XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alternate Gaming Mentalities

Chris StarShade

Anyone actually played Technophobe Scenario? Would like to hear some comments... [let's not count pure grenades scenario NKF played since it's a different sub-class, doesn't make use of guns]

(Can make it easier on the $$ side by allowing laser cannon research and manufacturing)

Your most powerful weapon is probably the Large Rocket and Hi-X.

I'm sorta playing this variant (not too strict on the other stuff, just my weapons used are purely non-research, PLUS motion scanner, some armor) on Veteran.

It was all fine with average 2 deaths per mission, until I saw a cyberdisc on a terror mission :)

Wasn't expecting them (kinda forgot they existed), and only had 5 Hi-X in the ship not equipped on anyone.

Loadout is something like (IC is incase I land a night mission, since I chase small-medium UFOs with Skyrangers for Elerium) :

1 x Rocket Launcher (3 Large, 1 IC)
1 x Heavy Cannon (HE/IC)
1 x Auto Cannon (HE/IC)
6 x Rifleman (with extra clip, 1 grenande and variants of motion scanner/hi-x/medi-kit)
1 x Pistol Scout (grenade, motion scanner and misc)

1 x HWP (Rocket) [ Re-read my post asking for help on Terror missions, NKF suggested HWP Cannon for cyberdiscs though... ]

That's the full 14slots of the Skyranger.

Not using laser kinda sucks, since it's hard to make holes in walls/fences/etc.
And for terror missions trashing the whole place up is the best for sniping from far (for get Line of Sight).

So, a REAL technophone scenario, w/o armor, motion scanner, $ making tools, will be one heck of hard game. (If you want to win it, just research the appropriate stuff. Will be "fun" to play Cyndonia with T-shirt guys and purchasable weapons only, not to mention full out Psi-attacks on you w/o knowing ur Psi Strength :) )

You could change it slightly and go really really heavy on rocket launchers and high explosives. I tried an all rocket launcher game, with armour. Fantastic game. Simply fantastic. Humbling too as you tend to run out of ammo if you're not careful, so you have to retreat.

I never completed it, but I did get to the point where ethereals were starting to appear. The sectopods are quite hard to take out with plain large rockets. This was superhuman, so it was no wonder.

- NKF

I'll admit it - there was a time when I'd go load-crazy when my favorite troops got killed (read: Yoko Fujimoto), but I decided to go all iron-man with the so-called technophobe scenario. Needless to say, I got my butt handed to be pretty quickly.

My problem was that I never considered mass rocket-launcherism a viable strategy - initial carrying weight limitations and all that. Stupidly enough, I decided to give everyone AutoCannons (yeah, real benefit there...) rather than going with basic rifles and such. It went rather poorly. Anti-Cyberdisk terror missions were like some sort of masochistic gauntlet run.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Through my xcom years i've changed many time my playstyle by creating my own game rules. I've seen some of you also do this and i would like to see how u do it.

I've played:

-No alien tech

-No alien manufacture

-Mass army

-Uber Elite Unit

-Pistols & Explosives only

-Stun only

-Granades only << Current!

Share yours!

My recent campaign was born out of pure curiosity. How far could you get on superhuman with just the Plasma Pistol? The answer: pretty far. Some aliens just will not fall to Plasma Pistol fire so I had to rely a little on some terran objects to fill the void. High Explosives worked well, and the Heavy Cannon with AP rounds worked ok until my scientists could research the PP. One problem is that there are ammo shortages as the aliens phase out the weaker plasma weaponry so I had to manufacture Plasma Pistol Clips to keep ahead of the game. Not a very good use of Elerium, but I was desperate! LOL

Other limitations I sometimes use include:

No Explosives whatsoever.

Only High Explosive packs.

Fire. (This one is tough folks, so beware).

Micah's derived packrat limitation. (Can't sell anything, you must either destroy it or keep it forever).

