XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Trouble

Guest Professor Lidenbrock

Guest Professor Lidenbrock

Hi all

I'm experiencing a weird situation. My soldiers are getting lots of psi attacks from inside the UFO, whein they are all outside the UFO, and all the remaining aliens are inside. Can they launch psi attacks through walls or what? The same soldier keep getting under alien control several times. What's wrong?

I can upload my savedgame for analisys if someone tells me how do I find which folder it is in.

Thanks a lot

My experience is that once they see a soldier, they can MC him, even if the MCing alien is not the one that seems him. And I'm pretty sure that even once one alien sees Soldier X on a particular turn, he can be MCed on any future turn even when not in sight!

So, attack fast. Don't wait to camp against psi aliens.

The Aliens are looking out the windows of their ship and mind controlling your soldiers. (This is pretty normal with )

For a PSi attack to occur they just have to be able to see you. (You will understand when you get to use Psi attacks yourself.)

And yes the same soldiers seem to get mind controlled every mission. If you have one or two of these keep them out of missions until you get a chance to give them some Psi training, or, alternatively send them to another defensive base where they won't be going on any missions.

From what I understand from some folks who are much smarter than me at understanding the game mechanics, the aliens can remember the positions of the soldiers they've seen for a few turns. If the soldier keeps getting mind controlled, my guess is that they'll remember where the soldier is indefinitely. (And assuming this mind controlled soldier sees your other soldiers... ugh!)

This 'memory' appears to last longer on higher difficulty levels.

Also: Remember that the computer cheats. For standard combat, everything's mostly fair game except the alien's extended night vision, improved stats, melee abilities and damage reduction modifiers. But for psionics, the aliens have a much better awareness of what's going on in the field. Luckily, that doesn't necessarily help them in combat unless they can convince your soldiers to come into their line of fire.

Also, there are lots of line of sight issues in this game where you can sometimes see through odd angles. Aliens can do that and make use of this to their advantage. They can sometimes shoot through these odd angles (more noticeable in TFTD).

- NKF

Yes, and it shall be normal the same get controlled: they have less mind power, so they're more likely to be controlled. Surely they tried to control other soldiers but hey couldn't. Have you noticed sometimes in the alien's hidden turn you get a few milliseconds view of one of your soldiers? That means an alien is trying to mind control him/her.

The game will eventually cheat too. You can leave a soldier in a closet, one that no one has EVER seen, and eventually they will get psi attacked too. Test this on a base invasion.

Also UFO's have "windows" where there are none to, usually corners. For example from out in front of the abducter my soldier saw an alien at the top of the elevator.

So of course I shot him. Is it MY fault if the game screws up in my favor once-in-a-while.

That's just so disappointing. There were all my soldiers on the ground level, oudoors, and the last remaining alien which was a sectoid leader, was on the 3rd floor of the UFO. And for this odd reason, my soldier kept getting under alien control every time and thus killing his pals.

I got mad, started searching all around the UFO to see if my soldier was in line of sight of some lost alien. Just to later find out that the flashing psi attacks were coming from a hid one on the last floor. Very sad.

Perhaps the alien leaders have ultra-psi powers, or perhaps MicroProse released the game loaded with lots of bugs?

EDIT: I've read in that huge unofficial faq that the aliens DO NOT have improved night-vision.

Edited by Professor Lidenbrock

Regarding night vision: You're right, it's just that they do NOT get penalised for the darkness while your soldiers do. While you can probably only see up to 10 - 15 tiles ahead of you, the aliens will still get their full 20, which is what you would get in full daylight.

Ever have those night missions where shots come out from the dark, and then when you toss a flare over, the alien turns up to be within your visual range? That's what I mean.

- NKF

If a soldier is getting "picked on" drop all his weapons and make him crouch.

Okay, I understand dropping the weapons, but why crouching?

Sometimes the computer is too stupid to make the guy stand up too. So he just sits there pivoting for his whole turn.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lone_mammal

I have to say that instead of dropping the weapon put it in their back packs, the computer cannot take it out, just as you cant when controlling their minds, also try leaving your gun unloaded, ALWAYS LEAVE BLASTERS unloaded, ouch.

If you are having trouble with to much mind control on the larger ships use your blaster to blow a hole in their ship on the top floor, then proceed to destroy the rooms you know leaders to reside, NOT so effective againest etheral aliens but still can make a big difference.