 2 leaders on veteran and genius, and up to 3 on superhuman. I imagine the same is true for bases and retaliation crews.

What difficulty level are you playing on? I ask because it would help in double checking the figures that have been entered into the wiki.

- NKF

It was a Floater Supply ship, on Beginner level. I must admit that it's the first time I've seen this although I hit the Floater Supply ships very regularly (they were kind enough to build a base, right on the doorstep of my North African Prime Base :)

I heard somewhere that a commander nabbed in an invasion doesnt count for research; I think it hog-wash; is it?

Not sure; my Commander was grabbed in a lucky raid on a Sectoid battleship in July 99 (Beginner level). I researched him thinking I was going to get Cydonia or Bust but forgot to research a Leader, first. Consequently, I 'used him up' and got The Martian Solution. That's why I reloaded, went out to find a Leader and ended up with two of them from one Floater Supply ship....weird!

You can only find one Commander on a Battleship. Ever. Leaders are different. You may see 1 on Beg/Exp, 2 on Vet/Gen and 3 on Superhuman. :wink1:

I heard somewhere that a commander nabbed in an invasion doesnt count for research; I think it hog-wash; is it?

Correct. I've said this before, but a commander is a commander is a commander is a commander. It doesn't matter where you capture it, when you go to research, the alien base commander will cough up the same info as a battleship commander or an X-COM base defense commander. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

I had the opposite experience. I was hoping to grab a commander on a battleship in March. Mind probed everybody before shooting, all except one alien with a blaster launcher (one of my rookies got lucky with autofire). Made my way to the bridge and was sad to see that there was no commander and concluded that that lucky shot wasn't very lucky after all. Then while checking research topics a week later I realized that I had captured a commander. Then I remembered hearing a medic go berserk with a stun launcher (I shot him a couple turns later). Bwahahaaa. Anyway, there were definitely three sectoid leaders and one commander on that battleship. I think the stats might be off for one of the smaller ships though. I think I got one more kill than what the stats said were max for superhuman on one of the smaller ships. Are you guys going on code or experience for those statistics?

Sweet early battleship mission. My guys in powered armor with plasma rifles vs. an army of sectoids and cyberdiscs with 4 psionic critters. Only lost two guys.

Edited by Pherdnut

Hmm, i suppose it's possible he stunned himself instead of killing himself and got up later...

I've found it a lot of times beginner battleships don't have any commanders in all (Roughtly 1 in 3 in my experiance)

All Battleships have one Commander. Mutons do not have a commander rank, so a Muton Battleshp will only have Soldiers, Engineers and Navigators. ;)

- Zombie

The only two races with a complete rank hierarchy are the Floaters and Sectoids. All the other races have missing ranks. Snakemen do not have Medics, Ethereals do not have Navigators, Medics or Engineers, and Mutons are missing the Medics, Leaders and Commanders.

On ships where there are supposed to be a certain rank, the aliens will substitute another in its place. Snakemen and Mutons substitute Soldiers, while Ethereals substitute Leaders. That's right, Leaders! It has been proven that Ethereal Medium Scouts and above will have at least one Leader. Usually it will be more. :)

- Zombie

Well ethereals are said to be the highest rank in alien superiority in UFOPaedia, no surprise there. As for mutons, they are said to be controlled by the ethereals from afar, therefore ethereals are their commanders. Snakemen are basically the beast masters (chrysalids) of the aliens, so why would they need a medic? I have always classified the aliens in the following ranks:

Ethereal - Commander

Sectoids - Slave

Mutons - Mindless Savage

Snakemen - Beast Master

Floater - Tech

Chrysalid - Master of Beasts

Reaper - Loyal Dog

Cyberdisk - Suicide tank

Sectopod - Upgraded tank

Silicoid - Burning brain

Celatid - floating organ (kidney?)

I classify them this way:

Ethereal - really hard

Sectoids - easy

Mutons - hard

Snakemen - easy

Floater - easy

Chrysalid - normal (except terror missions then hard)

Reaper - joke

Cyberdisk - normal to easy

Sectopod - normal

Silicoid - joke

Celatid - easy

You forgot one:

Zombie - joke. <_>

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie