XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Is Your Average Soldier Loss Rate?

Deimos

What is your average soldier loss rate?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use rookies as scouts and shields :naughty: so I don't wonder why I lose so many "soldats"..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hmm, its sad when you *think* you see the whole corridor. You spot ONE mutton but when you shoot him... oops 2 more heavy armed muttons behind him.

Have a mutton battleship attack your base, put all the speeds to max, then press the end turn button 5 times without doing anything. Try and survive....

In the next game, i will try to care less about rokiees. And not so many loadings. I want to keep it so i save at the start of each battle, and if one of following events happen, i load.

1)4 or more rokiees die.
2)3 squaddies die.
3)2 Sargants-captains die.
4)1 Cpl.-commander die.
5)I do something stupid (blowing up reactors, killing all the civilians).

I think my best is about 5 on Beginner..........I keep trying the harder modes but that bug sucked!
Tho i found a funky prog that allowed me to "edit" some weapon values :D now i get about 180 deaths or so a game!
(imagine a pistol with the 250dmg and high exlosive on rookies :devillaugh: )

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't voted yet. But I'm heading for the 91-100. I just started my first xcom Ironman Superhuman game, after being ashamed of having to tell I save and reload alot (in another thread). I've done four crashes/landings and 1 terror mission. I'm on februari 2nd and my total casualty rating is already 10. Seeing to how many mission I'm still gonna have to play and that the stronger aliens still have to arrive (and colonies!). I'm guessing I'll reach the 100 by the end of the game.

If anyone has hints for Ironman superhuman games please tell, or point me threads. Although I like Xcom 2 more I chose xcom 1 for this game because the lobsters and alien bases in tftd just seemed too *%@# to try in ironman.

Exactly 40 men on Veteran with no reloading. Most of them were rookies who were hired for opening doors and body guarding officers inside UFOs. Depending on ranks soldiers were issued with different armour types:
Rookies & Squaddies: T-shirts (sometimes Personal Armour they wear is worth more than them)
Sergeants: Personal Armours
Captains: Power Armours
Colonels & Commanders: Flying Suits
Commander's Bodyguard: Flying Suit (Guy with high Reactions and Accuracy, at least Captain)
PSI Squad: Power Armours (Personal Armour is too lousy and Flying Suit is too expensive. These guys sit in Skyranger mostly anyways.)

I never used any of them as kamikaze.

I can say that my list of deaths is very very low. I am a reloader. Simple. I have never beaten the game, and play on the easier levels. In short I am not very good at the game, but I get so attached to my soldiers that I USUALLY reload after every death. That said, if there is only one alien left and he kills a man, but gets killed himself by a vengeful friend in the same turn and the mission is over, I tend to let it go.

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Apr 18 2004, 09:12 AM'][quote]I never used any of them as kamikaze.[/quote]
you never entered a medium scout? [/quote]
I mean I never equiped any with primed proximity grenades, heave explosives and such. <_< I have to admit I tend to keep rookies in front of more experienced soldiers while fighting inside UFOs, and I use rookies for opening UFO doors. :P

My "loss rate" depends on the stage of the game I'm in.

In UFO, I would lose from a couple to ten soldiers before getting personal armour, laser rifles and medi-kits (standard X-Com uniform for me, along with a grenade and a proximity grenade). Between that point to power suits, I may lose another ten, mostly on terror missions. Once I get real armour I drop my fatality rate to a couple soldiers per month, usually rookies in high risk actions (predictable deaths, so to speak). One I get PSI POWAH, I restart the game, for it's too easy and repetitive to go on (that abilities along with blaster launchers spoil all the fun in the game).

In Terror From The Deep I mantain a constant death toll as the game progresses, thanks to lobster men, tasoths and, in artifact and base missions, the dreaded Lovecraft/King worshiping tentaculats. This sequel (I prefer to call it "mission pack") gets ridiculously though, as opposed to the original game. I have only finished TFTD a couple times on superhuman.

