XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Debian Package

Dorian

http://62.2.177.13/stuff/ufo2k_0.7/

Please note that ufo2000-music contains stuff that potentialy not free )

In fact John Broomhall is copyright owner as far as i know.

Known bugs :

Memory leak on linux kernel 2.6.19.1 witch causes the whole system to hang.

Fail to build on _64 system :

g++ -funsigned-char -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -I src/lua -I src/luasqlite3 -DDEBUGMODE -DUFO_SVNVERSION=\"exported\" -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/freetype2 -DHAVE_FREETYPE -DGLYPH_TARGET=GLYPH_TARGET_ALLEGRO -DGK_NO_LEGACY -DHAVE_DUMBOGG -DHAVE_PNG -DLINUX -I/usr/include -o ufo2000-srv obj-srv/server_config.o obj-srv/server_main.o obj-srv/server_protocol.o obj-srv/server_game.o obj-srv/md5.o obj-srv/server_transport.o obj-srv/lapi.o obj-srv/lauxlib.o obj-srv/lbaselib.o obj-srv/lcode.o obj-srv/ldblib.o obj-srv/ldebug.o obj-srv/ldo.o obj-srv/ldump.o obj-srv/lfunc.o obj-srv/lgc.o obj-srv/liolib.o obj-srv/llex.o obj-srv/lmathlib.o obj-srv/lmem.o obj-srv/loadlib.o obj-srv/lobject.o obj-srv/lopcodes.o obj-srv/lparser.o obj-srv/lstate.o obj-srv/lstring.o obj-srv/lstrlib.o obj-srv/ltable.o obj-srv/ltablib.o obj-srv/ltests.o obj-srv/ltm.o obj-srv/lundump.o obj-srv/lvm.o obj-srv/lzio.o obj-srv/sqlite3_command.o obj-srv/sqlite3_connection.o obj-srv/sqlite3_internal.o obj-srv/sqlite3_reader.o -lsqlite3 -lNL -pthread

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `obj-srv/server_config.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `obj-srv/sqlite3_reader.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

obj-srv/server_config.o: In function `split_with_colon(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)':

server_config.cpp:(.text+0x4c4): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char,

etc

Edited by Dorian

Thanks for taking over the job of adding debian packages support. Can you provide these improvements in the form of patches against SVN trunk?

Also we can probably consider debian packaging done only after the package gets accepted in some repository. I don't have a debian system myself, so I really can't do much about this. Would you try to advocate inclusion of ufo2000 package into debian compatible distributions once the technical issues are fully resolved and the copyright status is clear?

My plan is to make a branch from 0.7.1062 version (as it was used for about half a year already), backport some important fixes (replay fix for example) and announce it as a stable release 0.8.x (x is the SVN revision number). Current SVN version id can be bumped to 0.9.x, all the beta versions can be compiled from it, and released later as either 1.0.x or 0.10.x stable version once it is considered ready for promotion to stable status. So we will have 'stable' (intended for inclusion into various distributives and for users who don't like to upgrade too often) and 'beta' (for those who like to use latest features) versions again.

I'm trying to ensure that ufo2000 is properly supported in gentoo linux:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142392

Please note that ufo2000-music contains stuff that potentialy not free )

In fact John Broomhall is copyright owner as far as i know.

You can check these two thread for the information about current ufo2000 music:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4231

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025527

It was created by dickie back in 2004. Unfortunately most of the details have been lost in now missing mailing list. I asked dickie that time about how he would like to be credited in the AUTHORS file, but he did not provide this information, and it was my fault not to handle this issue more thoroughfully. Properly tracking credits is one of the problems discussed here: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242027773

But if some soundtracks really belong to John Broomhall, please provide more details and we will be sure to remove them. We are trying not to include anything copyrighted and proprietary into ufo2000 distribution.

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `obj-srv/server_config.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

Looks like you have a stale object file remaining from i386 build.

Thanks for taking over the job of adding debian packages support. Can you provide these improvements in the form of patches against SVN trunk?

Sure. But from my point of view it is necessary to discuss possibilities of copyright violation. I've replaced loading_screen.png for the instance.

Also we can probably consider debian packaging done only after the package gets accepted in some repository.

It is doubtful to get it in the debian before compilation problems will be eliminated completely ,)

However, i've sent RFP request already. Since i'm not debian maintainer yet.

