XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ship Defense - Any Tips?

dipstick

If I see another bloody gillman again it will be too soon. I finally managed to get through the first stage of a ship defense mission, and I thought that was it!! I go to the second arming screen, and it appear all 4 of my stunned men are recovered - minus their weapons!! As I thought this was a one stage mission, I merely equipped them with one gauss pistol and standard grenade each. I have had to continue due to being only able to save once on PS1. I have given every available grenade to my weaponless soldiers, and have managed to scrounge another Sonic pistol off of a gillman who won't be needing it. I cannot pick up rifles or cannons - no research! Am I doomed??

Also, some of my grenadiers seem to have hyped up stats - 105 throwing acc in one case! What the heck is happening there then?? It seems to me that they have gained extra stats, but they have only 'half' gained them. Certain stat bars suddenly narrow when they get past a certain point - but the number still correspond to the very end of it??? :blink: :wacko: :huh:

Spent an hour this morning; sit rep is as follows:

We have 6 hostiles down; 4 believed to be deep ones, and 2 gillmen.

We are continuing to wipe out every last explosive material that we find, to flush out the enemy; the fire offensive is working.

We have no injuries as yet, and it MUST stay that way, we have no medikits researched!

We have installed 3 snipers on the highest levels to provide emergency backup - this was thought up due to heavy enemy sniper activity - we nearly lost the CO on entry.

We are continuing very cautiously, with only very large spaces being penetrated. Will provide sit rep at a later date.

Well, I finished that AGES ago. I did not suffer any losses.

I did tackle another one, after a month of research. That one, however did not go as smoothly, although I had sonic rifles, thermal shok and stuff. I almost had armour as well. There were two bugs in it. One - I could not find the last alien on the first stage, and so I took as much equipment as I could carry back to the ship, and exited. I did explore EVERY nook and cranny, but to no avail. Second problem: one stunned man was carried back to the ship, but was still reported MIA?? I could not be bothered to reload (PS1) and so I lost a squaddie.

Stupid bugs.

I am now presently tackling a LARGE USO that has landed. After that is the other one which I shot down. Finally, a small USO that I have also shot down.

Did I mention that the two large USOs are supply ships :naughty: and they are just gillmen. And I have semi-crack troops, who are well armed, and half are armoured...... :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Yep. I had not researched them at the time. I have now though.

Now, I did both large USOs and could not be bothered to do the small one.

I now have a MASSIVE problem - an alien activity site. I cannot avoid it, I cannot afford a -2000 penalty. Up till now I have been fighting gillmen, and I have stunned a small USOs worth of lobster men. Nothing could prepare me for this!!

I have completed the first stage; I killed/stunned nearly every alien. Will I get their bodies etc if I win the next stage, even though I did not kill them all? I could use the flipping ammo after this.

I must have killed 3 tentaculats - they were easy to dispatch, several dinosaur thingies, they were NASTY, a couple of aquatoids, and a coupe of jellyfish thingies, which were also easy.

I have 9 men armed with sonic rifles, and three armed with thermal shok. The TS men are running low on ammo, with no replacement weapons, I will have to pick up weapons as I go - I can pick up all but sonic cannon. The final conscious man is my Lt, and he has his hands on a disruptor pulse launcher - still with 5 rounds.

He started with 8 rounds, and I used him as emergency covering fire. They are GREAT.

Three questions:

One, will disruptor pulses go up and down lifts??

Two, what does the device look like, and where is it found??

Three, how the h*ll am I going to finish this!!?

Edit: I also have 10 million coming in the bank each month, with more coming.

I have seen two colonies - right by both my bases - I have NOT attacked them, I will probably wait for a while.

I am also manufacturing Gauss sub cannons for money; is this wise??

Edited by dipstick

1. Someone posted he had the same problem as in xcom1 with disruptor pulse bombs. So it seems that you better don't do that.

2. there is another thread about that one here.

3. Dunno ^_^

jellyfish things are hallucinoids : harmless stuff, never did a thing to me. Dinosaur aliens are Tricenes. Again there is a thread on how to kill them effectively here.

gauss cannons give the most profit (human tech) so that's a good idea.

Edited by j'ordos

I thought that diruptor pulse bombs could go up lifts? Try sending them up as a slope, rather than straight up.

Never done an alien activity sighting so i cant help you there.

By the sounds of it you will need lots of skill and determination to win the day. Id give up now if i were you. ^_^

Keep going bro with a bit of patience and some luck you could pull this off. If i were you i would stop building the guass sub cannons and just use D.U.P. Launchers and Ajax until you can build Sonic Ocillators. he Guass cannons are ok but they have a redicuosly small range (like 2mm on the screen) so if you use D.U.P. and Ajax you should be able to tackle most enemy subs. Good luck on that mission.

You do all realise im joking, right? :rolleyes:

I dont think he is actually using the gauss cannons as ship weapons. He just has his engineers make them for sale - to make money and keep them busy.

I got to agree with miceless. Most of the later game subs are all big ones like dreadnaughts with the occasional small one. When the little ones show up you dont want to waste your time with them so just blow them out of the sky. I did use the gauss cannon once and as soon as i saw it show its range it got pulled off the sub immediatly. Gauss cannons are just oversized paperweights. Pity you couldnt use plasma based weaponry from the first game.

I guess the theory was that the plasma weapons dont run under water.

Anyway, just hang the gauss cannon on the wall, it looks nice and that s about as much use as you can get from it.

Yes, that always annoyed me. Also (and i cant remember if this was for airborne intercepts or ones that were too deep) they used to give up and go home after that happened. THe idea that they could follow them and wait until they could attack was obviously too much for the pilot to handle. <_<

That was only too deep - but as gauss works on land you should be able to attack in the air - that should make up somewhat for the lack of range on gauss cannon....

The final mission is T'leth, at a very deep spot, so you need a Leviathan to reach it like the Avanger in xcom to reach Cydonia. So the Leviathan shouldn't have any depth limitations, but I don't remember about the Manta and hammerhead.

• 2 weeks later...