XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Whats The Worst Situation You Been In And Lived?

Here you can mention those hopeless situations youve been in and came out of O.K., or not O.K., or didnt even come out of at all.

For me, It was a base defense mission. At the breifing screen i thought this would be another easy mission :D . But when I got to the equipment screen there was a big problem. I had:

10 psi amps(no training)

10 electro flares

10 motion detectors

10 proximity grenades

1 medipack

3 cannons

21 cannon rounds

11 grenades

4 heavy plasma(no clips)

2 hwp (plasma and rockets)

10 soldiers

I thought "oh sh|t! only 3 guns!" :cussing: .when i got to battle scape I remembered I had 1 choke point. Just stuff my hwps there. When I got there I saw an etheral in the acsess lift. Not Etherals :uhoh: !!!!!!!Plasma shot :plasma: . dead etheral :D .When I get to the hangers(right next to the acess lift, I stopped at the doorway) theres some more etherals. They shoot me, no damage ^_^ . I shoot them a few die. So I have my hwp there for 2 more turns and no damage on them (4 rockets left).I end my turn after killing some more etherals. Out of nowere comes a blasterbomb and hit right in the middle of my 2 tanks :whatwhat: . No more tanks. What the he|| do i do now? I send my 3 guys with cannons to hold the etherals off. one of the etherals mind controls my one guy and he shoots at my commander. No damage. My turn. Is shoot. 1 kill. Alien turn blaster bomb :eek:. two guys dead.My turn. Send two unarmed guys in to pick up dead xcom peeps weopons. few turn later all etherals and there 1 sectopod dead.casulties:

2 soldiers

2 hwps

Not to bad :party:

Edited by Deathskull

Vs mutons in cultivated they killed all but one guy, he turned into Rambo and them finished off all I had were t-shirts and lasers. For some reason the computer seems to have a harder time vs your last man.

Maybe to give us a chance??

*oh look, there is only one left. Awwww, look at him, isn't he cute*

several turns later

*oh stuff this, I want to get back to Mars, hey, you over there, give him a blaster! Ah, that's better.*

about 2 days into my 2nd game of REAL superhuman... i had a terror mission with Sectoids and cyberdisks.... LOTS AND LOTS OF CYBERDISKS!!!!

I had rifles, pistols, an auto cannon, and one rocket launher with 7 (large) rounds. Electro flares (3), tons and tons of grenades (I love grenades :D ). 0 medkits (not done researching) with a few squaddies, a sergent, and the rest rookies (max people in Skyranger, NO HWP... i dont believe in those)

Ok, basically from the start i knew i was in for a heck of a fight, so i saved when i started the battlescape and tried literally for a month of gaming (1 hour or more a day give or take a couple days) to fight my way out of it. I got bored, so i went to a earlier save (before going on the mission) and reentered it to find a MUCH easier setup, and quickly beat that mission. I could have beaten this setup had i saved mid-misson like some people do, but hey, i wanted to play the game for a challange, instead of breezing through the game.

About this battle i had to restart:

My first sight is 3 cyber disks parked right outside the skyranger... Under the Ramp is a Sectoid, There are at least (i could not tell FOR SURE) 5 more cyber disks scattered around the map killing every civilian with some random amount of Sectoids (had no clue). i was not going to save the civilian in any way shape or form, i figured why waste the effort when i am trying to stay alive myself.

my rocket guy is one row from the front, so usually at the beginning i pulled an operation Human Shield and rocketed the 2 grouped CDs (cyber disks) while grenading. I tried rushing out then attacking, but the CDs had such good reactions (compared to my guys. the aliens seem to have better reactions then you always :( ) they would kill as many getting out as compared to getting shot at inside the stupid Skyranger. When i leveled the CDs, usually i would see another wander in from the north (top of screen). Usually i would lose half my people in the beginning (if i made it out at all), once i lost only one guy, i was happy :), for that round at least. I massed explosives (in every shape) but those basturds are just the hardest things to try and kill with the equipment you have at start when they are hovering in the air. I was often ambushed by Sectoids while massing all my forces to take out ONE of the stupid CDs. Yea, the hardest part was the fact that there was 3 right outside my start... Very Very annoying, and i couldnt kill them quickly (cant mass grenades because all my troops are stuck inside). After laser rifles, CDs are nothing special though... frekin rifles just are the SUX!!! grrr... hate em

Lasers <3

[/laser fan]

^_^

Vs mutons in cultivated they killed all but one guy, he turned into Rambo and them finished off all I had were t-shirts and lasers.  For some reason the computer seems to have a harder time vs your last man.

Thats because its harder to find one guy if thats all you have rather than one guy out of 10.

just like it's lots of hard for you to find the last alien ;)

i don't play much ufo (more tftd, so not many missions to report) since i usually get into deep sh*t with it. if it's an etheral site, it's ABORT as soon as i get there. the loss of good soldiers, equipment and craft simply doesn't compensate the loss of score. it's simply, the minute my men step out of the craft it's zap or MC. or they may not even need to get out of the craft, sometimes i just wait one turn and it's one MC, one grenade, all dead :whatwhat:

with chrysalids, not so hard, but i still play it safe. first i wait about 10 turns in the skyranger waiting for them to start coming near the skyranger to zombify my soldiers and get zapped with lots of reactions shots. when they're all dead and there's still live aliens (probably snakemen since chrysalid always come towards your soldiers and they don't travel alone) i decide to go look around in every building, with my men in groups of 2/3 so no alien sneaks up on them and eventually find the little bugger and kill it.

any other aliens... they eventualy get zapped. simple ;)

edit: on this topic, i think i'm gonna put myself up for a challenge. play UFO (which i find much harder than TFTD, even in Beginner), in Veteran (no, i'm not trying Superhuman. not until i beat UFO at least once) and without loading (except in critical situations, or since i can't leave the computer on 24 hours a day :P )

Edited by SupSuper

The computer cheats guys! It knows where you are at all times. How else do complete isolated soldiers that haven't bee nseen by anyone friend-of-foe still get psionically attacked.

