XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - XC-11 Condor Transport

Deimos

I think that though the feel of the game is more realistic we shouldn't get bogged down in real world physics especially for designing in game stuff. At the end of the day the game is more about having fun than being aerodynamically correct.

I was discussing aerodynamics with Breunor over the Avenger design I posted and the conclusion we came to was that as long as it looks like its fast, we can ignore 'physics'. After all the only time we'll see any of the craft in flight is going to be either in cut scenes or in Xnet.

I for one think the 'A10 warthog' look is very appealing for the base tech skyranger that Drewid is skinning up. It looks like it'd withstand being shot down and crash landing with nothing more than bent landing gear. That rugged look is a good one to show indirectly how 'hard as nails' us humans are.

Take for example the Hummer, the A10 and Mig 29 as examples. The hummer looks like it could be driven off a cliff, hit the floor and drive off without scratching the paintwork. Same goes for the A10 it has that 'mess with me and I'll rain down a skyfull of white hot nail ridden horseshit (thanks to Tom Holt for the quote) on you' look about it.

The angry shoulders up engines out look of the skyranger Drewid's skinning has the same 'I'm so tough I eat razorblades for breakfast and enjoy it' look about it that works well to show the tenacity of the human spirit against the overwhelming odds of alien occupation.

I agree on the coolness over realism aspect, after all we fly the avenger, based on make-believe tech to Mars. Should we worry about whether the interceptor could achieve the top speeds the X-Net claims? If the design flies at all, that's good enough for me. Edited by Breunor

Guest drewid
we can do both, and make the plane a couple of dergrees cooler in the process.. and If I could find the damn thread again i could grab the plans and do some sketches to demonstrate. :hammer:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drewid

Here ya go. A basic all over texture done. still got to do various hull details and decals.

I'll do the inside next I think. It would be nice to see the ramp down in the pedia

so far I'm on my second 256 texture.

post-29-1054816486_thumb.jpg

I like the way the camo looks kind of european but at the same time has a unique patterning to it.

Are we going to use the skin as the camo for all base level tech stuff? I think it'd look good on the bigger stuff like HWP's. Maybe a similar affair for the T-shirt armour or maybe just keep that in the olive green or maybe lighter, I don't know. But definitely use it for the personal armour. Yeah, yeah I know the personal armour uses alien alloys and it's not able to be painted on but I'm sure I mentioned the fluff text in the armour thread that to reflect the lower stats its a kevlar/boron alien alloy weave to ensure that its flexible and light. So it would be paintable. :)

Guest drewid

This is the last post on this one for a while. I'm going to be starting on base facilities as a higher priority. I reckon its about 80% there.

Polycount is 2100. (lots in the engines and landing gear. so those will be the first uinder the knife for the in-game version). Still 2 x 256 texture maps. I guess that will go up to 3 when I do decals n stuff.

post-29-1055249738_thumb.jpg

It looks great, I'll update those shots in the assetlist. So what's wrong with 2100 polys in the battlescape? It's a major item, and things like building can be double that depending on size. I don't think you'd have to chop off much if any.

looks quite nice Drewid... I think that I'm going to leave the textures of to you guys; there is no way I can top that inside.

• 2 years later...

Monkeyboy and I have been working in an updated 'Condor' model. The exterior is mocked up, and Monkeyboy is starting on the interior as we speak.

I am quite proud of this collabourative effort.

With these 'glamour shots', I'm uploading a .zip of the latest version of the model at the time of this writing. It's composed of 1 half of an aircraft and 1 engine, both mirrored across the origin with instance clones. If you don't see those objects in there, something's gone wrong ;)

If at all possible, I would like to meet before any decision is made to post these shots on the website. There are small flaws in this current version that may affect its usefulness as a PR piece to people who know how to model.

omgplanefront.jpg

omgplaneleft.jpg

omgplanetop.jpg

omgplanebadass.jpg

omfgplane.jpg

skyranger17.zip

In the original condor, at the base of it's wings, there is a small triangular exhaust port. Would that look good on the updated model? I like how it looks, a bit on the 'slim' side, if you know what I mean. The design works, but IMO, needs to be a bit bulkier arround the wing area. The current wing settup is way too fragile, my oppinion of course. Edited by mikker

I don't think it would serve much of a purpose there and in terms of the workability it would really kill the wing shape.

Though making the wing root a bit thicker could make the wing appear a bit more substantial. Overall it will be a faily minimal difference.

The original model was the reason I joined Xenocide.... and not in a good way.

What, pray-tell, would such triangular exhausts be for?

When I get the model back, I'll see what the push modifier does for the fuselage and/or wings, but I'm pretty happy with the way it's looking to be honest. The plane has to be sleek if it's going to fly at transonic speeds, which is about the speed that the Skyranger flew. In order to keep the time-to-LZ the same, the aircraft must fly at around the same speeds. It's something I wanted to convey in the design.

okay :)

I was more worried about the wing falling off from such basic things like gravity or wind resistance. But that's the little I know about aerodynamics :P

As long as it works :)

Well, we'll see what happens when I push it. Jet engines aren't very heavy, and all the fuel is in the hump at the centre. I think the osprey's wings are also quite thin, but I'm not opposed to thckening them to see what happens. I don't have the model right now so maybe later.

• 3 months later...

Aaaaaand DONE!

It's within 10% of the poly limit (4380 tris). I included an extra object- an example of how the front wheels should retact. The rear wheels should just lft straight into the fuselage a la the C-130 (the rear wheels of the C-130 are on a screw-and-piston. The screw winds the gear up vertically without any change in angle on any plane).

Additions for the person who is skinning it should include:

doors for the flight crew on the side of the cockpit. The flight crew can't get in through the rear door because the front gear bay is in the way... also, a side door for the cargo chief would be good, one way out of an airplane is bad.

I set up the pivots for the *individual* engines to be *exactly* where they should be. Selecting both engines at once will *not* pivot from the correct place. Bear this in mind.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. I'll get the model to Vaaish. I'll stick around here for a bit to answer questions, make clearifications... and if you're really nice to me, I might find the source material that I used to model landing gear and such (they are animated diagrams ;) Peace Out.

skyranger_front.jpg

rear.jpg

leftside.jpg

landinggear.jpg

cargohold.jpg

Edited by fux0r666

Ok, I know you don't like us saying unuseful stupid things, but I just have to say this now: This is real good work fux! Congrats!

Yes, but now my reign of terror is over! You no longer have to live in fear of me clubbing you and eating your bones.

Yes, but now my reign of terror is over!  You no longer have to live in fear of me clubbing you and eating your bones.

:D Who knows, maybe you'll come back some day! I wonder if I will be able to sleep again without these nightmares... :P

Btw, I think bones might be a little... crispy. Stick to my flesh if you have to eat me... ^_^

edit: typo

Edited by Mad

• 8 months later...
I just sent the 3ds to Vaaish a day or two ago. I'd imagine he'll upload it soon, probably when he textures it, if not before.

yeah I have the model from Fux, and it's in my to do list. I'm gonna try to hit the assault rifle tomorrow and work on the XC11 next week.