XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How Is Xenocide Pronounced?

Mustang

• 2 weeks later...
I've always though that it was Eksen-ohsite..oh well.

But then i played a half-life mod, where gorden went to zen....and in the scroll text, it was xen.

[url="http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=xenon"]This page[/url] gives the pronunciation of Xenon, the neuter form of xenos, greek for stranger, etc. xeno should sound like zee-no.

• 1 year later...
As the authoritative folks above have posted, you pronounce it either "zenoside" or "zeenoside." Maybe I or someone will record themselves saying it and post it for whoever wants it.

We got the name from Orson Scott Card's novel "Xenocide." [url="http://http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812509250/qid=1093131015/sr=8-1/ref%3d%70d_ka_1/002-9512091-9764059?v=glance&s%3d%62ooks&n=507846"]link[/url]

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 22 2004, 06:20 AM']and cide i assume comes form the word homiCIDE or genoCIDE
[right][post="91427"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Not to mention the more appropriate pestiCIDE :devillaugh:

xeno- or xen-
pref.

Strange; foreign; different

New Latin, from Greek, from xenos, stranger

-cide
suff.

Killer, Act of killing.

Middle English, from Old French (from Latin -cda, killer), and from Latin -cdium, killing both from caedere, to strike, kill.

Courtesy of www.dictionary.com Edited by fux0r666

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Tsereve' date='Aug 21 2004, 03:34 AM']Let's just say it's pronounced "Xenocide".
[right][post="91313"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Does it really matter how we pronaunce it? Those do this, those do that, it isn't like we are gonna pronance it in the forums. It wouldn't really matter, unless we got voiceacters to say it. Which i doubt.

why does it matter. If you get to kill aliens, does it really matter how it is pronounced? fRom the Zeenocides to the zenocides to the cksenocides to the Facehuggers, it all means the same. kIlling aliens.

[quote name='mikker' date='Sep 24 2004, 10:40 AM'][quote name='Tsereve' date='Aug 21 2004, 03:34 AM']Let's just say it's pronounced "Xenocide".
[right][post="91313"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Does it really matter how we pronaunce it? Those do this, those do that, it isn't like we are gonna pronance it in the forums. It wouldn't really matter, unless we got voiceacters to say it. Which i doubt.
[right][post="95759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Speaking of which, I've already taken the liberty to record a few choice lines, myself. A few snippets:

"Welcome to Zee-know-side. Insert coin(s) to play."
"Choose your warrior!"
"FIGHT!"
"Turn One: Side, X-Corps."
"Turn One: Side, Aliens."
"KO!"
"FINISH HIM/HER/IT!"
"Continue?"
"GAME OVER!"

You like?

On a more serious note, I'm not discouraged at the idea of having a vocal GUI. With a cooler, creepier, more subtle voice behind it, it could set the mood perfectly. Perhaps having a smooth, English-accented female avatar announce UFO detections or the like would be quite cool, don't you think? Edited by The Master Maniac

• 1 month later...
You say toe-may-toe, I say tow-ma-tow, let's call the whole thing off...

We in the USA can't even pronounce aluminIUm, let alone made up words. We all call it aluminUM, as in, uuummm, how's that sounded out? (insert retarded Cartman sounds here)

• 1 year later...
xeno- or xen-

pref.

Strange; foreign; different

New Latin, from Greek, from xenos, stranger

-cide

suff.

Killer, Act of killing.

Middle English, from Old French (from Latin -cda, killer), and from Latin -cdium, killing both from caedere, to strike, kill.

Courtesy of www.dictionary.com

Decide:

To kill choices till you have one left :)

I personally pronounce it Zee-no-side. Like when I was playing XenoGears, pronounced it Zee-no-gee-ers. However when I heard of XenoSaga, it was Ze-no-sa-ga. I am confused :unsure: Or maybe it was my Japanese friend who introduce me to xenosaga <_< and pronounced it that way.

Hehehe, yeah xenosaga is written in Japanese as zenosaga.

I pronounce it as ksenocide or zenocide randomly, as the local transliteration of "xe" as "kse" can't get a full hold on me ;)

Xeno Sometimes means alien

:ar15: :icon_alien:

Isn't alien an old word for outsider?

And there's no greater outsider than someone from outer space :D

We in the USA can't even pronounce aluminIUm, let alone made up words. We all call it aluminUM, as in, uuummm, how's that sounded out? (insert retarded Cartman sounds here)

The original spelling was Aluminum. A pretentious political journal suggested the -ium ending because the -um ending "had a less classical sound". The -um ending matches the latin spelling of alumina, from which aluminum is produced.

Anyway, either "zen-oh-side" or "zeen-oh-side" will work. If you pronounce it with a "ksen" sound people will think you're an idiot.

Greeks won't, most think it is weird and silly not to use "ks" :).

That reminds me of the greek vocals in Age of Mythology... Βούλομαι! Ε-X-αίρετα.... muauauauahahahuahaha! LOL

IMVHO, and unfortunately I can't support my opinion with facts (it's just the... feeling :P), "xeno" alone should be pronounced "zeen-oh", but "xeno-something" should be "zen-oh-something.

Edited by kafros

• 9 months later...