I dropped down into a UFO through the roof stupidly. I only say stupidly because I didn't have any TU's left after I looked around the UFO, only to see 5 mutons (3 looking in my direction).

When it was their turn 2 mutons missed (single shots) but the other 3 mutons used auto and hit me numerous times. I was alive though (about 50% life) when it came to my turn. I lifted off, got away from the ufo opening. I made a soldier launch a blaster bomb through the roof of the ufo to end their insignificant lives. :devillaugh: Never mess with Cmdr. Luke... Alien Scum! :sly:

Edit: Small Ufo I might add. :wacko:

I'll try to think of other times, but none come to mind right now. :blink:

Edited by Cmdr. Luke

It's a terror site. I have only 6 soldiers that are not wounded so I go in with that. There are chryssalids all over. It's a tough battle and I lost most of my soldiers, even after several reloads.

I end up with ONE soldier, and he gets shot, but doesn't die. He has 11 health left and 3 fatal wounds. Which means I have exactly 3 turns to make it out alive, and there are 3 chryssalids left.

I miraculously survived!

• 3 weeks later...

I recruited 20 new soldiers and was going to train and I was sent to a terror mission across the world, so I finished that and the soldiers that I ordered arrived and then my base was attacked, amazingly my defenses didn't destroy the ufo so I was stuck with 20 t-shirt rookies armed with 4 heavy, plasmas, 23 plasma rifles, only 13 clips for rifle and 2 clips for heavy, I lost that base

P.S.If anyone wants the story of the battle ask or PM me

Edited by Mustang

My coolest mission was the heroic defence of Kappa base. It was a training base/listening post so it was chock full of Pijama wearing rookies with, you guessed it RIFLES! I had something like 20 rookies 10 or so rifles, for some reason I had something like 40 rifle clips, a single HP with 4 clips, a handful of gernades a HWP plasma and a Sargent named (I kid you not) Sargent Badass wearing power armour who I had transfered on a whim from another base after humerously comeing to the conclusion that the rookies needed a drill instructor.

Fortunatly my base was fairly well organized, it was fairly small and I took my time building it so Choke points were in abundance. I figured as long as I was up against floaters or sectoids I'd be fine, organize a few lines of defence and wear them down by attrition.

Unfortunatly the first thing I see after starting the mission was a big fat ugly muton. I don't know how many of you have tried to take those SOB's down with rifles but it isn't a pretty site. My waves of defences were overwhealmed disturbingly fast and eventually the only survivors were Sargent Badass and 3 half dead redshirts with an assortment of looted plasma weapons covering the door of a general storage. As another wave of mutons went rampageing up the corridor they set off the half dozen proximity gernades I had set. I managed to take down most of the survivors with plasma fire. On their turn they returned fire and another rookie bit it. It quite literally became a case of fireing randmomly down the corridor and crossing my fingers every time I hit the end turn button.

In the end I was left with Badass and the two rookies who later were named Hardcore and PlatedSkull (both of whom survived to later kick donkey and take names on Mars) in honor of their achivements literally standing on top of a pile of corpses. I killed 25 aliens that mission 17 of which were split up between the 3 survivors.

Probably my favorite mission of all time. I wanted to make a movie of it.

• 3 months later...

Assaulting an abducter with floaters in farmhouse map at night. Squad compromised of a Commander, a seargant and a bunch of rooks with lasers. Lost almost all rookies before i got to the ship (bastage floaters sniped me from the rooftops and from inside the buildings, had to fight them house to house). As i enter the small command room in the abducter, 3 floaters pop-up and shoot my remaining Rookie. Seargant moves up, kills the floaters, turns around the corner to see if theres anything at the lift, gets reaction-zapped.

At this point im 50/50 on turning back and saving my commander.

Decided, however, to finish (what i thought to be the remaining bug) with a nade round the corner. Heard a scream, but mission isnt over yet.

So i take the commander up to the lift, realise that im out of grenades, and decide to move back to the 3 floaters in the command section and grab one off them. As i open the doors, contact appears, auto-shot = last bug dead.

Was on the edge of my seat as soon as i started loosing the rooks, i knew that the bastage floaters would get me.

As to the commander, he'd probably die had he not turned back for the nades (didnt suspect a contact to apprach me from the outside and into the UFO).

It's a terror site. I have only 6 soldiers that are not wounded so I go in with that. There are chryssalids all over. It's a tough battle and I lost most of my soldiers, even after several reloads.

I end up with ONE soldier, and he gets shot, but doesn't die. He has 11 health left and 3 fatal wounds. Which means I have exactly 3 turns to make it out alive, and there are 3 chryssalids left.

I miraculously survived!

No, you survived by reloading <_>

Forget the miracles..

• 1 month later...

No, you survived by reloading

Forget the miracles..

thats harsh

my worst situatoin i lived through was my v first cydonia attempt

a cyberdisk shot my scouts and 3 soldiers as they left the craft

a sectoid grenaded my comander as he stepped onto the green area

inside all but one of my troops died by turn 3

this one soldier killed a dozen aliens

and then.................used his last shot on the brain

i win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

LOL...all these are pretty funny....heres mine

Ok my first time inside the final level...i had about 12 guys with heavy plasmas and 1 blaster laucher and 2 HWP-plasma

The lifts where probably exactly on each side of the map...that was fun..

And since this was my first time...i didnt know what the if-you-see-Kay to look for so i searched the entire base...lost 5 guys....and guess what?!

the last room i didnt check was the brain room...

but oh yes....a sectapod came and raped my tanks and one guy then left, i waited roughly 2 turns for him to come back...but nope

Anyways im right outside the lower entrance to the brain room with 4 guys left 1 guy barly alive...i decide to let him go in first....RAPED by like 3 plasma shots and then i go in with two guys my next turn...3 ethereals where down at the end of the hall, i slowly advanced at about 3-4 squares a turn...

*sigh* that sectapod came back and raped 2 of my guys and my last remaining guy finally fragged that donkey...

My last remaining guy stood outside the south lift facing in a way so he could cover them both, one ethereal came down and my guy btw....hes a squaddie...owned him with 1 shot... ^_^

For about 30 seconds i debated wether or not i should go up...so i did....i turned around and saw 3 flashing lights....ethereals all facing towards me....then i saw the brain i was like holy shuckeroonies! OMG WTF?

1 eth was at the very left mid of the chairs and another on the right somewhere in the middle of the row of chairs...the other one was someplace behind the other lift...

Now i had enough shots to take em all out...but the brain was plainly in sight...

i crouched my guy down and auto fired...1 shot goes by...nearly hits it....

second...misses by a mile and actually almost hit an ethy...

the third shot....GLADLY hit the very bottom of the brain but i didnt know i had to destroy it all so i auto fired it again...took out another peice and then ended turn and hoped for the best....then saw the outro scene....

TREAT YOUR SQUADDIES WITH RESPECT! THAT IDIOT JUST SAVED THE WORLD ^-^

TREAT YOUR SQUADDIES WITH RESPECT! THAT IDIOT JUST SAVED THE WORLD ^-^

:LOL:

I agree, I always have rookies and squaddies in the final mission too :D

Guest KillZone

Hmmmm my worst....wow it was only a few mins ago as well

My lovely new HWD reported 2 Larges an a VLarge all at one...

they all land and I send my stupid Skyranger off to the BattleShip...

Well it turns up with 6 men on board, 4 in Personal Armour, 2 in TShirts, all with Hvy Plasmas

March everyone out side and find Im fighting Mutons "There is no god there is no god..."

In the turns when something actually happens Ive killed 1 Muton and all but two of my men are dead...namely my Rambo style Sgt Killzone and some Rookie in a TShirt

They have a nice clear firing line to the big center foot zone where I see a whole load of Mutons pouring out every turn...

Well the cut the rest short, Rambo Killzone and the Rookie kill every Muton bastard that comes out and Ive just successfully secured a Battleship whole...

With 2 men...I shoulda taken a SS :cussing:

• 1 month later...

The worst was an alien base. One alien left and only one tank. But just a bad tactic :cussing: (soldiers not going packed enough) I had the alien behind a door getting out and shooting the next soldier who got in sight. Then a tank, 30 reaction points, an alien behind a door, the rocket doesn't make damage to the other side. An alien who kicked fast reaction soldiers... Sure lose mision :crying:. After trying a rocket to the door and next turn, hoping to be able to run away with the tank, the alien gets out and tanks makes a reaction shot! Alien dead! :happybanana:

A bad situation. I got one of my most loved soldiers :wub:, Michiko Okamoto, blonde japanese chick, without TU and a chryssalid at five squares distance. All my near powerful weapons are out of TU (I forgot to click on reserve TU and notice it now), I have one far guy with a laser pistol. I shoot it and it kills it!!!! My love is saved!! :happybanana:

But the worst involving chryssalids (that in begginer) is watching one of them running to my solider, he gets the square next to it, oh no!.... and he turns 180 degrees and go back where he was at start.

But the worst thing I ever saw was having one solider seeing a floater going out a door, take a shoot reaction and kill the commander who was between him and the floater. The most accurate shots of that soldier in his life. Sentenced to death penalty.

Edited by Admiral Harkov

Ah couple of cases...

first... battleship ethril...no chance, ended up with one guy who kept getting controlled :P

a second was very close, moved my last soldier through a building I though was clear then I spot an alien with not TU left, so then I wind up chopping through the beuilding with plasma then getting my last guy to HE-AC the alien,

then in the same mission the guy did it again, went into another building the wond up with another alien right next to him :P

That's probably one of the most important things to remember when playing X-com... Well, one of..

1: always leave your guys with TU's left over to check around corners and take cover if needed

2: always send your guys out IN A TEAM! NEVER alone.

3: try to avoid grouping your soldiers too tightly

4: Avoid firing into the frey of battle from long distances.. Shots tend to stray and I have seen many shots that looked like they were going to hit an alien instead nail my teammate in the back of the head.

Beginner Difficulty. One of my first times playing UFO. Just finished researching heavy plasmas, started manufactoring them. Still had 2 Interceptors, 2 Skyrangers. The next three game minutes went like this:

First Minute:

Large UFO Detected! :blink:

UFO lands by base.

Second Minute:

Large UFO Detected! :blink: :blink:

UFO lands near first UFO.

Third Minute:

Very Large UFO Detected! :crying: :crying: :crying:

UFO (you know it!) lands near other two.

Loaded up Skyranger with all the soldiers it could carry, (6 rookies, 4 squaddies, 3 sergeants and captains, a colonal, or something like that) 8 laser rifles, 6 plasma rifles, a rocket launcher (I believe in bringing extra weapons). Skyranger lands near large ufo 1.

