XCOMUFO & Xenocide

XCOMHACK v3 beta 4

hatfarm

So, I've finished the 4th beta for version 3.0. It introduces diplomacy editing and expands greatly on what used to be able to be edited. I removed the ability to edit the "funding change" because it was really just a way for the programmers to only have to do math once. If anyone really feels it should be there, I'll add it back in, but I just thought it was a kind of deceiving thing to edit because it doesn't affect future payments at all. To get funding back from a country that stopped funding, set their happiness rating to greater than 0, and then adjust their last month's payment to greater than 0 as well. I haven't tested this in all scenarios, so this may not work for all situations, but it seems to in my testing. I also added a couple of features to the base editor, clearing a base with the click of a button and finishing all construction with the push of a button. These should make some common things people want to do easier. I also redid the base editor a bit and removed a lot wasted memory being used by it, so you may notice that the saved games load just a little bit quicker now as well.

The next beta will be the last because it will add in the last of the things that were able to be done in version 2.5. It will be unitref.dat editing. Since so much more is known now, I'm going to really expand on the editing of this file (beyond just killing/stunning all aliens). This may take a while, but I think it will be a very nice addition come final product. After that, I'll try to add in things like copying a base layout and pasting it into another base.

Please let me know here if there are any problems that you encounter with this build as I would like to have everything fixed before the final beta. Thanks ahead of time!

XCH3b4.rar

Edited by hatfarm

Hmm...the installer you provided won't do anything without the installer for beta 3, and then it will only install beta 3. I checked to see if there was any difference, but the diplomacy editor still was inoperable and everything else seemed the same. I wonder what happened?

Fixed...

Can't believe I missed that file. Oops. That should work. Sorry about that.

So, I'm glad this is a beta version because there is a pretty big bug when loading non-existent soldiers. If you load one, it may cause the program to crash. I figured out the problem and it will be fixed in the new version, I was just being lazy before I guess.

Hi hatfarm, I finally managed to register here! Shall I copy/post all my suggestions from the strategycore forum here as well or is it enough to leave them there? :)

Anyway: The editor can't find my Dos Xcom (v1.4) exe, so I can not test anything atm :(

Edited by Civilian

The dos executable is in the UFOEXE folder in your xcom directory. Just point it to geoscape.exe, or you can point it to tactical.exe in the UFO2EXE directory. That should work fine.

Also, don't worry, I'll just go to strategycore for suggestions too. Thanks.

Edited by hatfarm

Strange, now it works. :)

Ok, found no bugs, everything seems to work fine. However I have 4 minor suggestions:

1. Could the 2 PSI skills be hidden in a separate tab? Maybe you could even mark the tab with the text "SPOILER" or something...

2. A repeat of a suggestion I made some days ago: Would it be possible to add a "Complete current research" function?

3. Why an installer? Every other editor for Xcom I know of works by simply copying it into the game directory.

4. What are the UNDEFINED and EMPTY things one can add to the Craft/Base inventory? Better disable them before someone messes the save-game up with those :)

That's all. A very stable and solid piece of software, good work =b

Edited by Civilian

I guess the installer makes sure you have the required .net libraries, though I'd also like a simple archive as an alternative :) (also is it possible the installer creates an icon regardless of my choice? I was pretty sure I disabled the option)

The undefined and empty items are not used by the game anymore, TftD recycled them into the new drill weapons. I'd like the editor to keep that functionality. NKF posted some experiences with editing those items somewhere...

edit: here we go

Edited by j'ordos

The undefined and empty items are not used by the game anymore, TftD recycled them into the new drill weapons. I'd like the editor to keep that functionality. NKF posted some experiences with editing those items somewhere...

edit: here we go

Yeah, I want to keep those things in there because I want to make it easier for a person who's using a modded game to be able to mod their stuff as well. I will eventually have the ability to use text and images from the actual game you have installed itself so if you have mods, they'll show up in the editor no problem. Putting those things in your craft and in your base don't actually cause a problem, they just don't show up. Finishing what is being worked on is a really good idea, and I will try to get that functionality in there before I release the full version, but it'll take a bit of work so I may push it off to the next iteration if it takes too long.

The psi stuff isn't going to be put behind a tab because I don't think anyone who's not played the game will do editing first. Also, if you're using an editor to beat the game quicker, you're not going to get the full game anyway, and won't care about a spoiler. If everyone disagrees then I can totally do that, but my thinking is that anyone using this program is going to not really care about a spoiler for their own reason.

As to why there's an installer, I mostly just wanted to know if I could create one and I thought it would be easier if there was just an automated process, but maybe that was wrong. I wanted to get the idea across that you don't have to have it installed in your x-com directory because you can locate an x-com game anywhere on your computer. Classes start tomorrow for me, so I'm desperately trying to get out as many bugs as I can and finish the unitref.dat stuff and then do a real release of version 3.0. Please do let me know if there are any bugs you find.