XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xna Stage 0.4

dteviot

Progress:

• stubbed in BattlescapeScreen.

Notes.

• Currently, the battlescape screen does nothing (except if you hit abort, it takes you to the BattlescapeReportScreen.)
  • Don't press the "Debug Battlescape" button on the StartScreen. It's there for when I start adding the scene to the battlescape. Hopefully tomorrow.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Progress:

• updated item.xml and combatant.xml with the terrorist combatant weapons
  • Added Darkhomb's updated inventory sprites for Equip solider screen
  • Tweaked race selection for UFO crew to grey & satyrian = 35%, viper = 20%, cloak and morlock = 5%

Notes.

• I'm a retard, the carrier element is used to indicate the items a combatant is loaded with. (And has now been removed.)
  • Zombie, thanks for the numbers you gave me for the terrorist weapons.
  • Zombie, if you can find time at some stage to go over item.xml and combatant.xml, and check my work, it would be appreciated.
  • Also, I haven't added equipment elements to all combatants. I thought I'd wait for feedback from Zombie.
  • I've figured out how to handle X-Caps (at least conceptually). The entry in item.xml is the X-Cap weapon. (Although it also includes the cost/size of chassis.) When I get to battlescape,
    I look up the chassis type, create the Tracked or Grav X-Cap, and equip it with the X-Cap weapon. Hopefully that's clear.

I just redid the inventory sprites about 10 minutes ago, as there were some left over lines

Just checked, you have the older one, can you replace with the new one?

Also if were updating inventory, Maybe we should update Facilities. Only 3 but makes it look better.

InventorySprites.png

FacilityNames2.PNG

Edited by Darkhomb

I just redid the inventory sprites about 10 minutes ago, as there were some left over lines

Also if were updating inventory, Maybe we should update Facilities. Only 3 but makes it look better.

IIRC, you've got write access to the XNA SVN repository, so feel free to add the updated texture files.

Also, I've just uploaded your new EquipSoldierScreen, and recalculated the screen co-ordinates so everything aligns.

IIRC, you've got write access to the XNA SVN repository, so feel free to add the updated texture files.

Also, I've just uploaded your new EquipSoldierScreen, and recalculated the screen co-ordinates so everything aligns.

Was never told I did. Don't know a user/pass if I did get one, tried the one on forum, does not work.

I will add text and move the buttons to line up tomorrow.

For people to see, this is what the new screen looks like.

Thanks for your continuing hard work everyone.

Edit - Bug? when I hit the close button in the equip screen, Screen goes blank, its just all bright blue.

equip.jpg

Edited by Darkhomb

Was never told I did. Don't know a user/pass if I did get one, tried the one on forum, does not work.

I will add text and move the buttons to line up tomorrow.

Oh well, post a patch to the usual place, and I'll take care of it

Edit - Bug? when I hit the close button in the equip screen, Screen goes blank, its just all bright blue.

I'll look into it tomorrow

Progress:

• Merged the terrain mesh code from the fishbowl into the battlescape, so it now draws a very simple terrain on the battlescape.

Notes.

• At some stage soon, we will want a texture atlas for texturing the battlescape's terrain tiles. See http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xn...lFaceTexture.cs for list of textures.
  • Note that textures need to be 2.5 times taller than they are wide.
  • A number of the Terrain classes need IDisposable implemented.
  • Need to build a better "sample terrain map" If anyone wants to work on tools to do it, that would be great.

Progress:

Forgive me, I looked at the files here, but nothing seems to be different. Did you upload the changes to the trunk? I don't see the terrorist weapons anywhere in either item or combatants.xml.

Notes.
  • I'm a retard, the carrier element is used to indicate the items a combatant is loaded with. (And has now been removed.)
  • Zombie, thanks for the numbers you gave me for the terrorist weapons.
  • Zombie, if you can find time at some stage to go over item.xml and combatant.xml, and check my work, it would be appreciated.
  • Also, I haven't added equipment elements to all combatants. I thought I'd wait for feedback from Zombie.
  • I've figured out how to handle X-Caps (at least conceptually). The entry in item.xml is the X-Cap weapon. (Although it also includes the cost/size of chassis.) When I get to battlescape,
    I look up the chassis type, create the Tracked or Grav X-Cap, and equip it with the X-Cap weapon. Hopefully that's clear.

Here again, I looked the two files over, but they look unchanged. :(

- Zombie

Guest Azrael Strife
[*]I've figured out how to handle X-Caps (at least conceptually). The entry in item.xml is the X-Cap weapon. (Although it also includes the cost/size of chassis.) When I get to battlescape,

Wouldn't this allow the player to salvage the XCAP weapons should the XCAP itself be destroyed?