:D Hurray! I got the bug fixed (Love you XComUtil!)

Did a superhuman and was heading for a nice 20ish ppl died! ^_^

.....cept just as I was loading me Avenger (Bring it on Cydonia!) I had a terror mission..... :crying: Damn Frenchies!

...... <_< lost another 7 soldiers in one go.. :cussing: Chysilid (SP? HOW IS IT SPELT!) + rookie kit = 2 Chysilids + dead rookie

Rookie kit = Plasma pistol, alien grenade, motion scanner :boohoo:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='mikker' date='Apr 24 2004, 06:20 PM']i just tried the game without loading. Killed in action: 8. Missions: 1 :P

superhuman of course.[/quote]
Yep, that's about my average mission loss rate :D Of course it gets better over time when you get hovertanks and flyingsuits and better weapons. Not to mention after getting psi-amp I never lose even one soldier.

my soldier loss rate is either 0 or exponential. depending what mood im in. i find it entertaining sending my guys into guys with blasters.

• 2 months later...
I must say I'm also trying to get rid of my "Reload Addiction"... I now only do it when it all goes horribly wrong...
(HWP are expensive in the first month, however... rookies are not...)
I still have to ramp up to Superhuman, haven't done that in ten years...
Back in those days, there were no caps on TU,s so when the guy with 200+ TUs got flamed by reaction fire, it really pissed off...
I must say it became quite unrealistic when a guy could MC 12 aliens in a turn... Far too easy...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest General Snoopy
Just finished a campaign on BEGINNER. They call me the "butcher." My loss rate was 66: 11 sergeants and 55 squaddies/rookies. There were two reloads when my alien base missions went horribly wrong.

I tried the game at higher difficulty levels but I keep losing in the first month.

Too many losses to mind control freaks. On one ethereal battleship mission, the vile things nailed 5 out of 11 of my precious soldiers by getting them to kill each other.

I repeat, not a single soldier died from a weapon fired by an ethereal, they died shooting each other.

At least, on that mission. >.>

In any event, I only reload when my Ultimate Weapon gets killed or when I decide I really shouldn't have gone on that Terror Ship raid. heh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Playing on Superhuman my overall losses for a game which usually is 9-12 months long is between 40 and 60 men. That is without reloading at all for any reason whatsoever. The losses mount up quickly too. (On my first Terror mission 9 guys were killed)
I think that amount is pretty realistic, and usually have 2or 3 of the original eight guys left at the end for Cydonia.

• 1 month later...
So far I've lost more than 10 but less than 20, it's been about 3 or 4 months now. I usually end up losing one per mission, and I only lost one on a Snakeman Terror Site. And that was only because it snuck up behind us.

6 man teams in oblong formats are -especially- lethal, believe you me, against anything in Urban areas. Move them forward slowly, Pers Armour and Heavy Plasmas, they can take down just about anything.

Mind you, so can my Hovertank/Plasma :)

EDIT: Now the buggers are using Blaster Bombs, I'm usually losing at least 10 troops per base assualt --; Edited by Exo2000

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The losses depend on how I play. With saving or without? As for the first one, it goes for 0 deaths but that's not a great trick... needs patience sometimes but no biggie.

My mate and I are going to have a run through UFO&TFTD in one session, no saving. We'll see about losses there :whip:

• 2 years later...

Well over 300... on beginner. I pick two guys who I name point and sniper. both stick in or right next to the dropship usually sniper sits on the ammo dump while point sits at the bottom of the ramp in a crouch with aimed reaction on and armed with a heavy laser, he kills all threats to 'sniper'. sniper waits for rookies packed with explosives to find aliens and create straight paths to them. at this point said rookie usually dies, if however he survives he moves next to alien and detonates saving sniper from having to do anything. I always have the dropship packed with blaster launcher ammo in case all rookies die before all aliens die... then sniper creates paths to aliens by using said blaster launcher ammo to destroy anything blocking line of site. Sniper usually lasts the whole game although I do have to replace point every now and then

Z2(rookies=dead men walking)

In SuperHuman ironman* I am losing between 1-6 soldiers per mission. More with psionic aliens. Twice I lost 13 people and just managed to get the last panicking soldier back to the sky ranger for dust off. I lost one base with 14 people when I couldn't defend it against a sectiod attack. (I posted that save game as a challenge in another thread). By the time I get to the end of the game I expect to have lost over 1,000 men.