I don't have a debian system myself, so I really can't do much about this. Would you try to advocate inclusion of ufo2000 package into debian compatible distributions once the technical issues are fully resolved and the copyright status is clear?

I'd put my builds to the court of #debian-russian irc channel on freenode network. Seems it is too raw.

But i will try my best.

By the way, i think the progress of including ufo2000 into debian unstable repositary will be better if you get rid of libdumb0, which is replaced with new one -- libdumb1, and hawknl.

My plan is to make a branch from 0.7.1062 version (as it was used for about half a year already), backport some important fixes (replay fix for example) and announce it as a stable release 0.8.x (x is the SVN revision number). Current SVN version id can be bumped to 0.9.x, all the beta versions can be compiled from it, and released later as either 1.0.x or 0.10.x stable version once it is considered ready for promotion to stable status. So we will have 'stable' (intended for inclusion into various distributives and for users who don't like to upgrade too often) and 'beta' (for those who like to use latest features) versions again.

And which version will be `massive multiplayer` ?

Hard to believe that it has no bugs.

http://www.sisyphus.ru/srpm/ufo2000/spec

Maintainer prevent running the server with root privileges.

It was created by dickie back in 2004.

Is it true, that original x-com in abandoned state. So it can be possible to distribute it under one of open source licenses ?

I've didn't manage to find any links to copyrighter.

But if some soundtracks really belong to John Broomhall, please provide more details and we will be sure to remove them.

I was talking about soundtracks, that i taken responsibility to pack in .deb

Well, some of them.

Btw, John Broomhall is not responding on emails.

Edited by Dorian

Is it true, that original x-com in abandoned state. So it can be possible to distribute it under one of open source licenses ?

I've didn't manage to find any links to copyrighter.

Abandoned, maybe. Open source licence, no.

Legaly there is no such thing as abandoned, it just means that no one cares enough to sue about it anymore.

And it will take a long time before the copyright for it expires.

Dorian, seems like we have strayed from the original topic too much :)

As for legally using original game resources in the default ufo2000 distribution, I don't think we can hope for that. Oldtype already mentioned the reasons why this is generally unlikely to work out. In any case, these resources are now the property of some company (Hasbro bought MicroProse, but after that, the traces of who is the current x-com trademark owner are lost). We can't use any proprietary resources without getting an official written permission from the real owner, otherwise there would be too much troubles (our legal status would be always questioned and we will have no chances to get included into debian repository for example).

One more reason is that countless people for many years tried to find out who owns x-com now to get such permission, but all failed. So the statistics works against you :)

You can continue your crusade with trying to get this permission. Once you obtain it, you will become a hero in the x-com community, but until then, there is not much sense discussing it. At least not in this topic.

As for the music, we have lots of other options and using original proprietary x-com soundtracks is not worth efforts here.

EDIT: I remembered that I'm also a moderator and have split the topic. We can discuss the possibility of getting permission to use original soundtracks and other data files here: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242027819

Edited by Serge

Sure. But from my point of view it is necessary to discuss possibilities of copyright violation. I've replaced loading_screen.png for the instance.

What's the problem with the loading screen? It should be perfectly ok.

It is doubtful to get it in the debian before compilation problems will be eliminated completely ,)

However, i've sent RFP request already. Since i'm not debian maintainer yet.

I know it. That's why I tried to warn you that we still have a long way before the goal of having a stable debian package is achieved :) I really appreciate that you stepped in to work on this.

By the way, i think the progress of including ufo2000 into debian unstable repositary will be better if you get rid of libdumb0, which is replaced with new one -- libdumb1, and hawknl.

Support for libdumb will be dropped as the new version is heavily incompatible and the old one has security problems. Hawknl is also quite an inconvenient dependencies and the reason for many compilation troubles. It was probably a mistake to use it from the start, but I had a hope that it would solve network API portability problems. If you know a good lightweight portable wrapper for sockets, please let me know.

And which version will be `massive multiplayer` ?

Have no idea. We don't have any plans for adding massive multiplayer support in the near future as far as I know. There are lots of other things to do which have higher priority.

Hard to believe that it has no bugs.

http://www.sisyphus.ru/srpm/ufo2000/spec

Maintainer prevent running the server with root privileges.

