XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Interesting uses for Terrestrial Tech?

QuixotesGhost

Back when I first played X-Com I'd just load up everyone with Heavy Plas and be done with it. Recently though I've been experimenting with a lot of different load-outs - in particular I appreciate just how cost-effective terrestrial explosive weapondry is. Indiscriminate fire around where an alien might be at is pretty much what it excels at. I'm still taking Rocket Launchers and ACs despite having blaster bombs, since I don't want to waste those precious rounds just because a barn looks suspect. I'll happily toss a rocket and two High-Exs at it though.

I'm curious what Earth-Based technology you use right up until the endgame and for what reasons?

I've also been fiddling around with smoke grenades too. I'm thinking of keeping a primed smoke grenade in the shoulder slot of my scouts so if they get themselves in a bad situation they can drop it at thier feet for 3 TUs. Basically - "NINJA VANISH!" And if I'm correct, this is an action that will not draw reaction fire. Anyone else tried this?

Edited by QuixotesGhost

If you're dropping a smoke bomb, remember that you have less cover standing in the middle of a smoke cloud than if the whole cloud is between you and the aliens. Basically, drop, then try to put as much distance between you and your foe. That said, sometimes it may be safer to risk the slightly lesser cover so that you have all-round cover in the event you're unsure about what's out around you (at night, for example, and your scout's ran too far into the unknown).

As for terrestrial tech in the late game where better tech is available:

Rockets and high explosives, as you've noticed, are the most economic big-bang makers available. Always handy. Also when used indoors (wear power suits, and keep your distance!), great for attacking enemies hidden behind corners.

Autocannon - multiple applications with its HE and Incendiary rounds later on. Especially when paired up with power or flying suits (short range burst attacks!). The HE rounds are also useful for shooting up at the ceiling in the event you've busted the only way up and haven't got a flying suit. Or a cheesy way to finish off some alien campers in the bigger UFO. This application is more useful in TFTD with its land based missions where you cannot fly and stairs are very fragile.

Both the AC and Heavy Cannon with incendiary rounds are portable temporary light sources if you haven't go room to carry enough electro flares.

Pistol - Reaction training galore, plus its fun to have really well trained veteran soldiers use it to take down weak aliens carrying bigger and scarier weapons. ;)

- NKF

Hmmm, I have a question in relation to those smoke grenades. The main benefit I see of using them this way is that it allows the scout to perform a defensive action which does not draw reaction fire. However, my question is:

My scout is wandering about and spots an alien about 10 or 12 tiles away. They are mutually suprised. Alien has full TUs. I drop my primed smoke grebade on the ground and hit end turn. Does the smoke grenade go off immediately or does the alien get to use his TUs in reaction fire while he can still see my soldier before it officially becomes the alien's turn?

Another relevant question - How close does an alien need to be to see a soldier standing in the middle of a smoke cloud right after the grenade has gone off?

Edited by QuixotesGhost

as for terrestial weapons, which I use from the beginning to the end

only High Explosive grenades stands the test of time :)

useful for removing obstacles, like barns, or houses, etc

one of my favourite technique ( and rather costly, cause less loot will be recovered )

is to throw HE grenades inside medium/large scouts through ... roofs ^_^

terrestial weapons that I use the most is ... laser rifle

but they must be researched/manufactured of course, and are not explosives :D

in the later stages of the game, I heavily use standard pistols for training reactions and firing accuracy

as for smoke grenades

range in which alien can see you varies each turn

in the first turn smoke grenade explodes, its smoke screen gives you quite much cover

alien must be within only few squares away ( ~4 ) to see you

it gets a bit worse with each new turn after that

details you can find in the link below

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Smoke_Grenade

and example how to use smoke grenades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQf6Z3txY60

yarrow

Edited by yarrow

For the smoke grenade detonations, if you set the timer to 0, then the explosion occurs just before the alien turn starts. If set to 1, it will explode immediately after the alien turn but before your turn starts. In your scenario, the smoke grenade exploding isn't a reaction fire trigger event, so your soldier should be safe until the alien turn officially starts.

- NKF