XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How to execute unconscious aliens?

noonesshowmonkey

As the title says, how do you kill aliens once you have KOed them?

I am farming a Snakeman base for elerium and keep running into Chrysallids. I pound them down with laser rifles and heavy plasma, but one in four or so is just knocked out. They are massive area denial timebombs like that; I can't go near them until they wake up and I put them down for real real.

I remember being able to kill KOed aliens on the ground? Other than copious amounts of explosives (which Chryssalids are resistant to), I can't seem to manage that in this game.

Halp?

Unconscious units die instantly when subjected to a nearby HE blast. Use basic grenades, or bring an Autocannon with HE belts with you just for this job. Move the body or pick up any nearby equipment first.

Alternately, there's one trick I've been using in TFTD a lot recently, and that's reviving aliens that were merely knocked unconscious just to shoot them again. :D If you've got some spare medikits, put the stimulants to good use and ensure the Chryssalid is taken out of the picture.

I take it you're attacking the base for extra experience and farming it of equipment? If you just stick to the supply ship the chryssalids shouldn't be a problem.

- NKF

Not really what I wanted to hear, but I'll stick with grenades.

The most recent scenario was a downed Terrorship with around 8 chryssalids aboard and in the environs. I KOed 4 of them. What a pain in the donkey.

Some commanders blow away all nearby buildings with rockets at the start of a scenario (so that they can't hide). and some use proximity grenades inside alien ships which have corridors. At night, electro-flares make them visible from a greater distance.

I'm sure you know that using a hyperwave decoder will show whether it's a snakeman mission.

Not really what I wanted to hear, but I'll stick with grenades.

The most recent scenario was a downed Terrorship with around 8 chryssalids aboard and in the environs. I KOed 4 of them. What a pain in the donkey.

Some commanders blow away all nearby buildings with rockets at the start of a scenario (so that they can't hide). and some use proximity grenades inside alien ships which have corridors. At night, electro-flares make them visible from a greater distance.

I'm sure you know that using a hyperwave decoder will show whether it's a snakeman mission.

SOP for dealing with cover is to remove the cover. Solves the problem 99% of the time.

SOP for mission planning is to arrive during daylight hours if at all possible.

SOP for night missions is to deploy with n=soldiers electro-flares.

SOP for dealing with Chryssalids is to avoid using HE damage, as this will only knock them out and not kill, causing the target to become something of a timebomb (with eggs).

Addendum: Unconscious aliens respond poorly to HE. New SOP: unconscious aliens are finished with a live grenade, preferably earth-standard to avoid loss of nearby equipment.

SOP for X-COM listening posts is to deploy Hyper-Wave decoders as soon as research and funding permit.

:D

In short, my men are killing machines.

• 4 weeks later...

Heavy plasma is your friend. Especially on Superhuman. Two or three blaster bombs might not be enough but a face full of plasma usually does the trick.

The trick is to get your people spread out in an effective firing arc and make good use of scouts. Removing all cover is warranted when chrysalids are present.