I did not quite understand what you tried to point out, but generally running server as root is not a very good idea. Though the server should be quite reliable and buffer overflow bugs resistant (it uses STL strings for most of the stuff). Also maybe we don't need to include the server into the same package with the game itself.

By the way, this is interesting to see that some lesser linux distributive has the packages for ufo2000 already (outdated old stuff, but anyway) :)

What's the problem with the loading screen? It should be perfectly ok.

New one :

http://62.2.177.13/stuff/ufo2k_0.7/art/loading_screen.png

Resembles something ? )

Hawknl is also quite an inconvenient dependencies and the reason for many compilation troubles.

Not compilation problems in my case, but i'm anticipating problems during support it in debian.

It was probably a mistake to use it from the start, but I had a hope that it would solve network API portability problems. If you know a good lightweight portable wrapper for sockets, please let me know.

i've asked on debian-russian irc :

boost, boost::asio, perhaps

Have no idea. We don't have any plans for adding massive multiplayer support in the near future as far as I know. There are lots of other things to do which have higher priority.

Then menu.jpg should be fixed. It contains `massive multiplayer game based on XCOM saga`

I did not quite understand what you tried to point out, but generally running server as root is not a very good idea. Though the server should be quite reliable and buffer overflow bugs resistant (it uses STL strings for most of the stuff). Also maybe we don't need to include the server into the same package with the game itself.

Then probably it would be wise to make daemon, which running with user's uid ?

By the way, this is interesting to see that some lesser linux distributive has the packages for ufo2000 already (outdated old stuff, but anyway) :)

ALT Linux accommodated more packages then debian as i see )

I'm not finding this.

Then menu.jpg should be fixed. It contains `massive multiplayer game based on XCOM saga`

I don't see where you are seeing this. And no, it's undecided, so it's not that big of a deal.

How about Ubuntu? I'm using Ubuntu.

Youre free to take sources and build package for your system.

Thanks, I might just do that, once I figure out how. :rolleyes:

I built new debian packages which seems corresponds to debian policy. There's opened problems :

1. It hangs in some circumstances due to memory exhausting.

During choosing weapons and even sliding mouse cursor over items i see valuable memory usage.

I fail to figure out the source of problem. Valgrind says "segmentation fault", mpatrol says nothing useful and qprof output is already shown.

2. It is impossible to include resources from original games to any debian distribution.

Original X-COM ships without any license. From debian's point of view that's even wrose than a license which forbids redistribuition outright

So i suggest to place resources on ufo2000.sf.net and write script, which will dounload it on setup stage.

3. Dependencies from hawknl and old libdumb0

Is it exists page with description of developers current work?

I'm able to participate. For me especially will be interesting to redesign server part with boost.

4. ufo2000 development progress is too slow : )

Edited by Dorian

I'm not finding this.

It is splash screen from original X-COM.

I don't see where you are seeing this. And no, it's undecided, so it's not that big of a deal.

Look careful

Take my makefile and debian catalog, edit it, install dpkg-dev, then

get sources : svn co https://ufo2000.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufo2000 ufo2000

cd ufo2000/trunk

export . ../../<ufo200 source dir>

cd ../../<ufo200 source dir>

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

2. It is impossible to include resources from original games to any debian distribution.

Original X-COM ships without any license. From debian's point of view that's even wrose than a license which forbids redistribuition outright

So i suggest to place resources on ufo2000.sf.net and write script, which will dounload it on setup stage.

Thats OK, I think.

X-COM is not required to run the game anymore, or is it?

I am not sure.

I built new debian packages which seems corresponds to debian policy. There's opened problems :

1. It hangs in some circumstances due to memory exhausting.

During choosing weapons and even sliding mouse cursor over items i see valuable memory usage.

I fail to figure out the source of problem. Valgrind says "segmentation fault", mpatrol says nothing useful and qprof output is already shown.

Try to build a debian package based on version 0.7.1062, I suspect that it would work fine and memory consumption would be minimal.

Well, if you recheck this thread, adding x-com music and graphics was originally your idea and we all opposed to it as much as we could :) It is good that we have come to understanding each other. Also we will not distribute any x-com resources from sourceforge page, it is explicitly forbidden by its terms of use. Why are you trying to stick to the original x-com resources so much? They are supported by the game, but not required. We need to move on and extend the game with more free stuff.

