XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Funding Makes No Sense

PixelKnight

I really don't understand how funding is supposed to work. I am supposedly supposed to be getting $5,815,000 in funds per month, yet I've only been getting about $2,900,000 a month. Also, this most recent game month, my funding was increased by $500,000 dollars, except I was only given a total of $700,000 for the month? What the heck is going on? It seriously makes absolutely no sense. I can't get by on $700,000 in a month? Is this some kind of glitch? Edited by PixelKnight

Have you deducted the expenses as well? As in base maintenance costs, salaries, leases on aircraft, etc.

Also note that bonuses and deductions gained at the end of the month aren't immediate. That is, they will be applied on the next pay period.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

If you've expanded with lots of new facilities too early, that can also eat up a big chunk of your council income. And if its with labs, the scientists alone can cost $1.5m per batch of 50, before other costs.

Don't rely too much on money provided by the Council of Funding Nations to get by. At first, yes it's fine, but Council funding will usually only be enough cover your maintenance and rental costs. Your biggest source of income is going to come from selling of alien artefacts that you do not need. Especially those surplus heavy plasmas.

You can also make a good amount of pocket money by manufacturing and selling profitable equipment like craft laser cannons, but it takes a bit of work and a bit of start-up cash as well.

- NKF

3llense'g, I haven't destroyed any facilities in this game thus far.

So far, I only have three bases. One that I wasted in the Pacific, since there is zero activity there yet (I'm hoping that will change -- but it also gives me a jump point to react to east Asia activity, which I've dealt with a little), but the other two are relatively centrally located, including one that I build in response to extremely heavy alien activity in South America. That base is still paying off. The two bases other than my first are extremely small, consisting of only some storage, a hanger, living quarters, radar, and an interceptor, and a few unused soldiers intended for future ground missions. Now I realize, I ought to fire these extra soldiers until they have an actual purpose.

My main base has a fair amount of expansion -- two more storage facilities, a large radar array, alien containment facility, and I think one extra living quarters. Three bases may have been excessive for the first year of the game, but I got a little carried away with the early fund surplus. So far, I only have 20 scientists and still the base 10 engineers total. Although I usually keep on at least 15 soldiers in my main base, in case some die in ground missions. I also keep a huge surplus of gear. I don't know if gear actually incurs maintenance costs or not.

NKF -- Those are awesome tips for a newbie player like me. I had intended on making a full fledged Research Base the next time I had the money to start it. I did not even realize that scientists, soldiers, and engineers require you to pay salaries. Of course that makes sense, but you cannot always use logic - especially with older games. Sadly, the Steam manual I read is rather scant on the details. I am always paranoid about Wikis too, since I hate even tiny spoilers. I wouldn't mind some more basic game rules like this, because there may be others I missed.

Also -- it never even occurred to me to try to sell alien artefacts for profits. I tend to horde inventory in all games I play as it is, so I doubt it would have been an idea that came to me for a very long time. Very awesome advice. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

A more direct look at why you're losing funds might also be helpful. Can you upload the save file anywhere?

- NKF

• 3 weeks later...

On the Base Information screen, there's a button that will show monthly costs. Write the cost down for each base, add them up, then subtract that total from the total Council funding, and the numbers should make sense. There is a bug with how the game calculates the base costs, but I've found the presented numbers are close enough.

If you're not selling stuff and have three bases, your expenses are probably running very close to your funding council amount...which means you'll have very little cash-on-hand (a couple hundred thousand dollars) at the beginning of each month.