XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Would You Like To Become An X-Com Operative?

Extralucas

Would you like to become an X-Com Agent?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Disruptor beams and blaster bombs? I don't know... demons are more challenging to defend against and take down. Most aliens go down in one shot, in some cases, even if it's from a ballistic-type rifle. (As opposed to a beam-type rifle.)

I wonder, though, what it would be like if there was a game where Earth was dealing with aliens AND demons. It'd be three factions fighting against each other.

If you can die with only one shot from a rifle, it can only mean that you fall under the category of "conventional opponent." Even if you have access to plasma, sonic, and disruptor weapons. Some demons might need you to belt out an entire M-16 clip before they'll become a scarlet puddle.

Edited by feliciafan89

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, not all of the agents die in one hit ;)

Mine typically take massive ammounts of damage and the armour absorbs it all.

Apocalypse Ftw. <3

Aliens Take a fair amount of damage as well in most cases.

..heck, people in real life dont always die from one shot either

Look at Fitty cent O: 9 bullets.

Now thats just murphys law. xD

I would want to be an engineer, or a scientist if you ask me. Maybe a pilot.. but a foot soldier, heck no.. i love myself more than i love stupid civilians :D

Aliens Take a fair amount of damage as well in most cases.

Unless it's a head shot... LOL

I've done that many a time!

And I meant without armor. Most demons I've seen don't wear any at all.

Only a few aliens have tough skin, which practically is armor. (As I learned from using the Mind Probe on a Muton.)

And you still didn't express your thoughts on demons needing an entire clip pumped into them.

Edited by feliciafan89

Demons are overrated p:

a simple Imp is a demon in itself.

Just kick it in the butt and it goes poof. ^^

They also have access to black magic, and elemental magic. The only "magic" aliens have access to are psionics. Do you know an alien that can cast fire, ice, thunder, or water spells at somebody? I didn't think so. In any case, they're not really overrated. They're just vastly different from both humans and aliens as far as abilities. All the same, sticking a demon with a Plasma Sword is still fun. ^_^

There is ONE way they're somewhat alike, though. The Sectoids were genetically engineered. Some types of demons were born just from the prescence of bad energy in a certain area. How does this make them alike? The fact that they were both forged into existence, rather than brought into existence via reproduction.

You arent considering Apocalypse into that statement at all xD!

In a way, there is no chance that the aliens could defeat the demons, but same goes for the demons against aliens as well.

Sure demons can use elements, too bad most of the aliens have immunities to most of them p:

Water spells are simply breathed in by any aliens from Tftd, Ice can be devastating its true, but Im sure that the aliens would quickly develop some sort of suit which would protect them from the cold ^^'..

Thunder magic on the other hand, really isnt as powerful as you might think.

Aliens+Rubber boots=Immunity :D

Fire.. some of them have resistances, but Im not sure if any are immune *thinks hard*

And then on the other hand of the table, Demons have varying strengths, from as strong as a chicken, to a full fledged Demonic Emporer of the underworld D:

Some you can kill with a simple kick, some would take millions of disruptor shots.

..I wonder if demons are immune to stun gas >_>..

Some aliens, like the Reapers, would be WEAK against fire.

The TFTD Aliens wouldn't develop something against ice. If they had such a notion, they would've thought of it when I started pasting them upside the head with my thermal tazer! LOL

But, true, TFTD Aliens would absorb the power from water spells, thereby HEALING the appropriate amount rather than damging. Ice damage would be halved, since they're obviously capable of coping with cold conditions*. Thunder would be too dangerous underwater. If you cast that underwater, the whole area would look like an underwater version of ground zero. And fire spells underwater... fizzle. ^_^ Unless they're at a certain strength.

As for Apocolypse, you'd have to worry about traveling to two different dimensions, rather than one. The portals they've opened need to be sealed to prevent further incursions, and if deemed necessary, taking them out entirely to ensure they don't do so again.

I think a better question is "Would you become an XCOM agent if the need arose?"

Do I want the aliens to come down and start their stuff in real life? Of course not! And if the real world military actually COULD deal with the aliens well, I'd stay out of it. After all, I've been in the army once - no need to do THAT again unless there's a good reason. If the military could handle it, I'd still go against my current way of things and get a firearms licence, plus some serious firearms, body armor, emergency supplies, etc. Just in case.

Now if the aliens starting penetrating all the governments and disabling the military, then it would be different. Then we'd be talking random alien abductions, aliens eating people, terror missions, possibly the bizarre cults, the whole terrifying thing. THEN I'd seriously consider being an XCOM agent. When things get bad enough where you don't know who's an imposter anymore, then you'd need to pile your good buddies into an XCOM and make darned sure your organization isn't infiltrated.