3. Dependencies from hawknl and old libdumb0

Is it exists page with description of developers current work?

I'm able to participate. For me especially will be interesting to redesign server part with boost.

In my opinion boost is too bloated, it should be possible to make some simple wrappers for sockets without pulling in this extra dependency. The first priority is to get rid of hawknl dependency in the game itself, we DON'T HAVE TO PACKAGE A SERVER WITH THE GAME (sorry for writing in capitals, but this is important point), it may be an additional and less important package (much less people need it). If you want to work on the server (especially redesign it), keep in mind that the server has much more strict reliability and security requirements, if you are confident in your skills, you can surely work on this part of code.

4. ufo2000 development progress is too slow : )

Too slow for what? It is up to us all to fix this 'problem' :)

I fail to figure out the source of problem. Valgrind says "segmentation fault"

Make sure that you build the game with 'make valgrind=1' option, also allegro library should be configured with '--disable-asm' option (otherwise valgring chokes on some of its assembly optimized code).

It is splash screen from original X-COM.

Ufo2k doesn't come packaged with said screen.

Look careful

I did, and only found that in your Debian package.

Take my makefile and debian catalog, edit it, install dpkg-dev, then

get sources : svn co https://ufo2000.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufo2000 ufo2000

cd ufo2000/trunk

export . ../../

cd ../../

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Ok thanks, I'll try this when I find the time tomorrow. :)

edit: What do you mean by 'edit'? Could you be a little more specific? I'm a little new to this stuff.

Edited by Kratos

Well, if you recheck this thread, adding x-com music and graphics was originally your idea and we all opposed to it as much as we could :) It is good that we have come to understanding each other. Also we will not distribute any x-com resources from sourceforge page, it is explicitly forbidden by its terms of use.

There is many places apart sf.

Why are you trying to stick to the original x-com resources so much? They are supported by the game, but not required. We need to move on and extend the game with more free stuff.

Not required, no one opposes it but, in my case, at least, game running with one skin, one map and without sound of shot.

In my opinion boost is too bloated, it should be possible to make some simple wrappers for sockets without pulling in this extra dependency. The first priority is to get rid of hawknl dependency in the game itself, we DON'T HAVE TO PACKAGE A SERVER WITH THE GAME (sorry for writing in capitals, but this is important point), it may be an additional and less important package (much less people need it).

The easiest way in my opinion is to make hawknl the part of distribution.

As i see server is not running as daemon and even do not have man page.

For common sense i suppose. It's Seven years already in development, am i right ?

Edited by Dorian

./ufo2000-debug

Invalid translation for 'Unable to delete temporary file %s!' in the language file ./translations/ufo2000-deu.po

getFileType(): offset 440

0x0 0x3c 0x3a 0x3a 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x21 0x20 0x20

getFileType(): offset 112

0x0 0x8 0xd0 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20

getFileType(): offset 440

0x0 0x3c 0x3a 0x3a 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x21 0x20 0x20

getFileType(): offset 112

0x0 0x8 0xd0 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20

Duplicate item with name 'Ethereal Corpse' - ignored

Tileset 'moonbase' initialized, 82 tiles, crc32 = EBA287A1

Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11

Segmentation fault

liballegro4.1

and with liballegro4.2 :