I'm not able to duplicate the problem (Screen goes blue when click the "close" button on the equip soldier screen.) With build 0.3.1780.0

Some more information that might help:

• Which build are you using?
  • Have you modified anything from the standard build?
  • When did you first see the bug?
  • What steps do you do to replicate the bug?
  • Getting desperate, what?s your graphic card?

Progress:

Forgive me, I looked at the files here, but nothing seems to be different. Did you upload the changes to the trunk? I don't see the terrorist weapons anywhere in either item or combatants.xml.

That would be because they've been uploaded to the XNA branch:

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xn.../Content/Schema

[*]I've figured out how to handle X-Caps (at least conceptually). The entry in item.xml is the X-Cap weapon. (Although it also includes the cost/size of chassis.) When I get to battlescape,

Wouldn't this allow the player to salvage the XCAP weapons should the XCAP itself be destroyed?

No. X-Cap and terrorist units have the "fixed" carrier, so will never drop anything when they die.

Edited by dteviot

I'm not able to duplicate the problem (Screen goes blue when click the "close" button on the equip soldier screen.) With build 0.3.1780.0

Latest build

Nothing modified except inventory sprite and patch i posted however it did this before as well.

I open equip soldier screen, then click close button, screen is just blue like nothing updated. No mouse no side menu either. Music still plays.

GeForce 8800 GTS 640

Latest build

Nothing modified except inventory sprite and patch i posted however it did this before as well.

I open equip soldier screen, then click close button, screen is just blue like nothing updated. No mouse no side menu either. Music still plays.

GeForce 8800 GTS 640

Hmm. I don't know what the problem is, is anyone else seeing this?

Also progress:

Progress:

• implemented IDisposable for Graphics Objects
  • On Battlescape, can now select topmost level of terrain to draw
  • Added pitch and yaw controls to battlescape camera

Notes.

• The battlescape terrain is a very simple two level terain, basically, a ground floor, with steps leading to the second floor. And a single wall
  • You can click on the "Top Level" button to control the topmost terrain level to show.
  • You can move the camera. Keys are:
    • "pageup/pagedown" moves camera vertically.
    • left and right arrows move camera left and right.
    • up and down arrows move forwards and back.
    • W and X tilt camera up and down
    • A and D spin camera left and right.

To be honest, the UI is most suckful. I think next thing I'm going to try and do is a "right click" to drag the battlescape. However other suggestions for UI controls appreciated.

Guest Azrael Strife

Latest build

GeForce 8800 GTS 640

Hmm. I don't know what the problem is, is anyone else seeing this?

Also progress:

Progress:

• implemented IDisposable for Graphics Objects
  • On Battlescape, can now select topmost level of terrain to draw
  • Added pitch and yaw controls to battlescape camera

Notes.

• The battlescape terrain is a very simple two level terain, basically, a ground floor, with steps leading to the second floor. And a single wall
  • You can click on the "Top Level" button to control the topmost terrain level to show.
  • You can move the camera. Keys are:
    • "pageup/pagedown" moves camera vertically.
    • left and right arrows move camera left and right.
    • up and down arrows move forwards and back.
    • W and X tilt camera up and down
    • A and D spin camera left and right.

To be honest, the UI is most suckful. I think next thing I'm going to try and do is a "right click" to drag the battlescape. However other suggestions for UI controls appreciated.

A small comment. In games, it's common that one mouse button controls drag (move around) and the other mouse button controls the rotation, so how about having the left button mouse control rotation and, if possible, mouse wheel to allow either zoom-in or at least move the camera vertically (this is the way it is in UFO: AS and AL, IIRC)

A small comment. In games, it's common that one mouse button controls drag (move around) and the other mouse button controls the rotation, so how about having the left button mouse control rotation and, if possible, mouse wheel to allow either zoom-in or at least move the camera vertically (this is the way it is in UFO: AS and AL, IIRC)
I would swear that right click rotates and left click drags :/

In addition, mousewheel can be used either for moving around a selection container (i.e. list) or for zooming. Problem is that games should care for wheel-less mice, so in that case you can zoom by clicking both buttons

Nevertheless, I think such stuff should be practical but in addition the user should be able to customize controls (left for the end of the show anyway)

I would swear that right click rotates and left click drags :/

In addition, mousewheel can be used either for moving around a selection container (i.e. list) or for zooming. Problem is that games should care for wheel-less mice, so in that case you can zoom by clicking both buttons

Nevertheless, I think such stuff should be practical but in addition the user should be able to customize controls (left for the end of the show anyway)

Problem is, I want left mouse button for selecting combatants on the battlescape.