• 5 months later...
Only in the vaguest sense, I think, is what he meant. Of course, I can just see the newspaper headlines: "Aliens Spearhead Attack On U.S. Soil! Gun Sales Brisk!"

That's amusing! ;-) XCOM isn't really a militia, as it's government-mandated, but it's predicated on the idea that the world's militaries have failed to resist the aliens, one way or the other. Either that, or it's supposed to be an ultra-special forces unit, although the recruits' abilities don't seem to suggest that. I suppose I mean that, if the militaries did fail, I suppose the remaining people would have to form a kind of militia, although I'd hope to get funding and support. The local civilian militia couldn't get advanced aircraft and heavy weapons, much less funding. But I'm not as young as I used be - I worry I'm gettin' too old for that sort of thing. I suppose I could still do a good job, maybe after I get my knee fixed (Judo injury). :-)

• 1 month later...

Sheesh, haven't voted here until now, but I am surprised by the 36.54% of "no-wayers". I would die for a chance to come in contact with technology like that!

Well, maybe not really die... ;)

Edited by Mad

Guest Azrael Strife
You're romantisising (sp?) way too much the life of a soldier. To see such horrors, see people die, your own mates die, it's not as cool, is it? Of course the action sounds fun at first.

I imagine it'd be a bit like being part of an american bomber crew in WW2.

New guys coming in every other week, life expectancy of a few missions.

Difference is, of course, at least those guys got to have fun between missions.

Xcom agents would be stuck in a bunker, running room-clearing drills and pouring over intelligence reports.

You're romantisising (sp?) way too much the life of a soldier. To see such horrors, see people die, your own mates die, it's not as cool, is it? Of course the action sounds fun at first.

Nah, not romanticizing, I have a very clear image in my head of how horrible it would be, but then again I think the personal gain (for me) has a bigger weight than the potential horrors / stress. I mean, it would be a unique thing. Who could ever dream of such a thing? Anyway, I give you this: If I could I would definitely prefer to be an X-COM researcher rather than a soldier... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

No way would I want to be an X-Com field operative. Rookies have the life expectancy of a fly. It might be fun towards the end game once all the fancy weapons have been researched and the psi labs are up but think about the early game. You are out gunned, out classed, and at any moment your squad mate might be mind controlled and shoot you in the back.

That said I would do anything for a research position at an X-Com base :Drool:

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know... I would only ENLIST into X-Com if it pays more than what military paid me... which wasnt crap at E4/Spc 800.00 every two weeks with only 3 years in. 1000.00 every 2 weeks with only Rookie Rank sure. They should only let former military in X-Com (which I think is) like Blackwater. After I passed the basic/academy training... I would put in a request form to join PSI Corps, where they mentally mess with you and physically and also mind training. After passing PSI Corps you wear a Tab on your uniform like the Ranger Tab that says "PSIONIC" That would be cool. And also you graduate from wearing the Ghostbuster dress uniform (the regular uniform which I cant stand) to something better...

X-Com should only recruit from Spec Ops Community (Rangers,Seals,Marine Recon, ODA,Airforce PJs etc)

"Americas worst enemy's nightmare... the US Special Forces."

You bring up a good point. Psionic troops generally have a longer lifespan as all they usually do is sit in the back of your dropship and wage attacks from a distance. I'd sign up for that. Although, I don't know if I'd go for the initial probing of your brain, or the monthly refresher courses. ROFL

- Zombie

• 5 months later...

I would sign up to defend my planet (much like the world war proproganda back then), but as a normal carreer, no. There are stories of Gulf war vets having difficulty living a normal life after that. I'd prefer to be in R&D.

...another thing to bring up, you don't want the 'touch of death' from chrysallis/tentaculats/brain suckers....

LOL tell them in a language they understand that you like them if you like them and probably they won`t touch you.

I would not become an operative through, i like aliens. Unless x-com pays me for cruising in skyranger with other soldiers and hiding in the pilot`s cabin after landing.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

no it drafts them from the navy seals, the SAS, and all thoes outher eleate teams.

Alex, you are joking right? Elite teams? With 10 bravery, 35 reaction and 40 accuracy? My grandmother has better stats than that. Well, she would if she were still alive.

The whole random number ability generating scheme of X-Com was a joke to begin with.

If these guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop, the best every country had to offer, every stat should be at minimum 60-70 which would put them at the far side of the bell curve, unless of course you're using a scale where 0 is untrained completely.

Ha ha...Nicolai. $800 every 2 weeks? In 1969, I made $120 a month as a Marine PFC, then a year later it went up to $160 as a Lance Corporal and later $80 more for combat pay. Even as an E-5 with almost 4 years in, I only made $250.

