XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Naming

PeterDragon

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i do the same thing :D

best: tommy
next: moi, mikker
next again: stewart
next again: micah

if any of those die, i reload the game :)

and if i find out that they have crappy stats, i make a propper burial, whitch mean that him inside a medium scout, kill all the aliens exept 1, and unarm him. Then i make all my men shoot blaster bombs at him while the mourn his death! :)

Welp, there's the JAFR series, JAFR1, JAFR2,...JAFRn. If they kill something then they become JAFS1, JAFS2,...etc.

Then there's the Fodder Clan, Fodder1, Fodder2, ... Foddern

Then there's the Redneck Clan, Bubba1, Bubba2, ... Bubban

Of course my favorite crew is the Kelly's Heroes bunch, Crapgame, Babara, Kelly, etc...

On recruiting if their bravery is less than 40, :flush: Everything else *will* get better with time, or they die.

After building Psi labs anyone with a Psi strength greater than 80 gets seconded to the Mars Squad and pulled off earthops and once I have an Avenger-full, off they go.

Never felt the need to worry about weapons stats, everyone gets the same basic load, laser rifles, grenades, demo, proxies, flares and stunners in the ship to use when needed. In the pre-laser period everyone gets rifles and grenades, lots of grenades.

Someone gets into double digits on kills while still surviving I give a nick, Booty, Chunkz, HeHateMe, etc...

• 4 weeks later...
I use the last names of basketball players and musicians that I like. When I run out of those, I just delete the last names of the rookies I want to keep.

After I've got just the single names, then I add firing accuracy, psi strength and psi skill.

So a guy with 70 firing accuracy, 80 psi strength, and 90 psi skill, would be:

Garnett 70 80 90

I never rename any soldiers...

[quote name='Whitewashed' date='Jan 16 2004, 06:10 AM']I never rename any soldiers...[/quote]
:o
a ) How do you get attached to them then?
b ) How do you remember who had good strength, who was psi-guy, who had amazing throwing accuracy etc.? Edited by Nyyperoid

[quote name='Nyyperoid' date='Jan 16 2004, 09:00 AM']a ) How do you get attached to them then?
b ) How do you remember who had good strength, who was psi-guy, who had amazing throwing accuracy etc.?[/quote]
a)its a game.
b)click the little mark which tells about their rank.

[quote name='mikker' date='Jan 16 2004, 09:38 AM']a)its a game.
b)click the little mark which tells about their rank.[/quote]
a: really? I thought it was real. :o :D no really, you never get a least bit attached to them? OMG you're not enjoying it as much as me then.
b: x-com 2 equip screen has that option, x-com 1 doesn't so the question remains unanswered

Are you sure? I could have swore that... Wait, I must test it to see if the vodka is getting to me again! :)

Edit: It isn't getting to me! It really works! Muhahaha! Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

eh, how did you get tank laser cannon to [b]EQUIP SCREEN[/b]???

You cannot look at soldier's stats in the equip screen in Xcom 1, this is a fact and it makes us loyal UFO defense fans sad all the time. However, you can click on the little bars during the battle scape and see the soldiers/tanks/aliens stats whenever you want... and that is what the pic is from.

Edit: it is also why we usually name our soldiers... because this game has a wonderful habit of throwing a blaster bomb launcher onto people with psy ratings of -8. Edited by Trevelyan

Yeah, that's what I was saying. You can't see stats in x-com 1 equip screen.

• 5 weeks later...
I have Rifleman, sharpshooter, grenadier, scout, marine, sniper, heavy weapons, etc. I usually have more grenadiers than anyone else. Who sacks 80% of the guys they hire in the beginning....aye

• 2 weeks later...
By Stats.

I try to find those soliders that have good aiming stats, or throwing stats to a lesser degree, and prime them to become snipers early on.

If they have a decent aiming off the bat, I'll give them a pistol and keep them in the rear, then have them do aimed or snap shots. Might take a few to kill a Sectoid, but he'll fall and it will be much easier later on to move onto the good weapons with the improved aiming.

When you do quite some missions with your squad, you get get attached to them with their original names. Well, at least if you take care not to get total team wipeout too often...

[quote name='pauloko' date='Feb 27 2004, 05:59 PM']Naming is one of more fun points of X-com for me.  I name soldiers after people I know and let them know how they are doing.  Too bad 90% of my soldiers end up dead.[/quote]
LOL. You actually tell people "hey sorry, but a chryssalid zombified you last night."?

