ART - Issue #104 - Raptor Model

Vaaish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

change the talons back to a white or yellowish white, but I think the purple really makes him pop more. Lighten it up so he isn't as dark and amybe ad in the stripes as a darker layer.

Yeah that was a quick color change, I was just doing the skin, I don't change misc things ie teeth, nails (talons) etc until what I am working on gets approved. I thought the darkness adds to the alianism. Which part do you want darker? The tougher black portions, the purplish skin or all together darker?

I know it isn't finished or anything but I just wanted to draw your attention to the inside of the mouth. I don't think it should be red.. well, maybe not so bright red. I would suggest some kind of desaturated, light colour.. maybe like blue or some other colour that compliments the skin colour (I'm not the best colour-design guy). Look at the insides of lizards' mouths.

Maybe you can break up the colors some how? possibly by making the (Armor plates?) a diffrent color? or adding some sort of variance to the satuartion throughout the body?

If you were planning something like that, my bad...

or if its too early in the texturing; see above

Edited by Shinzon

ah come on, someone in the ART dept has to know what color saturation is. Even I know it. The word "saturation" explains the meaning by itself.

Either way, that model is really looking spectacular!

cheers,

Thomas

In either event, do you believe that this comment is helpful in any way? If Darkhomb has not been exposed to this termonology before (or perhaps not been exposed to this term in english before), do you think that this comment would help or hinder him?

He hasn't been back to comment, so I don't know whether he knows the term or not. I'm not making any guesses. I just posted the above in case that the termonology was a source of miscommunication.

I would appreciate it in the future if you would not make comments as to what should be obvious to whom. We are all artists here with different backgrounds, languages and levels of experience. What we have in common is a want to contribute and to learn new things. Creating an abrasive environment with 'Ah come on, even a layman should know this! It's self evident!' and thereby implying that there is a deficit of knowledge or skill where there is none is not helpful.

I do agree that Darkhomb is doing an excellent job, however.

I would also like to add in an independent note, that broadcast standards for colour rendering state that colours should not be greater than 235 on a 255 point saturation scale. I'm not sure why this is, but I think it might be a good rule of thumb to follow. Photoshop will actually warn you if you're choosing very saturated colours, and I don't think they show up very well in compressed graphic formats.

Fux the warning most of the time with highly saturated color comes from the limitation in the common printing technology. While computers use an additive model (they add light as CRT and LCD emits light); there is no way you can use an additive model in printing, printing means that you are substracting light with pigments from the sun... that is what physically explain the sudden difference of colours when different environmental lighting is used, something that is less noticeable in additive models ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

Interesting. I thought the photoshop thing had something to do with compression.

The broadcasting guidelines I was referring to was for television shows and production animation. My girlfriend works for a digital paint and sepcial effects company. I'm not sure if this printing issuewould carry over for printing onto film. I should ask her the why's of it. It might be interesting.

Edited by fux0r666

Indeed a very interesting issue.

Films by itself is a substractive model even though at first sight it looks like additive ;) . You are not adding light, you are indeed substracting light using the film as a filter. CRT and LCD are additive, cause they have emmitters (that emits photons).

I heard that for the animation film "El Dorado" they have to create a brand new rendering technique for the gold color because what they saw in the computer wasnt what was printed on the film. Gold is a very highly reflective material and have most of the time (under high environmental lighting, like sunlight) a very saturated color.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...
Confirmation please. Is the AWD moving away from the previously agreed upon Raptor design which stated that it was to be covered in shaggy fur? If so, please let us, the CTD know, as at least on CT will be affected by the changes.

Guest Azrael
Wouldn't scales make more sense in a reptilian creature? I think the Raptor being furry would take away some of it's "dangerous" feeling it currently has.

Not trying to be extremely picky, but as far as I can tell, aside from alien composite armoring,  current wip texture exhibit only scaly/leathery type skin...

Its still WIP... Have patience and please wait until its done for stuff like this... until the thing is finished you will of course not see everything in the final... posts like this just waste space in the production thread.

Wouldn't scales make more sense in a reptilian creature? I think the Raptor being furry would take away some of it's "dangerous" feeling it currently has.

Yes if done wrong.... there ware ways of making it predatory and not tribble like.