XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hovertank/Launcher HWP Fusion Bomb Base Defense bug

So I finally got tired of daily Ethereal Battleship attacks on my 3rd base, and took down all my plasma defenses. A base defense mission ensued, naturally. This is a small base, so I went into it minimally staffed with soldiers (3-4 spotters, 2 psi-warriors) and one Hovertank/Launcher. After crushing the enemy (seeing an ethereal leader panic is one of the most gratifying things I've ever witnessed in a game) I went to check how many Fusion Bombs I had left. To my surprise, it was quite a lot. I didn't recall making that many??

So I let another couple base attacks occur in the next couple months, as I was having quite a lot of fun crushing ethereals. Now, I'm up to 27 Fusion Bombs, 5 more than I had before the last base defense.

It turns out that however many Fusion bombs I have left in the tank AFTER the mission concludes get added to the previous total I had prior to the base invasion.

So I start with 22 bombs + 9 in the Hovertank/Launcher. I fire 4 during the course of the base defense mission and end up with 27 after I win! LOL

I don't know if this is repeatable across games, but I do have an earlier game I played on beginner difficulty that I could test. The game I'm currently playing is on Veteran, though I don't see how that would affect this particular issue. I realize most people here probably play the pc version, but has anyone experienced this particular bug in their games?

Also, apologies if this is old news, but I didn't see anything about this anywhere..

I'm not sure about the doubling, but I do know that tanks always get initialised with a full load of ammo regardless of what is in stores. Because of this, you can buy rocket and fusion tanks and keep them at a base as defenders and not worry about stocking any ammo for them. When a base attack comes, they'll be armed and you get to keep whatever is left behind.

I assume the reason the ammo isn't consumed is because you only consume ammo when you load a tank onto a ship and when the game re-arms a tank (after returning the left-over ammo) that's already loaded on a ship. When the base attack hits, no ammo is consumed.

It's certainly a very convenient bug, and makes the fusion tank a worthy investment as a base defender.

- NKF

Thanks for the reply, NKF! I had no idea this occured because I previously always hid behind super high base defenses. This is a very convenient exploit, though I feel like a cheater now! So I suppose I could put minimal troops at my secondary bases and I dunno, 10-15 Hovertank/Launchers at each :D

I've already beaten the game on this difficulty anyway, I was just testing the Russia theory on the Playstation version. As of March 1, 2000 I only had Russia left funding me, and now I'm in April.

True, but you still have to earn the right to keep the ammo by keeping them alive and winning the mission. It's not so bad in the later game when fighting the aliens is much more routine than it was at the start of the game.

You only get 40 slots for your soldiers in the battle. Maximum would be between 8 ~ 10 tanks. Any extra won't appear. I recommend going for 1 ~ 3.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't even know about the maximum slots allowed during a base battle! I still have alot to learn.. Actually, I really haven't needed more than one tank, come to think of it. Overkill is fun sometimes though, and ending a base defense in one turn would be kind of novel, if that's even possible.

ending a base defense in one turn would be kind of novel, if that's even possible

it is VERY possible, even without Hovertank/Launchers

( 10 elite psi troopers for example )

I still have alot to learn

you do, if you didn't finish iron man run at least once B)

look at the bright side :)

you still have a LOT of fun ahead of you =b

please consider spending some time reading ufopaedia pages:

http://ufopaedia.org/

yarrow

Edited by yarrow

• 1 month later...

While on this subject, one Lets Play series I watched recently that I quite liked has this one that's very related:

Superhuman. One low bravery soldier, 2 hovertanks. Muton base defence mission. Outcome is brilliant.

- NKF

Edited by NKF