XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Build-0-0-4

cyberdrift

Hi,

I am starting build-0-0-4. Through some research, I think I have found a way to create static lib files in the Borland environments so that they are doing what the GCC builds are doing. I will test it out and let people know what's up during this build.

I am also in the process of adding a Windows 98 platform to the mix. This is somewhat important to building, but I think its definately important to testing later on. Currently I have only been building on Windows 2000, which won't show us problems we might be having with the 9x code base.

There has been a request to add FreeBSD to the builds as well. It is doable (although I have my reservations about it), and, since I'm setting up a machine to run Windows 98, I might as well set it up and dual boot 98 and FreeBSD 5.0. Let me now what you think.

Also, what is the state of our video card support? We're advertising ATI and nVidia support, but it sounds like we have unresolved issues with ATI cards. One of the things I'm going to have to do at some point is get ahold of some cards to upgrade a couple of my machines. If I support FreeBSD, it would have to be a nVidia card, but are we actually going to support ATI as well?

Updates to come.

If you really have reservations about doing a FreeBSD build I don't think you have to but I think it would be good to have a FreeBSD guy on the team. You are already supporting a ton of systems and I would guess that supporting that many systems by one person would be a pain. The thing is that support for FreeBSD (and non of the other BSDs) is not that hard to thing. Most things that are written for linux work on FreeBSD too because they both are basically POSIX and share the same libs and interfaces. In fact, this project having linux support alone would probably insure that it would compile and run on FreeBSD now that FreeBSD has nvidia drivers. Having a FreeBSD developer on the team is more a just in case thing. Projects like XFree86 have developers from all the linux and BSD distrobutons on the team for simular reasons. And linus himself said that OS have to do less with the kernel it uses these days than with the libs. That probably should have been OE for Operating Enviornment but even without support for linux compiled binaries Linux and FreeBSD are basically the same Operating Enviorment based on POSIX with diffrent kernels and soono GNU/HURD will join that group. I would have installed FreeBSD and supported it myself a long time ago if I had a bigger HD. :) But all that about FreeBSD being used for servers does not mean that people out there don't use it as a desktop either. Mean when the story first broke on /. about FreeBSD having NVIDIA drivers there were many geeks wanting to use it as their desktop. Anyway the point is that you don't have to support FreeBSD and I think it is a mistake for one guy to build for every system in existance anyway in a multiplatform project like this. Instead I think it is more logical to get developers that want to support that platfrom to make sure the project builds for that system. As for Radeon support, we didn't want to be elitiest NVIDIA bastards either. We originally wanted to support Any modern system that can handle the game. Radeon cards are good enough so RK like Advertised a job for an Radeon OpenGL developer on sourceforge like I advertised a job for a OS X guy. The idea was to get people who use specific cards or operating systems good enough to handle the game to provide the support. With the Radeon thing it is more about finding out what the Radeon special opengl extension are since RK knows the NVIDIA specific extension for opengl.

The Radeon Support should be resolved by now if only i could find (in his house) a friend who owns a GeForce 4 Ti to program the bump mapping pixel shader.

So i think that support is near, at least if the pixel shader is not too tough to program.

Greetings

Red Knight