One man missions. (Not fun, but it proves most missions can be won with just one guy).

I still haven't tried an all-stun campaign, but that just sounds so run-of-the-mill boring (especially once you get the Small Launcher). ;)

- Zombie

Actually only stun was a damn good game!

I've found that there is already another post about this stuff. Sorry!

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5779

And i've already posted there! OMFG where's my head?

[Edit by Zombie: topics merged. Nice catch. :)]

Edited by Zombie

One of my favourites is the X-COM Util "All Tech, No Psi, Enh. Tanks & Weapons" scenario.

X-COM starts with every research completed. This is not a huge advantage as they are still limited by funds and lack of E115/Alien Alloys at the game start, and as we all know, the only good sources of these are the larger capital ships when they're landed. Another benefit is there is no Psi, effectively neutering the Ethereals for the most part - although they're still tough as heck, and their Sectopods are remarkably more resilient than I remember them being. X-COM also has the upgraded tanks and standard weaponry, making the Heavy Laser a touch more powerful (120 to the HP's 115) than the Heavy Plasma, though it lacks the automatic fire, and thus is less effective in close quarters. A good sniper weapon, however!

This situation is still quite difficult, even if everyone is clad in Powered Armour because the aliens will rapidly gain strength & power when you start giving everyone the big guns. It gives you a nice kickstart and lessens the "OMGWTFHAX" of the Ethereals quite a lot.

Plus your troopers are still quite mortal, especially to blaster bombs. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Er... this might not be a full-game mentality.

But, what about using PSI-amps + Inventory trick to arm aliens with usuall human weapons? And then have one guy assasinate all of them with a weapon of choice (your guy must have armor on for full "invincibility effect").

Seems like a fun mission. :D

"Chaps by the UFO. Five rounds rapid."

You just came from UNIT to commandier this new anti-alien task force. Thing is anything that doesn't shoot 7.62mm wwill be issued to the toops unless in desperate scenarios (base defenses and cydonia along with terror missions) in which rocket launchers, autocannons, and heavy cannons will henceforth be issued to one guy. You will also use kevlar only unless the situation calls for it. You may research plasma but will never issue it. Lasers are "unreliable" and grenades, uh what's a grenade again? You can have Avengers fully kited out with dual fusion blasters but the troops will have to use the good old reliable assault rifle.

Edited by Exterminatus

Strangely enough, a rifle only scenario would certainly work - given enough bullets. Throwing out grenades and all the heavy weapons certainly makes room for them.

The only real spanner in the works would be fighting Sectopods. They cannot be killed by rifles. I suppose one way to fix the sectopod problem would be to allow the inclusion of the stun rod.

Apart from them, the toughest enemies you'll probably face would be the terror units and Mutons (-40% to AP damage, or thereabouts). Even our favourite kill-me-now friend the Reaper needs quite a beating - at least it was with my experience with a lone soldier armed with a single pistol on a superhuman floater base assault. Several full clips had to be spent on just one. Madness. Might do a lot better with a squad of riflemen, the rifle's +4 to +8 extra points of damage and autoshot helps too.

- NKF

Forgot to say the bases must be based in England only :) I did mention that on terror missions, base missions, and cydonia you could use the heavier weapons, only one guy can use it.(Ten alien entertainment venues for a certain show reference.) Edited by Exterminatus

• 4 months later...

Doctor who.

Anyways, me and my friend play the only one soldier each game a lot. We've never actually beaten the game, but we've come...sort of close. There was also a terror from the deep game we had going where me, my friend and my two sisters all were controlling one soldier each. We gave up after a paticularily nasty encounter with tentaculats in a base.

Hey, how would you guys like it to play as a Sectoid Rebel Crew in Cydonia, trying to survive after the destruction of the Master Brain... Switching technology to "non-elerium" weapons, and fighting invading humans and Aliens...

