XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Whats Your Guys Stats On Psi?

Whats a good stat on PSI Strength/Skill... I never knew about this and Im still not for sure about which one cant be improved. Is it the PSI Strength that cant be improved or can it? That game I was telling you guys about, that I think is bugged with the infiltraion and what not. Yeah I think it is. I get hit with infiltration like every other 2 - 3 days which is weird, Im already on 130 UFOs in Sep. 1999. I now got my PSI labs up with guys that can use the AMPs now. I use to think their stats didnt improve till at the end of the month but I named the strongest guys that I thought anyways were good with PSI, I used it as their names. One infilitraion I kept a few Mutons around and just sat there Panic attacking them non-stop. Yeah and no doubt... 30 minutes later I finally got a mind control out of one of them. Killed off the Mutons and checked the stats after the mission was over. Some of the guys stats went up, Im going to assume its the ones that were effective. I always thought it was at the end of the month for that to happen but I guess not.

What is a good PSI Strength/Skill to keep guys at 60/50? And Skill can be improved but not strength or both can?

What are the Etherals PSI stats usually at? I think I remember seeing it something like 70/20 one time I wasnt for sure.

Psionic Strength never increases, it's the only stat that can't. Skill improves both with use and training in lab. As far as how good is "good"... I'd say 60+ Psi Strength. Around 80ish you can pretty much instantly mind control without having weakened most "soldier" type enemies. When you recruit new soldiers, ones with high Bravery usually have high Psi Strength; but not always. They usually also have crap shooting, heh.

I agree with Pscyon on most points. 60 for Psi Strength is a bare minimum (at least for your initial group of recruits). When you get into a Psi screening situation, I'd opt for nothing lower than 85 or so. Once those soldiers are psi-trained to the 55-60 level of skill, then they are almost impossible to stop.

Even failed psi attacks give your soldier experience, it just takes a few more tries to max out the random multiplier. Once you get your initial psi training in the lab, you can basically train that stat by using psi on a lot of missions. Keeping soldiers in training adds a few points at the end of the month, but it's nowhere near the points you would get by training on missions. :)

Psi stats for the aliens differ by the skill level you are playing at so it's hard to quantify the exact numbers you will see. For that, take a look at my Alien Stats page over at StrategyCore. ;)

- Zombie

Bravery and psi strength for new soldiers are rolled separately, so you cannot truly judge a soldier's psi strength until you've completed the first month of training or you've seen the soldier panic or get mind controlled. Bravery does minimise the amount of morale lost during a panic attack though.

The way you earn psi skill through combat is actually a lot simpler than trying to earn firing accuracy or reactions. You can earn skill even through failure. See, each failure counts as a one action, while a success counts as three actions on the soldier's in-battle psi action counter.

The amount of increase that you'll get to your psi skill will be a random number with a range that goes from 0 to a number that is based on the amount of actions you take during the battle. To get the best possible range, you'll need at least 12 actions. That is, twelve failures or four successes with the psi amp.

In addition to psi skill, you also get a chance to earn secondary stat bonuses too! Health, stamina, TUs and Strength. All these stats are affected by firing and hitting an enemy, reacting, using a melee attack or resisting panic while morale is less than 50%. Psi is obviously the easiest way to tank a brand new rookie up by repeatedly sending them into an alien base, mind controlling a few bad guys and then dusting off. Won't help firing accuracy, reactions or bravery, but will give you a good head start.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Are you guys sure PSI Strength cant be improved? Im still looking into this... Im not cheating either on this game if you want to check it out. But its bugged badly with this non-stop MUTON infiltration at one of my bases (PSI base which I use for PSI training now). All my guys PSI strength from my first group were all in the 60s and 70s for PSI Strength. Couple months rolled by and after I got their skill up to 70 I moved them to a different base which is going to be my base with all the bad a**es at it that will deploy to Cydonia. Anyways, I noticed something very... very weird after each month, I keep checking their stats cus they arent in the PSI school lab anymore but... their PSI Strength went up and they have not been on any missions ever since I moved them to this base... what the f***. My guys PSI strength went up!!! I thought it couldnt be improved either but it did. They went from 60s/70s to 80s/90s in PSI Strength.

So PSI strength can be improved. Its at the end of each month (might take a couple months too). Not from each misson they go on? I think I dont know... Im still looking into this.

Edited by Commander Nicolai

Strength can't increase - skill can increase up to 100 through lab training and actual use. It can then go beyond 100 through the labs.

---

Commander Nicolai: About your non-stop muton base attack, try this: Let the mutons destroy the base. That should stop the non-stop stream. Before you do that, move everything out until there are no more soldiers, equipment or ships at the base. Don't worry about demolishing the buildings - you won't get anything back either way or lose anything. Let the mutons in and let them destroy the base.

Once it's gone, start rebuilding the base. Since the non-stop mutons were the result of a bug, you may as well accelerate the process of rebuilding the base by using this handy file:

facil_dat.zip

Rename the facil.dat file in your savegame folder to something else, and replace it with a copy in the above zip file. Then load up your game. This file will let you build new buildings for nothing, and they will only take 1 day to build each. You can rebuild your base in no time. Once it's back up and running, delete the facil.dat file and rename your original file back to that and everything should be fine again.

At least, I hope it will be. ;)

- NKF