XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Xenium Reactor

Denevive

Alright everybody, here's the UFO power source entry. Sorry it took so long but I've been out of comission due to computer crashes and moving. Though this will probably be a problem for a week or two more, I pledge to be more available, and complete my tasks quicker. Anyway, please read and critique.

UFO Power Source

It became apparent in the early stages of this war that the alien menace had access to a better source of power than that used by earth-based technologies. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal. With the basic research into the structure of Elerium 115 completed, it became apparent what the aliens were using as a source of power. But how was this power source implemented? We in the science department believe we have uncovered the basis behind the UFO power source.

As was previously stated in the Elerium 115 report (see X-Net Entry: Elerium 115), Elerium 115 has a very stable atomic and molecular structure, allowing for the creation of energy through particle bombardment. This concept seems to be at the core of the UFO power source. The power source seen in raided alien ships is built with a reaction chamber in the upper portion of the power source column. The reaction chamber has three layers, creating an onion-like structure. The outermost layer is composed of two sheets of alien alloys with structural supports between them. This reinforced alien alloy shell helps protect the reaction chamber from damage, and contains the explosive force of the reaction. Within the alien alloy shell lays a field of particle emitters. These emitters appear to be connected to ‘particle reservoirs’ where samples of krypton or other high-energy atoms are stored. These particles are then magnetically accelerated into the third layer of the reaction chamber: the Elerium storage chamber. The particles bombard the Elerium, creating a temporarily unstable super-heavy element. Immediately, the Elerium decays, giving off a vast amount of power.

Below the reaction chamber lays the alien ‘battery’: a cage holding a number of (insert Silacoid name here). These organisms, while sometimes glimpsed on the battlefield, are actually one of the integral parts of the alien power system. The body of a (Silacoid) is rife with perhaps the most intricate nervous system seen in an organism. When the energy of the Elerium 115 reaction is fed into the chamber, the (Silacoid) nervous system absorbs the energy. This energy is naturally used to increase the potency of the (Silacoid’s) advanced “electric eel” like self defense mechanism. However, due to the lack of a viable target, the potent energy is leaked off over time, creating an organic battery. Electrodes attached to the (Silacoids) then draw energy out of the creature to power ship systems.

This development has led to the question of how an earth-based power source could operate. At this time, even even our best Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries cannot store the power given off by one reaction of Elerium 115 and Krypton. Attempts to store the energy by other, more unconventional methods have also met with failure. While it is possible to store a part of the power, while venting the rest through a capacitor and into ship systems, it is highly inefficient… and dangerous. Until a battery is developed that is able to handle the Elerium 115 reaction energy, the power must be vented, at least in part, directly into ships systems.

Below the battery is a honeycomb of power conductors and Elerium 115. This is the alien’s Anti-Gravity Field Generator. Power is shunted through the Elerium, increasing the yield of the Elerium’s gravity A wave. This wave is then manipulated electro-magnetically to create the ‘float’ effect seen on alien craft. This wave might also be used to create propulsion. It is important to note that multiple power sources might be used to create anti-gravity for larger ships.

It is the science department’s belief that this research should be used immediately to begin research and development of new human craft to combat the alien threat.

P.S. The Silacoid bit was inspired by Captain Boxershorts and the Alien Alloy thread. I fully admit that I have taken liberites with the Silacoid, but I needed an idea as to why, at this time, human scientists could not reproduce an effective battery. I figure the future battery info would appear in the appropriate vehicle entry.

P.P.S. I've taken great pains to tie this well into the already existing Elerium 115 and Firestorm entries. However, if you spot something that doesn't fit please let me know.

Um... I've been reading through the Elerium CTD, and I was wondering, how exactly does the elerium release it's power when it's bombarded with particles? If it's fission, then that means radiation and heat right?

There's also the fact that using a cage full of silacoids sound veyr doubtful... Unless you want us to encounter them on every mission we go into. If we were to say that the aliens use a unique biological mesh, that appears related to the biological material found in the alien alloys, then that would sound more likely.