That leaves the right button for moving the battlescape.

Latest build

GeForce 8800 GTS 640

OK, trying to make some progress, it's difficult because it's working fine for me, and I'm not sure what's wrong/where to look for solution.

• Did the equip soldier screen ever work for you, or has it always gone blue screen? The reason for asking, is, if it has worked, and then it stopped working, obviously the problem is in the changes made between those two versions.
  • Second point, the "bluescreen" is the first thing that XNA draws when it begins a draw sequence. (Actually, it doesn't draw it, it just clears the backbuffer to that color.) The fact that you're not seeing anything is a bit odd, as CeGui has it's own rendering, so if you're not seeing anything, it suggests that something major is going on. Is it possible that the game engine isn't even returning to the Solder List screen? One possible way to tell, run a debug build of Xenocide from the IDE, go to the EquipSoldierScreen, and then close. Then check the bottom of the IDE, there should be a tag for a window called output. This is where debugging output is written to, and all screen changes should be logged to it.
  • Next possibility, something in the graphics setup/teardown of the EquipSoldierScreen could be upsetting the graphic card. So comment out the guts of the LoadGraphicsContent() and Draw() functions in the EquipSoldierScreen class and repeat. You should get the CeGUI part of the screen, but not the graphics. Does it bluescreen when you exit EquipSoldierScreen? If it's still bluescreening, next thing would be try removing all references to EquipSoldierScreen.scene. e.g.
    Comment out this line:
    		/// <summary>
    	/// The view shown on the screen
    	/// </summary>
    	private EquipSoldierScene scene = new EquipSoldierScene();

And then any other lines the compiler complains about when you try building.
    And recheck for bluescreen bug.

• Can anyone else who's got a recent build (ie. 0.3.1780 or later) let me know if you've got this bluescreen problem or not? Especially if you're running an nVidia 8800 series card.

I cannot remember if it was working before, it might have, I will try reverting to older builds and see if it works. Might not be able to try tonight but we will see.

Also as for mouse buttons, what about the middle mouse button? most mice have them. I rearly see a 2 button mouse anymore.

Edited by Darkhomb

Guest Azrael Strife
Question: Am I able to build xenocide using Visual C# 2008 and XNA Game Studio 2.0? because I cannot install 1.0 Refresh unless I have Visual C# 2005 SP1.

Question: Am I able to build xenocide using Visual C# 2008 and XNA Game Studio 2.0? because I cannot install 1.0 Refresh unless I have Visual C# 2005 SP1.

David wanted to do the change to XNA 2.0 but Visual C# 2008 is not supported in XNA Game Studio 2.0 yet. They will release a hotfix/refresh for it as the Retail Version wasnt done when they released the new version.

You can still download Visual Studio 2005 SP1 along with Visual Studio 2008 side by side without trouble.

Greetings

Red Knight

David wanted to do the change to XNA 2.0 but Visual C# 2008 is not supported in XNA Game Studio 2.0 yet. They will release a hotfix/refresh for it as the Retail Version wasnt done when they released the new version.

You can still download Visual Studio 2005 SP1 along with Visual Studio 2008 side by side without trouble.

Greetings

Red Knight

Just to clarify, while I am planning on moving to XNA 2.0, this is on hold until SupSuper manages to get it working on his system.

Guest Azrael Strife

Greetings

Red Knight

Just to clarify, while I am planning on moving to XNA 2.0, this is on hold until SupSuper manages to get it working on his system.

Can anyone provide a link to Visual C# express 2005? the link here, after selecting the language, does nothing, so I cannot download it from M$.

Greetings

Red Knight

I'd say move on without me, I suspect this is something faulty with my Windows installation since nobody on the XNA Forums can figure it out, and I currently don't have the time to reinstall from scratch.

As for battlescape mouse-controls, I'd suggest:

Left-button: click on stuff

Right-button: tilt/spin

Left+right-button: move the screen around (or have the classic "move on screen edges" or just a minimap to make it easy to move around)

Wheel: zoom in/out

Wheel+click: move vertically (or middle-click and move the mouse, whichever's more convenient)

People without a wheel/middle button can just use keyboard shortcuts like with any other game.

Edited by SupSuper

Greetings

Red Knight

I'd say move on without me, I suspect this is something faulty with my Windows installation since nobody on the XNA Forums can figure it out, and I currently don't have the time to reinstall from scratch.