----------------------

First turn:

Rookies near entrance of Skyranger kneel, every1 else primes grenades. I cross my fingers and feverishly hope one of my primed-grenade-packing guys doesn't get shot in the Skyranger (no armor yet). Movement detected, no hostiles spotted.

Turn 2:

Send my rookies down the ramp, turn around and see 3 Chrysallids and 2 Snakemen spread within 10 spaces of the ramp! :o :o :o Rookies fire off lasers, one Chrysallid goes down.

Alien turn- both rookies get zombified!!! Invisible movement.

Turn 3:

To spare me the pain of recalling that turn, lets just say a sergeant and 3 rookies get shot, remaining Chysallids get shot, zombies get shot, one new Chysallid gets my sergeant.

Turn 4:

A captain, a squaddie, and two rookies go down. Stopping at the very bottom of the ramp to save TUs, they kill all visible aliens. This leaves them in a pack, however, and a grenade comes down from nowhere. Pow! Four more soldiers dead.

Turn 5:

Three squaddies, a captain, and a rookie go down. Spot the snakeman sniper, kill him. Kneel, and provoke reaction fire from another sniper. Misses :beer: !

Turn 6:

A couple of soldiers die, 4 aliens kick the bucket!

Turns 7&8:

Shoot 7 more bugs!

Turn 9:

Assuming there is only one more alien, I become less cautious. Bad idea. Colonal White steps into cover, immediately spots 2 Chysallids and 2 Snakemen!! Oh, $#!+.

Alien turn:

Chrysallids move within 2 squares of White. They turn back :happybanana: ! Snakemen shoot. Both heavy plasmas hit, but White's still standing!!

Turn 10:

Rest of my troopers step up to aid, all but some rookie get killed. rookie primes a grenade, stands up for better range, gets shot. Because the primed grenade drops right by my Colonal, I give White up for lost. For fun, I play it out. the great hero survives the blast!!! White primes his own grenade. Throws it. Right between the four aliens! snakeman shoots him again!

HE LIVES!!! :happybanana: :happybanana:

Grenade explodes. End of mission.

Because I lost 13 of my best soldiers, and a Terror site pops up during the next hour, I reloaded this game. Still was miraculous, though. . . sorry this was so long.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i've almost lost Shifty Powers (i name best soldiers after guys from Band of Brothers). I was attacking Terror Ship full of Floaters and Reapers and Shifty was standing near door after killing one Floater with no TU left. End turn and another Floater comes in, shoots Shifty two times, he drops unconcious. I've managed to kill that bug and Captain Kitana rescued poor Shifty. 35 days in hospital for him, man it was very close...

Ros

Yup... A close call...

And to think the REAL Shifty Powers got through the whole damn WWII without being injured once... Then he was gravely wounded in a truck accident while returning home... He almost did'nt make it, but he was still alive last I heard... Even gave interviews for the Miniseries (and on the DVD).

My worst situation was a raid on a downed UFO, I wanted to stay inside my ship and wait for the aliens, suddenly a cyerdisc stepped to the entrance of the ship and threw an alien grenade inside it... :crying:

2 soldiers survived, one girl, one guy... those two cleaned out the whole map then because I was REALLY angry... no alien hit 'em and when the map was cleaned out the girl was Promoted... she raised two levels, from standard... dunno what she actually is now in ranks :P

• 2 months later...

LokisPaladin

Do cyberdisks throw grenades? :spy:

Oh well, here's my story. It's superhuman terror mission, all I've got is 10 sarges/rookies and a rocket hpw. Tank goes out, spots around 4 baddies (luckily it was floater mission, so no cyberdisks, just dumb reapers).

My guys jump out, shoot baddies. No more spotted, around 6 of my soldiers are outside (the rest are still in).

End turn.

Movement down the alley. Two floaters come out. First autoshot - one of my sarges eats plasma death. Second - my tank is ripped apart. Second floater shoots stun bomb. Another 5 of my guys are out of commission. I'm left with 4.

They won without realoading and even getting hurt. I'm still not certain how I pulled this one off, but it just happened a few hours ago. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday i've almost lost Shifty Powers (i name best soldiers after guys from Band of Brothers)

Heh, nice idea. Tell me, do you have a trooper named Joseph "Joey" Toye? He was my favorite guy in BOB.

My worse situation was a terror site with only 6 soldiers! Only beacause i was too lazy to check my crew on Skyranger-1. The outcome of my last mission was: 1 HWP tank destroyed, 3 troopers dead, 4 wounded and one missing in action (damned Chrysallids) so that pretty much explains why only 6 soldiers.

Allthough most of them were pretty good, only 1 rookie, 4 squaddies, 1 sgt and a captain. Good luck for me, my heavy weapons specialist Gruger was on board too.

So i start of from the Skyranger and the beginning goes pretty well. I kill some snakemen and even a chrysallid.

Suddenly, an alien grenade comes out of nowhere and 2 of my men die (Agent Satoshi and Captain Webb). I gather the remaining 4 troopers to 2 pairs and split up. Group one (i shall call it Primani, as i do in game) would sneak around the building as group two (Secondani) would give them some cover. Primani squad slaughtered a pair of snakemen on the way to the back and Secondani squad took care of a chrysallid.

Next turn i got a little reminder why it's always important to look behind you. It all seemed to go pretty well when suddenly a chrysallid turned the other trooper (Agent McMillis) from Secondani squad into a zombie. Now i see 1 chryssallid and a zombie, right next to Gruger, who only has one rocket left.

:Cry:

He didn't have anything else on him than a electro flare and a rocket launcher. So Gruger started running away, like a sprinter. He ran off around the corner as squad Primani (Sgt. Walker and Agent Diablo, i call my squaddies as agents) rushed back to the front side of the building, to save Gruger.