Might I suggest that we try using plasma reactors to generate whatever it is that the aliens use in place of electricity?(Although I'd like to think that we humans discovered a way of transmitting energy efficient enough that the aliens use it too.), especially since that would tie in nicely with what I used in the plasma weapons ctd (see here: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=1833 )

I have an idea that may provide a practical way to get 'anti-grav' without Wave A, if elerium produces this obscene amount of energy, and say we figured out how to turn it into ultra-high voltage (Gigawatts+) with low amperage, we could produce an ion based propulsion engine simply by either charging the ship's skin with this (Alien Alloy so it does not melt) or creating something similar to a hollow turbine that propels air through it by sheer 'ionic breeze' power.

There are examples of this, most recently linked to on Slashdot.

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid...=thread&tid=134

I just read the whole article, and checked out their site. Thats some wild stuff, I'm almost tempted to build one myself...

On another note though, it would be neat if we used this idea for something, and then 10 years from now it was common-place (at least in physics labs). We could be like "told you so..." :P

Gold

:D Alright, time to acknowledge and shoot down some comments.

1) I'm definetly willing to give in on the silacoid issue, and transfer the battery concept to that of a biological mesh. However, that being said, using silacoids as a battery would not make them any more common than usual. If a UFO is shot down, than the silacoids are destroyed along with the power source. If the the power source is intact, the silacoids are trapped safely inside. Although... it does sound interesting (to me at least) to see a silacoid escape during a crash every now and then.

2) Elerium is a always will be the established power source for UFOs. Heck, it's the power source for practically everything! As such, I see no reason to make a plasma based reactor for a UFO power source.

3) Fission is the reaction described in the Elerium 115 entry. :D

4) I am quite reluctant to throw out the gravity A wave concept as it is one of the more advanced and interesting ideas behind anti-grav. We also have to worry about more than just the "float" aspect. Elerium is also used to negate and change entire gravity fields. For more info, check the Firestorm CTD string.

That's it for now. Please continue to comment.

Edited by Denevive

Hey -

One thing everyone, the Elerium entry is truly complete. That means anything that is used for this entry, or any other, that refers to or invovles Elerium must conform to the Elerium entry. So new ideas that take a completely new direction are frowned upon.

That said, I really like this entry. I do think the Silicoid part is a tad extreme. It would be very neat if you perhaps used an unidentiifed alien organic "something" instead, and then it might be a tad more believable. Also, I think it would greatly improve the entry if you added a paragraph or two about how humans modified the Power Source for use in their own craft.

Thats all for now, I'll think up some more when I'm tripping at IT (phish festival) this weekend... :P

EDIT: wow, we posted pretty much the same thing at the same time. trippy.

Gold

Edited by GreatGold

Just thought I'd post my reasons for not going into too much detail for adaptation of the UFO power source to earth-based craft.

I always wondered why in the original X-Com you learned all about the UFO power source before you could even make a UFO, but it isn't perfected in use until the Avenger is created. It is for that reason that I have included the paragraph on the inability of X-Corps to use convcentional batteries in an Elerium based power system. I tried very hard to fit this entry into those entries already completed. Thusly, the first Man-made UFO, the Firestorm, uses a system where energy is vented directly into the ships systems. As stated, this is a very inefficent system. I felt that future Lightning and Avenger entries could include information of a new battery developed to contain the Elerium reaction energy, or perhaps other methods that they used to bypass that aspect of the power source design. It woyuld give the illusion of continuing research.

That being said, I am perfectly willing to add a paragraph or two on the inclusion of the UFO power source in earth-based craft if that is the general consensus.

Please voice your opinion.

I like the idea that the system is at first incredibly inefficient, until you can create a good energy storage, which is where the avenger comes in.

Silacoids - yeah, you should drop them. What about a sort of modified Silacoidesque blob of flesh incorporated into the power system? It could do the exact same thing, without making the system sound like it runs on a hamster wheel.

Fission - we can claim it's "clean" fission - just some energy and some heavy, inactive particles. I forget what the elerium entry said, but I remember it didn't say "warning - radiation".

And now for some miceless style word-by-word editing.

better source of power than that used by earth-based technologies.

better source of power than that of earth-based technologies?

