XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Why are grenades more effective against reapers than HC-HE?

slickrcbd

I'm confused by something here. It seems that I can usually drop a reaper with a human grenade that is rated at HE50, but it takes two hits with the heavy cannon high explosive round that hits for HE52.

What's the deal with that?

Don't forget that you get to hit the Reaper an additional three more times at -10 damage thanks to their size, so you're dealing a heck of a lot of damage with either weapon.

The only explanation I can think of is that you've just been stung by the random number generator a few times, and its given the grenades a lucky break. Also if the centre of the explosions weren't exactly on a part of the Reaper, you might find most of the damage is being soaked up by its directional armour rather than its undersides. Quite likely to happen with the HC-HE if it misses but gets the Reaper with its splash damage.

- NKF

I know a few of the reapers took a hit or two from rifle bullet reaction fire, but I'd have to assume it's a combination of the random number generator and the front armor. Usually when I'm using the HC-HE, I'm shooting it right in the nose, while the grenade I tend to throw it so it goes off on it's rear end.

I target that because I'm thinking of "throw a grenade up it's a.."

4 things comes to my mind

( some are mentioned earlier by others )

1.) luck roll

2.) previously weakened / wounded reaper

3.) 4x damage against 4 squares aliens

:D AND :D

4.) beginner level

my vote would be beginner difficulty level :P

yarrow

ps.

happy new year 2013!

Edited by yarrow