XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Game Exploits

LordT

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, you cannot use a Chryssalids HTH attack yourself. Only the aliens can. Sad but true. :boohoo:

- Zombie

• 4 months later...
Sometimes when I'm approching a battleship or a suppy ship from the northwest (Top left) with a flying suit on the highest altitude, I can see through the 2nd story wall, and one time I even reaction-fired a snakeman inside. I've tryed replicating this effect, but it appears to be random and I can never do it whenever I TRY to.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a not so useful glitch involving stun.

There is an item cap per map (I don't mean the 80-items on board thing, there's is some rope left for the aliens and all their goods). If you take down a battleship or terror ship or go to a terror site (Anyplace with lots of stuff to take), aliens don't get stunned propery (then again, neither do you).

An alien which is stunned while the item cap is up turns invisible and stays concious (The stunned body is an item which the game cannot create. The alien can be stunned multiple times, or shot at to bring it's health below the stun damage (Thereby stunning it some more).

On the other hand, if some of your men happen to get stunned, you get the lovely little messege that tells you they've been stuned, but no bodies to be found. You don't get penalized for their deaths, but when the mission ends they are nowhere to be found. I lost 3 of my best captains that way (One of whom was a psi master). :(

How is this an exploit? Consider:

If we assume that stunning an alien gives exp equivilant to a kill (And it may not. I'm not sure it gives any exp at all), you can alternate guys standing in front of an unarmed alien and constantly proding it with a stun rod, earning massive experiance for your whole squad.

If my theory is correct, I just found a renewable source of kills. :)

If not...I found a really ****** way to lose men. :(

edit by Azrael: Watch the language, censorship is there for a reason.

Edited by Azrael

An alien which is stunned while the item cap is up turns invisible and stays concious (The stunned body is an item which the game cannot create. The alien can be stunned multiple times, or shot at to bring it's health below the stun damage (Thereby stunning it some more).

How is this an exploit? Consider:

If we assume that stunning an alien gives exp equivilant to a kill (And it may not. I'm not sure it gives any exp at all), you can alternate guys standing in front of an unarmed alien and constantly proding it with a stun rod, earning massive experiance for your whole squad.

I actually noticed this phenomenon a while back. Couldn't explain it though. Thanks for clearing up this little mystery, Dover! :) However, the theory is only partially right. See, if you use Stun Bombs instead of the Stun Rod, the alien falls down and doesn't get back up. Therefore, the item idea isn't behind all of it. The other part is probably the infamous refresh bug.

Considering all the implications of this exploit, we can expand our experience training regimen into a full-fledged strategy.

Go to a Terror Site/Battleship mission. Stun an alien via Stun Bombs, then revive it with stim shots from the Medi-Kit. (You can also use MC here, as the point is to take the weapons away from the alien rendering it harmless).

Next, group 6 soldiers around the alien, all with Stun Rods. Then all you have to do is perform 1 stun per soldier. Since Melee is a primary stat it might increase the following secondary stats: TU, Stamina, Health and Strength.

Does stunning an alien count as a kill? No. So the only thing you end up doing is increasing the hidden melee stat and also the listed secondaries. :wink1:

- Zombie

Nobody mentioned the ammo refresh thing. The only exploit I use is accessing the inventories of MC'd aliens so I've never tried it myself but I've seen people mention it all over the place.

If you fire a single shot from a weapon that uses an ammo clip, that ammo clip will disappear at the end of the misson. However, if you unload it and drop it, it will be tallied as a full clip at the end of the mission. If you know an alien has fired a shot at you, you can pick up its weapon, unload the ammo and then just drop both. It's a good way to ensure more HP ammo at the beginning of the game when such things are scarce.

Edited by Pherdnut

• 7 months later...

It seems that after a topic is complete, you get an extra day's work FREE for whatever new topic you research. Since 150-200 scientists can research corpses and aliens in one day, you can keep using your free days to complete a dozen topics in 28 seconds. :)

free research only apply to the item below, not above the current completed project.

example if you just completed sectoid navigatoe, you get free on sectoid soldier.

but not the other way

Umm, have you not seen the BEST cheat there is.

Get 2 bases, an interceptor and equip with dual plasma cannons.

Transfer the interceptor, then send it on a mission. As long as it does not return to base it will keep flying forever. Handy to have. Believe me, it is the thing that has kept me in the game. Unfortunately it does not work for avengers, but I am not sure about firestorms or lightenings. It would be great though, station an avenger/firestorm near alien base, and never worry about resources again..... :D

to add to NKF's comment, this trick works on firestorm lightninf and avenger.

but first the craft has to be fully loaded and fueled before transfer. once it arrive, immediately send it out.