This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal

This gap in our basic understanding...counter or duplication of artifacts

allowing for the creation of energy through particle bombardment

release of energy (yeah, nitpicky, I know)

These emitters appear to be connected to 'particle reservoirs' where samples of krypton or other high-energy atoms are stored

where quantities of alpha particles (2 protons, 2 neutrons)/beta particles (freaky electrons)/neutrons/plutonium/generic "high-energy particles"/cesium/dynamite are stored (in a magnetic field?) the issue here is that krypton is a noble gas, and is totally stable and not reactive chemically or atomically. Also, you'd probably want to pinpoint a single particle that was being thrown at elerium, because different particles might react in different ways.

At this time, even even our best Absorbed Glass Mat

even even --> even

(AGM) batteries cannot store the power given off by one reaction of Elerium 115 and Krypton

one reaction? just say the slowest reaction...actually this poses a bit of a problem. You can always make a reaction smaller, unless it's a feedback reaction, which this isn't. So why can't we store the energy. It certainly isn't realistic to say that an atom of anything gives off too much power to store. Hmm...this requires some thought.

It is the science department's belief that this research should be used immediately to begin research and development

belief that this find/development/breakthrough/technology should be used

ok, I'm done

Okay, to return comments.

1) I have already changed the use of the silacoid in the power source. It was simply the result of a search to find and appropriate energy storage device taht could not be duplicated by humans. In the Alien Alloy entry, it is stated that the X-Corps could duplicate the biological component in Alien Alloys. As such I was reluctant to use another biological tissue as I wanted to explain the increased efficency of future craft through the use of new batteries and control systems. I've created an alternate paragraph that I will post shortly.

2) Elerium 115 is inherently unradioactive, very much so infact. It's natural properties can be utilised without fear of radiation. However, the release of energy from particle bombardment is an entirely different matter. Trust me, I know the Elerium entry... I wrote it. That being said, I can always write in the use of "clean fission".

3) Yes, I will very seriously consider those word changes. (the "even even" was a typo, thanks for the catch.)

Any other comments? Keeping in mind that I will be posting an alternate "battery" section?

Oh, one question that just struck me: if the first human elerium engines are very inefficient, why don't we have the option to retrofit the Firestorm and Lightning once the Avenger is discovered? Would make perfect sense IMHO. I don't think they change that drastically they won't be able to fit in a Firestorm anymore :unsure:

Yeah, that occured to me, too. So I guess it's between including upgrades in v.1 (to which I would say; ack), figuring out a reason ship schematics can't be upgraded (urk), and removing the part about improving technology (awww :unsure: ). I dunno.

I would say that it's the same reason that many thiings are left with out a refit: it's too drastic of a change. Take the Firestorm for example: It uses a hybrid engine when it's discovered. The conversion of the engines, fuel system, and power system is too much to take on... it's not worth it. The cost of parts and labor on a refit is more expensive than creating a new ship.

Ok, I can live with that one, but at least shouldn't your future Firestorm builds be upgraded with the newer engines?

Besides, if I can afford it, who cares if it costs a lot? I can pay for it, dammit I want it!! ^_^

Alright, folks. Time for an update-

First off, I want to explain my reasons for using krypton in the reaction process. My foremost reason is that attempts to create Ununpentium (the theorized element that Elerium 115 is based off of) were done using a lead target bombarded by atoms of kryton. My secondary reason is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that Kryton is a highly energetic atom. That is to say that it has a large number of electrons. These electrons would be released during the reaction process, giving off energy.

Anyway, here is the revised entry.

UFO Power Source

It became apparent in the early stages of this war that the alien menace had access to a better source of power than that utilized by earth-based technologies. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal. With the basic research into the structure of Elerium 115 completed, it became apparent what the aliens were using as a source of power. But how was this power source implemented? We in the science department believe we have uncovered the basis behind the UFO power source.

As was previously stated in the Elerium 115 report (see X-Net Entry: Elerium 115), Elerium 115 has a very stable atomic and molecular structure, allowing for the release of energy through particle bombardment. This concept seems to be at the core of the UFO power source. The power source seen in raided alien ships is built with a reaction chamber in the upper portion of the power source column. The reaction chamber has three layers, creating an onion-like structure. The outermost layer is composed of two sheets of alien alloys with structural supports between them. This reinforced alien alloy shell helps protect the reaction chamber from damage, and contains the explosive force of the reaction. Within the alien alloy shell lays a field of particle emitters. These emitters appear to be connected to 'particle reservoirs' where samples of krypton or other high-energy atoms are stored. These particles are then magnetically accelerated into the third layer of the reaction chamber: the Elerium storage chamber. The particles bombard the Elerium, creating a temporarily unstable super-heavy element. Immediately, the Elerium decays, giving off a vast amount of power.