make valgrind=1

g++ -funsigned-char -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -I src/lua -I src/luasqlite3 -DDEBUGMODE -DUFO_SVNVERSION=\"exported\" -g -O2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -DHAVE_FREETYPE -DGLYPH_TARGET=GLYPH_TARGET_ALLEGRO -DGK_NO_LEGACY -DHAVE_DUMBOGG -DHAVE_PNG -DLINUX -I/usr/include -o ufo2000-debug obj-debug/bullet.o obj-debug/cell.o obj-debug/config.o obj-debug/connect.o obj-debug/crc32.o obj-debug/dirty.o obj-debug/editor.o obj-debug/explo.o obj-debug/font.o obj-debug/icon.o obj-debug/inventory.o obj-debug/item.o obj-debug/keys.o obj-debug/main.o obj-debug/mainmenu.o obj-debug/map.o obj-debug/map_pathfind.o obj-debug/minimap.o obj-debug/mouse.o obj-debug/multiplay.o obj-debug/music.o obj-debug/packet.o obj-debug/pck.o obj-debug/persist.o obj-debug/place.o obj-debug/platoon.o obj-debug/position.o obj-debug/random.o obj-debug/scenario.o obj-debug/server_gui.o obj-debug/server_protocol.o obj-debug/server_transport.o obj-debug/skin.o obj-debug/soldier.o obj-debug/fpasprite.o obj-debug/gui.o obj-debug/sound.o obj-debug/spk.o obj-debug/stats.o obj-debug/terrapck.o obj-debug/text.o obj-debug/units.o obj-debug/video.o obj-debug/wind.o obj-debug/geoscape.o obj-debug/zfstream.o obj-debug/script_api.o obj-debug/lapi.o obj-debug/lauxlib.o obj-debug/lbaselib.o obj-debug/lcode.o obj-debug/ldblib.o obj-debug/ldebug.o obj-debug/ldo.o obj-debug/ldump.o obj-debug/lfunc.o obj-debug/lgc.o obj-debug/liolib.o obj-debug/llex.o obj-debug/lmathlib.o obj-debug/lmem.o obj-debug/loadlib.o obj-debug/lobject.o obj-debug/lopcodes.o obj-debug/lparser.o obj-debug/lstate.o obj-debug/lstring.o obj-debug/lstrlib.o obj-debug/ltable.o obj-debug/ltablib.o obj-debug/ltests.o obj-debug/ltm.o obj-debug/lundump.o obj-debug/lvm.o obj-debug/lzio.o obj-debug/e_acos.o obj-debug/e_asin.o obj-debug/e_atan2.o obj-debug/e_exp.o obj-debug/e_fmod.o obj-debug/e_log.o obj-debug/e_pow.o obj-debug/e_rem_pio2.o obj-debug/e_remainder.o obj-debug/e_scalb.o obj-debug/e_sqrt.o obj-debug/k_cos.o obj-debug/k_rem_pio2.o obj-debug/k_sin.o obj-debug/k_tan.o obj-debug/s_atan.o obj-debug/s_ceil.o obj-debug/s_copysign.o obj-debug/s_cos.o obj-debug/s_fabs.o obj-debug/s_floor.o obj-debug/s_rint.o obj-debug/s_scalbn.o obj-debug/s_sin.o obj-debug/s_tan.o obj-debug/w_acos.o obj-debug/w_asin.o obj-debug/w_atan2.o obj-debug/w_exp.o obj-debug/w_fmod.o obj-debug/w_log.o obj-debug/w_pow.o obj-debug/w_remainder.o obj-debug/w_sqrt.o obj-debug/md5.o obj-debug/aalg.o obj-debug/aase.o obj-debug/abeos.o obj-debug/abitmap.o obj-debug/agtk.o obj-debug/agup.o obj-debug/ans.o obj-debug/aphoton.o obj-debug/awin95.o obj-debug/decode.o obj-debug/encode.o obj-debug/io.o obj-debug/jpgalleg.o obj-debug/scale2x.o obj-debug/glyph.o obj-debug/dumbogg.o obj-debug/loadpng.o obj-debug/regpng.o obj-debug/savepng.o -lexpat -lfreetype -lz -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg -laldmb -ldumb -lpng -lz -lNL -pthread -L/usr/lib -lalleg-4.2.0 -lm -lpthread -lXxf86vm -lXcursor -lXpm -lXext -lX11 -ldl

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libdumb.so.1, needed by /usr/lib/libaldmb.so, may conflict with libdumb.so.0

./ufo2000-debug

Invalid translation for 'Unable to delete temporary file %s!' in the language file translations/ufo2000-deu.po

Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11

Segmentation fault

Edited by Dorian

Well, if you recheck this thread, adding x-com music and graphics was originally your idea and we all opposed to it as much as we could :) It is good that we have come to understanding each other. Also we will not distribute any x-com resources from sourceforge page, it is explicitly forbidden by its terms of use.

There is many places apart sf.

Well, do as you wish but I am officially uninvolved :) We used to have support for automatic downloading data files from x-com (actually data files from x-com demo) in win32-installer. That was possible because x-com demo was available for download from microprose ftp (we did not download directly from microprose, but mirrored it at lxnt.info in order not to abuse their bandwidth). But now microprose ftp is not available anymore, in addition it was a temporary solution until we got a full set of our own graphics.