• 1 month later...
I rename one solider to my name. The rest I adjust according to what I use them for.

Before the new ships I divid them into 4 groups of 3

1 Group leader (GL 1)
1 Sharp Shooter (SS 1)
1 Medic (M 1)

1 Group leader (GL 2)
1 Sharp Shooter (SS 2)
1 Medic (M 2)

1 Group leader (GL 3)
1 Sharp Shooter (SS 3)
1 Medic (M 3)

The last man is Captain, aka Sniper
but that is just me :)

• 2 weeks later...
:D hmmmm IronChef-san, that idea sounds verr verr fun :wave:

Normally I have my elite squad named after me and my friends, if they get killed someone else is flown in and renamed as them....... It works, obviously I get the best weapons! :D

mostly I rename them depending on their stats......(blonde guys with high Str and Enr are called Pandolfo--Hes a big guy!) and their assigned weapons by their name.....

Some idiot called Andy likes his heavylaser alot and tends to take point blank potshots in engine rooms.... :D

• 3 weeks later...
> imperialus
> Therefore a sargent from Delta base who has a really
> high thrown weapons would be.

> D-Mark-GRN-3

imperialus, check this book:

Paranoia: Title Deleted for Security Reasons
by Edward Bolme

To give you an impression:
Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz. Dang. Buzz, buzz. Dang, dang. "too.. early..." DMARK-R-GRN-3 tries to wake up from a short but refreshing sleep...
He knows it must be refreshing because The Computer tells him so. In fact, The Computer is his friend. All who are not are commie traitors or mutants and must be shot. But it IS early... "another day..." DMARK-R-GRN groans as he grabs his red uniform and puts it on. Being the Happy Officer of a Red clearance Troubleshooter Team, won't mean a promotion to Orange clearance any time soon. Better take some extra Happy Pills with him today. Promotion to Orange clearance could entail longer refreshment periods.

DMARK steps into one of the hallways of sector GRN. This sector is usually green clearance, but the floor is red clearance in this part. Cheap homes, but food in the mess hall is nice.
"Good day cycle, DMARK-R-GRN-3!" a nearby speaker sings. A monitor further down the hallway quickly wizzes towards it.
"Good day cycle, my friend The Computer!" DMARK quickly replies.
"Was your refreshment period cycle, comforting?"
The monitor spins around, screen is a bit malfunctioning..
"Yes, yes, friend Computer!"
"Then why are you not happy?"
"I am very happy. Happiness is mandatory. All hail The Computer!"
The monitor finally stabilizes, recalibrates and then shows a smiling face.
"Good. Have a nice day cycle."

> If at a glance I don't like their stats I just add an X at the end of their
> name and either kamakazi them or sack them if I'm approching the
> end of the month.

Same in Paranoia:

"Citizen DMARK-R-GRN-3, please report to the nearest Treason confess center. There you will be terminated and recycled shortly. Thank you, please have a nice day cycle."

If you can still get a copy of the book, it :rock: and is funnier than I can describe. You'll love it. Edited by sunsmountain

• 1 month later...
I take...

Yolanda Okabe, and make her

Y. Okabe.

At this point, I give them all three letter class names.

Grn - Grenadier (Throws things that go boom)
Sol - Soldier (Grunt)
Sci - Scientist (interested primarily in capturing live aliens, Mind Sphere)
Sco - Scout (Motion Scanner)
Psi - Psychic (Psi-Amp)
Hvy - Heavy (Rocket Launcher, Blaster Launcher)
Amo - Ammunition holds (holds rockets, follows rocket guy)
Dmo - Demolitions (HiEx Nades, Alien Nades, used only for destroying landscape things I don't like)
Med - Medic (Medkits, pistol sometimes)
Sni - Sniper (Good reactions, rifle weapon and crouch)

Cross-trained (read elite) soldiers get five letter names

Recon
SpcOp
BlkOp
PsiOp
Elite

Now, I assign rank. Each person gets a dot for their rank.

Rookies: None
Squaddies: One
And so on and so forth

SO...

Y. Okabe is a sergant sniper, she gets...

Y. Okabe :Sni:

Tells you a lot about your unit, helps with equipping stuff, and lets them still be a person, not a string of numbers.

