XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Disabling Sound In Dosbox

Idgy

Hi all, I'm running UFO:EU in DOSBox 0.72 on Mac OS X. I'd like to play without music, but keep the sound effects (I play other stuff or listen to podcasts in the background).

I've seen a few posts on getting sound running in DOSBox, but the default.conf files posted in them differ from mine - which I think means my sound shouldn't be working! Since it is, those posts aren't much help to me.

Here's my config file. If anyone can tell me what changes to make there to disable the music, but keep the sound effects, or alternately if there are any files in the XCom directory I can delete/rename in order to keep the game from loading them, that would be great. Thanks!

[mixer]
Nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]

mpu401=
device=
config=

[sblaster]

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]

gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=7
dma1=1
dma2=1
ultradir=C:/ULTRASND

[speaker]

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

Didn't see this post the first tiime. But as per my reply on Strategycore, you can disable the music by either turning down the in-game volume via the + and - keys on the numeric pad. Doing this also toggles your Geoscape overlay, so press any key to get it back.

Or to remove it completely, you can run the game's setup.exe and only set the FX settings, and 'no sound' for the music. Your dosbox.conf file has the settings: 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1, so enter those when setting up your FX soundcard. You can also invert the stereo effects if they sound flipped while you're playing.

- NKF