XCOMUFO & Xenocide

An update on me

hatfarm

Alright, so I'm about a month and a half away from graduating. One of the things I'm planning on doing immediately upon graduation is picking up work on X-Com Hack. I'm thinking I'm going to move to using C++ though, because I can make a version available for Linux and Mac users. However, I think this'll make it easier to get rid of a lot of the bugs that are plaguing people. I'll also be able to make it much more efficient. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know.

Yeah, Wine gets the job done, but if you have the DOS version of the game (which is the version that Steam gives you), you can copy the files into linux and use DOSBox to run the actual game. I'd rather make it so that people don't have to use Wine which is so incredibly slow (in my experience). I can make it native to Linux and let people avoid that. Of course, with DOSBox you could always use XCUTIL, but I'm making X-Com Hack for people who want a GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

wine -> slow? .... hmmm

you should recompile it from source!

and you will see what speed is :P

general recommendations:

enable flags

-O2 ( default is O which does only basic optimizations, try O3, but the gain could be insignificant )

--omit-frame-pointer ( faster, at the cost of debug )

--march-i686 ( or better )

--fast-math ( speed, at the cost of tiny rounding errors )

--enable-expensive-optimizations ( speed gain, at the cost of the size of the resulting binary )

disable flags:

-g ( big debug slowdown, used by default if you use binary package for many distros )

-ggdb ( next big debug slowdown )

--march-i386 ( one more big slowdown, default for most distros, forces your cpu to 386 compatibility mode switching )

man gcc :D for more details

yarrow

ps.

that is why I use PLD or Gentoo distros

speed gain at the cost of windows :) or install time

Edited by yarrow