XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Guest Jim69

I've been trying to think of things that scared me in XCOM, I don't know about ne1 else, but I have to say very little.

Come to think of it, it is very hard to scare ppl in strategy games, which leads me nicely onto my next point. What scares u most in games, and how do u think it could be implemented into xenocide?

Hehe -

Oh you got me started... Perhaps it was my highly overactive imagination, youth, or just the fact that I usually played in an empty house in the we hours of the morning, but I occasionally got quite the start from X-Com.

Playing a terror mission at night, walking out of the Skyranger, a Chrysallid runs at you, the sounds...the empty house...LOL. Your right though, it was nowhere scary enough.

I think, with the new graphics and improves sounds though, that perhaps we will be able to improve on this aspect. In my opinion though, it will rely most heavily on the sound department.

Gold

Sounds add even more inmersion than Graphics.... So it will be on the Sounds Department for sure...

By the way when I bought my first Sound Blaster 16 when I has my old 386 (Lots of years ago) I got pretty scared playing Age of the Beholder 3 ... And XCom Night Terror missions too, but we win XCom with my best friend (and we always play it toghether, so it wasnt as scary)... I was the one that said... Dont go to that terror site or get out of here when we found out it was Snakeman instead of sectoids....

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

What used to scare me in Xcom? Nothing really but the tension was kept high for me by night terror missions and alien base raiding.

What scares me is that xenocide won't be the greatest game. :) I don't know how that can be transferred into the game other than hard work and devotion to the Shub-Xenocide demon :devillaugh:

Seriously though not much scares me in games at all. I guess I've been playing them for way too long. Oh and that A-level in Psychology.

As to what elements make a game scary, thats an easy one. Atmospheric lighting coupled with creepy (creepy not cheesy :)) music. Unexpected surprises and anything that triggers a fight or flight response. That's actually quite a difficult thing to acheive in a game where you know there is no physical danger. Some examples of games that have the scare factor IMO: Doom (first time playing that at night), Alien vs Predator with the optional music cd in. Unreal, the first scene without the guns and the screaming in the distance raised the old brown brain juice.

How to impliment a scare factor in xenocide? Other than visual and aural stimuli there isn't a lot we can add that would be scary without moving away from the feel of xcom.

Guest Jim69

Yeah, I was thinking sound, which will obviously be implemented, from what I've heard so far ne way, well.

Would good, atmospheric dynamic lighting be possible to do? I'm talking on the scale of Splinter Cell, with the scale of it not needed as much because of a more distant view. I would have thought that would be quite hard, but I ain't no programmer.

I'm not sure what the level of dynamic lighting will be. Not that much in the general battlescape, but for alien bases I think we should put in something. If you've seen pics of Freedom Ridge: Dreamland chronicles I think we should be able to pull something like that off. Edited by Deimos

Guest drewid

lighting and sound.

Aliens doom is still the scariest thing I've played, and that was ages ago.

tension was built up by having -nothing- happening on the first level

Deeper levels were maze like, easy to get lost in, so you tended to creep along trying to remember where you are, then something comes screaming out of the darkness behind you.

So stealthy play - darkness - with sudden loud attacks is a good thing to promote,

also hearing aliens scraping about without being able to see them. and noises of people suffering off in the distance.

dynamic lighting. various approaches we can take to this, static lighting is cheap (if not free),

semi-dynamic vertex lighting (having base vertex light values, which you can superimpose extra light/darkness onto in small doses).

Full on dynamic lighting will run into hardware problems pretty quickly, we certainly couldn't stick in a dynamic light for each trooper, though we could do something for the current trooper pretty easily.

Making daytime terror mission scarier is a challenge. perhaps metro/underground tunnels, big dark warehouses full of a mazes of crates, dark cellars and attics.

Guest Jim69

What I meant by like splinter cell is that everything casts shadows. This would make the daytime missions harder, just tweak the AI so that in daylight they not only look for cover, but for shaded cover.