Or be a Muton Commander in charge of terror ship on earth, just after Cydonias Fall... kind of SuperAlien Difficulty level ;)

Edited by uncy

That would require a mega-if-you-see-Kayton of modding to acomplish. Moreover, you'd have to play with just one interceptor thingy until you built a base. And you'd have to overhaul the whole bloody base system, and the soldiers, and the AI for the enemies on both the geoscape and the battlescape.

It sounds awesome. Do it. ^_^

• 9 months later...

Okay this is a rough draft to an alternate ruleset I came up with. This is by no means final and as I play test, I'll ammend it. Still, feed back is welcome.

It merely deals with Battle-scape management and an outside the box look at the Save-Reload immortality kick the some vets look down on, yet some begginers can't seem to break.

What you need

Pen and Paper: Some lite bookkeeping is in order, mostly to track saves.

Currently, I'm not using any Mods, but once I feel comfortable with the basic system, I'll delve into how features in other mods can help enhance this.

Set-up

The size of the attack force depends on the size of the threat. As an 'optional' rule, any mission that involves UFO exploration must have a squad that consist of of at least two rookies.

Rookies CANNOT wear Personal/Power Armor. Squaddies cannot wear Power Armor. Officers may wear any Armor available.

*Playtest note: Even though I made it optional, I still heavily recommend the rookie rule. This ultimately forced me to begin developing bases in other countries earlier then normal just to clear personel space for Scientists and Engineers. I normally procrastinate. So far, I haven?t regretted it. Also the Armor thing (besides sadistic fun) makes you VERY cautious with your rookies. That, and you eventually will recognize rank merely by looking at the sprites.

For Small UFOs, only a 6 man squad (No tanks) can be used.

Medium UFOs encounter can use an 8 man squad and a tank OR a 12 man squad.

Large+ UFOs can use 2 tanks and no limit to soldiers.

*Playtest note: I know that the later crafts can carry more soldiers. This however, is under the assumption that, by the time you are ?able? to build such craft, then you have the ability to shoot down Large UFOs. If this turns out to not be the case for the majority of you who try this out, then I?ll take suggestions on rule to cover this.

The Checkpoint System:

As stated earlier, this is a controlled use of Save/Load immortality. Only one save is used (Though you can save it multiple times incase of a crash).

The reason you?ll want to protect your soldiers is that you will WANT them to progress in rank. The higher the ranks, the more saves you get. This way, you?ll have a reason to keep and level up even crappy soldiers.

The system is like this; for every rank in your squad, you get a point total. This point total adds up to equal how many reloads you can use.

Tanks= Zero Points

Rookies=Zero Points

Squaddies= 1 Point

Sergeant= 2 points

Captain= 3 points

Colonol= 4 points

Commander= 5 points

6 points= 1 reload

12 points= 2 reloads

18 points= 3 reloads

(From this point, go by multiples of six. Every six points equal one reload.)

So, say you have Six soldiers that consists of two sergeants, two squaddies and two rookies. This squad equals 6 points. 1 Reload.

*Playtest note: Quite a few things to note here:

1. Notice how you ?earn? reloads and that they come from ?advancing? your troops. You may get an inkling that by massing your squad with Sergeants, Captains, etc, that you?ll be unstoppable. You?re right, and that strategy will do wonders in the final mission. However, to get there you have to amass a sizable group of soldiers AND promote them. With this system, Early battles are critical, as every rookie killed is one potential point lost (the lowest point you can get from a soldier after he becomes a squaddie), not to mention that promotions only come when you have a certain number of soldiers so casualties are big damper to progress.

2. Any soldier, from the coward, to the psi-weakling, helps you benefit. That is where strategy gets interesting. We all dealt with the screwy X-Com promotion system and how the low bravery, low psi soldier becomes the one with the highest rank. Now it becomes quite interesting: Will you take advantage of his rank and gain points towards re-loads, risking the potential baggage he brings to the mission? Will you sack him and hope another, more worthy soldier picks up the slack?

