XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Captain Insano X-com

DakeDesu

There seem to be a lot of people that complain that the weapons are not powerful enough. Maybe we should give them what they want... in a alternate weaponset.

This was a mod I planned to make for Ufo: Enemy Unknown and TFTD before I learned about this project. It was originally a method to test reverse engineer, and test my guesses for file formats.

The idea is simple. Take all the stats for the weapons, and raise them to the most the weapon will allow. Others ones like weight and time units would be lowered all the way.

This would, accidentally, should make the game harder. While some might think that all you need is a pistol and you're good... think of explosive ammunition. The explosions would be increased, and by quite a bit. You'd have to be just about as careful not to blow up your own character, as well as avoid the enemy fire. Whoever spots the other one first would win each shoot out--even if the first shot misses (you'd cause an explosion close to them anyways).

Newbies would use it, thinking it easier, and the more predatory pros would use it as bait.

It, in hypothesis, would be a rotten way to address the balancing issues for those who cannot seem to win.

I do not agree. Pros can easily beat newbies just as good. It would not be a balance, but a disaster to the game play. We don't need such weapon sets to be overpowerful. We don't need unbalanced weapon sets, we need to have other variety of different types of weapon sets such as the new weapon set "galactic" weapon set which has different twists to strategy. Besides, this would not improve newbie's experience...this would keep them from even thinking what a good strategy is when weapons are actually balanced.

If ever such a thing was added, then I would have to delete the weapon set out of my ufo2000 game files, making it so that people can't play it with me because of the comparing client to remote players weapon sets. Only the Weapon sets that are valid, will be placed in during game play, which means, if no weapon set is there on one side, the other side will not have it either. Deleting them out of your weapon set folder is just as easy as deleting maps that you wish not to play, because it does the same thing with maps. People will start getting tired of too fast kills and start copying other people that delete their weapon set out of the game folder because it is too "uber" and unbalanced.

I refuse to see this implemented...it will be a waste of weapon images that take forever making.

I second Kratos' motion. Why don't you just introduce Blaster Bombs and be done with it? I seem to remember there was some reason for not having them. . .oh yeah, it was to prevent the game from being unbalanced because they were too powerful :dry:

yeah

the way he is saying this sort of hints that he wants a superpowerful rocket

it would be a fun mod, but only if it is an optional download - like galactic weapons

Frankly, I don't think we need any more weapons. We just need to get the existing ones to work (all of the stun weapons and the human rifles are never used. If they are just going to be useless, why have them at all?).

Adding more weapons just makes things even more complicated and compounds the problem.

Frankly, I don't think we need any more weapons. We just need to get the existing ones to work (all of the stun weapons and the human rifles are never used. If they are just going to be useless, why have them at all?).

Adding more weapons just makes things even more complicated and compounds the problem.

i believe you are very mistaken there

If you think human weapons are bad, you have NOT seen the new custom Sniper Rifle. My soldiers have a near 100% accuracy rate with it (sometimes OVER 100%) and it has a fair punch. It can usually drop a Flying-Armour soldier in two hits.

This was more to help newbies realise that it isn't the weapons they should use as a crutch to win, but their strategy should be changed. The idea is, "hey, you think the pistol isn't powerful enough, try this weaponset", and wait for them to realise you've played a dirty trick on them.

Again the point of this weaponset is to display how unbalanced weapons ruin the game--not improve them. The only way to show this would be to give an example of an unbalanced game.

I would still think that good strategy would win, and despite giving in to their whine to make something like a more powerful pistol, they would still lose.

It is education by example.

Your strategy is the nervous system which is the basis of everything you do. Your opponent's actions are a virus or germ trying to disrupt what you do. Your troops are your immune system, fighting the germs or virus. Your equipment makes up your antibodies, which are the tools your troops/immune system use(s) to fight the infirmity.

Sorry for the wierd analogy, first thing that came to mind :wink1:

The point being, nothing happens without your strategy, whilst with less effective antibodies it can still be done.

I think if there is a weapon in game wich can take down power armour with one shot, game will be ruined. And newbie wouldn't learn anything.

you have NOT seen the new custom Sniper Rifle. My soldiers have a near 100% accuracy rate with it (sometimes OVER 100%)

Is that some mod or i missed something in game?

It's a mod.

And it can only fire, like, once per turn. So unless the guy under fire is a complete twazzock (ie, idiot, and is standing/not moving), they probably won't get killed.

(Note; a guy with 105% accuracy can STILL miss when firing over 40 squares. Sniping tests offline have proved this.)

Take in mind it can only hold 5 shots, weighs about 20 and each clip weighs near 6, so you can only really hold 15 shots for it. That means no backup weapons. :wink1: