XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I guess interaction would be nice. I mean here stuff like moving furnitures, using elevators (if there will be any), pulling/pushing the levers... I mean everything to make enviroment something more than just a pile of polygons able to be destroyed. I guess it would be nice to make everything pick-up-able. I know it may be quite a nonsense to cary around a telephone in backpack, but might be usefull... for someone.

If you've got any other ideas like using chairs in hth or else interaction stuff post it here... :P

It would be funny to try and rip off a chryssalid's leg and beat him to death with it :crazy:

Edit: Maby we should make some objects searchable like fallout tactics? (If this is what you are saying Extralucas, then I agree with you :)) And you could get random items, or even a message box that comes up and says "you found a moldy piece of cheese", "You found an alien foetus suspeneded in formaldihyde", "You found a anal probe with your name on it :LOL:"

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

He would bleed out anyway <_<. Or you would have to swing that leg really fast. Besides I guess no one gonna put into the game such sadizm. (Political Corectness, Violence in Computer Games, and other stuff like)

Erm.. Yeah, sure, but if aliens are possible to be cut on pieces, then why no civies and other soldiers. Plus, I think for this should be rose a new topic called "Gore" or sumtin...

Edit: But it's ok here ^_^

Edited by Extralucas

I can rip your leg off if you really want to ;)

--------------------------------------------------

Maybe exploding bodies. I mean when you toss grenade on this then it explodes. (Blood rain :P). Something like was in JA2 and IIRC this wasn't 'adults only'

Well, a lot of people seemed to think sof2 was a sick game, so maby if you had said:"like fallout" or something it might have been better recieved. Possibly :)

Besides, gore can be added after version 1 right? Just have an "Adult Mode" like duke nukem 3d. Mmm, strippers and violence. :)

Well, a lot of people seemed to think sof2 was a sick game, so maby if you had said:"like fallout" or something it might have been better recieved. Possibly :)

Besides, gore can be added after version 1 right? Just have an "Adult Mode" like duke nukem 3d. Mmm, strippers and violence. :)

Duke Nukem was also considered a sick game. Doom was described as a "Mass Murder Simulator" by critics. Every release of GTA has recieved criticism. The ones who think it effects people are the same ones who write in to programs like Point Of View saying "I was totally shocked when I was watching the news and a commentator uttered the C word."

Edit: I won't post ne more here coz it's going a little off topic, I'd imagine the posts will be moved soon enough :)

Edited by Jim69

Anyway, to get back on topic. Sometimes certain items could have a use. For instance, you see keys, those keys obviously open a door. Or you see a sectoid watching tv in a dead civie's house, so you take a wire from a nearby paino and well...

Or how about you pickup a kitchen knife and throw it at an etherial's head? I can imagine the possibilities now... :D

Well about the interface, apoc had the inventory screen mean what is directly below the agent, and what is next to the agent (if it is pickupable obviously.)

It shouldn't be that hard to do.

I like the idea of using items on your enemies, I mean, how hard is it to add a few of "secret" melee weapons? :)

If you disagree, please tell why. :)

Secret weapons are completly different to being able to pick up everything in a house. It all needs to be lined up so the soldier looks like he is holding it and can you imagine that with over 200 items?

I'm not against secret weapons in game but that is a different topic completly, in fact one that already exists, the question of this topic is that everything should be interactive. How many soldiers in real life would go wading through some womans pantie draw when there are killer aliens in the vicinity? It is totally not worth the trouble IMO.

Edited by Jim69

Hey, if I can save the world and get some action at the same time, is that really a bad thing? :D

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/hyper.gif

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Action with sectoids, and their limbs, isn't enough for you?

Oh, maybe I didn't mean such interaction like with panties drawer, but maybe something like entering building via window, for example. (When you for some reason don't want use doors.)

Entry through a bay window would be cool, other windows would probably be too small I think. More animation would be needed to get them to go through normal sized windows, tho it would be cool. Just shoot the damn wall out with a plasma bolt :LOL:

Dum di dum, right, hmmmm, sectoids by the door ah ha! The windows!

*You go up to the second floor, you up to the roof, and you round there*

*BOOM* WTF? What the h*ll do you think you are doing squaddie? *making a hole in the wall with the plasma tank sir*

And that makes many things just easier. You can avoid some aliens if you like (Chryssalids - they weren't problem since you had fly suits quite fast, tho). Roof is nice scouting and grenade tossing point.

• 2 weeks later...

But on the original topic, perhaps there can be something that can make the players a bit more intimate with their soldiers? I personally try to keep the same starting 8, and get to know them by name. Perhaps have a sort of personal file for each, randomly generated by gender? I think I'm thinking V1+++++ here, but perhaps all communication to and from X-com bases have to be screened, and you can determine what can reach your troops' ears or not. You can choose to ignore it, and just get on with the game, but there could be certain penalties or gains to the individual soldiers' stats *temporarily* depending on what messages they get. For instance, if I were an X-com soldier, it would really suck to hear that my girlfriend left me for an alien lover right before a mission *increased chance to go berzerk/lowered morale*. But at the same time, if I had heard that my wife just had a baby, I'd be that much more determined to make the world a safer place and blah blah blah. *increased morale/bravery*

Also, it would incur a more personal penalty to the player if they lost a soldier whom they knew a lot about. There are quite a few people here who are more creative than I, so hopefully it'll either be expanded upon, or shot down.

Quite good, cause makes you closer with soldiers, but may be annoying to keep digging through thousands of reports, about soldier's personal life. But I like it.

Well, like I said, it can be ignored. You don't NEED to go through their stuff. In fact, if you want to get REALLY detailed, if you eliminate TOO much stuff, then they get suspicious, and their morale goes down, etc. But the changes would be minor. I didn't let my most recent breakup affect how I did at work, even though it was distracting. So it would be minor at best.

How minor do you suggest? 10 bravery points? 5 bravery points? Or maybe lower starting morale? (IIRC 60 morale was moment when your soldiers were starting berserking, and panicing around.)

since we're talking about item interactivity, one thing i enjoyed about JA2 was the throwable items you found in the game (rocks, knifes, etc.) which can always prove useful when you're desperate (or out of ammo) and you gotta kill that alien!

well, another thing i had fun in JA2 was to put my guns to good use. the enemy is almost dead but i'm out of ammo. what do i do? i throw the guns at his head, killing him :P of course if i didn't have a good aim i could damage my teammates when throwing stuff at them <_>

i'm sure getting hit with stuff causes damage, so... nice idea er not?

Or throwing some rocks to lure aliens to that spot (which of course is covered by 4 of your best snipers and a rocket tank just to be sure :naughty: )

if i know those aliens, they'd probably zap the rock then go near it ;)

still, nice strategic ideas. i see a future in this... if we implement it ;)

If anyone wants to see how does it work in practice then play Commandos, Beyond Call of Duty where you could use trick with rock.