3. You may see that Tanks net 0 points. Why? Tanks aren?t people. Tanks don?t get promoted. And when Tanks get destroyed, no letter is written to a family. Tanks are meant to be expendable units that take fire for the team. Nothing more, nothing less. Despite that, I still advise you use it when you can, since it?s better for a Tank to get vaporized by Plasma (which gives no points for surviving the mission), then a soldier who always has the potential to contribute to your point pool.

As stated, you have only one active save. This is a checkpoint. Whenever you chose to do a reload, it goes back to this checkpoint. As you go through stages, the checkpoint save is overwritten.

Important Terms:

Passing a Stage: Passing a stage means moving from one stage to the next, making a Checkpoint save in the process.

Engaging the Enemy: The act using the Attack Command to attack Aliens. This is restricted in most stages.

Self-Defense: The act of attacking an Alien using Re-action fire. Often the ONLY way to attack Aliens.

Visable Threat: Applies only in deployment. A visable threat is when an enemy is spotted and he is ?facing? the person spotting him OR facing a civilian. Under these circumstances, it?s a forgone conclusion as to what will happen next.

*Note: Why an enemy with his back turn isn?t a visible threat is because it was proven that you can sneak past or a round an Alien whose back is turned.

Target Zone: The ?Target Zone? depends on the mission. Terror Missions and Base Defense has NO Target Zone. UFO Landings/Crash investigations are obvious (The UFO, DUH!), Base attack is the Command Center.

Breaching the target Area: Entering the Target Zone by ANY means. This means entering the UFO through the doors, hole in wall or hole in ceiling. For base attack, then this is the Outer hallway SURROUNDING the purple lift room to the command center.

Progression is as follows:

Land near UFO (or Base or terror mission, etc).

*Check-Point Save* <= Begins the Deployment Stage. This Save is used in case a Veteran dies during Deployment or a crash.

Deployment Stage

*Check-Point Save* <= Begins the Clearing Stage (Base Defense begins here)

Clearing Stage <= Again, this is where things branch off depending on the mission. Terror missions and sometimes Crash landings usually end here, since Aliens are usually skulking about.

*Check-Point Save* (If Necessary) <= Begins UFO/Command Center Infiltration

Infiltration Stage <= Remember, once this stage starts, you are only allowed to engage enemy in the target area. Any other tango that attacks must be handled with defensive fire (reactions) ONLY.

*Check-Point Save* (If Necessary) <= Begins Mopping up stage

Mopping up <= This is when you have to hunt down that final alien who has survived your previous sweep.

Deployment Stage

This stage (arguably the most dangerous of stages, especially Terror missions) has the responsibility of deploying your team out of the Skyranger/Base Entrance. You can take as long as you like, but this stage can?t end till EVERYONE is out of the Sky Ranger.

To clear the stage: ALL units must exit the skyranger. Enemy cannot be engaged unless fired upon (or poses a visable threat)

Clearing Stage

This Stage is pretty basic in that it?s common to all combat missions. Seek out Aliens who might be hiding out in the area outside the Target Zone. Only in this stage and the optional final stage can you engage enemies surrounding the target area.

If the Target Area is located, then it?s allowable to cover the entrances and engage ANY enemy that leaves to engage the covering squad, but no breach can be made till AFTER you choose to clear this stage.

To clear the stage: It?s your choice when to end this stage, just be ready to deal with the consequences. When moving into the next stage (Infiltration), then you can?t actively attack forces outside the target area unless you use re-active fire.

Infiltration Stage

Once you are reasonably certain that you won?t get bushwhacked from behind, then it?s time to begin the Infiltration stage. The goal is to breach and then sieze control of the Target Area (if you properly done the clearing stage then accomplishing this will lead to victory).

You are now cleared to breach and engage the Enemy inside the UFO/Command area.

ALL Enemies outside the ufo can only be engaged by re-action fire only.

