XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Is Your Average Soldier Loss Rate?

Deimos

What is your average soldier loss rate?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey -

It really depends on the difficulty ratio. But, in general, if I'm playing on beginner :rolleyes: then I may lose one or two throughout the whole game (perhaps with a few reloads, but not many). On Super-fredeaking-Genious I may lose as many as 30 or 40 throughout the game.

Now, I'm sure that if I NEVER reloaded that the number may be higher due to those "second-turn-alien-blaster-into-avenger-full-of-rookies-on-supposedly-easy-training-mission" missions. If ya know what I mean... :boohoo:

Gold

Notice that you can have only 40 per battle. Checked it by having Rookies training center with 50 men. Mutons attacked it once and my every soldier was equipped with a Laser Rifle. When Equip Screen showed at start there were 10 LR on the ground. I even counted soldiers, just for sure. There were 40 of 'em.

depends if i go straight for the alien brain, or if i just play and see how long i can last. but about 41-50 seems right.

lets say rookies choose the wrong job occupation under me.

i clearly remember there being a muton alien infiltration attempt with the multiple ships. so seeing i only had 1 avenger and a skyranger ect i had to fight all of them

anyways at my main base, the new transfers list was half a page long - with about 5 rookies arriving every 12 hours or so

• 1 month later...
i have lost 0 overall. On superhuman, without saving in battles, and without cheating, and reseaching only lasers, and waiting til year 3000 before stopping. Did i mention that no cuntry had gone bad?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

.....It's true!

• 2 weeks later...
gee wiz MIKKER! YOU ARE AN XCOM GURU! ok. since i have a craving for slaughter now, i pack my avenger full of rookies with rifles (simulating real battle) and i just rush, its big fun, lose a lot though, im like, NOOOOO JIMMMYYYY!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!! I SSSHHHAAALLLL AVVENGGE YOU

• 2 weeks later...
I try to keep losses down, but the aliens don't seem to agree with me here :wink:
I can lose zero or almost all soldiers in a mission (all means I reload :D ),
but totalled I'd say 25-50. I don't know exactly as I don't track how many I lose (something I do not WANT to know maybe ^_^ )

When I played years ago I was really cheap, and would reload if I lost more than 1 good soldier in a battle. Now that my time is more valuable than my soldiers ^_^ I let them drop. Totals might be more like 30-40 I guess, haven't played a full game in a while.

I admit it, I treat rookies like sand on the beach. Laser Rifles, personel armour and a grenade. That's all they get. If the situation looks bad, I dont even attemp to pull them back: I just blaster bomb the place and run in a couple of medics to scrap any survivors off the walls. :explode:
I keep my core soldiers in the rear, working blaster launchers and picking off any aliens that survive my waves of rookies. Of course this tactic would never work early in the game so then I have my troops search the map in groups of one or two. I develop terrian specific tactics to suit my maximum bloodshed approach. Sure it's ulgy, and I must admit that I lose a lot of troops, but at Cydonia I have about 15 guys with 80 TUs, 70 health, 50 missions, and 7 kills each, couple them with my "Simple Soldier" with around a hundred kills and outragous stats. I'm losing at most two on the surface and one in the base. Maybe two more if you count HWPs. Well that's my strategy, it's not qiute as costly as it sounds, so I'd say about 70-80 troops dead per game.

• 1 month later...
Hm, if I make a projection based on that etheral base attack yesterday... I had to write 17 letters to random families, only three badly injured survivors, and 3 out of 4 laser tanks blew up while saving my day (and my base)

I'll probably end up with more than 100 dead, previously brave, men and women.

That's on superhuman, or at least should be (xcomutil does fix the difficulty bug, does it?), with no excessive save/load orgies like I used them before. Edited by Thranritter

• 1 month later...
You know what, mind control really does suck, but not when your the one doing the controling!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
It all depends on how often you reload your games. If you reload after every soldier dies, then you won't loose any; but if you don't care about your rookies, then you'll rack up 30-50. It doesn't depend on how good you are (but it will show on how often you have to reload)! :D

• 2 weeks later...
It depends on the race I'm facing and where I'm fighting them (obviously). I'm more likely to lose a lot of soldiers at a battleship full of Ethereals than at a small scout with a sectoid in it.

But in average, not too many, I'd have to estimate about 25%.

[quote name='Jenny' date='Oct 31 2003, 07:52 PM']You keep count? ;)[/quote]
Of course you do! ^_^ There aren't many ways to judge your success rate in X-COM, and keeping track of how many soldiers you loose is one way. Also, I think it's nice to know how much I suck (My last time I lost 14). ^_^ I reloaded alot.... I though that I wasn't going to reload anymore! :cussing:

BTW, what happened to us formatting the Forum to the "X-COM theme" instead of this "Blue" theme? Wasn't that being worked on 2 weeks ago? :huh?:

Oh, yes now I remember this poll. The one I've never vote. Never count bodies, though. Last time it was at about 1 per mission and there were about 20 missions... (But that's only guessing so I won't vote anyway)

I am a reload whore!!!! God I have a problem...