As for battlescape mouse-controls, I'd suggest:

Left-button: click on stuff

Right-button: tilt/spin

Left+right-button: move the screen around (or have the classic "move on screen edges" or just a minimap to make it easy to move around)

Wheel: zoom in/out

Wheel+click: move vertically (or middle-click and move the mouse, whichever's more convenient)

People without a wheel/middle button can just use keyboard shortcuts like with any other game.

Well, as you're working on the new UI, I'd like to see that added ASAP.

Sorry about that. I didn't realize we had a new area for those files. ^_^

Anyway, I had a look at combatant.xml and item.xml and both seem to be in good shape. The only things I should mention is

1. Even though the Spawn (Chryssalid) has a melee attack it really doesn't do any damage to humans. It just converts them to Zombies. But MC'd aliens and tanks take damage. Might need a bit of code to distinguish between the two.
  2. The Grey Leaders/Commanders as well as all the Cloak ranks have an integrated psionic attack which doesn't require a psionic device. We might want to add those abilities sometime.

- Zombie

Sorry about that. I didn't realize we had a new area for those files. ^_^

Anyway, I had a look at combatant.xml and item.xml and both seem to be in good shape. The only things I should mention is

1. Even though the Spawn (Chryssalid) has a melee attack it really doesn't do any damage to humans. It just converts them to Zombies. But MC'd aliens and tanks take damage. Might need a bit of code to distinguish between the two.
  2. The Grey Leaders/Commanders as well as all the Cloak ranks have an integrated psionic attack which doesn't require a psionic device. We might want to add those abilities sometime.

- Zombie

Thanks Zombie:

progress:

• Merged in Darkhomb's EquipSoldierScreen patch
  • Now have textures for a couple of facilities on Outpost Facility Screen (also thanks to Darkhomb)
  • added BattlescapeScene.WindowToBattlescapeCell() - so now can convert from mouse position to Cell on Battlescape
  • Refactored Grid class into LineMesh and LineMeshBuilder.
  • Can right click drag on battlescape to move viewpoint
  • Draw a "cube" on battlescape to show cell currently under mouse. Note, need to draw "stack" under cube, to show level cursor is on.

Notes.

• Refactoring Grid should make it easier for StaffSargent to put graphs onto the Statistics screen. (Also, I got the Basic effect to draw the line using the color info in the vertex.)

Edited by dteviot

Progress:

• draw "stack" under cube, to show level cursor is on
  • added graphics element to combatant.xml
  • can draw alien combatants on battlescape
  • Left click on battlescape cell moves alien to cell

Notes.

• Screen shot attached.
  • Note one, at moment, cells are 1 x 1 x 2.5 unit high.
  • Probably can just go to 1 x 1 x 1, and reduce the combatant model's size by half. Any thoughts?
  • And based on the size of the model, for what is probably a reasonably close view, it looks like our models don't need very high poly counts.

xeno.xna.2008_01_06.Battlescape.JPG

Great work.

I don't think we should go 1x1x1, as all models are based on that 1x1x2.5 cube. We don't want them to look tiny compared to the tiles. Besides, I think the screen will be zoomed out just a little more then it is, and prob a higher angle.

edit

Maybe we can try putting that house with landscape in for testing?

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=171567

Edited by Darkhomb

Great work.

I don't think we should go 1x1x1, as all models are based on that 1x1x2.5 cube. We don't want them to look tiny compared to the tiles. Besides, I think the screen will be zoomed out just a little more then it is, and prob a higher angle.

edit

Maybe we can try putting that house with landscape in for testing?

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=171567

Interesting model, any idea where the textures are from?

I am sure I can get them..

But this model is diffrent. it is devided up in cells 1x1x2.5. So I am wondering if there is a way to just paste this in the cells. It is not connected at all.

Well, I can try loading it as a model and draw on the battlescape. That said, in order to load it into XNA, I believe I need the textures. (That said, I'll try and find time to give it a try tonight and see if I can load it.)

However, my thought was if I can lay my hands on the textures, I can create a texture atlas, and convert the model into a battlescape terrain. That is, break it into a set of cells with properties, and then let the batttlescape reconstruct the image from the terrain data.

By the way, the colors I selected for the graph lines are mostly random (black was of course not an option... an I avoided the grid lines red color too).

One way or another, I would be the first one to admit that the color selection could use some work. I don't feel qualified to make a good choice here and would appreciate if someone can make a better selection.

Progress
  • Statistics screen now displays information in a graph

Notes

• Some code cleanup may still need to be done... xna and graphics programming still new ground for me

Progress:

• cleanup of StaffSargeant's StatisticsScreen patch

Notes.

• Tried to put house into battlescape. Wasn't successful. XNA importer complained of lack of textures for model.

