Right, here it is.
I've tested it on my non-working copy of UFO CE, and it jolly well works, so hopefully it will be fine. Treat it as experimental at this stage.
edit: I've since discovered that all I've done is recreate the v1.4 patch for the dos version. The only real change is the fixed Geoscape.exe and the inclusion of the Dos4gw.exe extended memory enabler (needed by the Dos version by the way, not included in CE). Doh.
What you need to do now is:
- Download the attachment and do the usual virus scan for a bit of piece of mind.
- Install your CE copy.
- Get the latest copy of Dosbox from: http://www.dosbox.com
and install it. Set up the Dosbox config file to mount your usual games folder as C: , or just mount your X-Com CE directly as a drive.
- If your CE Executable is called ufo.exe, rename it to something else. For example UFO Defense.exe or UFO Defence.exe or UFO CE.exe, or whatever takes your fancy, as long as it's not plain "UFO". The alternative is to rename the ufo.bat in this patch to something else.
- Unzip the attached file patch into your CE copy's directory. There are no files that will be overwritten, but you will be asked if you wish the overwrite the sounds folder. Say yes.
- Launch Dosbox, switch to your X-Com folder and type ufo (or the renamed batch file, if you changed it) to launch the game. And hopefully you'll be good to go.
I've set it to use the default dosbox soundcard emulation settings, but if you are having sound problems, run the sound setup (setup.exe) and adjust it accordingly.
Edited by NKF, 10 January 2012 - 12:05 AM.