XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Tftd (et-version 20/01/2005)

max

XCOM TFTD (ET-version 20 January 2005)

Summary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* bugfixes (mostly 'battlescape')
* alternative video modes support
* auto sell manufacture enabled by decrease zero quantity (1111)
* allocate all scientist by decrease zero quantity
* allocate all technician by decrease zero quantity
* manufacture 'ingredients' removed at time of production
* idle technicians contribute to assembling base facilities (25/day)
* geoscape time (updated)

bugfix update: fixed incorrect damage being taken caused by previous et patch.

details are included in the zip.

Have fun! Edited by max

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm too scared to install it because I don't understand all the changes you have made.
Please explain what do you mean by these:

+ allocate all scientist by decrease zero quantity
+ allocate all technician by decrease zero quantity
+ manufacture 'ingredients' removed at time of production

and what bugs have you fixed?

This "+ idle technicians contribute to assembling base facilities (25/day)" is a great idea! and this "+ auto sell manufacture (enabled by decrease zero quantity (1111))" too!

Are you planning to make a patch to "ufo defense" aka "enemy unknown" too?

i'll check it as soon as i get back from school, then i'll post my review on it.
if it's good, maybe you could look into fixing UFO (Xcom1) CE :) Edited by SupSuper

[quote name='Puasonen' date='May 25 2004, 08:51 AM']Please explain what do you mean by these:

+ allocate all scientist by decrease zero quantity
+ allocate all technician by decrease zero quantity
+ manufacture 'ingredients' removed at time of production[/quote]
those mean that:
+ when you assign less than 0 scientists to a research topic the game automatically assigns every available scientist to it
+ same as above, but with technicians
+ as soon as manufacturing is started, requirements (materials required) are automatically deducted to avoid cheating (the no-technician-free-production cheat) :P

anyways, i just tried it but all i get is a "Patch not installed" message :huh:

Hi,

about 'patch not installed' message, the file 'tftdet' with no extension needs to be copied to the main directory as well.

'bugfixes' deal mainly with crashes of various sorts.

enjoy :)

[quote name='max' date='May 25 2004, 09:40 PM']Hi,

about 'patch not installed' message, the file 'tftdet' with no extension needs to be copied to the main directory as well.

'bugfixes' deal mainly with crashes of various sorts.

enjoy :)[/quote]
i did copy that file to the main directory too! maybe the patch's looking for it in some other folder?

Can I share this patch in my own homepage too?

[quote name='max' date='May 26 2004, 12:14 PM']Hi SupSuper,

26 May 'a' version should give some error codes, please post them, thanks![/quote]
here you go.

[quote name='max' date='May 26 2004, 04:05 PM']thanks,

are you using a 'loader'? (try run the TFTD executable directly)[/quote]
i use f0dder's loader. i tried running without it (run the EXE directly) and it still gives me same error.

at last, it works. and it seems i don't need f0dder's loader anymore too (that's probably another bug fixed) :D
let's see... changes i found:
- all the new features you mentioned work. i tried them all and they work :)
- bugs are truly fixed. i tried playing my old tftd game and it no longer crashes to desktop when i go into battlescape. to test it further we should direct people that have all sorts of bugs with tftd ce to try this patch and see if it works.
- it seems you changed cursor and geoscape icons (x-com base, x-com craft, ufo, etc.) to some nicer looking ones. however, i preferred the old geoscape icons. also, your new icons don't show up in screenshot images (F12 key). however, it seems you can now take screenshots of the CE with Printscreen :)
i still need to test it with xcomutil, to see if it with it or not. more reports later. for bugs... only one i found is that the cursor seems to slow down when it leaves the screen (bottom or right side of screen) and hard to get back on the screen.

i think you've pretty much done a good job. a not-buggy x-com is what everyone wants. maybe micah should put this patch on xcomufo.com or something, for people to try if they get bugs with tftd. further testing is still needed, but i think it's going the right way :)
maybe you could lower the geoscape timer's speed, like BladeFireLight asked, so it'd work at the correct speed. and... maybe you could also look into fixing xcom1 ce. that would make everyone happy :D

btw, here's a screenie of the new geoscape icons for ppl to see. do you think they are better or should the old ones remain? i prefer the old ones.

[i]hmmm... now i notice i used lots of happy smileys in this post. this truly is a good patch[/i] ;)

I like the new geoscape icons, I can't see how the cursor is changed though? :huh?:
I bet the research tree is still buggy? That might be impossible to fix I guess?

[quote name='Puasonen' date='May 27 2004, 11:13 AM']I like the new geoscape icons, I can't see how the cursor is changed though?  :huh?:
I bet the research tree is still buggy? That might be impossible to fix I guess?[/quote]
new cursor on the left, old cursor on the right. now do you see the difference?
hmmm... i'll have to reproduce the research tree's bugs to see if they still occur. i guess more testing is needed. Edited by SupSuper

:D
I guess I expected some bigger change in that ^_^

Hi, I am very relieved that you have got it working.

about the graphic changes, please post alternative graphics for bases and cursor, those where just an example.

The graphics have been converted to 640*400 32bit, it would be great to start replacing some of the game graphics to take advantage, like base facility icons, could someone post a set?

about other bugs, like research, savegames with problems are very helpful, please post some, with descriptions of the problem.

There are more changes to come, but I'll leave a 'normal' version for those who just want a 'fixed' game.

Post any suggestion or ideas, I would like to add them, if at all possible.

Sounds cool!
How 'bout fixing UFO defense AKA Ufo - enemy unknown Collectors Edition? :rolleyes:
I would have tons of ideas to this one. Edited by Puasonen

according to a research tree i have here, this are the research bugs in tftd:
- You must have a M.C. Reader in stock before you finish research on M.C. Lab or you won't be able to continue the M.C. Research Tree
- If you research a Live Deep One and you don't have all the requirements for Ion Armour you'll only get M.C. Lab. You'll need to capture another Live Deep One to get Ion Armour.
- Researching a Tasoth Commander will not give you Leviathan thus you won't be able to finish the game.

hmmm... improved graphics, that would be cool. but i don't know who'd be able to make new graphics for the new resolution.

[quote name='SupSuper' date='May 28 2004, 04:57 AM']hmmm... improved graphics, that would be cool. but i don't know who'd be able to make new graphics for the new resolution.[/quote]
I guess he means the geoscape view. Those graphics could easily be improved. Battlescape would be too hard to do though.

The geoscape time has been corrected. Is it ok?

in the battlescape, the soldiers has a graph indicating time units, energy etc.
what information would be helpfull to be displayed here?

about the way damage is taken, in xcom3, i am not sure but armour absorbed damage before the agent was affected?
- for my own game i want to change the model and remove the random element, this will mean a hit will always cause damage if the armour is affected by the damage type, first (mostly) to the armour then the agent/alien.

[quote name='max' date='May 28 2004, 10:43 AM']The geoscape time has been corrected. Is it ok?

in the battlescape, the soldiers has a graph indicating time units, energy etc.
what information would be helpfull to be displayed here?

about the way damage is taken, in xcom3, i am not sure but armour absorbed damage before the agent was affected?
- for my own game i want to change the model and remove the random element, this will mean a hit will always cause damage if the armour is affected by the damage type, first (mostly) to the armour then the agent/alien.[/quote]
yes, it's ok :)

hmmm... i don't know, it's pretty good as it is. perhaps it could show the soldier's m.c. strength?

i don't know how armor worked in xcom3 (NKF might, however), but i like your idea of removing the "random element" from damage. more realistic i believe :)

The random element does from 0 to full weapons damage.

Hi-Explosives don't have the random element.

Armor simply subtracts the damage that the unit would've gotten.

X-COM units, being soft and squishy, take double damage from everything.

I can finally have the timer running at the correct speed. :D Never could get it down to the right speed with turbo without making the rest of the game run ultra-slow. Made the Geoscape a click-fest at times.

I too noticed the cursor can get "stuck" off the right and bottom edges of the screen. I guess there's some extra room down there we can't see? Would be nice if the cursor was restricted within its proper bounds, but it's not major.

I like the new icons. :)

New armor calc sounds interesting, but please keep a version with the old calcs as well.

Great work! Edited by Kloreep

i not sure. I downloaded the one for the origional, and it made the geioscape choppy and very difficult to manage. i really did not like it at all. I like it all, just fix that. Also, can you make it so that anything that has elerium or needs something with elerium won't autosell(i accidentally sold my first firestorm in the xcom one)

What version of XCOM TFTD and what operating system are people using?