-Lootgen

I've renamed a few after some people and characters from a certain [url="http://www.megatokyo.com"]webcomic[/url] and its fan-made Forum Role-Playing Game.

Commander Kimiko Nanasawa - A lady with pretty sharp skills with a rifle, is quite fast, and has a quick trigger-finger. She is stationed at the primary X-COM facility, Codename: Dreamland, located in Nevada.
-Named after MegaTokyo's female lead.

Colonel Erika Hayasaka - Strong woman with quite a bit of stamina, and is a pretty good sharp-shooter. She is Commander Nanasawa's second-in-command and is also stationed at Dreamland.
-Named after another female of the MegaTokyo world, this time the male lead's co-worker, known for breaking men's arms when they invade her personal space.

Captain Nick Vrenna - Extremely sharp in the weapons department and quite fast, Captain Vrenna lives up to his namesake and has been perhaps one of the most successful X-COM agents, having an average of over one kill each mission. In fact, he has about a 3 kills every 2 missions record. He works very closely with the command squad and often leads and works with the new recruits assigned to the Dreamland base.
-Named after the main character of the game [url="http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~scot4875/"]ABUSE[/url].

Captain Aleksandr Kavinsky - Commanding officer of the Australasian facility, Codename: Kiakoura. Not overly spectacular, but a capable soldier, nonetheless. Endurance is on par with Colonel Hayasaka, and his ability to react to changes in situations is quite impressive.
-Named after an MT:tC character created by MT-Forum user NightwalkerAK.

Captain Damion Duskstar - Another Captain of the Kiakoura facility. Is perhaps Captain Kavinsky's superior, due to his higher success rate in the field. Is much more proficient with weapons and more reactionary than Captain Kavinsky; however, he is less energetic.
-Named after an MT:tC character created by MT-Forum user Damion Requiem.

Sergeant Rune Simbriant - Very healthy and quite accurate with a rifle, Sergeant Simbriant has served the Kiakoura facility well as a lower-level officer.
-Named after MT:tC author Rune Simbriant

Sergeant Aurora Duskstar - A woman with a [b]very[/b] substantial amount of stamina, Sergeant Duskstar is also one of the most observant and reactionary soldiers in the X-COM forces and serves at the Kiakoura facility. On a more personal level, she and Sergeant Simbriant apparently have a relationship, and she is the elder sister of Captain Duskstar.
-Named after MT:tC author cutelildrow, creator of MT:tC character Shadowdancer Duskstar.

Squaddie Kitaro Nanasawa - A young man that was fairly recently accepted into the X-COM fold and assigned to Dreamland, the younger brother of Commander Nanasawa has proven himself in combat, but has yet to actually take down an alien. Fairly energetic and a decent marksman for such a new recruit, his greatest strength seems to be in his reaction speeds, in which only the Duskstars outperform him. He may yet prove to be a worthy addition to the X-COM organization.
-Name is partially made up. Only given a name due to the fact that he had the same last name as the character that was originally the Commander.

hehe, i guess its never to late to play this game, i started playing xcom again from many years of absence *shame* and im starting from beginner, i cant believe how suck i am, my 1st base got stormed by the aliens and i lost =(..its really really hard.

but with my naming, i just use a nickname then x/what they are good at ie sc with/or sp, then ractions 30/strenght45

so it kinda looks like this.

badassmofo x/sc/sp/37/39

later on i might just change it all to numbers

I completely agree with that... It was way too complicated to equip the soldiers correctly in XCOM1. Then again, considering I was in High school at the time, I did'nt consider changing their names, as I thought it gave a better feeling. What's with "sSshtF55" getting killed :blink: You tend to remember the names of your exceptionnal soldiers; I do remember an instance where a good Sharpshooter fired an aimed shot with her Heavy Laser accros the entire battlescape (yes, even through an apple orchard) to get the nasty Blaster Launcher alien that was about to reduce my whole team to smoking rubbles... Names can get a lot more meaningfull that way, it makes you hate to lose soldiers, and you stop considering them fodder...

Then again, consdering XCOM1' lack of accessibility to soldier's stats (UFO: Aftermath comes to mind as a good example of a really good equipping interface)

I will definitely try to use a naming convention for my next game...
I'd try to keep it simple, aka "efficient", because the whole point is to know how to equip them and what roles are they going to use in missions... Besides, if I have to use a dictionary each time I look at a soldier, what's the point?
^_^
I think a small suffix can do the trick, especially like the suggestions:
SOL: Soldier (rounded, throwing)
SNP: Sniper (Sharpshooter)
HW: Heavy Weapons (Strength)
SC: Scout (Good Reaction)
PSI: guess what...
* medals, exploits...
(+): Medic (+throwing)
(-): useless fodder, low courage, etc.