This would cause more events of aliens jumping out of somewhere unseen right next to ur best guy and popping him with a plasma :crying: I can see it now.

I think that notstop aliens coming at u is not scary. I think the best thing ingame will be how the AI works with a small number of troops, trying to jump out at u. Possibly not firing as soon as they get a target, maybe waiting 4 an ambush.

i get scared sometimes on all missions. usually on terror missions. i just got scared yestarday from my own proximity grenade. i was going to purposly damage my my main soldier and i thought the grenade was going to blow at the begginning of the next round, but it didnt and i jumped. this game is jumpy scary, im not terrified at it. (didnt damage him at all, im going to start throwing alien grenades at him untill he gets 100 health.

I think the scaryest games I've ever played were "alone in the dark":s a LONG time ago. Older gamesters will probably remember this series. There was a "feeling" and suddenly opening doors and spooky looking creatures jumping from the windows. It was great to play "alone in the dark" ALONE IN THE DARK ^_^ (I know, alone in the dark reads there two times in a row, it's not an accident) Well anyways, after that maybe resident evil has been almost as scary, also with sudden surprises and hands grabbing you from behind and that kind of things. There are three things that makes the game scary.

1. Dark, not much visibility. Maybe dark AND fog or something.. It always works. (and saves processor speed for something else :D )

2.Good music and voices, maybe in this Xenocide in terror mission we should make those screaming civilian voices better..

3.If these first two things work, then you MUST play:

alone

in the dark

at night

Oh, that's just soooo spooky... :whatwhat:

comments?

Most people fear the unknown :unsure:

So if you make it unpredictable + sounds and music to get the tension going

Throw in a few surprises (like and ambush or trap) :explode:

So over all make the player sweet for it :D

Guest Jim69

I think the trick is to put the player in a seemingly impossible situation, but actually give them a way out. This is fairly easy in scripted games, but in this kind of game it is a lot harder. Which is why I made the post in the first place :D

I don't think insurmountable odds are the way either. I think aliens need to make much better use of unlight areas and cover for ambushes.

Hmm, yeah, but they should still get a light penelty, just a bit.

The thing in games at general, was when in Doom, their was in map 3 i belive, a place overlooking a toxic waste area. A little ledge goes out, with the red cardkey on. When you pick it up, and turn arround, a door opens and a pink mutated pig attacks you. Boy! I did almost not sleep for 3 nights!

In X-com, it would have been in an ethernal mission, very large ufo, and at night. I have learned of previus missions that if i drop my weapons, they will not attack me (duh), so i dissarmed all my men. I have sent out a lonely scout, with a laser riffle. He had flying armor. I sent him out to scout, but an ethernal got hold of one of my rear men in the skyranger, and mindcontroled him. I thought, hehe, i have dropped all his weapons, so haha, but i most have forgot about the granate. It simply blow the skyranger crew (5 of them, a total of 6. hehe) to smitheries. I then had a lonely scout left, and boy that was fun! I even managed to kill the alien commander with a granade...standing next to him...hehe

yeah, i played alone in the dark: jack is back. With that evil clown! brrrrr

Edited by mikker

2.Good music and voices, maybe in this Xenocide in terror mission we should make those screaming civilian voices better..

3.If these first two things work, then you MUST play:

alone

in the dark

at night

I always played AvP alone in the dark... :rock: ...as an alien. :devillaugh:

I think my best scary game experience was system shock (the original). There was this one room that scared the crap out of me, even long after I had cleared all the flying mutants out of it. It was the music. Just a deep, rumbling drone. It was great. It was probably the brown noise, for that matter. Good stuff.

Other than that, I say keep 'em guessing. I can think of 2 ways to do that.

1. Have aliens and civilians be confused occasionally. Either make a generic shape visible before you can tell (even by the outline) whether it's a civilian or some freak from space, OR make your guys actually recognize it as the wrong thing. It's dark. You see a civilian in the shadows. You walk by. It slaughters you. On the other hand, that could be a pain in the buttocks when you blast a civilian. I dunno. Maybe the generic shape idea is better.