Alien turn. The chrysallid moves just 2 squares away from Gruger as he makes a run for it again. After that Walker takes a aimed shot at the chryssalid. Hit! But it's still standing there with an ugly grin on it's face. Diabo takes 3 shots at it.. MISS... HIT *chryssalid falls to the ground* and the 3rd shot... HIT! Huh? The last shot hit Gruger! Gruger was standing 5 squares away from the chrysallid.

But Gruger is a tough bastardo, so he lives with 16hp and a fatal wound.

Alien turn. A snakeman with heavy plasma shoots Agent Diablo from the window up ahead. She didn't die though, but she was unconsious. Too bad my medic died earlier (i only have 1 medic on my squad to make things more realistic). Sgt. Walker shot three times at the remaining zombie/chrysallid, it falls to the ground, dead. Gruger aims at the window where the snakeman were seen just a few seconds ago. *BOOM* *death scream*.

Next turn, Gruger takes the medikit from the corpse just nearby and rushes to save Agent Diablo. Meanwhile, Sgt. Walker hunts down the last poor panicked snakeman and gives it a laser care.

End of mission. Even Agent Diablo lived, allthough she had a long rest ahead of her being injured. 3 out of 6 survived and they are still alive! This happened about 20 missions ago. Nowdays Sgt.Walker is Commander Walker, Gruger is Captain Gruger and Agent Diablo was promoted to PsiCorps as a Sargent. I love these 3 troopers :wub:

• 6 months later...

NORAD defense:

75 Rooks, Captain Dipstik, Commander Jacka$$, and Seargent Longshot....75 Heavy lasers I gave them to the rooks, and my cream troops were given stun rods and a bunch of HE packs, and HE grenades

My Rooks were stationed at the choke point, but were mown down by 60 Floaters. Some of those basque turds died from reaction fire, but not much. Longshot found a rocket launcher, inexplicably unavailable in the equip screen, but he picked it up with 3 incindieries(one loaded) and one big rocket. Longshot fired down the corridor, and took out 55 Floaters all at once. Then the three CDs show up, and took out the hiding Rooks (10) that were supposed to be the cross-fire team. Longshot fired both of the flamer rockets, and ducked for cover. Jack, and Dipstick ran up to the rooks, and grabbed lasers, and pelted the CDs position....nothing, no hits whatsoever. Then Jackass was killed by undetonated Grenades and high explosive packs the rooks had, and I armed. Dipstick fatally wounded...not it was all up to Longshot's last rocket....he shoots and kills one *well* I thought *this is it for Norad* Then, one of the dead Floaters' grenades explode, killing the last 2 CDs :)

Chrysalid Evil.

I sent 10 of my men out on a routine terror mission. Snakemen. Piece of piss, they're wusses. 5 men walked out the skyranger, kept on going straight into a house. Roasted me some snake stew. Then the other team went round, roasting a snake in a petrol station, and moving towards a block of flats.

Then we saw a strange alien.

WTF? Never seen one of those before. Shot at it, wounded it, didn't shoot back, that was strange. On his turn, he kept going, slashed at my men, WTF? It's a zombie? 3 of that team were zombied. The remaining two started to gun at them, but a snakeman shot off a stun bomb and knocked out one of them. The other guy crouched over his corpse, picked him up and started to run back to the skyranger. They were being chased, when suddenly some laser roasted through the air from the other squad. Unfortunately, chrysalids then attacked them, 2 guys escaped from that squad, and the remaining 3 men of my squad reformed, back to back, about 20 squares away from the skyranger.

The chrysalids came forward, and this coupled with snakeman sniper fire, caused everyone to panic and run away, dropping what they had in their hands. This included the stunned guy. They panicked on the next turn too, running away from the chrysalids oncoming. When they came to their senses, they had no weapons, except for one guy who had stowed a laser pistol in his belt. He snapped off a few shots at the chrysalids while the others ran back to the skyranger to pick up the spare weaponry (Some old rifles which I had stowed just here for just an emergency.) It was then that I remembered the stunned guy. I couldn't just leave him. I volunteered one of my guys to bravely run around the chrysalids to get him.

Needless to say it didn't work. My covering men were fighting an onslaught of chrysalids to no avail, and my runner was pinned down in a petrol station shed, with threat of searing snake plasma death if he stepped out. All seemed lost.

Suddenly laser rounds roasted from the rear, taking down some of the chrysalids fighting the others, who overcame the remaining chrysalid. The stunned man had come round and rejoined the fray. Together, they hunted down the last snakeman sniper and left in triumph.

• 1 month later...

So I have been uploading other ppl's games off this site, becoz I cant last more than 4 months, but one Base Defence on one uploaded version was pure evil...

...I had just finished my first Avenger in history, when my South Korean base got attack, no problemo, kicked 15 or so Chryssalids that invaded. My Avenger deployed from its Swiss Base and went to Australia to look for bases...bad idea. That PO$ ran out of fuel and had to return to base. Then, I find that my Swiss base was out of Elerium! :devilburn: So I transferred some from Area 51, but while I was waiting, a Battleship started to do the toilet-orbit of my Swiss base...Huh, I thought, thats odd...then I was embroiled in a Base Defence :devilburn: . Again, No problemo, or so I thought....

I had 25 or so Power Suited soldiers and 2 T-shirts to play with, and a bunch of Pistols, and Rifles to boot. With a few Lasers and Heavy Plasmas thrown in for good measure. I had my 5 Rocket Launchers with 2 Rocket HWPs stationed at the 3 choke points for the base...no prob UNTIL I found that my rifles and pistols were all empty! LOL That meant...