At the beginning stages... when i see 3 rookies miss every single snap or auto shot on ONE alien, i just GOTTA reload. it pisses me off and it makes the game super unrealistic when your guys cant hit the barn... much less the alien inside of it, while the aliens get super sniper dudes.

Then l8er in the game i just get soooooo attached to my awsome guys i CANT LET THEM DIE... i love them, each of them. <3

But i have no problem expending the rookies i named "Teh Suxors", all i give them is a stun rod. Edited by Trevelyan

[quote name='insie' date='Nov 6 2003, 04:38 PM']Alot for me, I only use 4 of'em for everything so the others are expendable which happens alot since i use them to scout whenever they attack my base.[/quote]
Harsh! Rookies have feelings too.

• 3 weeks later...
I've adapted from my loading syndrome by genericly naming people according to the roles i want them to fill (Rifle Man, Heavy Weapons Guy, Scout, Sniper, Medic/Grenadier) and just plow through the rookies... tons and tons and tons of rookies... millions of them, if at the end of a mission i find i have almost all my rookies, i tell my better rookies to shoot the inferior rookies (MC or paniced or low stats) so they dont get promoted and infect my superior soldier gene pool.

Usually it is like 1 ubar sniper dude in a flying suit, and 13 rookies in T-shirts/personal armor (depending on the financial situation) with lasers, and just blow through the level.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Nov 24 2003, 04:46 PM']And then an alien gets lucky and launches a blaster bomb into your skyranger on the first turn! :)[/quote]
and there won't be anyone in there... since my first turn is before there's and you can't lunch blaster bombs in others turns...

So you get all your men out of minimum blaster bomb radius your first turn? What happens if you are surrounded by cyberdiscs or something?

Also note: Throughout the game, my average soldier loss rate is 85-100 per game year. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

maybe I'm a little more attached to my men, and if they hit inside the spaceship (on level 2) it's above my men, and nothing should happen (never tried it though)... I'm a very cautious player when it comes to X-Com I just love my men so much... And I won't listen to you, I won't, they won't die, and I will keep them all to the end... :whatwhat: They won't die... :whatwhat: WON'T...

I chose 91-100, but I think I lose more than 100 soldiers in some games so this last option should be "91+"

I always play as superhuman and never reload, but still I'm careless too. If I'm at the snakemen terrorsite at night and I have one rookie left, and I think there's only about one or two chryssalids left somewhere, I won't save the skyranger, I go and find those buggers :hammer:

Usually just before I get avenger, I have a skyranger number 4 or 5 already :D Of course I'm never as careless with avenger but if I'd loose one because of blasterbomb or something, I wouldn't load. That's what I love about this game, You can have few terrible months in a row and have some really tough months because there's no money (all money spent to new skyrangers, weapons, soldiers) and still you can rise to the victory!! :happybanana:

I hope we have the skills to make the xenocide in the same way!

Btw. I almost never see a soldier with 90+ timeunits or 60+ strength. Even at cydonia most of my men/women are rookies in every game (of course they are psi-trained but have 0 mission experience) :LOL:

[quote name='X-Clu-Zif' date='Nov 25 2003, 05:22 PM']isn't max time units 81... without cheating that is... at least I believe it was so in the original dos version...[/quote]
I'm 100% sure the limit wasn't 81. I had a bought version of x-com enemy unknown dos version (then I lost one diskette) :crying: Back then I was a loader and I had soliders with 255 timeunits. IIRC, if you went over 255, it started from 50 again :cussing: It was hilarious to have an excellent soldier (everything other 80-100 but timeunits 50 :LOL:

I'm not sure about CE though, haven't got it to work well on my computer.. not YET at least..

First of all. New here, nice to meet everyone, and that's the extent of a hi I'm a newbie post I'll bother you with.

Back when X-com first came out I had a truely appaling casualty rate. Every rookie I got I named maggot, equiped him with a lazer rifle and a gernade (they wouldn't even get alien gernades) and then would send them to fight terror missions with my highest ranking officer sitting in the avenger to boot moral. I'd routinely loose 14 or 15 in a mission. Any that survived however would almost always get promoted to squaddie at which point I'd actually look at their stats and give them a name if it seemed like they were decent enough. I was also an afinado of the suicide squads. Give the lousy squaddies an alien gernade prime it and run them into enclosed spaces.

I've refined my tactics a bit now and apart from catastrophic desasters involveing blaster bombs or chrysalids I usually manage to keep my casualty rate down around 20 or so in a game.