To Clear the Stage: Eliminate and Explore ALL of the UFO to take out Alien occupation (and to ensure that if there is a loose alien, then he?s not hiding in some random corner of the ship).

Mopping Up

If you cleared All of the UFO, Target area and the mission isn?t over, then you are once again cleared to engage enemy units outside the target zone. Finish them off.

Optional Stage: Abort

In the middle of any stage, you can call a full abort. When this happens the Abort Stage begins. An Abort can only be use when either:

1. Half of your Forces were taken out, or?

2. 15 Turns has passed and you feel you are either out gunned or out manned.

*Playtest note- I know that this will be deadly with Early Terror Missions or fighting Etherels without Psi attacks/protection. That?s the point.

To clear the stage: ALL survivors must be on the Skyranger OR 10 turns passes.

To some, this may be organized quite out of whack. I apologize as this was converted from handwritten notes and in the future I'll clean it up.

So anyway, try it out and tell me what I can do to improve it.

Okay, I haven't had time to work on the ruleset as much as I would have liked, since life shoved some priorities in my face. However, I notice that Sub's mod/patch is working nicely with it (haven't tested it with Xcom util as of yet).

Still waiting on thoughts, questions and concerns.

• 3 months later...

About a month and a half ago, I started playing, using Seb76 UFO Extender mods, the following:

* Money comes only from COF (Council Of Funding)

* Range based accuracy: after 14 tiles, snapshot gets a penalty, and auto shot gets a penalty after 7 tiles

Let me tell you, the above makes the game VERY challenging (especially since I play on superhuman). I can quite easily say that with all the money I could be making from selling stuff, superhuman would be a breeze. However, since you are deficient in resources, I tend to keep the lives of my soldiers and plan ahead for next 1-2 months in order of what I'm going to build/buy/hire. The first month is the toughest. I'm restarted multiple times the game and many times I found myself lacking funds to purchase further missiles towards the end of the first month (that after having around $450 after initial round of purchase/hire/construction). Hyperwave decoder is no longer a priority as one has to research other stuff first, besides the phenomenal cost of it. I'm making heavy usage of UFO activity graphs in order to pinpoint UFOs.

Let me tell you, the above makes the game VERY challenging (especially since I play on superhuman). I can quite easily say that with all the money I could be making from selling stuff, superhuman would be a breeze. However, since you are deficient in resources, I tend to keep the lives of my soldiers and plan ahead for next 1-2 months in order of what I'm going to build/buy/hire. The first month is the toughest. I'm restarted multiple times the game and many times I found myself lacking funds to purchase further missiles towards the end of the first month (that after having around $450 after initial round of purchase/hire/construction). Hyperwave decoder is no longer a priority as one has to research other stuff first, besides the phenomenal cost of it. I'm making heavy usage of UFO activity graphs in order to pinpoint UFOs.

Congratulations! You've just graduated from the University of X-COM! :)

It's very important to be constantly looking ahead in this game no matter how much money you have or where it's coming from. The bottom line is to stay in the black and keep a good reserve of cash on-hand for emergency purchases. In your case, building more than one or two bases may not be a good idea since they can eat up money fast. Buy only what you need, pillage and use alien equipment primarily, and keep your personnel busy. ;)

- Zombie

Congratulations! You've just graduated from the University of X-COM! :)

It's very important to be constantly looking ahead in this game no matter how much money you have or where it's coming from. The bottom line is to stay in the black and keep a good reserve of cash on-hand for emergency purchases. In your case, building more than one or two bases may not be a good idea since they can eat up money fast. Buy only what you need, pillage and use alien equipment primarily, and keep your personnel busy. ;)