Besides use what's best for you, I think using a little trick like that can make the game more enjoyable... :D

[quote name='Kenshiro' date='Jul 3 2003, 03:46 PM']Hopefully I'm not stating the obvious too badly here, but I think this thread goes to show the original X-Com was in desperate need of a better way to access your troop's stats from various places in the game.  Hopefully the new X-Net Operatives Database will solve alot of that, but we clearly need to link it from a ton more places, especially right from the loadout screen, right from the battlescape, and anywhere else you are making decisions on what to do with your soldiers. 
(...)
This way, your men can go on with the names their mommas game 'em and don't have to be named using a code the IRS accounting department would be proud of.
[right][post="25949"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

• 1 month later...
Guest alex the greater
my troops are not numbers thay are free men (or woman)

i just add two leter sufixs to the end of the name reprosenting thare spetal gear like HC (hevy canon) or RL (rocket lancher)outher wise thay are riflemen which have no sufix

In large part, I keep the names the game gives the soldiers, with the exception of the really pesky long names.

If there's room in the field, I essentially put a - followed by 3 letter rank, and then a ? or an * to denote whether I should fire them/use them as fodder, or a P and a ? for well after they're in their psi phase. If they had a high psi strength for example yet their skill was only at less than 50, I'd leave the ? mark until after its climbed above that.

i.e.

Adam Smith with respectable stats all round would be:

Adam Smith-Sgt-P

It simply lets me know at a glance that I can rely on him for most jobs, but most importantly his skill at using psi attack.

Now if it were the same guy but where he needs more psi skill (if psi strengh is below 70, I just fire them, but in this case strengh is good, skill needs work):

Adam Smith-Sgt-P?

Also whatever rank they stand at can sometimes be an indicator how much risk I should put them in or have them hang back just behind the scouts, and behind those, my psi guys/medics.

In addition, I always leave those with the ? mark in psi training until that skill is above 50, then I remove the mark and take them out of training so there's room for someone else space permiting.

For most low ranking soldiers by stats that I might use as human shields or just fire, I put an asterisk * next to their names, or put as many dashes as I can ------- for easy spotting in my sell/sack screen among other unassigned soldiers.

Its also helpful to me at a glance when I'm on the equip screen and choosing who should wear armor. Those that'll have any meaning for me get some. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally sacked a soldier while he was still wearing his armor. The oversight committee would have a field day if they knew about those misplaced suits (course, they had to be power suits or flying suits to boot -d'oh!) :huh:

One other naming convention I use for that is just after I get some. If their skills are adequate, I give them armor then rename them with a -R for rookiee.

Just have to use what works best for you... At least in Tftd we could see the soldier's stats by clicking on his rank icon in the equipment screen...
I sincerely hope (and pray) that xenocide will have the equipment assigned to the SOLDIER, not to the craft...
That would be the day... :master: :beer:

I named my almighty all-powerful soldier UltimaWeapon. Too bad his psi-strength is only in the 50's.

I was more 'creative' about my naming (naming the one with a German-sounding default name 'Sneipmeister' for instance) but lately, I've just been deleting the surnames and replacing them with things like "Soldier" "Sniper" etc.

Sometime I should probably do some grenadiers...

I never used grenadier in XCOM1, seemed like too much of a pain to arm and throw everytime... Then there was Tftd, where grenades were DEFINITELY your best friend all the way, and then I came back to play XCOM1 ten years later (thanks to this project), and I found that EXPLOSIVES IN GENERAL ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS!! :D
Seriously, it's so easy to have 2-4 guys hanging back, grenade/explosives in hand, moving them last in case one of our guys would come up on an alien and be unable to kill it... it becomes too easy... That and the joy of bombing buildings... No more deathtraps!! :LOL:

I use a similar method to a few above with some small exceptions..

First, Last name<X/X/X> <-- Is the structure. Sometimes I cut out a bit of the last name if it's too long.

Overall Average stats = <R> for "Recon/Recruit/Rookie". Most people start out with a simple <R> which later gets turned into whatever they become better at as they progress..