2. Make a LOT of sounds for any given situation, especially the scary situations. Make ten different possible sounds for each alien death, and twenty for human deaths, and make some of them really really wierd. Then add a lot of wierd ambient noise, like cats and crickets and buzzing lights. Then a civilian dies in the distance, and it almost sounds like a cat crying...and then a cat cries right next to you.

Afterthought: You know in the first two, when it's the aliens' turn and the screen jumps around, showing alien movement and occasionally civilians dying and screaming at full volume? How about instead the screen centers on your group, or on the member of your group who's hearing or seeing the aliens do their thing, and the sounds are appropriately faded out?

2.  Make a LOT of sounds for any given situation, especially the scary situations.  Make ten different possible sounds for each alien death, and twenty for human deaths, and make some of them really really wierd.  Then add a lot of wierd ambient noise, like cats and crickets and buzzing lights.  Then a civilian dies in the distance, and it almost sounds like a cat crying...and then a cat cries right next to you.

I like this idea :)

I can see it working really well. Lots of ambient noise would be good. Though it would have to stay as background noise otherwise it would distract from play.

Oh, yesterday, i looked into a barn in a down terror UFO. 2 snakemen were in there. I killed them, and moved on, leaving my sharp-shooting Commander behind. What i didn't know was that on the seacond floor a cryssaloid was hidding! When the rest was cleared, and i went on alien hunt, it suddenly walked out of the doorway, 2 squares away from my commander! The commander killed him with a reactionshot! hehe. phew :wacko:

reactionshots also gives me the creeps!

Hehe...and then came AvP 2, and you get to be one...

*critter* *critter*

"Huh?"

*critter* *critter*

"AAAAAAAHHH!"

"Hehehe."

X-com didn't scare anyone?

It didn't "scare" me neither, except one way. Example.. Your first or second alien base, you have killed 20 aliens and you have lost almost whole crew. You have tank rocket launcher without ammo and two soldiers left.. You use the tank as a scout and shield. Soldiers running behind.. Suddenly someone shoots your other soldier from behind.. DAMN! You quickly move your other soldier to cover and turn your tank around.. Next turn you move that tank closer to the spot where the deadly fire came from.. "boom, boom, boom, crash" Alien has reactionfired your tank to pieces and only one soldier is left. You must think hard.. Save your skyranger and the best soldier or find that motherf**ker and shoot him in the head. You decide to take the risk and search.. Every corner you walk to, you close your eyes and hope you won't hear that heavyplasma voice. You walk on the corpses of your own teammates and aliens.. You come to next corner "boom" you scream but then realize that the alien shot only once and your soldier is alive! That alien must have timeunits left for react but you don't see that bastard, you must walk closer..

End is up to you but sometimes there are scary moments.. Other example would be a terror site.. All killed, only two soldiers and a chryssalid left in the night.. After about 10min of searching your soldiers are almost side by side and on the hidden movement you see that chryssalid walking your way.. "react idiot REAAACT!!!" :uzzi:

have i every told about the bug, that made the cryssalod invisible after it being knocked out cold?

da stealth of death!

The music was pretty scary. Also the thing that scares most people is sudden noise. Simple really, just that loud shot from no where then the sudden scream.

Anyway for scary, is has to be THE THING if anyone has seen that movie. Basicly it is about how this alien infects people and you don't know who to trust. Now that's tension.

No you put the gun down.

No! you!

The music was pretty scary.  Also the thing that scares most people is sudden noise.  Simple really, just that loud shot from no where then the sudden scream.

YES! The weapon sounds must be much more pointed than they were in the first games. Sort of a piercing BAM or an electrical CRACK more than some lame whoosh. That'd definitely raise the tension for me.