Below the reaction chamber lays the alien 'battery'. The energy storage is accomplished through the use of a bio-organic mesh, not entirely dissimilar from the vaguely organic tissue found on alien alloys. This mesh is composed of billions upon billions of neurons, normally in a dormant, un-energized state. Once energy is directed into the mesh, the system becomes active, sending along electrical pulses much like a living animal. The energy travels through these neuron strings past various "trap doors' in the system, each leading to UFO system components. When a 'door' is closed, energy continues through the mesh, perhaps for many cycles. When a 'door' is open, energy flows into that UFO subsystem. It should be noted that the opening and closing cycles on these doors seems to stagger energy as it enters a system, probably to prevent a power surge or overload in the system. Extended research of this mesh may prove useful, as there are a number of theories pertaining to the use of this battery mesh as computer core as well. it is possible that this mesh is in many ways the central nervous system of any ship.

Despite repeated attempts to synthesize the 'battery mesh', our laboratory efforts have met with failure. This development has led to the question of how an earth-based UFO power source could operate. At this time, even our best Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries cannot store the power given off by the slowest reactions of Elerium 115 and Krypton. Attempts to store the energy by other, more unconventional methods have also met with failure. While it is possible to store a part of the power, while venting the rest through a capacitor and into ship systems, it is highly inefficient... and dangerous. Until a battery is developed that is able to handle the Elerium 115 reaction energy, the power must be vented, at least in part, directly into ships systems.

Below the battery is a honeycomb of power conductors and Elerium 115. This is the alien's Anti-Gravity Field Generator. Power is shunted through the Elerium, increasing the yield of the Elerium's gravity A wave. This wave is then manipulated electro-magnetically to create the 'float' effect seen on alien craft. This wave might also be used to create propulsion. It is important to note that multiple power sources might be used to create anti-gravity for larger ships.

It is the science department's belief that this technology should be used immediately to begin research and development of new human craft to combat the alien threat.

Tell me what you guys think.

UFO_Power_Source.txt

Ok, I can live with that one, but at least shouldn't your future Firestorm builds be upgraded with the newer engines?

Besides, if I can afford it, who cares if it costs a lot? I can pay for it, dammit I want it!! 

Realistically, look at the time frame of the game. Just a year, maybe two at most. In that time, based on real-world examples, refitting a brand-new craft with major improvements just isnt practical. But its really a minor point.

On to the power source:

This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal

This sentance is unclear, and I'm not 100% sure I understand it. Could you break it into two more descriptive sentances?

Otherwise, I like it. I do have some thoughts though. Firstly, about the battery situation. It is fine as is, but when we write up the entries for the Lightening and Avenger, we must remeber to put in an updated battery explanation, that accounts for the increased propulsion seen in these two craft.

Also, being that the Power Source model has not been created yet, I see no issue in its physical description. I will post a thread in the graphics workshop, asking them to keep this description in mind when creating the models.

Great work!

Gold

Well, about the time frame: we design an entirely new craft with previously unheard of technology in a few months, if we count the separate research for alloys, power source, navigation,... in :blink:

But as you said, it is really a minor point.

Looks good! I still disagree about Krypton, of course, :D but that's about as important as the firestorm upgrading bit. The neuron mesh battery part is excellent. Actually, the "trap door" bit might be a bit low-tech as an analogy, but that's a stylistic issue. Good stuff.

LOL

"Just then, a tether breaks - and the lifter swings sideways, whistling menacingly as it heads directly toward our chests. Doug yelps and leaps back; I dive for the deck, grabbing the tether to bring it under control. As I tape it back in place, I realize that I'm now squatting directly beneath an unstable device that is sizzling with 45,000 volts.

"That was close!" Doug says. "It was like it could tell I was there!""

• 5 months later...

Since we changed the idea behind Xenium and not the power source, here is a possible revised version that I would like to put forward as a base for the blaster bomb and fusion ball launcher etc. I tried to write it so that it would not conflict with established concepts for elerium based devices.

