XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Xenocide Logo

Fatal_Error

hmmm... just noticed my previous post ....have to say that na much progress there coz of tha darn geoscape though i hope well get it right soon :D. anyways ive been keepin' one of my eye on the logo poll and it seems that we have already a winner :).

so stew could u explain to me what to u mean by green glow lettering ...is that like green letters and green glow? oh and coz of many BORING reasons im thinking of trying something new for the logo but dont worry ill stick to the "simple" look (xenocide + maybe sectoid head :D)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my idea for the uniform logo that will go on all the soldier's uniforms (just like the patch they wear on their shoulder) I suggest they wear black uniforms (think about it....it'll look badass!) and this patch will go on the right shoulder (like most soldiers wear) If you don't think it looks quite right, you'd be correct....its supposed to be much smaller. I wanted to put this out as the concept phase.

Patch.png

Has there been a decision as to how much camera zoom there will be in the battlescape? Unless the plan is to zoom right onto a unit, it'll be hard to see much detail. Even if you zoom in as close as the screen shots of alien models that have been posted, you won't see much more than the X in a circle. IMO that would be too much zoom anyway, as it could create problems with detail. Zooming a little closer than the original would be nice, but then you really wouldn't see more than some patch on the uniform.

Whatever color is chosen for the uniform, remember that the alien infiltrators always wear grey overalls in the alien abduction books! :alienlol:

I know that most of the detail won't go into the game -- heck I just did a barrel model that has a flammable gas logo on the side, and all you can see from zoom distance is a red blob <_ however the camera i heard was something that a mod could change to add person perspective sometimes and our idea have wciii style zoom. if this is case little details on all my models might be noticed after all. besides don think they take up too much space include so as well do them make look right instead of depending tricks display will perform>

If the camera will get in that close in the future, then absolutely it's worth doing right the first time around. What about a standard design that could be combined with the unit's rank? In multiplayer I'd love to know who the enemy's ranking officer is... :uzzi: Then the soldier model would need to have a designated grouping on the mesh that can be assigned a dynamic texture so it can be updated at the beginning of each battle, if that's possible. I'm not a programming type, but I'd expect something like that would be easy for them to do.

Texture tricks are easy to implement (most of the time), the important thing is if its looks good... Right now im having a hard time on per pixel illumination, thats tough...

Greetings

Red Knight

the rank logo's are different. For humans it'll pretty much follow the bars on the shoulders (unless someone has a better idea) but since aliens run around naked I don't think they'd appreciate rank pins stuck in them... This was designed to be a shoulder-patch (like you would see on the shoulder of a NASA astronaut, etc) to identify the soldier (US soldiers wear an american flag on their right shoulder and I'm sure other countries do the same -- in this kind of organization they may try to enhance the unity of the group by changing that logo to a world logo instead of just a single country -- this was my logic)

You could make the aliens friendlier by giving them the sticky paper "Hi, my name is Xcyeenor" name tags, they could go on their foreheads perhaps :alienlol:

There was talk about various textures to use on billboards, we could make one that says "X-Files Convention this Weekend" for use during Terror sites. "I'm dressed up as Agent Scully, who are you going aaaahhhhhhh!!" :alientalk:

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, and I know another forum had a discussion about soldiers using the same weapon all the time to develop a specialty. But would it be doable to have anti-alien graffitti on the guns/armor based on the soldiers kill record. I'm not sure how well it would show up in the battlescape, even with zooming, but it would be pretty cool on the inventory screen at least. I can just picture a seasoned squaddie with "I got your anal probe right here" on the side of his plasma rifle.

-AltaZorn

*just getting feet wet*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drewid

Alien ranks:

In alliance we had the Sectiods pretty much running the show. other races didn't have ranks,

(straining memory cell here).

Sectoids ranks were shown by skin colour and by a mark on their forehead. They never got promoted :alientalk: It was more like an insect colony. drones, workers, fighters, thinkers etc. all bred for a specific purpose, they would think promotion was a wierd idea.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
I like the design, but I suddenly pictured a bird's eye view of a Xenocide beanie, bring your kid to work day! :P Despite my inability to focus and concentrate, it looks good.

Guest drewid

Nice logo. I like the cleanness of it.

The only thing I might say is that it almost looks -too- good.

Nasa has graphic design of this sort of quality, but the military tend to be less worried about that sort of thing.

Like the original x-com logo had that old-fashioned serif font, but that made it feel more "institutional" and "militaristic"if you see what I mean, and the design was very straight-on and plain. almost 1940s, which added to the effect.

I liked the globe idea that maveric had, that "global protection Force" feel. but it needed to be more graphic I think. Would you have time to have a go at combining the two, just to see what it looks like?

Maybe the cross in black, with a plain dark-blue globe, with green countries, sort of thing? countries with straight edges? dunno I'm rambling now.

Regards

-Drewid

for a logo for Xceno, i imagine the top-half of a human head, in in the eye, there is a metal implant, with a Sectoid eye inside of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that there a whole bunch of this images and this is my contribution too that collection

A question

I don't think the name of the Unit is X-com

right??

So what are the name you're thinking of.

I wonder because I want some inspiration for an imge that I'm working on

this is what it is now

post-3-1054952091_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It looks good, but if this is supposed to replace the alien eyes logo then I'm aginit.

"Main" game logos always cause huge scraps and ours was no exception. The alien eyes one came after a LOT of anger and emotion and we are NOT opening that can of worms again!

On the other hand if this is supposed to be something like the arm patch the soldiers wear then fine. Except I think the organization is called the X-Corps or something like that.

