XCOMUFO & Xenocide

XCOMHACK v3 beta 5

hatfarm

So, here is the final beta before the release. This version includes some bug fixes in both the soldier editing as well as the base editing. The major addition to this edition is the ability to edit the unitref.dat file. You may remember version 2.5 bugging you about this file, 3.0 is much more quiet when that file doesn't exist. You of course get the ability to kill all the aliens as well as stunning them. However, you can also edit just about everything that is available to edit in unitref.dat, with some exceptions that may or may not get added into the next version.

There is also the ability to copy stats from the soldier.dat file into the unitref.dat file so if you're making changes in the soldier.dat file, you can have those changes translate into the current battle. Right now, they only copy into either the "base" values or the only value available for that stat (there are also "current" values for some stats). This may be changed but I thought that was the right place to put the stats for now. Please let me know what you think on this.

Finally, there are couple of other functions added in that many I'm sure will find helpful. First of which is the ability to copy a base layout and paste it into another base. This can be done across different games as well, so if you have a base layout that you prefer in another game, and want to put it into your new game, that is a pretty quick process now. The other new function is the ability to make the whole map visible to your squad. This doesn't automatically make all aliens visible, but it allows you to see the lay of the land so that you can know where potential sniper spots are and where the aliens may have landed/crashed.

Hope you all like it, please let me know any thoughts on any of these new functions as well as if you encounter any bugs. With the release I'm mostly going to be trying to optimize a lot of the things that I just brute forced (read: did in a very deliberate but slow way). I can think of a few that need to be worked on, but since they actually work, I'm not going to fix until the release. Thanks!

XCH3b5.rar

Thanks Civ! I've tried to make it as user friendly and yet as robust as possible, those are kind of 2 sides of the same coin. Hopefully, I've done an okay job with it. I will fit your request for the finishing of current research into the release of 3.0, but that may be some time in the somewhat distant future. I've just begun the spring semester and I'm taking 17 hours and working. So, time for this is pretty limited. It will get worked on though, don't worry about that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that one of the classes I'm taking this semester is going to be assembly language. This class may just come in handy when I go to editing the executable. Of course, it's mostly geared towards controlling a microprocessor with it, still cool stuff.

Edited by hatfarm

• 2 weeks later...
So, I forgot a couple things, one which I wanted to add to the current edition and one thing I forgot to add back into this. I wanted to add in the ability to "autobuild" a hangar, when you select a corner of the hangar to build in your base. So, I'll be adding that in, then I will also be adding in the ability to "undo" again, I can't believe I forgot to get that in there. That'll take some work to get it to work right (and not be obnoxious) but I'm thinking it shouldn't take TOO long.

The first release candidate is almost ready. Just finishing up some bugs I'm encountering with undos. The new version should be much lighter memory wise as well, because I'm forcing garbage collection more often and that should help a TON for resources. I've also optimized a few functions from their previous versions. Once I work out the kinks, I'll get the next version up. I really don't know how long it'll be before then though, probably a week or two because of school and work. Please let me know of any features you'd like to see before then. Thanks.

So, I've almost got the undo completely finished and working the way I want. It's been nice to work on because it's forced me to go back and really work out some things that were not working as efficiently as I'd like them to have been. I have found some bugs too, they're minor but have been taken care of, which is always nice. I've made a lot more things more efficient, there was a lot of work that was going on in the background that didn't need to be happening. There's still more stuff I'm sure I could do, but it's not as big of a deal as the other stuff, so I'll probably post up the release candidate when I'm done with the undo feature. Which should be somewhat soon, but not sure exactly how soon, just because school has been so insane. This beta's gotten a lot more downloads than the others, hopefully everyone is getting some good usage out of it. Please do remember to let me know if anything doesn't work quite right, or if you think it could be laid out better, or if you think something is just worded wrong. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

EDIT: Wow, I can tell I wrote this when I was super tired.

Edited by hatfarm