After careful research of the UFO power source, it is apparent that the alien propulsion system uses gravity to maneuver their ships. The UFO power source works by creating a field in which gravity is negated. It can then generate a gravitational pull toward a single point in the field. This can be used in a number of applications. It's primary function is for transportation. However, under some circumstances, it can be used to create tiny, short lived "black holes" of it's own, although these are not actually as dense of black holes. However, the resulting implosion is deadly, and the ensuing explosion of the compressed matter essentially uses everything caught in the implosion as shrapnel, which has an equally damaging effect on the surrounding environment. It is apparent that the UFO power source requires massive amounts of control from some sort of navigation system in order to prevent this kind of disaster.

"It's a good thing we decided to test that thing outside. Our computers overloaded trying to control it and it exploded and almost killed us all. It would have been worse in a closed environment like the lab." - David Williams, Xenocide researcher.

The UFO power source uses Xenium-122 to generate such awesome amounts of power. It uses magnets to stimulate the Xenium in order to produce gravitational field necessary for propelling a spacecraft. When stimulated with magnets in this way, Xenium also generates an electrical current, which can be used to power lights, computers and other devices. When correctly stimulated by the magnets, the Xenium can provide for essentially all the energy needs of an aircraft, even with only small quantities.

Although the UFO Power source is a very effective and capable device, it is apparent that it is not capable of interstellar travel. It, like all engines earth has developed, cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This severely inhibits interstellar travel, implying that the aliens either originated from within our solar system, or that they have other propulsion systems.

However, despite this information, it is still more effective than even the best human engines. Our science department strongly recommends development of aircraft capable of using this technology. Such an aircraft might be able to catch up with the fastest of enemy ships, solving the problem of intercepting faster UFOs.

power_source.rtf

Edited by Ancalagon

Thats stupid

:D seriously though.. if people don't respond its probably becasue they either havn't seen it yet, or don't know enought about the topic to be able to comment on it accurately.

I have read it through several times, and I honestly can't find anything wrong with it! Gramatically it seems to be exellent and the level of detail and explaination is satisfying without being overwhelmeing.

unfortunalty I don't know enough to say for sure if the technical detail is in line with what has been decided in regards to Xenium, you should contact the members who are doing/have done the Xenium and Plasma weapon write ups for more details. However, for what I have read elsewhere , I think your text sounds plausable and in line with current "policy".

One small point though

Our computers overloaded trying to control it and it exploded and almost killed us all

The repetition of the word "it" in this sentence doesn't quite sit right.

how about

Our computers overloaded trying to control it and when it crashed the explosion blew a crater two story's deep. Damn near killed us all.
Edited by MagicAndy

I'm sorry Ancalagon, you of all people deserve feedback, considering what you have done for my ctd's. It's easy to forget in these forums that positive feedback can be just a valuable as constructive criticism. So I will try and do both to appease all concerned :D

I enjoyed reading it, I liked this section..

"However, the resulting implosion is deadly, and the ensuing explosion of the compressed matter essentially uses everything caught in the implosion as shrapnel, which has an equally damaging effect on the surrounding environment."

although this section, I feel should be more graphic

"It's a good thing we decided to test that thing outside. Our computers overloaded trying to control it and it exploded and almost killed us all. It would have been worse in a closed environment like the lab.".

maybe somthing like...

"Thank god we conducted the lab experiments outside today. All our computers were fried just trying to control that damn thing. An explosion of such magnitude should have killed us all" - David Williams, Xenocide researcher.

edit..I have just read andy's "Damn near killed us all" that would be better still

Edited by RustedSoul

Yeah, the fluff text was added as an afterthought and probably wasn't well thought out. Thanks for the feedback. I'll make the changes. Also, I'm pretty sure it fits with the new elerium entry (see the elerium thread, if you can find it), this was specifically designed because of the changed concept actually. I do have to check with the plasma people though. . .

I think there's a bit too much repetition going on here:

'The UFO power source uses Xenium-122 to generate such awesome amounts of power. It uses magnets to stimulate the Xenium in order to produce gravitational field necessary for propelling a spacecraft. When stimulated with magnets in this way, Xenium also generates an electrical current, which can be used to power lights, computers and other devices. When correctly stimulated by the magnets, the Xenium can provide for essentially all the energy needs of an aircraft, even with only small quantities.'

Consider this?