I tried the bugfix on Windows 2000 Professional using the XCOM collectors edition and got garbled graphics on the screen. I tried this with and without f0dders loader and still got the garbled graphics on the screen. I also tried changing my monitor resolution to 640 * 400 and that didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest woldsom
I don't know if this is related to this patch or just the game being buggy, but I cannot manufacture anything requiring special materials. It starts to produce, but when the first unit is "done" it claims that "there's not enough special materials". I have tons of z and plastic, and I've tried supplying all bases (even the radar/interceptor outposts) with enough to make atleast one unit (incase the bug mixed up the bases or something) but still no go. I can make other things, gauss weaponry for instance, just fine...

Hmm, that reminds me of another 'bug' in TFTD.

Can the Gauss Coelacanth ammo bug be fixed?

At the moment, it uses the ammo used for the craft Gauss cannon. This is not the problem, since the other 'gauss cannon ammo' is far too expensive to build.

The problem is when loading a gauss coelacanth onto a ship and then unloading it. When it is loaded on the ship, the game automatically deducts 50 gauss cannon ammo from stores. But when you take it OFF the ship, the 50 gauss cannon ammo does not get put back. So if you load the tank on, take it off, load it on, take it of, etc, you'll end up losing all your ammo.

Not really a very noticeable bug, since most people prefer the sonic displacer over the gauss coelacanth.

It does not exist in UFO beacause the laser tank did not ned any ammo.

Hmm, perhaps removing the 50 gauss cannon ammo loading requirement (essentially turning it into a free ammo vehicle like the displacer) would be a good work around? The game will always generate the SWS with the right amount of ammo in the battlescape (such as when the base gets attacked but you don't have enough ammo).

- NKF Edited by NKF

Gurluas2000, the geoscape time was a requested feature, it does as it says on the buttons, - xcom1 et version was done later and has a nicer implementaion of this.

woldsom, this is a bug with ET version, it was fixed for xcom1 et, didn't spot it for TFTD, could you post your savegame just before the message thanks!

NKF, we can make it free, not restore the ammo - we don't know how much was used during a mission. (so restoring the full ammo is == to free ammo)

• 2 months later...
[quote name='max' date='Jun 23 2004, 06:19 AM']woldsom, this is a bug with ET version, it was fixed for xcom1 et, didn't spot it for TFTD, could you post your savegame just before the message thanks!
[right][post="81435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm having the same problem as Woldsom here. Not sure if it's with all special materials required technologies, as I've only got to Plastic Armour thus far. Even though I have ample plastics available still won't allow me to produce. I have attached my save file. Just run the game on an hour or two and the message will pop up.

Guest Samstag
In the battlescape, the game consistently crashes (using max's patch) everytime one of my aquanauts kills an alien. Well at least it stopped crashing when units would descend slopes. :blink:

[quote]I'm having the same problem as Woldsom here. Not sure if it's with all special materials required technologies, as I've only got to Plastic Armour thus far. Even though I have ample plastics available still won't allow me to produce. I have attached my save file. Just run the game on an hour or two and the message will pop up.[/quote]

Same exact problem with me! I have aqua plastic, but it tells me i dont have enough to make the armor! Should be a quick fix once he gets to it. Thanks Max

Guest TFTD Fanatic
OMG i been playin through the game with normal armor. i can't build new ship weapons, mc disruptors, better armor, or anything at all. :P PLEASE FIX THIS ILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND!!!!

Also theres a crash bug with enemies firing on you when they react to your movements. 1\2 the time it causes a game crash.

Guest Guest_morpheusyeng_*
eh.. how come no reply already ah???

can you fix the "not enought special material" error 1st??

cos if not, can't have better weapon to deal with alien

Guest Atragon
I'm having the same problem as etch, a nice big blank black screen... in the native desktop resolution, so the game doesn't even kick in as far as changing resolution goes.

I've disabled all hardware acceleration so that isn't an issue, OS is winXP Pro.

An update for 'special materials' bug has been uploaded, please post if there are any problems.

About the blank screen problem, the only resolution supported in the tftd-et version is 32bit colour, 640x400.

What do you know about your system specs?