<R> = Recon, overall mediocre/low stats, OR high Time Units with no other distinguishable characteristics.
<H> = Heavy weapons. Strength of 40+
<S> = Sniper, Accuracy of 70+
<M> = Medic, 60+ TU's 50+ Bravery
<G> = Grenadier, 80+ throwing accuracy 35+ Strength. If necessary I will train their strength for them, since it's easy to do.
<P> = Psionic, 50+ Psionic Strength.
<*>, Valuable overall, but maybe not necessarily exceptional. For example, a rookie with 60 time units, 40 Bravery, 45 reaction, 65 accuracy, 70 throwing accuracy, and 35 strength. A jack of all trades, master of none, if you will.

As they get higher stats in certain areas, I use something like <R/H> or <M/H>, <S/P>, etc.

I also try to do everything I can to train certian people for certain things.. If I see they have a 36 strength and my group is short of a heavy weapons guy (I prefer atleast 2), I will load him up with a bunch of equipment and make him run around alot even if he isn't really "Doing" anything after an area is cleared..

As far as training goes, I know how to train some things but can only "guess" at how other things are trained:

Time units: Use all of your time units as much as possible, and this will slowly but steadily increase.

Energy: Physical movement .. When you see a soldier has "Not enough energy" alot, don't let them rest.. Keep them moving, and this will go up.

Health: Apparently from taking damage and living? Or possibly a trickle effect from higher timeunits and energy overall?

Bravery: From having your morale lowered during the course of a battle, and winning anyway.

Reactions: Taking more opportunity fire.

Firing Accuracy: Fire more shots. (duh)

Throwing accuracy: Throw more objects. Even guns/medikits, etc etc.

Strength: Carrying heavier loads during the missions.. I don't think you have to actually move as long as you simply have a bunch of stuff equipped. And by a bunch I don't necessarily mean over-load your character.. Just make them carry heavy items without going over their "limit" and becoming encumbered.. Although being encumbered would do it as well, but you will be punishing your TU's for the time being.

Anybody know if I am right or wrong on all of this?

See my post in the 'How Do You Raise Stats?' thread in the tactical forum for an almost exhaustive list of what actions train what stats:

[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=349&st=35"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=349&st=35[/url]

As much as it makes absolutely no sense: Strength does not get raised by being encumbered in X-Com's UFO, TFTD and Apocalypse. In UFO/TFTD strength can only be raised by hitting enemies with bullets/area effect weapons, melee attacks and by one of the most unlikeliest methods of all: panicking (which also includes going berserk).

Being encumbered is bad in general. For one thing: It doesn't help raise strength. Strength bonuses can be random, depending on how much you've already got and how much combat experience you've earned in the battle. Next, being encumbered reduces your starting TUs. The effectiveness of your reaction score solely relies on the percentage of your remaining TUs. So if you start with only 80% of your TUs, you only get to use 80% of your reactions for your first move. This means not only don't you react as you normally would, it means you'll get shot at with alien opportunity fire a lot more frequently as well.

If you can follow my line of reasoning, you can see that arming a lighter weapon (or grenades) and just doing well in general over a few missions would be far more beneficial to your soldier's strength development than it would be to have the soldier carrying an anvil around. ;)

- NKF Edited by NKF

Geez, I did'nt know reaction was proportionnal to the amount of TUs left... No wonder the aliens react so well, they hardly move at all!!

Hence: Move slow and you'll react more quiclky...
(and pistols are your friends, for the grenadiers at least :D)

I understand and fully agree that being encumbered isn't a good thing, but I don't see how combat actions increase strength considering my heavy weapons guys do alot less acting and more carrying than my recon guys, but somehow the heavy weapons guys gain strength as fast or faster because (I thought anyway) they carried more equipment...

Each object in Xcom to my knowledge has a weight assigned to it (Unfortunately we do not get to see this). I am assuming it has something to do with the ammount of squares it takes up in relation to how much strength you have.. I have not tested this but I could theorize that this would be, for example, if you have 20 strength you could fill 20 squares on your character without being encumbered.. and the ammount of squares you fill on your character is perportional to the amount of strength they get tacked on to their initial strength at the end of each mission..

Again, none of this is tested, only assumed on my part.. I could be totally off base, but I have never _NOTICED_ any strength growth based on actions.. If I have a scout with just a laser pistol I don't see him gain as much strength as, say, a guy toting a rocket launcher, even though the rocket launcher guy is doing alot less work/combat actions..