Even just sticking to the "softer targets" and avioding engagements with Etherials and Crysalids I don't see how people can keep the deaths so low without a lot of reloading.

I have a base in Kinshasa that's next to a snakeman base in the jungle. I am taking down the supply ships regularly. However this squad sees a lot of casualties on downed UFO missions. I call this base "The Meat Grinder" now. Rookies assigned her have a life expectancy of about two weeks.

Oddly my main base at Paris, France doesn't have this problem. They cleanup just as many downed UFO's and have identical equpiment, but they just seem to live a lot longer. I have so many officers there now I am going to have to re-assign half the base to balance things out. They don't have better stats than the people at the other bases for the most part. Just luckier. They seem to survive plasma shots and dodge blaster bombs with aplomb.

-D

*No reloads unless I make a major misclick on the battlescape. Say I accidently wipe out my whole squad on turn one with a misclick. Yes, I have done this.

In SuperHuman ironman* I am losing between 1-6 soldiers per mission. More with psionic aliens. Twice I lost 13 people and just managed to get the last panicking soldier back to the sky ranger for dust off. I lost one base with 14 people when I couldn't defend it against a sectiod attack. (I posted that save game as a challenge in another thread). By the time I get to the end of the game I expect to have lost over 1,000 men.

Even just sticking to the "softer targets" and avioding engagements with Etherials and Crysalids I don't see how people can keep the deaths so low without a lot of reloading.

I have a base in Kinshasa that's next to a snakeman base in the jungle. I am taking down the supply ships regularly. However this squad sees a lot of casualties on downed UFO missions. I call this base "The Meat Grinder" now. Rookies assigned her have a life expectancy of about two weeks.

Oddly my main base at Paris, France doesn't have this problem. They cleanup just as many downed UFO's and have identical equpiment, but they just seem to live a lot longer. I have so many officers there now I am going to have to re-assign half the base to balance things out. They don't have better stats than the people at the other bases for the most part. Just luckier. They seem to survive plasma shots and dodge blaster bombs with aplomb.

-D

*No reloads unless I make a major misclick on the battlescape. Say I accidently wipe out my whole squad on turn one with a misclick. Yes, I have done this.

1-6 is pretty common for me IF

1. I am not hawking the TUs or using constant low-profile fire team movement, scout/sniper teams, etc.

2. I do not effectively illuminate the battlefield or cover all flanks or use smoke on the turn before disembarking

3. I don't have psionics and the aliens do (I have written up anti-psionic strategies that work well)

4. I am raiding a UFO without a Power Suit/AC-HE trooper (or stun bombs), best for clearing crowded rooms at close range

5. I am not raising enough he11 to reduce morale before the enemy blaster trooper gets a clear path to my concentrated troops

6. I let soldiers bleed to death rather than using medkits and the buddy system

7. There are chrysalids, cyberdiscs, or sectopods and I'm not perfectly on point with each of the above

If I avoid all the above pitfalls, I tend to keep losses remarkably low for Superhuman. I've played enough to know how badly Superhuman can overwhelm even aggressive players, who often resolve themselves to expect 50% casualties or more. I regret seeing soldiers die and take every measure to ensure their survival. There are ways to reduce casualties, and the more measures you take the more the kill ratio shifts in your favor. Sometimes I get lazy, and that's when mistakes happen and mistakes are usually casualties. This means on a bad mission I usually lose 1-6. I rarely, if ever, get wiped out or dust off. I can't remember the last time I dusted off but it was after the last time I got wiped out, which was before I stopped reloading, which was close to a year ago.