'The UFO power source uses Xenium-122 to generate such awesome amounts of power. Magnets are used to stimulate the Xenium in order to produce the gravitational field necessary for propelling a spacecraft. This magnetized Xenium also generates a current, which can be used to power lights, computers and other electrical devices. Used effectively, even small quantites of Xenium can provide for essentially all the energy needs of an spacecraft and its subsystems.'

But it is, of course, your call. ^_^

Oh yeah, and you seem to be using aircraft/spacecraft interchangeably. Consider picking one and use just it throughout for consistency.

I'm partial to 'spacecraft' myself.

All our computers were fried just trying to control that damn thing. Damn near killed us all." - David Williams,

Remove that damn or exchange it for somthing else, like bloody or retched ^_^ .

also

When correctly stimulated by the magnets, the Xenium can provide for essentially all the energy needs of an aircraft, even with only small quantities.

maybe...

"With the right Frequency, Xenium can essentially provide for all the energy needs of an aircraft, even with only small quantities."

Ratehr than "... create tiny, short lived "black holes"", you might want to refer to quantum singularities (since that what sub-critical mass black holes are called)

Something like:

"...create a quantum singularity, a type of black hole that was hypothesized, but never proven to exist prior to this."

Sounds more scientific...

-The Captain

"However, under some circumstances, it can be used to create tiny, short lived "black holes" of it's own, although these are not actually as dense of black holes. However, the resulting implosion is deadly, and the ensuing explosion of the compressed matter essentially uses everything caught in the implosion as shrapnel"

I wasnt aware the xenium could make black holes. The xenium can be destabilised, converting itself to radiation (light and atomic particles). this would look very much like an atomic explosion.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah! :o I never did update the rtf. Well, here's the text, along with the rtf file, just to prove that it is updated. I did not add the quantum singularity thing since there is the whole deal with wether young people can understand our ctds. I figure most people can relate to black holes, so I changed it a bit to clarify that it doesn't actually produce a full fledged black hole. I added a little bit of each of you're proposed changes and a few of my own. Here is, your moment of zen:

After careful research of the UFO power source, it is apparent that the aliens use a gravity based propulsion system to maneuver their ships. The UFO power source works by creating a field in which gravity is negated. It can then generate a gravitational pull toward a single point in the field. This can be used in a number of applications. It's primary function is for transportation. However, under some circumstances, it can actually cause short lived "mini black holes" of it's own, although these are not actually as dense or as damaging as true black holes. However, the resulting implosion is deadly, and the ensuing explosion of the compressed matter essentially uses everything caught in the implosion as shrapnel, which has an equally damaging effect on the surrounding environment. It is apparent that the UFO power source requires massive amounts of control from some sort of navigation system in order to prevent this kind of disaster.

"Thank god we conducted the lab experiments outside today. All our computers were fried just trying to control that thing. Bloody near killed us all." - David Williams, Xenocide researcher.

The UFO power source uses Xenium-122 to generate such awesome amounts of power. Magnets are used to stimulate the Xenium in order to produce the gravitational field necessary for propelling a spacecraft. This magnetized Xenium also generates an electrical current, which can be used to power lights, computers and other devices. Because of this, Xenium can provide for essentially all the energy needs of a spacecraft, even in small quantities.

Although the UFO Power source is a very effective and capable device, it is apparent that it is not capable of interstellar travel. It, like all engines earth has developed, cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This severely inhibits interstellar travel, implying that the aliens either originated from within our solar system, or that they have other means of propulsion.

However, despite this information, it is still more effective than even the best human engines. Our science department strongly recommends development of aircraft capable of using this technology. Such an aircraft might be able to catch up with the quickest of enemy ships, solving the problem of intercepting the faster of the UFOs.

power_source2.rtf

Edited by Ancalagon

I like the text, not too technical and easy read.

Tell me when its done, I'll start translating it in french.

I translated Xenium 122 in french But there is no fluff text.

Do you have some ideas so that I could put them in.

btw...

Since we changed the idea behind Xenium and not the power source, here is a possible revised version that I would like to put forward as a base for the blaster bomb and fusion ball launcher etc. I tried to write it so that it would not conflict with established concepts for elerium based devices.

Can you tell me where it was changed and if there is a new text?

Looks good :D

just one thing in the fluff text "all our computer systems", could change to "Our entire computer system", to save repetition of the word "all"

There are three posts, to which I will respond in succession

1. Thanks

2. Thanks again, I always try not to be very technical when writing ctds. Uh, how do you translate xenium into french? Do you make up a knew word or do you translate it phonetically. Good luck on the translation also, not many of us speak french so I guess you're fairly on your own huh? Here is the elerium 115, er xenium 122, thread in which the changes were made. I believe cartesian was the one who started the proverbial tidal wave of change, so look for his first post in the thread. look through it and you should find as many answers as I can provide

3. I'll probabably just change it to "our computer system" I'll update it in a bit.

EDIT: Here it is, I didn't forget it this time

power_source3.rtf

Edited by Ancalagon

• 8 months later...

Well, I'm back, and I can see that much has changed since I've been gone. You did a very good job on the entry Ancalgon, although I was a little sad that you used nothing from the original. :crying: Oh, well. I actually have the original entry updated and revised to include the ideas put forth in the Xenium 122 entry, but there need not be a turf war over the entry. This project is far too important to worry about ego.

As I stated, I think that you did a great job with the entry. Unfortunately, I think that in an attempt to create a less technical sounding entry, you actually deviated quite a bit from the properties described in the Xenium 122 entry. I have to agree with cartesian when it comes to the "mini black holes". You should focus more on the idea that Xenium 122 is a fold in space-time and has odd properties, and less on the idea that it is a item that affects space-time. When Xenium is used up, the fold just "falls flat". Using the concept in your power source entry, I suggest that when the the Xenium is used up, the resultant vaccum of power creates the explosion described. Or perhaps you can mention how the Xenium becomes inherently unstable as the powersource folds and unfolds space-time. Much like taking a pamphlet and opening/closing it. When the magnetic control field is breached, the process cannot continue and the energy inherent in the process blows outward. This would explain why when you go to a downed ufo where the powersource has been destroyed, you never find any Xenium. It' "fallen flat" and therefore no longer exists.

Also, remember that power is gained by pulling electrons off of either "pole" when Xenium is in use, thus using it up over time. You did a good job of describing it in the entry, but I think it could use just a little more explanation. If you'd like I can send you my revised entry and you can use whatever you like (if anything) and throw out the rest.

My views, however, should not stop production on this entry if we can stamp it "done" and move on to the rest. Once again, thanks for the hard work. Keep it up. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

When I got back from extended hiatus, I noticed that Ancalgon had done an updated Xenium Reactor entry. He did a bang up job with it, and I support his efforts totally. Unfortunatly, the entry does have a couple of inconsistencies, and I can't seem to find out if the entry has been finalized or not. Since there hasn't been a response to the thread in ages, I thought I'd put up a post.

The following is an updated Xenium Reactor entry I had worked on but never posted. It includes Ancalgon's fluff text (slightly modified :wink1: ) as well as the final paragraph in Ancalgon's entry (a paragraph that brings up a really good point).

The 5th paragraph of the entry may be extraneous, but that's up to the masses. Tell me what you think. :D

By the way, I feel the need to point out that the last thing I want is conflict over the entry. Ancalgon did a bang up job with his, and I don't want to create a turf war. I only want to bring the topic to a close. If this creates a conflict, I'll gladly take it down. That being said...

Xenium Reactor

It became apparent in the early stages of this war that the alien menace had access to a better source of power than that utilized by earth-based technologies. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal. With the basic research into the structure of Xenium-122 completed, it became apparent what the aliens were using as a source of power. But how was this power source implemented? We in the science department believe we have uncovered the basis behind the UFO power source.

As was previously stated in the Xenium-122 report (see X-Net Entry: Xenium-122), Xenium-122 is best described as the physical representation of a fold in space-time. By placing the Xenium in a rotating set of magnetic fields electrons gather and can be extracted for use in powering systems. Although this method is extremely stable and produces large amounts of power, research into the Xenium Reactor shows that the immense UFOs reported by field agents use a slightly different system.