Do you happen to know if being promoted increases your stats, or are you simply promoted because of your stat increases?

Mhmmmm, looks like I'm going to have to answer that one step by step...
[quote name='EtherImp' date='Aug 18 2004, 11:16 AM']I understand and fully agree that being encumbered isn't a good thing, but I don't see how combat actions increase strength considering my heavy weapons guys do alot less acting and more carrying than my recon guys, but somehow the heavy weapons guys gain strength as fast or faster because (I thought anyway) they carried more equipment...
[right][post="90935"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I don't see it either, but I guarantee that I've seen my grenadiers increase in strength, even if they cary only a small bunch of grenades.
Better see :master: NKF's replies on How to raise a soldier's stats: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=349"]on this thread...[/url]
He is usually right on these sort of things, and I agree it would be perfectly logical to have Strength increase when you practice carrying heavy stuff, makes more sense (especially for Dagerfall/Morrowind fans :D )
On the other hand, the experience count is a lot simpler that that in UFO, my guess is the game creators went for the easy way to do it...
Even panicking increases your strength a bit :LOL:
My scouts have their strength increased anyway by the time they get enough experience to get promoted to captain.

[quote name='EtherImp' date='Aug 18 2004, 11:16 AM']Each object in Xcom to my knowledge has a weight assigned to it (Unfortunately we do not get to see this). I am assuming it has something to do with the ammount of squares it takes up in relation to how much strength you have..
Actually, each item in the game have a strength associated with it, measured in Strength units... A character can equip items as much as it's strength score without penalties, then it's TUs drop proportionately.
And you are right, the weights should be available to compare... It would prevent surprises like the fact that the Heavy plasma is as ligth as any rifle... (UFOpedia says it have a few anti-grav to make it lighter, probably for the Sectoids :D)

[quote name='EtherImp' date='Aug 18 2004, 11:16 AM']Do you happen to know if being promoted increases your stats, or are you simply promoted because of your stat increases?
No, promotions are merely assigned on different factors like the number of time panicked, etc. When a promotion slot opens up (such as an officer killed or new rookies hired), the one next in line gets promoted...
And the number of officers is merely proportional to the # of total soldiers (I think it's 3 soldiers (rookie or squadie) for a sergeant, and so on... )

I hope it helps ^_^ Edited by Paladin

• 1 month later...
At first i never named my dudes but I got this guy who became captin and his name was Gerard Gu-somthin so i changed it to DuGall (STAR CRAFT) and now i give my guys names that remind me of stats. Like this girl with high throwin and action points is named Xena, And if they have strong psi they get names like
Kate (PSI) also there the last ones to die... :happybanana:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Paladin' date='Sep 29 2004, 10:35 AM']heck no, I'd DIE if Winters died :LOL:
Besides, there were no girls in the 40's army :D
What are you going to call them... "Kitty"??
:LOL:
[right][post="96346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
:D i name them after female characters from MK and SF :ninja:
Ros
PS. Dick Winters will never die, i'm just a save-loadholic <_<

• 2 months later...
If I'm not naming them after people I know, this is the naming convention I use for my soldiers:

[first name] [TUs]/[Firing accuracy]/[reactions]/[psi skill]/[psi strength]

For example, I get a new recruit, say her name is Gudrun Richter (so many of that name):

Gudrun 50/64/48/12/40

Before I get armor, I list their health after reactions. After I get it, I remove it, and obviously I don't list psi stats until after I get them.

one system i used is to rename soldier with his/her good stats/bad stats.
after soldier advanced to have all stats in good range, he got unique name like 'Darth Vader' or 'Adam Mickewicz' (the greatest polish poem writer). the problem was when i hired soldier with all average stats. i called him something like 'THE average' and some time later discovered he is actually one of the best.

I name all the new rookies with really bad stats "Fodder" as in cannonfodder. This is the guy who invariably carries the stun rod, oopens every door and has all his time unit sused up every turn.
If a "fodder soldier' survives to get 5 kills I promote him from fodder to "Dude" which is an all purpose name for no specialists in my units.
Guys with great stats or that do special things on missions get cool names!
Its good to keep track of which soldiers have high strenght for carrying Rocket/Blaster Launchers etc so I actually name them "Strong" or "Rocketgirl" etc. :Leek: