XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Do You Think Xenocide Is Worthy Of Being A X-com..

Engy

Do you think Xenocide is worthy of being a X-COM remake? (Using the current pictures, video, and the unfinished game as your guide to what you think it will be like when done.)  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because of people like Sologuy and Soylent, I decide to find out the current thought on how good of a remake people think Xenocide will be.

I love how Sologuy and Soylent attacked the graphics of Xenocide, as X-COMs graphics, while top of the line at the time, are by todays standards frankly terrible. Now they still can hold their own because of great workmenship, however, it is almost nothing compared to todays 3D graphics.

(Feel free to post your brutal attacks or genius defences at/of Xenocide along with your vote.)

By the way: Xenocide! Xenocide! Xenocide! Edited by Engy

I've seen a whole lot of people in chat. And, I've seen two things:
1) 99.9999% of greek chatters are ****ing lamers! NOOBS! Suckos!
2) Most of the people in IRC channels are either:
i) Members of warez groups
ii) Gamers (the worst of all, especially if they are greek)
iii) Noobs who think that computers are just: mirc, word, excel, outlook

Quite off-topic, but I always wanted to say these :D

Anyway, those two people you mention are definitely lamers. Not because they said all these about Xenocide. I would call them lamers even if their target was UFO: AI or GTA 3 :P.

The truth is one. Just see what Red Knight said. I totally agree with him.
These people are plain, stupid USERS who don't even imagine what "Development" means. If you tell them "Show me what you got!", they will probably start swearing. They can't do what we all do, as a team or as individuals, so their attitude is the only defense they have. It happens all the time in Real Life, it also happens in Cyberspace. Nothing of interest really....

Yes, those guys have no idea exactly how game development goes... they were talking like we were finishing all the models then programming... idiots, probably at least partially due to lack of access to the top floor and Workshops
They just think that Xenocide will suck because they can watch as it progresses, instead of seeing the finished product, as i said before, if you watched any game in development it would look terrible before it is finished. That is just the way it goes. They also said no progress in years, but these boards were opened in September of 2002, and RK only introduced the idea in the November of that year. It took about a year for the gears to start grinding away, and they can't see all the progress the programmers have made in the Workshops
Poor management LOL
All the things they said we should have we do have, we are organized and have structure, so they were essentially saying that we were unorganized even though we had what they think we needed to be organized
Morons

[quote name='blehm' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:53 PM']...partially due to lack of access to the top floor and Workshops...they can't see all the progress the programmers have made in the Workshops...Poor management[/quote]
Actually, THAT'S the "problem". Many people, including Red Knight, Azrael, mindstormmaster (I've spelled it right? :hammer: ), astyanax, me and others, have talked about it. It was decided that we should change the site's template, re-organise the galleries etc. We tried to use blogs in order to do changes in the news easy, but actually progress was paused.

So, no changes were made, and the site remains as it is.
We have to fix that, and I can guarantee you that our members will double in no time :D

[quote name='Engy']it is almost nothing compared to todays 3D graphics.[/quote]
You lost me at that. Claiming 3d graphics to be nice and fun is just fine, but saying 2d graphics are nothing in comparison is just ignorant. X-Com with its few colors of pixeled characters does far more for me than any of these Fary Cry and other random pieces of shuckeroonies. They look more realistic perhaps, but i've never seen a 3d game that could acpture me like my old tradition early to mid 90's games. (Which yes, is when all my favourite games were made)

By the by to those who say IRC people are losers, if you take a look at their names "* soylent green" is not an applicable name by the current RFC 2813 IRC standards, * is an invalid and you cannot use spaces... I just got done developing an IRC daemon, so just saynig it wasn't done by IRC. Most likely MSN due to the message layout.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Xenocide, perhaps it'll be great but I haven't seen much of anything innovative being done in it and navigating your forums is heck.. Which makes me agree that it doesn't feel very organized. :)

I say it's pretty much the exact same thing to go spouting how they don't know anything about the process of game/application development and what horrible horrible people they are and that they have problems as it is that they post here saying that you have no organization and poor taste.

I can't answer the poll either, as I don't see an option that fits with what I think of the remake.

There is great difference between showing an organisation theme to others, showing your progress to others, being organised, and making progress.