The ambiance isn't everything when it comes to setting up the player. It's what roots the player down in the world and gets him or her to suspend disbelief - and that's when the player is susceptable to emotional reactions to your game. But the circumstances that are being sold with that ambiance are the real deal that has to come across for this to be a successful game.

I think the level of control you had, that feeling that you actually were managing a secret project and that your decisions were important, set the game up and really gave X-Com's missions their kick. The background, the unknown factor in development, the budget and operations pressure... you had enough decisions to make to really bring you right into the center of the action. You started out with that feeling of control, of careful preparation - but then when your plan went south in a hurry because of bad tactics or bad luck, and that's when it got tense. "I have a foolproof plan... but, oh sh**, what do I do now?" - that's X-Com's hook.

The other tension-creating factor in X-Com was the slow drip of crucial info and supplies they let you have to keep up the sense of the unknown lurking around the corner. From never quite knowing when research was going to turn up, to waiting for those crucial supplies arriving soon (one hoped), to the fog of war on the battlescape keeping you from knowing exactly what you were up against or where they were... they got the pacing just right to keep you fed, but just enough to stay alive (some of the time). I think its crucial to keep this in mind during development.

I think the effects mentioned in other posts above will set the mood during gameplay well, but it's that control/haywire balance that made X-Com great. I mean, the original ran on a 286 with the original Soundblaster card - it definately wasn't high production values that made the first game so great. They are important, yes, but the other gameplay factors must be there for the presentation to work.

On ambiance, though, I think it might be good to try and tie in a lot of the sci-fi mystery that shrouds UFOs and secret projects. Delve a little bit into the world of UFO conspiracy, but give the player the feeling that he's the insider. Use grainy photos, Top Secret Codename documents- the works- in the interface and background materials. Nothing too over the top, because whatever gets set up has to be delivered, but enough to satisfy conditions for plausibility that match the rest of the presentation the interface and 3D guys are setting up. After all, with current 3D graphics replacing the pixelized cartoon characters of the first game, the rest of the atmosphere for Project Xenocide has a lot to live up to.

Kenshiro's analysis couldn't be more right with everyword. Get that man on board on the design squad!!

I echo it all.

I add this:

When something unexpected happens. 'Hyperwhat's?' - 'Psionics? Is that like pressure gauges or some thing?' - 'My trooper is a sodding zombie!?! AArgh!" - "Is that giant brian pulsating?" - 'Hey I didn't think my guy would react in the alien's turn and shoot his own crew?!? Is that a combination of fast reactions and shockingly poor accuracy, no wait he's counted as an enemy!!! What The &*^k?!!' When what you expect does a somersault and you realise for the tenth time that this enemy you are fighting moves the battle to totally new areas with some regularity. Areas it knows too well and areas you are new to.

Hmmm most scary game? Doom 1 (i was 7 years old then :)

Hmm how to make xenocide scary? We have to play with shadows. During mission one of your man can see something in the dark... he doesn't know if this is alien or civilian. We can show only a simple shape or shadow.

During alien movement phase the camera view should be changed to FPP view. There will be screen with "alien movement" but when somthing is going to happen the screen disapears and is replaced by soldier's eyes view. this will be easier to show some shadows, movement etc. Like in AvP. Chryssalis can sneak and then soldier turn back... *ARGH*. The whole "process" should take about 5-6 seconds.

Guest Jim69
Whats the point of FPS? Just a waste of coding, graphics, and CPU Cycles. Not a good idea IMHO. The way the original did the little flashes of alien movement that could be seen was fine 4 me, and could still should the alien shadow effect u r saying. With the added bonus of much less coding 2 boot. Plus the fact that everything outside the map would have 2 be rendored, or it would look crap.

Guest Jim69

As far as I always thought of it, FPP and a 3D strat game are FAR different engines for 2 simple reasons:

1. The quality of models will have to be FAR greater for a FPP

2. What is the end of the map gonna look like? A big black open space? Not a problem in a strat game, but in FPP...

Basically, if this happens it's gonna push the poly's up alot in FPP, or it's just gonna look lame, IMHO, although I'm sure others will disagree. One 4 the programmers really I spose.