NO :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: or :uzi2: :uzi2: :uzi2: :uzi2: :uzi2: :uzi2:

Only 6 :shockwhore: :shockwhore: :shockwhore: :shockwhore: :shockwhore: :shockwhore: :shockwhore:

Needless to say, my boys didnt quite make it due to the fact that the Chryssalids charged my Rocket Launchers and Zombied them, I lost one choke point in a heated battle between 3 of my men, and aboot 12 Snake men, of those 3 there was only 1 with a laser rifle, and the other 2 had cattle prods...the rifle guy died, and the other one next to him picked it up only to die too, then my other prodder jumped into a tiny stair-room. One Snake followed him and got stunned from Reactions ROFL but then, my lift got swarmed too, and my 15 or so troops there got zombified...then I got my 4 other unarmed men out, and gathered weapons from my dead ppl, and retreated back into the 2nd floor, but only 2 were actually together, the other 2 were each separated. the snakemen jumped my guy with a cattle prod, who then dropped an HE pack gathered on 'em, and took out 8 snakes, and then prodded the last one. While my dynamic duo took out 5 Chryssalids, and another 9 Snakes...but saddly the 6th Chryssy took my duo out, and then later on, my Mr Prodder stunned another Chryssy, while my other guy who had been stuck in a workshop with a Laser pistol took out the last Chryssy. Mr Prodder was the unfortunate victim of the last Snake, while Mr LPistol panicked, and died the next turn :crying1: :crying1: :crying1: :crying1: :crying1: :crying1: :crying1: :crying1:

• 4 weeks later...

OK-farm battlescape,I kiilled everething around evereone inside big scout...

than some alien thru grenade BANG!

2 men left!

One killed that alien,but was killed by other one(didn't seen him)

another(last)one geting in control room.

alien throwing grenade(the guy standing next to alien)

BANG!!!

Alien dyed my sokldier unconsuiend

I won!

Battleship, 14 Alloysuits, LasR on superhuman. feeling pretty smug about not taking any loses on outside tactical with everyone slowly making way to centre leg ready to 'bust in and waste em'. Had 14 guys standing crowded around doors on ground level when 1 sectoid opens door, and his boss shoot a blaster bomb down the chute.

14 guys dead, skyranger lost!

NEVER used the tactic again. And this is a memory from 1995, first time i played it.

Edited by esterxxxx

• 2 months later...

Beginner Difficulty. Assault on an Snakeman base in North Africa for a commander I needed. I didn't plan on going to cydonia any time soon--that means the game (And my fun) is over, but still, I figured now was as good a time as any to try.

I sweep through the base with unheard-of ferocity. Killing everyone I find and surrounding the command modual thing. I MC a couple of soldiers on the inside and get them to kill themselves while getting the commander to stun himself by walking into a cattle prod. Silly Snakeman...

After this, I spend about 20 turns looking for that remaining "Last guy" that always hides somewhere in a mission.

All of a sudden, Commander Dover, my best soldier, GETS HIT IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD WITH A BLASTER BOMB AND LIVES.

Not only does he live, but he cattle-prods the damn Engineer who shot him.

Game over, no losses, massive net-gain. :)

84 days of hospital time for Dover. :(

hmmmm gotta be wayyyyy back in the 90's first time trying to play "no-mercy" ( no resets cause of lossess), shot down i think a terror (Sectiods and Cyberdiscs)

well all went to crap with poor weapons and no armor couple that with MC and Cyberdiscs ughhh got down to 3 men fast and still hadnt gotton on the ship...

any ways opening the doors i lose 2 of the 3 down to one last man Armond i think was his name. i'm about to run him back to my ship and abort but i see one alien in the ship...well might as well shoot him first..........and so on and so on Armand went on to kill 3 cyberdiscs on that ship and 3-4 aliens to end that mission

ps all he had was a Lazer rifle and pillaged Alien Gernades when he could reach em

hmmmm gotta be wayyyyy back in the 90's first time trying to play "no-mercy" ( no resets cause of lossess), shot down i think a terror (Sectiods and Cyberdiscs)

well all went to crap with poor weapons and no armor couple that with MC and Cyberdiscs ughhh got down to 3 men fast and still hadnt gotton on the ship...

any ways opening the doors i lose 2 of the 3 down to one last man Armond i think was his name. i'm about to run him back to my ship and abort but i see one alien in the ship...well might as well shoot him first..........and so on and so on Armand went on to kill 3 cyberdiscs on that ship and 3-4 aliens to end that mission

ps all he had was a Lazer rifle and pillaged Alien Gernades when he could reach em

I can take over whole battleship like that!

And the rest of the people too!

• 1 month later...

Worst situation? Do not know, were so many...

But one thing I really hate are sectiods and cyberdiscs in a base assault ( my base ).

Sectoid moves through the lift, my men get reaction fire and the sectoid is dead. Same counts for the next 3-4 ones. Than a cyberdisc moves in, get shoot down and explodes. Sectoid corpses and equipment lost.

Next round:

Sectoid moves through the lift , get shoot down, a few other get shoot, cyberdisc moves in, blowes up, all corpses gone, no alien weapons left.

Next round ...

Same as before...

Next round ...

A few sectoids get killed...

Last round ...

Cyberdiscs moves through the lift, get shoot, explodes...

At the end i got one heavy plasma, one blaster bomb ( no launcher ), no corpse and nothing more !

Hate the cyberdiscs ! LOL

Redbull

• 1 month later...

Okay, a terror site...

It has been a while since this happened, so there are maybe "some little" in accuraties.

There was sectoids and cyberdisks, it was quite in beginning of the game(no armours recerched(or atleast not the best ones))

first turn: one cyberdisk killed 3/8 of my soldiers.