That means you made more in two weeks than I made in 3 months! Of course, cigarettes were $1.50 a carton in the PX and gas was $.25 a gallon and beer was .25 a can, but I think you still got the better deal. $250 didn't buy much even in '72. Well, maybe a little more. I only paid $2500 for a fully tricked out Chevy Nova in '71. :)

Speaking of which, before you youngsters start talking about how cool combat is, try talking to someone who's actually experienced it. It took years of therapy, and a lot of drugs. (not necessarily in that order) for me to even begin to talk about it again. That was many years ago though. Now, I'm just one of those old white-bearded, pot-bellied old guys who wears one of those Vietnam Vet hats that you see in the supermarket sometimes.

But, if you really want to get the most out of this game, put yourself into the shoes of each soldier you maneuver on the battlefield. This isn't a strategic level game where you move divisions around the world like some fat cat general. This is squad level tactics. Nobody is expendable. Losing even one rookie on a mission should make you feel like a failure. YOU are the commander. These are YOUR men. YOUR responsibility. If one dies, you fail. When you develop that attitude, you'll learn how to win at this game. You don't send someone who is ill equipped to survive into combat. If he/she doesn't have the stats, dump them and get someone else. TU's don't matter. Anything over 50 is acceptable. Reaction, bravery and accuracy are the three most important stats. And psi of course, but you can't learn that without cheating early on. But you should cheat because in the real world, XCom operatives would be screened for that as well, because the military would expect aliens to have that ability, or at least plan for it. It's a shame that the game requires you to have to pay to get better soldiers because the quality of pre-generated operatives is ridiculously bad for the most part.

I usually just use an editor to add 20 to every stat. That brings them more in line with what an elite commando would be even as an X-Com rookie. Yes, it's cheating, but it's what the game should have done to begin with.

And Alex, I'm sorry about this, but I was a teacher and it galls me to see young people who butcher the language. If you're over the age of 12, you should know how to spell other and elite. "Thoes" I hope was a typo.

Call me the spelling cops if you like, but I wonder what I fought for sometimes when I see American literacy deteriorating every year. And nobody seems to care. That little red squiggle under a misspelled word indicates that you need to fix it. It isn't there for looks. And you should care about spelling and proper grammar, at least basic grammar. People find it hard to take someone seriously if they can't spell simple, common words properly. They either think that English isn't your first language, or you're just an ignorant kid who spent more time in school worrying about killing aliens than learning how to express him/herself properly. Either way, it's bound to impress a prospective employer or college entrance application examiner. Enough about that.

Just for a few comments on the game. I've had this game since it first came out. In fact, as I type this, I'm looking at my original X-Com strategy instruction manual. It has it's weaknesses as I've already pointed out, but one thing that none of the clones, re-makes, similar games or those who claim it as inspiration have been able to duplicate is the sheer suspense of every move you make, especially at night on a terror mission. The Oh NO! feeling you get when you realize your launcher guy just got MC'd and he's taking out your squad. Or the terror you experience when you see a Chryssalid coming at you full bore. Or the "Oh, you know what" feeling you get when your tank is toasted after the first movement out the door of the landing craft. And more than anything, I think that is why this game has endured for so long. And I really like the mods you guys have come up with. I just wish someone could come up with one to remove that ridiculous 80 item limit on the Skyranger and Avenger. That's not even enough to decently outfit two squads of 5 guys each. Not the way I like them outfitted.

I've never experienced war, but combat will only ever be cool in a fictional sense. In real life there's definitely no glamour in it.

The reason the stats are so all over the place is more a game mechanic than anything else. If your soldiers were too good at the start, there wouldn't be much point taking the time and patience to train them up. For some, this coaching aspect of the game does make players get attached to their soldiers and take more care when using them compared to someone they just hired.

Also the way the stats gains are handled, poor stats self-correct themselves quite quickly if you give these poor soldiers a chance, or give them other tasks to do.

However, after watching a few lets play video series (Kikoskia, Lordfinisher and Shadowhawk2012), I've seen some amazingly rubbish stat soldiers do some extraordinary things. I guess as long as you give them the chance, they may just surprise you. Also because of these LP's, I most definitely do not want to be hired into X-Com. Ever.

- NKF

I choosed no, but ... my real answer would depend

on the position I would have to take in the xcom

as a soldier ... NO WAY !!

I don't want to be the first ... lemming

sent through the door of the medium scout LOL

but I would happily be an engineer or scientist

( since I was educated in that way )

I would also happily take the job of avenger/leviathan pilot

( especially when my craft will be armed with

dual plasma beams/sonic oscillators :D )

what about the other jobs?

jobs which are not covered in the game itself

for example radar/sonar operator ... ( list should go on here )

if any xcom-player ... really, really, really ... wanted to be a soldier

he/she would be in the army now

:P instead of surfing the internet :P

yarrow