In a large reaction chamber at the peak to the Xenium Reactor, a moderate amount of Xenium-122 is placed into a series of rotating magnetic fields. This allows the manipulation of gravity seen in all reported UFO sightings. Amazingly, the reaction chamber’s function does not stop there. By using a series of opposing-force magnetic fields the Xenium is brought from its normally stable state into a state of flux. In essence, this reaction ‘unfolds’ the Xenium part way, and allows it to snap back into its normal state. This reaction gives off a tremendous amount of power, far superior to normal Xenium power systems, and produces a strobe effect able to be seen through the reinforced composite reaction chamber! Though the reaction chamber seems to remain stable throughout the process, it should be emphasized that the reaction is extremely dangerous and a breach in the chamber wall would result in a catastrophic explosion.

Below the reaction chamber lays the alien 'battery'. The energy storage is accomplished through the use of a bio-organic mesh, not entirely dissimilar from the vaguely organic tissue found on alien composites. This mesh is composed of billions upon billions of synthetic neurons, normally in a dormant, un-energized state. Once energy is directed into the mesh, the system becomes active, sending along electrical pulses much like a living animal. The energy travels through these neuron strings past various relays in the system, each leading to UFO system components. When a relay is closed, energy continues through the mesh, perhaps for many cycles. When a relay is open, energy flows into that UFO subsystem. It should be noted that the opening and closing cycles on these relays seems to stagger energy as it enters a system, probably to prevent a power surge or overload in the system. Extended research of this mesh may prove useful, as there are a number of theories pertaining to the use of this battery mesh as computer core as well. It is possible that this mesh is in many ways the central nervous system of any ship.

“Thank god we conducted the lab experiments outside today. Our entire computer system was fried just trying to control that thing. It’s like it was thinking, outsmarting our systems. Suddenly there was a power surge and the containment chamber almost breached. Bloody near killed us all." - David Williams, X-Corps Researcher

Despite repeated attempts to synthesize the 'battery mesh', our laboratory efforts have met with failure. This development has led to the question of how an earth-based UFO power source could operate. At this time, even our best Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries cannot store the full power given off by Xenium Reactor’s process. Attempts to store the energy by other, more unconventional methods have also met with failure. While it is possible to store a part of the power, while venting the rest through a capacitor and into ship systems, it is highly inefficient... and dangerous. Until a battery is developed that is able to handle the Xenium-122 reaction energy, the power must be vented, at least in part, directly into ships systems.

Although the Xenium Reactor is a very effective and capable device, it is apparent that it is not capable of interstellar travel. It, like all engines earth has developed, cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This severely inhibits interstellar travel, implying that the aliens either originated from within our solar system, or that they have other propulsion systems. However, despite this information, it is still more effective than even the best human engines.

It is the science department's belief that this technology should be used immediately to begin research and development of new human craft to combat the alien threat.

All right, what's the final word?

Xenium_Reactor.rtf

Edited by Denevive

With the basic research into the structure of Xenium-122 completed, it became apparent what the aliens were using as a source of power. But how was this power source implemented? We in the science department believe we have uncovered the basis behind the UFO power source.

One minor quibble...

Do we have to research Xenium before we can research teh Xenium Reactor?

IIRC, in the original, both could be researched independent from each other.

I have no idea why (or when) i made that fluff. I can't even understand it myself. :/

"I tell you, that thing is omnipresent.... I can feel it in my legs, as I walk through the UFO, I can sence it whenever I put my hand on the walls. I can hear it whispering in my head, telling me to run away... Either that, or it's just that old pizza I ate yesterday."

not funny, i know. But this CTD already got a fluff, so no problem :P

Edited by mikker

I do not know which entry is the completed draft. I wrote the original Xenium reactor entry (then called UFO Power Source), and it was stamped "completed" at the time. When I got back, I saw that Ancalagon had written an updated Xenium Reactor entry. I had asked if the entry was completed since a few people had mentioned some basic problems in it's concept description, but no one posted back on wheter it was or not. Because I didn't hear back, I decided to post an updated version of the original entry, incorporating some on Ancalagon's writing and concepts.

As I stated in the original post, if there is already an accepted entry that is updated to the Xenium 122 info, I will withdraw the entry. I just figured that since I hadn't seen if one was complete or not, I'd post a combined version of the two entries.

Which entry is the complete one?

• 2 months later...
Just thought that I should mention: The CTD on the asset page is still the original UFO Power Source Entry. Could we finalize either this or Ancalagon's draft sot that the proofreaders can dive in?