I even have an "Iron Woman" game in which I have a few dozen powerful psionics, all female. Many are highly trained and decorated. This means 75% of all soldiers I have hired in this game (since starting the psionics program) have been culled out for gender, and then another 75% or so for psionics. Of course, psionics makes this sort of thing possible. In that game, I don't lose any of my girls. They are supported by 3-4 blaster tanks and almost never leave the ship.

Definitely reassign those officers. Rookies need commanding officers. A captain in the ship will help keep rookies in the field from panicking. xcomutil can put officers in the back if you tell it.

You maybe know all of this stuff already. I guess the remedy for high casualties is just to focus on reducing casualties. I learned a lot of what I know now from reloading; now I use a lot of redundant measures that equate to saving myself from reloading ahead of time. This doesn't always work, as that alien commander may blast your death squad after a ballet of all the above mentioned tactics.

Edited by Warface

1-6 is pretty common for me IF

1. I am not hawking the TUs or using constant low-profile fire team movement, scout/sniper teams, etc. check - got this covered

2. I do not effectively illuminate the battlefield or cover all flanks or use smoke on the turn before disembarking check - got this covered

3. I don't have psionics and the aliens do (I have written up anti-psionic strategies that work well) this is happening a lot

4. I am raiding a UFO without a Power Suit/AC-HE trooper (or stun bombs), best for clearing crowded rooms at close range negative - still have personal armor

5. I am not raising enough he11 to reduce morale before the enemy blaster trooper gets a clear path to my concentrated troops check - got this covered (mostly)

6. I let soldiers bleed to death rather than using medkits and the buddy system negative - need to research medkits

7. There are chrysalids, cyberdiscs, or sectopods and I'm not perfectly on point with each of the above negative - Cyberdiscs have been a major factor in my losses.

I do know most of this stuff, but haven't played on SH before. You have some good points I want to try.

I am using missile launchers to do crowd control. Hard on the UFO tech, but effective on the bad guys.

I have read your anti-psionic strategies and they are working well. (dropping weapons every turn)

I should have medkits by now, but I kept putting it off. I could have saved a few people that way.

I am having a really hard time with cyberdiscs since I don't have blaster bombs yet. They are mostly in the ships or in my base where I can't get a clear line of fire and thier reaction fire cuts me up.

My last massive loss mission was 10 people with lasers and one missile tank v.s. a downed Muton supply ship in the desert. The Ranger touched down behind the ship next to a big dune. I couldn't get deployed (didn't bring smoke) in a way that I could deal with the bad guys on the dune. I had to dust off when I was down to one man. I wish I would have saved this one to try over.

Currently I have Ethereals and Sectopods in one of my major bases. One missile tank, a bunch of laser rifles and missile launchers. It's not going well. My people are all panicked every turn and the sectopods, well, it's ugly. I think I will lose the base, but I have enough cash and other bases to keep going easily.

-D

I am having a really hard time with cyberdiscs since I don't have blaster bombs yet. They are mostly in the ships or in my base where I can't get a clear line of fire and thier reaction fire cuts me up.

Cyberdiscs have a nasty habit of finding a little cubby in which to lurk and ambush. When they do this you can often clear the rest of the map before coming back to their ambush spot (such as a hangar or terror ship murder hole). You can even take the time to organize a squad by pooling supplies or going back to your storeroom for extra explosives, etc. A 4-man fire team (or what is left of your whole squad after killing everything else) can usually split into twos and perform a pincer with 25% or less casualties.

Basically you need to be able to move a bunch of expendable men at two or more different angles into firing lines, with a lot of TUs left, on the same turn. The first man to fire, if he is in range, is likely to die. Hopefully this will take more than one shot from the disc and all four soldiers will get a shot or burst. Always fire with the guys who are the farthest away first if they have line of fire. The Disc should burn up all its TUs on one or two soldiers; three is unlikely but possible if it is lurking overhead. It's a big probability game, and we are trying to stack various probabilities in our favor.

