XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Can't Catch A Single Ufo!?!

Mad Cas

As topic, got to a certain point in the game and I can't catch any UFO, the Interceptor (any type) will just follow them about until they land or just plain dissapear...

The only way I get them is when they land, fine by me but not good for general scores as many don't land.

Is there something I'm missing or is this like a bug in the game, I don't remember it doing this before when I played it (many many moons ago)

Useful information:

-Interceptors I use: everyting and anything but the skyranger (duh) all equipped with plasma beams

-I'm on beginner level (weak I know but cut me some slack, I just started playing again)

-I'm at the point in the game where I have researched everything, It started a little before this though.

I guess now would be the logical time to go to cydonia but I'm just playing for the love of hunting down the little critters

Any Ideas or siilar Experiences?

Although Interceptors are useful for most of the game, they really suck in catching up to most any craft. I'd suggest investing in Avengers or Firestorms ASAP. Those two ships will be able to catch up and get into intercept range of any UFO. ;)

- Zombie

Although I use Interceptors as the core of my fleet throughout the game, Avengers and Firestorms are definitely needed for catching up to a UFO flying off at top speed.

Otherwise familiarise yourself with the flight pattern of UFOs, build lots of intercept outposts all around the globe and station an interceptor at each one.

See, most UFOs on common missions will have three phases to their flight. The first phase is the travel-to phase, where the UFO materializes on the globe and heads towards its mission zone at top speed. Your interceptors cannot catch them during this phase.

The second phase is their mission phase where they will scout about the area at slow speed, and may even land a few times. This is where your interceptors jump in and nab them.

The final phase is their go-home phase, where they'll shoot off in some direction for a bit at top speed and vanish off the globe. Again, interceptors cannot catch them during this phase.

So you want to catch them when they are flying around their mission destination. With a good network of 5 or more intercept outposts spread all over the globe, you can just wait for the UFO to near its target zone (Hyperwave decoders are true wonders, aren't they?), then launch the nearest interceptor once it slows down. If the UFO breaks off and flees from the interceptor, it may still slow down further along. Either chase it or if the inteceptor runs out of fuel, launch the next nearest interceptor.

I'd still recommend stationing a few Avengers at primary bases for emergencies and Battleships.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

My fleet consists of 4 interceptors, 3 avengers, 1 firestorm, 1 lighting and the old MK1 rustbucket Skyranger.

All are equipped with plasma beams and literally NEVER catch a UFO in flight, I just dont get the air to air combat screen any more. Its not a big problem, I just chase them until they land or til they bugger off totally.

I'm guessing its some sort of bug with the version I have/OS combo. (its not the most stable thing on XP)

I have had this in a game I played before (but never on the Amiga CD32 Version) and once I get bored of this game I'll go to cydonia, turn them all into cat food and start a new game, see if it happens on that one. It just got to a certain point and started doing that. Luckily it happens when I'm quite far along and funding and stuff is not an issue.

It seems like once the intercepting craft reaches the target ufo, the UFO accelerates to match the Intercepting crafts speed, and stays just ahead of it. Odd! WTF

Now that is a fine case of a bug that shouldn't be happening. Right, I haven't a clue how to fix it, but:

What version of the game are you running and what (if any) patches/mods/etc are you playing the game with?

- NKF

So in geoscape you catch the UFOs but the interception window doesnt open?

Back up your save games, Uninstall, delete residual files, reinstall, then start a new game if it works copy in your save games and try then.