Then the fight goes on 'till there is not that many enemies left, and neither is lot of my soldiers(only about 2-3 left)

I am searching for the enemies left with all my soldiers in one squad.

I move 1 soldiers to alley and 2 soldiers to warehouse next to alley...

With the soldiers in warehouse i see a cyberdisk and 1 sectoid, Too bad that i don't have nearly any TUs left, so I was pretty sure those 2 soldiers will die.

Then i am trying to get my soldier in alley to the warehouse in time to save those 2 other soldiers, but then my soldier sees a sectoid and i shoot at it, The bullets misses, sectoid fires 3 shots, first kills my soldier, second makes hole into warehouses wall, the last bullet hits Cyberdisc inside the warehouse, Cyberdisk goes KABOOM, sectoid inside the warehouse dies in explosion.

And then my 2 remaining soldiers overrunned the remaining sectoid and i win the mission.

...Or something like that...

I have three worse mission scenarios.

In one game I attacked a alien base with full strength, plasma rifle etc yet on turn four I was yet to get the majority of the squad out when a blaster bomb by a floater came in and went in the green transport section.

Needless to say the least it wasn't my intention to have four men remaining. Yet I prevailed due to a over use of grenades and paitently waiting for the floaters to close in before throwing more grenades.

My other two wern't so promising:

There was one mission where I destroyed an alien base but as I was returning a very large UFO appered and went to target my base. I had no men guarding it as there all in my team and was to watch helpselly as the UFO overtook my skyranger and destroyed my base. Game Over shortly followed.

My third worse scenario involved a sectoid terror mission, already on first go there was a cyberdisc in front of the skyranger, as soon as i stepped out I got shot and so did three other people. Normal rifles did little to it, so matter no hard I tried to get everyone out by two turns I lost nearly everyone by one cyberdisc with two sectoids.

There are some things even the save-load technquie cannot stop.

• 2 months later...

Man some of you guys get wasted...... I have played over 100 games and have in those 100+ games I have had a grand total of.... *drum roll* 5 base attacks to me..... that is 5 total......*cries* you guys have sooo much fun...... (I usually play on superhuman too....) I think my worst case scenario was one time I attacked an alien harvester.... everything was going great I wasted all those silly sectoids outside the UFO. Then attacking the second level lose 8 of 14 fly suited troops.... *cries*

BTW I usually (with NO cheating) have fly suits by month 3 by month 6 I have over 500 troopers total. By month 12 I am ready for Cydonia with 24 Ultimate Psi troopers..

Haa Haa I just played a mission (no reloading period.) and nearly lost 2 troopers..... So I have a rookie tromping through the woods... when suddenly Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! (4 shots) hit him dead in the chest! next turn he steps around the tree and kills teh sectoid. He has 22 health and 1 fatal wounds. 15 turns later I am assaulting the UFO (large scout.) I send 2 guys in. One goes left one goes right. the guy on the right goes through the door and spots an alien. so the guy on the left goes through and shoots at the alien. Keerpow! hit!! Keerpow! miss.... Keerpow! Hit!! and the alien truns and BLAAAAMMM!!!! Heavy plasma to the head..... kinda gory.... so then the guy on the right (the survivor of the team.) fires. Keerpow! Hit! Keerpow! Hit! Keerpow! Hit! and alien dies! next turn I step around the slight corner and face the controls. A sectoid apears! Keerpow! Hit! Alien turns and looks uncomprehendingly at me. Next turn. Keerpow! Alien dies. Another sectoid apears! Keerpow! Hit! Alien turns and.... Blaam! Blaam! I am down to 2 Health and 4 fatal wounds. Keerpow! Hit!! Alien dies!! I win with only 1 dead soldier!! (11 aliens dead.)

Edited by Blitzen

I had a really stellar mission the other day. 14 soldiers starting out and it's a UFO recovery. The Ufo in question was a Medium Scout and it had landed in the desert. Thing about deserts is that they can be extremely deceptive in that it can sometimes be very difficult to locate aliens. In anycase, got some soldiers picked off early, but the real kicker happens during the middle of the mission when a Sectoid Steps out from behind the UFO and the edge of the map and shoots of a blaster bomb. The explosion doesn't hit any soldiers directly, but almost all of them were at the edge of the blast radius. Some were sent unconcious, some still standing and I answered the SOB that did it with a Rocket right into his face.

Rest of the mission was spent with people falling to the ground in pain and dying. The Highest ranking officer, a Seargent at the time, and 2 rookies end up being the only ones left to storm the UFO. One last soldier, the guy with the Rocket Launcher is left next to the Skyranger. One soldier bought it, another got wounded during the UFO fighting.

So I walked away with the the Sergeant who became Captain, a wounded rookie and A Squaddie.

Heh... well... I just got done with another improving mission. Built a new base... nothing but rookies... its now May 2000. I had nothing but rookies at this place aka "The Cherry Tree" nothing but nubs and cherries. Talk about bad luck... but hey... SUPER HUMANs live for ever. These guys had nothing. I thought that if you have like 40 plasma rifles laying around you can equip them when your base is being infiltrated! I could of sworn you could. But for some reason its not letting me. :( I had nothing but laser pistols ( 9 of them ) and the rest were rifles ( the so-called 6.7 mm sniper rifle with a laser sight ooooohhh... ). It was ridiculous, but I still pulled through, with only 4 guys out of 32. Yeah it was bad. But my guys are survivors. Those Sectopods just dont want to die when they are suppose to. Luckily I can atleast use the Heavy Plasmas from the dead Etherals I killed. Thats the only reason I managed to get through. Its like a mission where you have to use your resources or something... like lets say you start out on some level with no gun but you have to kill someone to get one like with a Stunrod. It was lame... and my guys had no PSI training at all at this post. The main thing that ate me up was the those "FOOZE BALL bombs" (Blaster Bombs) and PSI attacks.