- Zombie

Wow! Such a compliment from the XCom-meister-guru. :D

I actually started a new game and about to explore a different strategy. I used to construct another base with large radar and a hangar the first month. However, I did find out that the vast majority (if not all) of the UFOs I spotted by calculating their general heading (according to the spikes in UFO activity in areas and countries) and sending an Interceptor to sniff around. I'm actually going to try to have two bases complete with just empty hangers and general stores by the end of the first month and purchase an additional interceptor the second month (even though it is more $$$ per month). I usually run out of fuel when the UFO decides to slow down on the other side of the globe. I found out that shooting them down and doing successful missions has a significant impact on additional funding. I once had a score of around 2,700 the first month (there were 11-12 UFOs, all of them shut down and scavenged) which translated into +860K the first month. The most important thing for me to first research is motion scanner followed by laser rifle and up to power armor. Making use of HWP rocket launcher which ideally will survive the first two months. I end the first month with 17 scientists and nearly finishing laser rifle research if I'm lucky.

P.S.

The most important item I'm using in large quantities is the smoke grenade which one has to use WISELY. Motion scanners are super useful - couldn't get without them.

Edited by oldfan

I actually started a new game and about to explore a different strategy. I used to construct another base with large radar and a hangar the first month. However, I did find out that the vast majority (if not all) of the UFOs I spotted by calculating their general heading (according to the spikes in UFO activity in areas and countries) and sending an Interceptor to sniff around. I'm actually going to try to have two bases complete with just empty hangers and general stores by the end of the first month and purchase an additional interceptor the second month (even though it is more $$$ per month). I usually run out of fuel when the UFO decides to slow down on the other side of the globe. I found out that shooting them down and doing successful missions has a significant impact on additional funding. I once had a score of around 2,700 the first month (there were 11-12 UFOs, all of them shut down and scavenged) which translated into +860K the first month. The most important thing for me to first research is motion scanner followed by laser rifle and up to power armor. Making use of HWP rocket launcher which ideally will survive the first two months. I end the first month with 17 scientists and nearly finishing laser rifle research if I'm lucky.

P.S.

The most important item I'm using in large quantities is the smoke grenade which one has to use WISELY. Motion scanners are super useful - couldn't get without them.

Looking at the graphs is a poor man's radar. If you keep close tabs on the alien activity levels it's pretty easy to spot increases and take action on it. Of course, by the time your craft reach those areas the UFO could be long gone. If you have any doubts where the aliens are at the start of the game, just send your craft on the opposite side of the earth. It's a known fact that the aliens will heavily target the area opposite of your first base because they know you can't detect 'em there. Building another base opposite of your first is a good idea as soon as you can afford it. :)

When I do testing on X-COM, I never run missions as it takes too long. Instead, I just shoot everything down - being careful not to destroy base building UFOs. Then you just sit back, shoot down everything and reap the points. To be effective, you'll need to have plasma beams and a hybrid craft (any would do, but the Firestorm or Avenger is preferred). Depending on radar coverage and how far along in the game you are, you could easily see +5000 points per month (my max was something like +40,000). With this number of points being pumped in, you can expect the remaining funding countries to be very happy and increase their contribution by up to +20%. ;)

I've never really used the Motion Scanner much in any of my games. I guess I prefer to have better weapons. :blush1:

- Zombie

P.S.

Looking at the graphs is a poor man's radar. If you keep close tabs on the alien activity levels it's pretty easy to spot increases and take action on it. Of course, by the time your craft reach those areas the UFO could be long gone. If you have any doubts where the aliens are at the start of the game, just send your craft on the opposite side of the earth. It's a known fact that the aliens will heavily target the area opposite of your first base because they know you can't detect 'em there. Building another base opposite of your first is a good idea as soon as you can afford it. :)

When I do testing on X-COM, I never run missions as it takes too long. Instead, I just shoot everything down - being careful not to destroy base building UFOs. Then you just sit back, shoot down everything and reap the points. To be effective, you'll need to have plasma beams and a hybrid craft (any would do, but the Firestorm or Avenger is preferred). Depending on radar coverage and how far along in the game you are, you could easily see +5000 points per month (my max was something like +40,000). With this number of points being pumped in, you can expect the remaining funding countries to be very happy and increase their contribution by up to +20%. ;)

