XCOMUFO & Xenocide

My X-Com: UFO Defense Perler Bead Sprites

I hope it's ok to post this here.. Perlers are colored plastic beads you place on a pegboard to make a pattern, picture, whatever, then iron with a household clothing iron to melt the beads together. It's mostly a kid's craft, but many people make video game bead sprites due to the beads' compatibility with pixelated sprite art.

I didn't see any X-Com related works out there, and decided I had to rectify this situation. Here are my results:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7377086092_b6ff6603a7.jpg

I am making more at the moment, and I'll update when I've finished!

Edited by siegfriedhaspanicked

Didn't realise you get those things in all sorts of different hues. Otherwise, they look great. Any plan on adding a few ground tiles for them to stand on? Like grass, or ufo floor panel?

- NKF

Didn't realise you get those things in all sorts of different hues. Otherwise, they look great. Any plan on adding a few ground tiles for them to stand on? Like grass, or ufo floor panel?

- NKF

Thanks. The beads come in about 60 colors, which is enough to do justice to most 16-bit projects. Floor tiles are a great idea, I might do that! The only problem comes with the inherent size of sprites. Heck, I even thought about doing a Skyranger or Avenger full of troops (as a single layer) but it would be about 2 1/2 feet long... I'd also like to make the Sectoid 'alien autopsy' pic, but again.. it would be the size of a tall midget.

Here is a symbolic picture for fans of X-Com.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7469351482_29ee1f961b_n.jpg

It wasn't a chryssalid that turned me into a zombie..

Edited by siegfriedhaspanicked

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...