Why are you trying to stick to the original x-com resources so much? They are supported by the game, but not required. We need to move on and extend the game with more free stuff.

Not required, no one opposes it but, in my case, at least, game running with one skin, one map and without sound of shot.

On the optimistic side, the goal of running with only a free content was just recently achieved, so we may expect things to improve over time. Also shot sounds are not a problem, they should be supported in the latest beta already.

The easiest way in my opinion is to make hawknl the part of distribution.

Yes, I considered that too, but I'm worried about system dependent stuff in it, we may get troubles building the game for MacOS, FreeBSD or other systems. In addition, I had to add some workarounds for amd64 in the code which uses hawknl. The original goal of using hawknl was a hope to solve portability issues, but it does not do a good job and still causes troubles sometimes.

The easiest way in my opinion is to keep using hawknl for win32, but switch to plain BSD sockets for POSIX systems in the game. This would effectively remove hawknl dependency for distro packagers. We will still need hawknl for the server as its network code is a bit more complicated, but that's not a big issue, see more explanations below.

As i see server is not running as daemon and even do not have man page.

There was no demand to run it as a daemon or add a man page for it. Putting efforts in the ability to easily run alternative ufo2000 servers is not a high priority for us :) The sources for the server are available, anyone can compile them and run it, probably tweaking a few things. The only game server related concern for us is to ensure that it runs fine at http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com

If you want to improve the server to make it generally usable, you are welcome. But don't complain about it being not suitable for your needs right now.

For common sense i suppose. It's Seven years already in development, am i right ?

Yes, it is 7 years in development, with some long pauses in development though (you can recall the last half a year break). The longest more than 1 year pause was when the initial author Alexander Ivanov registered the project at sourceforge in 2001 after losing motivation in developing the game anymore and uploaded the sources there. I took over the project some time in 2002. Initially I was mostly the only developer working on it in my free time (with a few patches submitted by others). You may guess that I also have a job and other interests besides ufo2000 (that became a real problem recently). Later some people were joining the project, some were leaving shortly after contributing the features they were interested in. We are getting more people interested in ufo2000 as it progresses (with many new contributors over the last year or two) and that's a good trend. During all this time we had a consistent improvement, I think we managed our limited resources quite efficiently (game improvements per man*hours) getting all the new features available to the users immediately following 'release often, release early' strategy. You don't have to believe me, but can easily check SVN changelog and also release notes information plus the announcements on the webpage (for the list of user visible changes).

Considering all this, I think the development speed is ok for common sense. If you think you can do a better job, you are welcome to join us or if you don't like the way we are working, you are free to start a fork ;)

Edited by Serge

Well, do as you wish but I am officially uninvolved :)

Ok, but before i'll ask for advice again )

Also shot sounds are not a problem, they should be supported in the latest beta already.

In .1073 they are supported but not included as i understand ?

If you want to improve the server to make it generally usable, you are welcome. But don't complain about it being not suitable for your needs right now.

I'm not used to complain )

Considering all this, I think the development speed is ok for common sense. If you think you can do a better job, you are welcome to join us or if you don't like the way we are working, you are free to start a fork ;)

Since the goal of that topic is to help approach to stable release i'm a bit of concerned about actual disposition. In fact, debian packages that have important bugs in opened state too long, disappears from distribution.

Btw, "Irrational Games" is working on multiplayer version of x-com remake.

p.s. Taking in account the size of project, idea about fork sound like nonsense : )

p.p.s New URL: http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/ufo2000

It is possible to make package with server later.

Edited by Dorian

Since the goal of that topic is to help approach to stable release i'm a bit of concerned about actual disposition. In fact, debian packages that have important bugs in opened state too long, disappears from distribution.

The goal of this topic is to approach to the next stable release. We don't have any important bugs in an open state as far as I know. Everything really important was resolved quickly, am I missing something?

Btw, "Irrational Games" is working on multiplayer version of x-com remake.

This may be a good news. Will they provide a native linux version? ;)

The goal of this topic is to approach to the next stable release. We don't have any important bugs in an open state as far as I know. Everything really important was resolved quickly, am I missing something?

Memory leak, for the instance. But i've mentioned potential bugs.

This may be a good news. Will they provide a native linux version? ;)

I'm not sure, but it is not so important as possibility to lose one of the reasons for making massive multiplayer x-com based game.

