XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - XCAPs

demich

Laser weapons today are not very exotic. and since they come rather early in the game they should look like real world equiptment + 10. While I think the idea is good maybe some short stubby barrels or a pod similar to the converted 747 the USAF has.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 3 barrel system would work in my mind, the laser is hot enough to zap an alien, so that heat is dissipating along the barrel as well. To prolong the life of the turret they build in an alternating fire system so no single barrel overheats and cracks the focusing mirrors inside.

Hmm, would it be possible to have some "steam" or something venting from laser weapons as part of their firing animation?

Ex: A guy fires a laser pistol, while the shots are in the air, the pistol starts venting steam.

Kind of like Plasma weapons in halo when you shoot them too quickly.

I don't think that steam is necessary. IMO it will just look lame on a hand held weapon. I would assume that heatsincs or other cooling methods would be used before reverting to a system that gives a soldiers exact location away.

How about the heatsinks glow deep red-> bright red as the gun fires over the course of a battle?

coding wise, no. For practical use, no. For making it look hot, no. :D

Actually, it would just be part of the animation as it fires, I think it would be possible. Consider in Warcraft when a catapult moves along, it leaves tracks that disappear over several seconds. The same could happen here, the heat sinks in the back of the turret could glow shortly after each shot. Or what about making every other side along the length of the barrel somewhat transparent, so when it fires you'd get to see the glow of the weapon along the barrel's length?

• 4 months later...
Well it is 50% textured as mentioned. Nice work Demich, do you have the other hover tank finished? Please let me know where I can find a copy, so I can update the online 3D viewer page. Thanks!

Looking good Demich. I like the D shaped barrel. It gives the vehicle a kind of assymetric look about it. I'm guessing the blueish parts will be an animated texture of the power supply. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to see it with the full texture on it.

breunor: nope, when i finish this one i will send it to You :] Then I'm going to start working on plasma.

deimos: yep, you're right this is power supply ;]

Tiskaite: this model below is in 70% textured so don't panic :D

post-29-1080308839_thumb.jpg

Edited by demich

Looking very nice. I ran into the guy making the HWP models for the Last Hope project over on the Milkshape forums yesterday. While his models look nice, I do like yours more. HIs have more of a WW2 look, than advanced tech.

great work!

mikker: what do you mean by that? :)

never mind, it looks fine with the turrets up.

i ment that there could be some exterrior power-converters (or in english, stuff) on the sides of the turret. Or in the case of the blaster, exterior ventelation system.

• 2 months later...

To whomever sent this report, I can't respond to you because you did not leave your email address:

> Report:

>

> I^m sorry, i bad speak in english.

> Gud model, whoat klip this tank?

> "blasted roket" by in UFO:Defens

I'm guessing you're asking is this is similar to the hovertank launcher from UFO Defense? If that's what you're asking, then, yes.

http://www.xcomufo.com/ufopaedia/pics/big/shot0015.png

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions how these things should look like? Mech or small tank like in original XCOM? I have one small mech made, could be (after little changes and texturing) ie Sectopod.

http://imperium.nazory.cz/Cruc.JPG

And if you have internet explorer, check out the link in my sig. There is a plugin that allows you to see Milkshape 3D models in the browser, and we have most of the XCAPS (name for HWP) in there textured already. Demich is finishing up the hovertank versions, should be close to done by now.

• 1 year later...

Great work :) but I notice they are all land-based, keep in mind that the Plasma and Fusion XCAPs are hover :)

edit: Something else, could you add the prongs at the end of the Plasma XCAP's barrel? our texts kinda depend on them, the plasma models have them already, IIRC.

Edited by Azrael

1) Indeed, the plasma and fusion ones should be hover-tanks

2) About the Rocket Xcap design: The tank will probably hold more that 2 rockets. So, why don't you try an alternative version:

It only has one launcher, with a bit longer and higher "mouth", from where it launches the rockets which are stored, something like this: http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/6900/967969961943962964943964955959.jpg

I have a few comments.

You should probably make the energy weapons look more like the heavy weapons designed for the aircraft... not copying it, but I think we could use some consistency. I don't think you should have the barrels have a skinny neck like that. I think that he composition makes the actual barrel look very weak and awkward.

The autocannon for the troops is not a gatling style machinegun. I would like to show you an alternate source of inspiration for your model.

This is the turret of the Bundeswehr Marder IFV (as rendered in ofp). I think it's the most badass looking turret I've ever seen. It fires 20mm shells at just under 1000 rpm. Note you can clearly see the night sites and other fixtures. These sensors would likely be similar to what an unmanned assault vehicle would have. For more inspiration regarding sensors, check out pics of the kiowa warrior and apache's sensor pachages.

http://home.arcor.de/parvus/OFP-Daily6/BI_BW_Marder_1_t1.JPG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/nx_illusion/dxdshot1125439170.jpg

I think that the 'rocket' version could have a couple of stacks of rocket tubes above the turret. It would make the thing look more business-like and be more efficient in terms of poly-count.

I like the chassis, but I was wondering if you could bring the suspension up a bit/make the body a bit higher between the tracks. It looks like it would high-centre itself if it went offroad.

Edited by fux0r666