Guest Jim69
3d engine is good, esp if the last hope mod were ported in asthe mission engine.  Do you see some work load disappearing?.....

Ported how? As far as I knew, the mod is 4 Half-Life or summint like that, and I doubt that the makers are gonna let us have the source code 4 Half-Life any time Soon. Besides, by the looks of it this project is standing on it's own 2 feet now, rather than relying on the Last Hope project's models, however I could be wrong.

I was thinking about something. I think something that made Xcom and most of the other older games so good was that they were low tech. That kinda left our imagination to actually fill in the gaps. As a result, our brains actually worked. And what video card could possibly compete with the vivid visuals a human mind can actually create?

I just hope that when we do finish this game, we can keep in mind that Xcom was beautiful because it didn't spoil us with it's high tech gimmickery.

Oh yeah if you want something scary, try playing Parasite Eve 1 and 2 in the dark, alone, and in full stereo. :crying:

3d engine is good, esp if the last hope mod were ported in asthe mission engine.  Do you see some work load disappearing?.....

As Jim pointed out the last hope mod is a mod of half life. For xenocide we are writing our own engine. The FPS issue has been discussed over and over. It might be a good idea to go read up on the forums what we have already discussed to stop the discussions going round and round in circles :)

Guest Jim69
I was thinking about something. I think something that made Xcom and most of the other older games so good was that they were low tech. That kinda left our imagination to actually fill in the gaps. As a result, our brains actually worked. And what video card could possibly compete with the vivid visuals a human mind can actually create?

I just hope that when we do finish this game, we can keep in mind that Xcom was beautiful because it didn't spoil us with it's high tech gimmickery.

Oh yeah if you want something scary, try playing Parasite Eve 1 and 2 in the dark, alone, and in full stereo. :crying:

I agree wholeheartedly with u, although the main reasoning was not to leave it to the imagination, or rather it was, but they were forced into this by the constraints of the day.

In a way, their job was easier because they didn't have to make the choice between flashy graphics and imagination, because that choice was made for them. We have the choice, and I firmly believe that striking the correct balance between graphics and leaving things to the imagination will either make or break this project. Working with sounds and shadows to create an atmosphere will help achieve this balance I believe.

However, I am no sceptic. We have one advantage that most game companies don't: A large fanbase of the original are the ones who are making the game, we know exactly what worked and what didn't without needing a "Focus Group" to tell us. The fans are the ones making the desicisions, and with the obvious talent that has been presented so far (special mention to the art and modelling dept.) I can only see a corker of a game being the end result. :happybanana:

I agree...it's nice to be working on this with a group of people who seem to want to create a decent product. Making a sloppy remake would only detract from a great game. :beer:

The only game that has scared me was Alien Vs. Predator.

Being a marine is so freaky....yout walking along a corridor..you can hear the aliens but you cant see them...suddenly you can see something moving on you motion sencor....no just rat....then a alien comes busting through the vents and eats you.

I think the sound was what scared me the most. not seeing the alien(and being able to shoot its donkey) creapt me out

I agree with the hamster. Playtesting to the point that you've got a smooth product is more important than anything, and I mean anything else.

Here's an example of what I mean.

http://www.totallyscrewed.net/

Check out zombie smashers x in particular. Shitty graphics. No plot. Smooth as silk. One of the best games I've ever played.

[EDIT]

Oops. Didn't read the second half of the thread before replying. :Blush: Hear hear. You guys rock. *Clink*

And, yeah, AvP makes me wet myself. :crying: I love it.

Edited by Fred the Goat

• 1 year later...