If it's the "in-game" (you know part of the story, say like when you open X-Net) logo, then it should say Project Xenocide.

The soldiers patch should say X-Corps.

In the story X-Corps executes Project Xenocide.

BTW the global bullseye is pointing @ Grenada. Remember that afternoon folks.

hhe when I looked at that 4th one is just screamed patch. I think it would fit quite nicely for the unit insignea, though it might be a little close to the original form of the insignea.

Firstly I have to say nice work.

Number one and two would work very well as decals for the craft either on the fuselage or on the tailplanes. But they'd have to say X-Corps like everyone else mentioned.

Picture three is definitely good for HWPs and maybe even wingtips decals.

Picture four like vaaish says does indeed scream operative insignia patch. Again if you can change them to X-corps and post the new art we'll shift this thread into the workshops.

Very nice stuff Kensiro and welcome to xenocide.

Drew I did notice the grenada X marks the spot Maybe it's one of those freudian slips. :D

Edited by Deimos

The fourth one looks perfect for a patch -- i don't think that one should change one bit. I think the only ones that need to change are the xenocide ones -- if you can make it say x-corps instead we'll have some new decals.

-Mav

I like the top two. Hmm cross hair on the americas....

By the way, what's the deal with the title? Is it actually related to the game in any way at all? What will be killed in large number? It ain't aliens. We kill upto about 10 each mission and play 4 to5 hundred misisons. thats a max death toll of the same as 9/11. No that's not genocide or xenocide. you want genocide try burundi.

If it is cide (death of) xeno (anything foreign) then that is better, but still means we like a state of war with neighbouring countries.

Sadly I don't have any better suggestions at this time.

can you please kill the bevil/emboss on the left one and work on making the background globe not so disrupting to the text? either make a lighter stroke or simplify the globe.

Here's the next revision. Probably will simplify the globe further to get a embroider-ready design (not that we'll actually get it made, but it should be capable of being produced if it's gonna be believable as a patch design). I'm also going to continue this thread under the organization logo topic from here on out, since they already had something going there, so post replies there if the mood strikes you.

X_CorpsPatch3.gif

Yeah, I can see the latest logo being used in the bases as the 'corporate logo', and the black and white one working well for craft and uniforms. (assuming a top secret organization would show up to terror sites with their logo pasted on everything to see)

Guest drewid

I really like the last revision. The idea of doing a graphic as "embroidery ready" is a good measure to use.

The other rule of thumb with logo design is "would it work in black and white", which this clearly would.

Nice work

Cool patches for 'in the game' logos. As for the game title, i don't want to be a villain, but while i do like the concept, I think it could use a bit of a retouch. Maybe make the alien eyes a little more menacing, and maybe put some chrome on the letters. just my opinion though.

Can we get shirts with those patches? that'd be so cool.

Looking good. Two suggestions:

1 ) The green land in the globe looks odd. Make it the same blue.

2 ) In the real world the forces of PC would complain about the NA centric view of the Earth. To make the logo look more "real" you should address this. Either leave the land out entirely or use one of those weird map projections where the entire earth is drawn on a circle, like the UN one.

I got the UN suggestion before and tried to utilize it but unfortunately it doesn't fit into anything besides a full circle well. The X obscures the map too much even if you do use a circle. In the semi-circle the UN map becomes a mere unrecognizeable blob that interferes with the text. The nearest compromise I found that fit the shape and still had the continents recognizeable was the incorporated projection on the tilted globe; I chose the NA projection because Europe and Asia tend to fill the space too much and at the sides the continents become hard to make out because they drop off too quickly or get pushed to the side too much. I'll try some more angles, but it's kind of hard to do revisions since I'm working manually in 2D.

I also tried building a map where the whole world is showing based on the sliced open projection NASA uses, but that gets much too distorted when compressed to fit into the circle.

If anyone can come up with an angle that works there, I'll gladly incorporate it.

However, I'll adjust the colors and repost with results when time becomes available.

Looking good.  Two suggestions:

1 ) The green land in the globe looks odd.  Make it the same blue.

2 ) In the real world the forces of PC would complain about the NA centric view of the Earth.  To make the logo look more "real" you should address this.  Either leave the land out entirely or use one of those weird map projections where the entire earth is drawn on a circle, like the UN one.

I don't know about any one else but I think changing the green to blue will be an over kill (too much blue :o)

In practical sense they would use that for letterheads and things alike

The globe looks good as it is but as Stewart pointed out if countries all around the world pitched in they certainly would not like their country left out

Maybe a Pangea like map

another link

May be it could be used to symbolized the nations coming together to work for a common goal

*Possibly be able to be implemented in to the back story for origin of logo* :unsure:

Here is my personal version of the suit logo, it is a vectorial logo.

http://www.terra.es/personal7/tamaway/imagenes/xeno-logo.gif

I still think this is one of the best logo's for a uniform patch...what if we let people make their own patches and they can add them to a specific folder in the Xenocide directory...then when you start the game you go to an option screen that lets you choose your own patch...this was done in Black and White...it would make the game a little more your own...I think

i once had a game, where you must build a mech, and you were part of something called "raven", and you could fight others of the ravens in an arena. It also had a little patch feture, with you could put on your mech.

it was preatty cool, so its would be great.

There's another Organizational Logo thread going on elsewhere under

xcomufo.com ->Xenocide World Headquarters ->The Workshops ->Xenocide V1.0, Images, Movies, Discussion

We're all talking about the same patch - might want to move discussion there just to prevent duplication of effort.