Can one of you fine gentlemen (Darkhomb or Mad) please submit Xenocide to Microsoft XNA showcase?

Instructions are here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/xna/archive/2008/01/...-all-games.aspx

I would rather have Mad, kafros, or any other creative text person do this, as my writing style is that of a kindergartener.

However I will put together new game play footage with the latest build and get the screenshots.

Edited by Darkhomb

Progress:

• the battlescape test terrain is (loosely) based on the house model.
  • dispose of StatisticSceen's IDisposable components
  • stopped some FxCop warnings

Notes.

• Screen shot attached. Note the problem we have in that the texture for each wall is used on both sides of the wall.
  • The SpriteBatch used in StatisticsScreen is now disposed when the screen is closed. This means it should generate Darkhomb's blue screen problem
  • There's a couple of textures I'd still like to get my hands on. A "grav lift floor" tile, and a "X-Corp start/end" position floor tile.

xeno.xna.2008_01_13.Battlescape.JPG

Progress:

• LineMesh handles case of empty mesh
  • Fixed up plotting of path between combatant and cursor. (Left click on cell to move combatant to cell.)
  • Found and fixed bug with pathfinder going to top of stair and going to empty space on next level
  • Fixed a number of FxCop warnings

Notes.

• There's a small bug in pathing engine, counts going from one level to top stair of next lower level as 2 steps, not one. We need to decide exactly what the rules for falling are.

I forgot to ask, as I saw the screenshot of the tiles you had in battlescape, what should it look like? This is what mine looks like.
I think you should be able to see the terrain. Well, I can see it, although it blinks like crazy, so there's something wrong.

Notes.
  • There's a small bug in pathing engine, counts going from one level to top stair of next lower level as 2 steps, not one. We need to decide exactly what the rules for falling are.

As far as I'm aware, falling doesn't cost any steps since it's not an "action" but a natural occurance (though we might wanna have fall damage). Only using an elevator/flying suit/etc. to change levels costs steps.

I forgot to ask, as I saw the screenshot of the tiles you had in battlescape, what should it look like? This is what mine looks like.
I think you should be able to see the terrain. Well, I can see it, although it blinks like crazy, so there's something wrong.

You should see the terrain tiles, as in the screenshot in my post (#42).

Flickering is odd, doesn't do it for me, on my PC, nor my friends. Is anyone else having problems?

Notes.

As far as I'm aware, falling doesn't cost any steps since it's not an "action" but a natural occurance (though we might wanna have fall damage). Only using an elevator/flying suit/etc. to change levels costs steps.

Getting falling to work in the pathing engine is going to require serious thought.

For example, what IS the movement cost of falling? If it's low, then the engine is going to use it whenever it can. But we probably don't want that happening, because we would need to allow for falling damage.

Probably simplest solution is that used in X-Com 1, we ignore falling damage, and if a non-flying unit steps onto a cell with no floor, unit goes down until hits a cell that either has no floor, is the ground level, or is blocked. Actually on reflection, we probably only need to consider the first 2 cases. If the 3rd happens, it's probably a case of bad level design.

We can add in falling damage later, if we can figure out how to do it. (Any ideas are appreciated.)

See the attached screenshot, I supposed it was normal :S

And of course, if I click on a cell where there is no terrain, BOOM assert() fails and the application crashes :O

Edit:

I don't know about the EU formula and I don't know if there's anything related in Zombie's + NKF's ufopaedia, but let me give it a wild shot.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=53810 Discussion on lethal jump height

How fatal a fall is, is definitely determined by the (de-)acceleration of the body. Large a -> Large F -> Bigger possibility to receive physical damage.

Let's make it simpler and suppose it's just a matter of height. (for the game at least, I guess a soldier will never fall on his head :P)

It seems that a fall from the 4th floor (that would be aprox. 10 meters) is usually fatal. 10 meters, let's say that each xeno block is 2m. That would be 5 blocks.

Let's suppose that the average soldier has 60hp. A factor of 2 seems good, so... Let's say that you don't receive damage from a 1-cell fall (2 meters, that would be lame :P). So, there are 4 blocks that can kill our soldier, 60 / 2^4 = 3,75. Let's round it a bit, 4.

So:

if ( number_of_cells_of_the_fall >1 )
  hp -= 4 * (number_of_cells_of_the_fall - 1);

In addition, U = mgh, so you could once again say that the whole potential energy is received by our unlucky victim, he starts receiving punishment for falls >2m etc etc etc (another way of thinking)

Very rough and simple, but hey at least I tried :P

Edited by kafros