Edited by Dorian

Memory leak, for the instance. But i've mentioned potential bugs.

As far as I know, version 0.7.1062 should be ok (it was a release candidate as a result of feature freeze stage, bugfixing and testing) and it was used for about half a year without any serious problems by a lot of people. It was expected to become the next release but I just did not have enough time to update documentation and do other release management duties (such as posting news and promoting it). The current unstable development builds have some new features added and may have some bugs and stability issues, that's unavoidable.

If you want to continue experiments with debian packaging, better try the stable branch (based on the 0.7.1062 version with the latest version of freetype support fixes): https://ufo2000.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...00/branches/0.8

Bugs in the trunk will be fixed eventually, but releasing a new stable version (intended for long term support and inclusion into various distributions) is top priority now.

And it is worth mentioning that independence from the proprietary data files was the primary goal for this release. That's why a lot of efforts were spent on this work while we could improve gameplay features instead. I expect that this release is an important milestone which should bring much more attention to our project and help to speed up the development. Packaging for major linux distributives is certainly a good idea now.

As far as I know, version 0.7.1062 should be ok

I was trying to build 0.7.1062 with gcc-3.3 and 4.1 :

g++ -MMD -funsigned-char -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -I src/lua -DDEBUGMODE -DUFO_SVNVERSION=\"exported\" -O2 -pipe -DLINUX -I/usr/include -c src/bullet.cpp -o obj/bullet.o

src/global.h:415: error: expected initializer before '*' token

src/server.h:46: error: extra qualification 'ClientServer::' on member 'connect'

src/server.h:66: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ServerDispatch' with no type

src/server.h:66: error: expected ';' before '*' token

src/server.h:77: error: expected `)' before '*' token

src/server_protocol.h: In constructor 'ServerClientUfo::ServerClientUfo(ServerDispatch*, NLsocket)':

src/server_protocol.h:64: error: no matching function for call to 'ServerClient::ServerClient(ServerDispatch*&, NLsocket&)'

src/server.h:58: note: candidates are: ServerClient::ServerClient()

src/server.h:58: note: ServerClient::ServerClient(const ServerClient&)

If you want to continue experiments with debian packaging, better try the stable branch (based on the 0.7.1062 version with the latest version of freetype support fixes): https://ufo2000.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...00/branches/0.8

I will try, but hope to figure out the reason of memory leaks.

Btw, your url is broken.

• 8 months later...

Hi folks. I'm a member of the Debian games team, and I'm interested in packaging up ufo 2000 for inclusion in Debian. I've come across your existing packaging effort. Are you still interested in progressing with this?

Would you be interested in having the packaging effort done by the Debian games team (and joining the team if necessary)? There are a number of stumbling blocks with the existing packaging which stop it being appropriate for Debian but nothing that can't be fixed :-)

Please let me know either here or preferrably by email if you are still interested ([email protected]) .

Hi folks. I'm a member of the Debian games team, and I'm interested in packaging up ufo 2000 for inclusion in Debian. I've come across your existing packaging effort. Are you still interested in progressing with this?

Would you be interested in having the packaging effort done by the Debian games team (and joining the team if necessary)? There are a number of stumbling blocks with the existing packaging which stop it being appropriate for Debian but nothing that can't be fixed :-)

Please let me know either here or preferrably by email if you are still interested ([email protected]) .

That would actually be pretty nice. I myself have not been involved in this post since I don't know a lick about Debian systems but I think that would be an awesome opportunity for the ufo2000 game. If we can iron out those little bugsies (and together we can !), Debian users could have a pretty nice included game to play too IMHO.

Jon, you can contact me also, my email should be in my profile.

I know I haven't been around a lot lately and please excuse me for this. Life tends to do that to you. However I have not forgotten this project and will work on it as soon as I get a bit more time for myself.

Edited by nachtwolf

• 2 years later...

Bumping the thread in the hope to get some feedback :)

Well, I just want to know if anybody is actually using that 'debian' directory in the ufo2000 source tree. If not, I think it is better to purge it. The problem is that as part of this packaging effort, 'install' target was added to the makefile. This 'install' target does not actually install the game properly contrary to what some people might expect. So it would be better to address this problem somehow and eliminate this source of confusion.

I'm going to try introducing a standard autotools based configure script soon, but would like to know if there other opinions regarding this matter.

Thanks.