I kecked my pants the first time I came across an ethill :P

Plus the humons were a bit scary with low grade weapons... ah crap I can't kill them *plasma fire takes out whole platoon*

I'm a girl :P

Scariest game I have ever played was thief (3) deadly shadows. Most of the game was fairly generic thief stuff like the first two thief games, but near the end of the game you have to break into an old orphanage that was turned into an insane asylum where a girl had been murdered and eaten. The premise of the thief games is that you are always hiding in the shadows because you can barely defend yourself.

So you break in and you hear all these strange noises and voices. Then this banging starts really loud. The worst part is, is that you never find the undead mental patients for like a half hour. By then I was so psyched up that I had to stop playing for a few days before finnishing the level. Oh, I'm 24 years old and have a BS in psychology. Pretty sad huh?

I think the loud alien footsteps were probably the most jarring part of X-COM 1. You knew that each shot was as likely to kill one of your guys as it was not. Those footsteps meant that your guys were caught in the open, probably dead. It was this same sense of nervous anticipation, knowing your team/or self was in danger that helped make AVP scary. That first level was crazy because you expected hordes of aliens to appear four or five times, but nothing. The next level when a couple came out, I ended up emptying a full clip into their corpses in panick fire. Also scary was that HP shot out of no where that killed a guy, and you don't know where the shooter is.

So in summary:

1) Make sure that the guy who shoots first is probably the winner. Apocalypse sucked because you could afford to take some fire and expose yourself. In UFO DEFENSE, exposing yourself to fire was suicide.

2) Make sure you get glimpses of the aliens locations through footsteps and those alien movement phases. THis builds anticipation and anxiety.

3) Make the aliens change tactics and usually wait and ambush your guys. Mission failure should be a real concern if you get in their cross hairs.

4) Make characters in shadows/in bad visual conditions just look like a generic shape, meaning they haven't been IDed.

Long ambient background tracks like for example the "song" (more of just a bunch of screams and metallic clangs) "Aphex Twin - Gwarek 2". That is scary as shuckeroonies. No music for the battlescape, just ambient noise tracks. In addition to the overall level-wide noise track you have the individual looping radius sounds around UFOs, Skyranger, etc. The sound would be heard from the soldier though, not the camera, because if it would be from the camera, you'd be able to tell were the UFO is by finding the sound with the camera. Also, there should be some occasional randomly triggered sounds. There should be corpses all over terror sites when you get there. Not just any corpses though, corpses with blood and organs spread all over the walls/floors. Maybe some mutilated cows on farm missions. Flickering lights. Lights cast shadows. Signs waving in the wind in synchronization to the loudness of the wind sound. Terror sites should have burn marks due to plasma fire. Also, there should be crashed vehicles. Burning corpses. Pre-zombified people on snakeman terror missions. Also, the death sequences should be much more well done. Getting hit with a plasma bolt is much more than "argh". It's getting hit in the face with flames more hot then you've ever felt and then rolling around screaming for a second or two trying to put out the fire and then finally dying. BTW, I've always thought that plasma bolts should start fires where they hit.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that scares me? well in TFTD I was always scared of the Hallucenoid :uhoh: and that giant brain that just appears on your screen turning your men into zombies. Gives me the creeps everytime.

Chrysillid is half as not scary as the Tentaculat! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think scary is a triggered response. The best way to get to that emotion is to hit the TABOOS! There are things that everyone finds creepy for instance.... Heart beat sounds, Screams, .... Canablisim, Insanity, Insest.... these things scare because they invoke deep emotions that have been honed in since childhood... feelings of being alone, not in control, Death... Supernatural. Lighting and Sounds play a part in invoking these feelings... Darkness make you feel alone and vulnerable... Screams and Heart Beats make you feel Mortal or capable of being killed (Death). Visuals can be just as important models of the aliens that incorperate grotesque concepts, which is why the crystalids effect everyone so much. The more warped the model, twisted, flayed skin... when creature of a perticual twist get close a heatbeat starts but increases as it gets closer. These things I think will increase the emotional impact of the game.