XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Battlescape Sfx Requirements

LfO

I've poked around, and I can't find any details on how this is going to be implemented, so I have a proposal (I think this is the type of thing that should eventually end up on Battlescape Features Description in the Wiki).

During the player's turn:

All SFX played, as well as their location and volume, will be based on the currently selected soldier.

Sounds that are the result of a soldier's actions (firing a weapon, opening a door, walking) will always be played at full volume.

Environmental sounds (televisions, Xenium reactors, etc.) will not be played if the sound source is further than some minimum distance from the soldier. As the soldier approaches the sound source, the volume will increase. As the soldier moves further away from the sound source, the volume will decrease.

During the opponent's turn:

Sounds that result from a visible alien's actions will be played at full volume (as from the perspective of the alien).

Environmental sounds sounds will not be played.

Of course, this not formally worded, but does this sound like a solid concept?

Edited by LfO

I would call your enviromental as object specific sources.. environmental will always sound no matter where you are... think of them as birds, wind and that stuff (very low volume, random mixed samples).

Greetings

Red Knight

Is there an established way to distinguish between objects that only make sounds when activated/used (like doors) and those that always make sound when you're near them (like a Xenium reactor)

Nope, we have to define that too... But basicly, we have 3 classes of sounds..

Activated Sounds: Doors, Gun shots, steps, etc. (Positional).

Camera/Actor Activated Sounds: Xenium Reactor (when camera zooms or selected character gets near;) ), Breathing (when selected), Rivers, etc... (Non Positional - Stereo/Mono)

Environmental Sounds: Birds, Winds, etc. (Non Positional - Stereo)

Greetings

Red Knight

So, how about this for names/definitions:

Sounds that do not have an on-screen source:

Environmental Sounds - birds, wind

Sounds that have an on-screen source (and are therefore positional):

Sounds that are triggered by events.

Activated Sounds
- gunshots, doors

Sounds that are made by an object as long as it is present.

Persistent Sounds
- Xenium reactor, television

Definition: Positional - their volume will depend on the relative distance of their source object from the camera and/or active character.