Project Xenocide makes a lot of progress, especially in Creative Texts and Programming. Art also seems good, and some more work is needed in the sound department. Concerning sound, there aren't more than 5 active members right now. The real actives are just 2 or maaaaybe 3, so just don't expect much too soon.

So, you are wrong in this: Xenocide IS organised, and you will be used to the forums quite soon. Non-members just can't see what we've done so far. Have you seen the COMPLETE laser pistol model for example? The galleries at the site have the brown 3ds model in early stage. So, what would someone think about it?

And, these morons who say that they just see "a globe with spinning light", I guess they don't even know what "polar coordinates" means, so they probably won't understand the mathematical meaning of it, or how to implement it in C++ code..

Free, your, mind :)

Actually, i don't know any of that last part about C++ and polar coordinates, and judging by what they knew they didn't either
they also apparently don't know that people upload concept arts to get the general feeling, not to actually use, picking out concepts and saying that they suck because they aren't completed

[quote name='jdan' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:03 PM'][quote name='Engy']it is almost nothing compared to todays 3D graphics.[/quote]
You lost me at that. Claiming 3d graphics to be nice and fun is just fine, but saying 2d graphics are nothing in comparison is just ignorant. X-Com with its few colors of pixeled characters does far more for me than any of these Fary Cry and other random pieces of shuckeroonies. They look more realistic perhaps, but i've never seen a 3d game that could acpture me like my old tradition early to mid 90's games. (Which yes, is when all my favourite games were made)
[right][post="125895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

The newest mega man x games, 7 and 8, comes pretty close though.

yeah, posting it on the forums that we are based on is not exactly a fair poll, since all members and most recruits will vote for yes
an xcom board would be a better place to post this

I agree with jdan , This forum is so damn messy. Praps you guys should sign somone up with the express purpose of fixing it all up into a more user firendly place. Xenocide is gonna rock tho , how could it not?

I think that the forum is nice. The site is all messed up. If you get used to the site, you know exactly where to search in order to find what you want. And, if you want to increase your post count (:P), just click the "new posts" link ;)

*laughs at kafros' pitiful post count*
I find that the forums are very easy to navigate, although i did like the Workshops more when they were divided up into a whole bunch of things... like 6 sections for the CTD workshops... I liked that more than how it is now

The forum's fine for project members, but for curious laypersons, it's a nightmare- way too many subforums. It's very difficult to find information if you don't know which forum to find it in, and curiosity only goes so far.

I know the forums are primarily for project members, so I can understand the rationale behind the forum's organization scheme. But the main site is for the public, and imho, it isn't too bad. I just think if there's more activity on the main page (for example, more news, new art, a different graphical style, a new banner, a random fanfiction, a small contest, or anything- not necessarily *all* of these, of course), people will get the (correct) impression that we're working on it. If there aren't many page updates, some curious people may lose interest. Edited by Astyanax

I only want one thing: removing the 2 year old pics from the media screen, especially those that will not have any influence on the game, or just generally looks stupid. They might be a pathway to great looking things, but people not knowing of Xenocide will not have any use of it, and as has been proven, think less of it.

I'm tired of looking at my two year old laser pistol.

[img]http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artxnetweapons14-800.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/L_Pistol_DiffCompl.jpg[/img]

<_< Edited by mikker

whoa... that is weird looking
the rightmost laser pistol in that picture looks like one part is lying on the ground and the other is standing up, it gives me a very odd sense.... However, i agree with astyanax, i like the second one better, the side views look very nice

Thanks Az and Be. Yeah, the first "laser pistol" looks weird: it's one of the first versions of it, which I started 2 years ago. At the age of 14... Later, it became the last, which is a top notch fully fletched laser 'Omega ' heavy pistol version VII, and coloured by Shinzon.

I think Palpatine got his hands full at the moment. Why not try Micah instead? :P Edited by mikker

Yeh, I think xenocide will become a good remake. Probably the best remake there will ever be. I think Red Knight has this thing pretty well organized. These forums might just look pretty messed up for a newbie but stewart has made a lot of work to make it fit the needs of hardcore forum users. So just learn how to find stuff and you see how well it's been organized.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say all the people who think this game will suck should burn in heck because they are so damn stupid they don't deserve to live. Also calling them idiots and stupids is not the right way to answer to criticism. I would have said this in the post where the MSN conversation was pasted but it was locked.