I've never really used the Motion Scanner much in any of my games. I guess I prefer to have better weapons. :blush1:

- Zombie

My experience has been rather different. When starting the game, at 14:30 you'll start seeing activity on the graphs. There is always a very small UFO and small UFO. I have actually found them to spawn in different places, and usually their destination is Africa and Asia. As for the later stages, UFOs appear to target a certain region more than others, but every now and then they do indeed perform missions at the other side of the planet. I've restarted MANY times (most important is to get 4-5 good soldiers with high accuracy).

As for motion scanners, I used to not bother with them. However, once you get them, securing the LZ become much easier since you know if there are any bad guys nearby (especially using the soldiers in the back of the Skyranger). The problem with dumping too much smoke grenades is that aliens often squeeze between the cracks and it is always easier to see into the cloud than from the cloud outside. Not to mention that sometimes I can kill aliens without even seeing them by throwing a grenade/proxy/HE around corners or on the tile in a heavily smoke grenaded area.

Yes, better weapons are indeed better. :-) However, with 17 scientists the first month and about 20 more the next one it is hard to make gains fast.

I perform research in the following order:

1. Motion scanner (it rocks if used properly)
  2. laser rifle: significantly more damage than rifle, no clips (more room for grenades), two aimed shots (remember that I used ranged based accuracy)
  3. alien alloys --> personal armor (offers some protection, especially against plasma pistols/rifles and occasional walking over a primed proxy)
  4. medikit - since you now have some personal armor, you might as well have the ability to heal units (especially since armor takes a while to produce and is costly)
  5. elerium / power source --> power suit: now this gives you a decent chance to survive. This is a MAJOR perk and once reached I'm super happy. THE most important technology in my opinion in the game.

After this, I go for heavy plasma and plasma cannon (one per craft initially, due to funds availability) and from there to UFO construction.

Until I have a laser rifle for most of my guys, I run away from anything which resembles a cyberdisc especially since they have their psi buddy with them.

I made a few mistakes which took me a while to figure out in my earlier games:

• Capturing a navigator - I don't even think of having hyperwave decoder and prefer to concentrate on other "life saving" techs first. Not to mention the 1.4 million it takes to build one. Many unnecessary deaths ocurred due to bad capture attempts. Only if it looks super promising I try to capture a navigator.
  • Not researching motion scanner first - securing the LZ is the most difficult and dangerous part. Motion scanner helps VERY much - first technology to research
  • Initially I used too many smoke grenades which caused aliens to appear out of nowhere.
  • Highered more engineers to produce things faster - I'd rather produce them slower and have more cash for research and replacing soldiers (due to "natural" causes).

But all of the above are based on COF funding only and ranged based accuracy. It gives much more tactical depth to the game, as now snipers are indeed sniping. I rarely use autoshot or snapshot, only in cases of extreme close encountered (which I try to avoid).

P.S.

I rarely send my crafts to initial UFO activity site. UFOs usually travel quite a bit. I monitor the graphs every one hour (hard to do so), but the effort pays off. Of course, every now and then I have those pesky UFOs hiding in China's north east corner or finding one in Siberia can be daunting. Hyperwave decoder is definitely something I'm looking forward to, but I'd rather first research power armor and plasma technology. Hyperwave decoder is a great help not only because you know the destination, but also the crew type and possible terrain and night/day at destination. Due to 80 items limit, I choose my combat gear carefully. From my experience, forests/jungles/deserts have little use for rocket launchers, forests pose challenges when using grenades (lots of tall trees), and deserts have lots of sand dunes which makes grenades very useful (no direct line of sight for all of your soldiers). Also, if one plans on risking night missions, knowing when to bring the automatic cannon along with plenty of incendiary ammo and flares is useful, especially since I tend to carry many proximity grenades and smoke grenades (around 20 for each).

