XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Cannibalising Ufo:ai For Xenocide

eyetooth

UFO:AI looks to be at the threshold of abandonment. Considering that they have what is close to a working battlescape but almost no geoscape, is there any way to convert QuakeC code, maps models to what you're using? Could ANYTHING of worth be scavenged from this tragic project (with the devs' blessing, of course)?

if it isn't in C++, in short, the answer is no. You said QuakeC, i am figuring that is some sort of C. But you have to remember, C is not C++, so it would still take a while. It would take longer to convert it over than it would to code it from scratch, even if it was C (well, depending on the coding, it could be possible to salvage it though, but i seriously doubt it)

models would also have to be compatible with all of our models

Hm, I'd have thought there'd be a programme/algorithm that could at least port Quake models to Ogre. After all models are just vertices, it shouldn't be hard to re-interpret them from one engine to another. Same with map objects. Skins are another matter, but perhaps something could be fudged with them too.

Anyhow, cheers for your response. I would like something, however meagre, to come of that project.

Even if the whole code could be converted, I suspect none of our programmers would take it. UFO: AI was programmed in a certain way, PX is done in another. Plus I think our programmers wouldn't like to take foreign code.
As for the models, I've taken a look at them and they look of lesser quality than ours, I don't think Vaaish would take them either.
Above all, I think everyone here wants to make every bit of Xenocide ourselves :)

Well, the models may have low polycounts, but many look quite good...as to conflicts with concept art, with due respect, if something is already built and it fits in, why not use it? I suppose I do understand the desire to make everything yourselves, though.

What about map objects? They have a great deal done in this respect, and I don't think the lower polycount would be as much as an issue there. Also, most of the textures they use are public domain.

The game is written with the Quake2 engine; if QuakeC is for Quake1, perhaps I got the terms mixed up.

[quote name='eyetooth' date='Dec 12 2005, 06:31 PM']Well, the models may have low polycounts, but many look quite good...as to conflicts with concept art, with due respect, if something is already built and it fits in, why not use it?[/quote]

Because they don't fit, besides, as it was said, they are too low poly, they don't match the quality level our artwork department has.

[quote]What about map objects?  They have a great deal done in this respect, and I don't think the lower polycount would be as much as an issue there.  Also, most of the textures they use are public domain.[/quote]
If you mean objects like trees and such, I dunno about that.

[quote]The game is written with the Quake2 engine; if QuakeC is for Quake1, perhaps I got the terms mixed up.
[right][post="141832"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
We are using Ogre as engine.

[quote name='Azrael' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:36 PM']If you mean objects like trees and such, I dunno about that.[/quote]

Not just generic doohickeys; they have a wide variety of structures built as well, all designed for a grid-based tactical game.

[quote][quote]The game is written with the Quake2 engine; if QuakeC is for Quake1, perhaps I got the terms mixed up.[/quote]
[quote]We are using Ogre as engine.[/quote][/quote]

I was referring to UFO:AI there. I didn't know if the two engines were compatible in any respect, I had to ask. Edited by eyetooth

• 11 months later...

things have changed, with the RC 2 version 6 the game is now really playable, I am really enjoying playing multiplayer sessions with friends on tactical maps.

There is still much improvements to be done, but it would be a mistake to not take a try; the game is progessing very quickly since the changes in the development team.