My last massive loss mission was 10 people with lasers and one missile tank v.s. a downed Muton supply ship in the desert. The Ranger touched down behind the ship next to a big dune. I couldn't get deployed (didn't bring smoke) in a way that I could deal with the bad guys on the dune. I had to dust off when I was down to one man. I wish I would have saved this one to try over.

OK, I hope I don't sound too condescending here, but this seems like something a lot of people overlook (I don't mean specifically smoke grenades or even forgetting equipment--I do it too) (Bear with me here). I'm going to briefly go off on a tangent that I think has a lot to do with my general success on Superhuman. I honestly don't think people are somehow lacking here except in knowledge/experience.

Now I am no soldier in real life (college guy working on degree number two), but I have done a lot of serious research on war and picked up a lot of real knowledge shared among the masters. Most of the same psychology applies in business, except it's all about profit and property instead of kill ratios (...and property...wait... not that much difference, then, hmm...).

What I am "specifically" referring to here is the logistical layer, the largest and most over-arching part of war (above, and fundamental to, strategy and tactics) that makes or breaks an army in the long term.

In real life, logistics refers mostly to the large scale management of material (or even information), but it also applies all the way down to the soldier and his bullets. A general needs to know before sending his men into battle that they aren't going to run out of whatever it is that they need. In X-Com this means always having a few extra explosives on hand, along with flares, smoke grenades, etc. and whenever you get the message that you are running out, buy double or more what you plan to put on the ship. This is especially tricky in X-Com due to the 80 item limit, and even more so in base defense.

If I have anything else to contribute to the UFOpaedia (Zombie, NKF, JFG, and others have done most of it already--I just added a couple of things for posterity), it would be a whole section on logistics. Item management and troop loadout make strategy and tactics possible.

It's a big numbers game of reducing casualties on the battlefield, and keeping everyone supplied is a part of that.

Of course I had to make a lot of mistakes before getting to the point that I feel like I know what someone else is doing wrong. I don't do all these things right either but lately it's seemed like I've had endless tricks up my sleeves for these situations. I've had to huddle behind the Skyranger a few times for lack of smoke. I lost 4 soldiers and a tank on one mission in early game, two days ago, and I considered it a successful failure.

Currently I have Ethereals and Sectopods in one of my major bases. One missile tank, a bunch of laser rifles and missile launchers. It's not going well. My people are all panicked every turn and the sectopods, well, it's ugly. I think I will lose the base, but I have enough cash and other bases to keep going easily.

-D

Your only hope here would be to have launcher carriers and missile carriers, and hope that you get a couple of guys free long enough to toss someone a loaded launcher and kill some of those b1tches. Obviously don't keep a loaded launcher in hand when ending your turn.

Also, If anyone has resisted psi this long, have them get their hands on laser or plasma. Keep them behind the psi-dummies, using the panicked ones to spot aliens for the resistant ones to shoot at. Those guys can also carry explosives to prime and toss to any dummy scout who currently has TUs. Tossing stuff around the map can sometimes save the day,

Cyberdiscs are the biggest stumbling blocks at the start of the game - especially if you're playing superhuman. But as I've recommended before and will continue to recommend: High explosives can solve anything! ;)

Brute force with big explosive weapons (and to a degree, the ACHE's) does lack finesse and can destroy equipment, but you seriously don't want to worry about how cool you are at knocking out a battleship out of orbit with a pistol hip shot - just how effective you are. At the start, having some good experience under your belt is just as if not more important than gathering up free equipment.

With cyberdiscs, try to lure them out into the open so that you can get a few long range potshots in to disable or knock it out completely. It's hard to fight them in cubbyholes as pointed out. If you know where they are but think it's too hard to engage them directly, hang back, set up a suitable defensive or ambush location and let them come to you or just wait a turn or two until they've moved to a more favourable position. Depending on the situation, patience can sometimes be more effective them blowing them away the moment they're spotted.