Woosh!

Edited by oldfan

I remember seeing a post somewhere, probably at the wiki which differs on this (and my personal experience says the opposite as well). During the first month you'll most likely see UFO craft (the post considered if it was a feature set into the game and I can't remember if they found the code in the game engine to prove it) on the area of your first base (but it is also possible that they go to another area). After the 2nd month the alien incursions get completely random and using the graphs can really help to known which areas are active with UFOs.

I remember seeing a post somewhere, probably at the wiki which differs on this (and my personal experience says the opposite as well). During the first month you'll most likely see UFO craft (the post considered if it was a feature set into the game and I can't remember if they found the code in the game engine to prove it) on the area of your first base (but it is also possible that they go to another area). After the 2nd month the alien incursions get completely random and using the graphs can really help to known which areas are active with UFOs.

The only problems occurs when a LOT of UFOs start appearing. It may be hard to guess their locations/heading and whether more than one are in the area. Though it is not impossible. Having a craft scout the area is useful. :-) Of course, having a hyperwave decoder is nice too.

Well, when a lot of UFOs start appearing is later in the game and by then you usually have Hyperwave detection and multiple bases to boot. But there is always the possible base building or retaliation mission which crops up. I just head to the area where there was activity before and hope for the best. ;)

I may be wrong then. It was in a post by Spike over at the wiki, I'm positive on this, though the details are a little cloudy. If you find it let me know. :)

- Zombie

Well, when a lot of UFOs start appearing is later in the game and by then you usually have Hyperwave detection and multiple bases to boot. But there is always the possible base building or retaliation mission which crops up. I just head to the area where there was activity before and hope for the best. ;)

I may be wrong then. It was in a post by Spike over at the wiki, I'm positive on this, though the details are a little cloudy. If you find it let me know. :)

- Zombie

Well.... I analyze the graphs the following way. If I see an initial spike on the Pacific, then in South America, and then in South Pacific, I know the UFO is headed towards Europe or North Africa. You can additional pinpoint the location using the country graph. If there is a major spike in South America but not in Brazil, you know to look for the UFO, or more precisely, where he is NOT currently. When the UFO is in Sibera (Russia), a lot of times you'll see a bit of a spike in China or South East Asia. This tells you that the UFO is on the Russia/China border area near Japan. By sending to Interceptors to the area, you can really figure out quite fast where the UFO is. However, sometimes the UFO is a sneaky bastard.

• 1 year later...

One new thing that could be done would be bringing prices into scale.

From one side stuff like alien infantry weapons is very expensive, from another, stuff like tankettes and planes and plane weapons is very cheap (Wiesel tankettes - the closest thing to HWP in RL cost 5 million Euro each. AMRAAM missiles cost at least 300,000$ and Phoenix Missiles (Avalanche) cost 477,131$, F-22 Raptor costs 150,000000$, etc.).

One thing that I've done was treating each in game $ as 10$ and adjusting the prices to make them more in scale with reality.

For example Avalanche Missiles cost 50,000$, Heavy Plasma costs 20,000$, Plasma Rifle 10,000$, Heavy Laser 10,000$, Laser Rifle 4,000$, Rifle 300$, Grenade 5$, etc.

This way, the player can make about 10x less money on selling alien equipment than normally. The price of Elerium and Alien Alloys is also scaled-down 10x.

• 1 month later...

Here's one that I did not see in this topic: Single Combat.

You are allowed to attack ONE ship, and only one ship, before going to Cydonia.

It has to be a battleship (only way to get the needed three aliens).

You'll never have enough Elerium. You have to choose what to make. You can't make 14 flying suits, for example.

Funding is from the nations. You are not allowed to manufacture for profits.

You are not allowed to attack alien bases.

You are not allowed to defend your base from attack. (So if a battleship is coming in low and fast, transfer everything to another base.)