Reactions only get increased from actually taking a reaction shot. Pistols and laser pistols are the best reaction weapons in the game. This is because of their ridiculously low snap-shot speed (X-Com units can only use snapshots - so this is a perfect match. Aliens have the option of using autoshots).

So, saying that: Arming all the mutons with pistols and standard rifles, and then arming your (power armoured) soldiers with laser pistols, will end up giving you truly excellent mission for training your reactions. You can stand still and get pelted at without feeling a thing, while you can harm them and get off a ton of reaction shots.

The stronger your weapon, the less reaction training you get, see? Also the slower the snapshot, the less reactions you get. But of course, the quantity of the training is only important the better you get.

If you just want the experience, perhaps it would be a good idea to just send all the mutons back into their ship and then have your soldiers surround the door in a semi-circle. This way the mutons come out one by one and everyone gets a bit of training. A group training session. ;)

Truly, psionics make the game way too easy.

- NKF

best way is get them to a open map corner so they cannot run away when you encircle them (all except one alien)

to prolong the firefight

arm them and yours with pistols. and extra clipsss

max out the distance between aliens and soldier but make sure soldiers can see aliens.

you may need to heal their wounds and stimulate them so you wont have to bring any stun alien back.

after you MC them, unload their pistols and load pistol and mag into their backpack. so they take longer TU to arm and shoot at you. so they shoot less but get shot at more

only kill the last one (the one you purposely leave out from the group) when all others are killed.

one other way is for reaper/lobsterman.

one line of flying firing squad stands between the melee alien and a lone soldier on the floor. preferably rough terrain (long grass or slopes) in between

the alien with rush the soldier, get barraged and run away. chris and tenta are too dangerous

hi,

i want to share these tactic(exploit) which made use of a bug. i didnt see it posted else where, yet! (after this long time since release) i posted also at strategycore forum

"merge with hull" trick intro:

used on UFOs, supply and battleship. and also (seldom useful) suitable on skyranger, avenger.

you can use this to go in UFOs thru some of the walls (without using blaster bomb to blow a hole) and more importantly you can give risk-free oppotunity fire without being seen(from the inside), without being fire upon.

direction:

navigate your flying-suited soldier(s) to the craft's NORTH or WEST edge.

basically they stand at level one and float to level two, where they stand at the same tile as the craft's hull !

they cannot see aliens in the craft during your turn, (though they can see the layout inside), but soldiers can see and fire at alien's turn. AND the alien cannot see them (from inside the craft)!

you can float to level three (on battleship only) to merge with hull there.

tip:

equip soldier with laser pistol (no ammo limit, low TU requirement) to gain reaction points quickly using this tactic

tip:

you can enter the craft this way too, but i would advise only after a few turns of free reaction-firing and all soldiers are able to storm the craft on the same turn. you can creat choke points on the craft's second level first, before others finish mopping up the aliens outside the craft.

you may need to try a few times to achieve this, after you succeed, you know where to stand exactly next time. u can use the craft's shadow to assist you.

this trick is not (as far as i know) for alien base, terror sites( maybe possible here),cydonia, or other types of alien craft.(only battleship pose a chellenge anyway and i find this tactic extremely useful to gain reaction points for my soldiers for later use in cydonia)

apparently there is a "gap" between the floor plates and the wall plates in Xcom1. sometimes i can see a alien inside the craft when i am flying outside. u can see thru the ceiling plate and the floor plate(even an intact craft), but you cannot see the layout of the craft inside. useful to mind control them this way.

(in XCOM2, u can spot alien thru wall plates too but fly suit trick cannot be used in Xcom2)

too bad you cannot shoot thru or enter the craft this way with hoverhank

Col Seeker From Singapore

try this to extend your craft's range.

this is NOT infinite range exploit.

useful for firestorm and interceptor. useful if you have only one base.

send a craft out as per normal.

just before the clock hits 10-minute mark, put the craft on "patrol" for 10sec.

then get the craft going again

this trick may be tedious, and hard to perform on fast computer. this trick is quite useless if you intend to use infinite fuel bug.

it worked because the fuel is comsumption is calculated every 10min on the dot.

patrolling comsumes fuel at a lower rate than flying.

this trick is similar to infinite-time terror site, but crashed-UFO, terror sites only dissapear on the hour.