So, what I'm trying to say is that let's learn how to swallow bad reviews and criticism. Okay? :)

Guest Azrael
[quote name='mikker' date='Jul 21 2005, 08:25 PM']Thanks Az and Be. Yeah, the first "laser pistol" looks weird: it's one of the first versions of it, which I started 2 years ago. At the age of 14... Later, it became the last, which is a top notch fully fletched laser 'Omega ' heavy pistol version VII, and coloured by Shinzon.

I think Palpatine got his hands full at the moment. Why not try Micah instead? :P
[right][post="125953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Micah [b]is[/b] the Dark Lord of the Sith, and I think only him can change the main site :D
I know it was one of the first versions, mikker, I didn't say the contrary. And yet it looked better than anything I could do on 3ds :P

@Puasonen: I have closed it down because the thread was completly nonsense. Fair critisism have to be paired with how to achieve more professional results, if not they are just plain negativeness and that is what kills projects. In fact this whole issue has already taken many posts that are just a waste of effort.

On the positive side we have already taken the criticism on the web site (but way before) as our lead artist has been working in a new face for the Xenocide Web Page since a month ago, we will surely publish a couple profiles for JSP Web programmers when we have finish with the graphics design of the new site. As a side note, even if members do not see it we take the criticism and work out solutions for them, but sometimes there is not enough manpower to handle the tasks spawned without hurting the main develop branch. That is why I do not accept critisism for nothing, if you criticise at least propose solutions or volunteer to work them out...

As an example, I remember hearing Azrael say that the news where outdated, so he volunteer and got the news anchor responsability... that is the correct way to criticise.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='jdan' date='Jul 21 2005, 11:03 AM'][quote name='Engy']it is almost nothing compared to todays 3D graphics.[/quote]

By the by to those who say IRC people are losers, if you take a look at their names "* soylent green" is not an applicable name by the current RFC 2813 IRC standards, * is an invalid and you cannot use spaces... I just got done developing an IRC daemon, so just saynig it wasn't done by IRC. Most likely MSN due to the message layout.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Xenocide, perhaps it'll be great but I haven't seen much of anything innovative being done in it and navigating your forums is heck.. Which makes me agree that it doesn't feel very organized. :)

I say it's pretty much the exact same thing to go spouting how they don't know anything about the process of game/application development and what horrible horrible people they are and that they have problems as it is that they post here saying that you have no organization and poor taste.

I can't answer the poll either, as I don't see an option that fits with what I think of the remake.
[right][post="125895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

HEY I LOVE X-COM and ya 2d graphics are great for a turn based game. They did a great job with X-COM if they hadn't no one would want to Remake the thing. I'm just saying 3d graphics are what they are, a whole dimetion above. It isn't nessary in fact I'm a little suprised that they are doing in 3d since it really didn't have to be.

As for seeing what is going on in the workshop area; I would love if everyone had read access. As watching code get added and changed is quite interting.

Xenocide is looking to be a very promising game already.

• 6 months later...
[quote name='Aosar' date='Feb 13 2006, 03:10 AM']Holy cheese Mikker, that's a awesome model!
[right][post="146346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Welcome back Aosar. The complete Laser Pistol model was made by Shinzon.

Not to upset Mikker I'll correct you in saying that he made the actual model, and I textured it... A joint effort if you will :P like a conveir belt... Edited by Shinzon

[quote name='Shinzon' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:33 PM']Not to upset Mikker I'll correct you in saying that he made the actual model, and I textured it... A joint effort if you will :P like a conveir belt...
[right][post="146402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yes, sorry, I meant that you completed the model (meaning you textured it)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote]Do you think Xenocide is worthy of being a X-COM remake?[/quote]
That's rather like asking if The Thing is worthy of being a Thing From Another World remake...in other words, heck Yes. The same, but better. Whoever those forum spammers were, they must have been idiots.

[quote name='stewart' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:42 PM']Ummm?  Shouldnt this question be asked when it's done.
[right][post="147986"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hmmm.... to that I reply; Will Xenocide ever really be done? :)