Employ the scout/sniper strategy heavily when tackling them in any situation. The scout only spots and does not engage the target. The snipers hang back well beyond the disc's visual radius and fire potshots (or kneeled aimed large rockets for preference).

Don't forget the high explosive. One well placed charge often annihilates even superhuman cyberdiscs. If you manage to spot one behind a wall or on top of a roof, toss a high explosive towards it and run for safety.

- NKF

Aye, as he says, it's all about smart positioning more than anything else, combining the spotter-sniper technique with having your fireteams in the right position to lay effective fire. Granted, the laser rifle isn't the most accurate at the best of times, let alone in the hands of a rookie (as your guys would probably be when discs appear), so it's all the more important to move your men in teams. Don't let one wander off by himself if you can help it. And, while I hadn't realsised until now, but NKF makes a good point.....discs seem more than happy to find one good firing position and sit there the whole game, no matter how much fire you throw at them.

My most recent defining cyberdisc moment was on an early-game night terror mission (just a couple of laser pistols and not much else aside from standard gear). My lead scout (now my best room-clearer) wandered across three of them and two sectoids holed up in a warehouse, and upon ducking into the street, took fire from two more discs across the road. He survived, but rather than give chase, the discs kept him pinned (by potential reaction fire) for half the game. It wasn't until I could get a HiEx charge to him (and my rocket launchers cleared the street) that he was free. Then I stacked one fireteam up to storm the main entrance of the warehouse while I sent another team around back.

At this point, I was very lucky to not lose more men. My entry squad (mason and pierce, I think) ended up being pinned in that little corner side office with the stairs (which I would've used, had they not been shot to heck, along with most of the wall). Pierce ended up ducking back and forth behind his tiny bit of cover, drawing fire while my other guys threw 'splosives. Even then, I had to finish one off with a point blank burst of laser-pistol fire.

The only reason my whole squad didn't get minced is because I was given all the time in the world to get into position. Pretty much any other species tends to actively hunt you out as far as I can tell.

edit:

Oh, and since even now I still make the mistake on occasion (I'm lazy and impatient), I'll say it loud n' clear.

ALWAYS use smoke. It saves lives, dude, seriously. One smoke grenade is probably worth more than a whole squad equipped with medikits.

Edited by Munkeh

I stick by my statement that playing a entire game on superhuman with ironman* rules means it would be very tricky to win the game with less than 100 deaths.

On the other hand I am finding Superhuman to be an actual challenge. I think I am winning, but a couple more base losses and I might not be able to keep my score up enough.

* I do cheat and reload right before a base assault to do spring cleaning.

... just wait a turn or two until they've moved to a more favourable position. Depending on the situation, patience can sometimes be more effective them blowing them away the moment they're spotted.

I waited 100 turns and it wouldn't come out of it's hidey hole. :( I also find they tend to stay put inside terror ships if they are on the second floor.

A 4-man fire team (or what is left of your whole squad after killing everything else) can usually split into twos and perform a pincer with 25% or less casualties.

Law of Combat: If the enemy can't get in, you can't get out. There was only one passage and he had that covered. After waiting 100 turns I realized the aliens were going to starve me out.

Your only hope here would be to have launcher carriers and missile carriers, and hope that you get a couple of guys free long enough to toss someone a loaded launcher and kill some of those b1tches. Obviously don't keep a loaded launcher in hand when ending your turn.

I tried this. I never got anyone unpanicked. In fact, after about 100 turns of constant panick, I aborted.

OK, I hope I don't sound too condescending here, but this seems like something a lot of people overlook (I don't mean specifically smoke grenades or even forgetting equipment--I do it too) (Bear with me here).

Leaving the smoke behind was a choice for me on this mission. My supply chain is in good shape. I had done the same mission, with the same loadout successfully several times. It just turns out there is one particularly brutal starting setup for a supply ship in the desert with a sky ranger that I hadn't seen before. I have since changed my tactics to keep at least two smokes on the ranger at all times. Smoke is a no brainer for terror missions.