Just last night I had a real bad time on Superhuman - a failed mission(resulting in the loss of a 14 man squad + weaponry) followed by a Base Invasion.....with a single soldier and HWP to defend. I had plenty of weaponry to choose from, and went with a Laser Rifle, 2 High Explosives, and a crapload of grenades :P The HWP was Rocket Launcher. To make a long story short, I was able to bottle them up in the access lift/hanger section of my base(I place three hangers on the top of the screen with the access lift right below the middle hanger, forcing the aliens to enter from a single direction).

Anyway, I was able to bottle them up in the middle hanger/accesslift area with concentrated fire. However, I forgot aobut the Blaster Launchers.....needless to say, Area 51 fell to an alien assault....followed by earth.......oh well, note to self for next time.

• 2 months later...
Recovery of an Ethereal battleship :Cry:. Now take into account, I'm still a wee newbie playing on beginner. I started the mission by sweeping the surrounding area (blew up the barns with blaster bombs because of an unusual surplus). I kept a few guys around the center lift and one at the busted engine room just in case any of the Ethereals wanted to test me. So anyways, I killed about 2-3 Ethereals hiding on the landscape and converge on the main lift of the battleship. First step onto the grav lift I spot 2 guys on the third floor, so I plug em with HP rounds, no problem. Move another guy onto the grav lift (my main man Brett Davies, a Captain with sexy TUs), and spot another on the second floor. After moving 2 more outside the lift, I end my turn. Nothing much happens, I bring a bunch of soldiers (6-7 or so) to the lift, and start looking around the second floor hallway. All seems well, I end the turn. Whoops. Two of my soldiers get panicked and beserk, each killing a soldier. The victims were squaddies, so I wasn't too perturbed. Until a blaster bomb came to the lift and blew the living gee wiz out of my squad (including a Captain or two and some Sergeants). Hoping to recoup my losses, I make a break for my ship. The Ethereals would have none of that, and mind controlled a soldier, who then turned around and killed two more troops. Needless to say, I gave up on that mission, and now I've resorted to save-cheating (always saving at the beginning of battlescape :(). Hopefully I'll get over it soon enough and can play a true game through.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I have to tell this one that just happened to me at a Snakeman terror site.

I had finally gotten Personal armor and only had laser rifles (didnt have Heavy Lasers, had XComUtil's research going on). Of course I also had a rocket launcher, 2 autocannons and a heavy cannon or 2.

First quarter of the battle or so goes rather normal, lost some rookies and my tank, but managed to secure the Skyranger. I notice lots and lots of zombies and Chrysallids around. Wonderful....

I keep hitting them with my autocannons and heavy cannons HE rounds, but they dont seem to do the trick. I seemed to have better luck with the laser rifles (EDIT: I wasn't using the super XComUtil lasers either).

I get down to about 5 guys, 2 covering my flank, 2 at the foreward landing gear of the skyranger, and the last guy had 5 rockets and used his laser pistol to get him ontop of a roof.

Unfortunately infront of the skyranger was an entire street running perpindicular and some free areas around the craft. This made crossing the street a nightmare.

One of the last few snakement that was popping out of a warehouse and shooting accross the street managed to trigger my Heavy Cannon guy to fire... and hit the gear in front of him, killing the buddy next to him and severely hurting him.

I start using rockets liberally to take out crysallids/zombies crossing the street, but I run out of course.

I hadn't seen any snakemen for quite some time so I figured they were dead and I just had the chrysallids to worry about. My rocket man tries to take some out with the pistol but never seems to and I have to rely on the guys on the ground.

Later I lost the 2 guys covering my flank (which had pushed on to the street thankfully) to some chrysallids. Before that I had managed to spot one last snakeman in a house at the very corner opposite of the skyranger.

I got my rocket man down from the roof and had him go and pick up a rifle and 'nades from a dead body, using the self-injured guy on the ground to fend any chrysallids (they seem to run away if shot at). Well it kinda works but before I know it one zombifies the injured soldier, so I took out the crysallid (i learned to ignore zombies if possible, they can only melee you).

The zombie runs up to my last soldier, but doesnt attack I think. Either way he's one square away from me so I autofire on the laser rifle. Survives the first auto, I go auto again, chrysallid comes out between shots, but still lives. I go auto again thinking this has to get him.

Chrysallid lives and I have like 20 TUs (I might have done one less autoshot I can't remember). Anyways I can't do anything with the laser rifle, or maybe it was just a snap left so I figure well this guy is dead. Out of desperation I have him grab a laser pistol to autoshoot him. I'm 1 TU short of autofire. I'm like oh what the heck, lets snap him with the pistol, it wont kill him.

Chrysallid dies. OMFG

I took a turn to get the rifle back out and to even catch my own breath. I couldn't believe it happened.

Turns out I had killed the other chrysallids and only that snakeman was around. Fortunately he had panicked (and later berserked LOL ). I finished him off and won the mission.

Lost my tank, 9 of 10 of my guys, saved 3 civvies, lost some rifles and equipment (lots of explosions) not to mention the Personal armour, killed 11 snakemen, and 15 chryssalids (got that from the XcomUtil logs).

I couldnt believe I won, let alone saved some civvies in that mess. Worst part was this was my main team, and had like 1 soldier in reserve. (I quickly sent guys from my second team and hired lots of soldiers)

Well thats my worst situation that I managed to win.

Edited by Pi Masta