XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Interceptor Debrief Crash

Hello there

I recently bought X-Com Interceptor again. My old disks were scratched to buggery and in England anyway (moved to the US). To my surprise the version that I downloaded (one of those digital purchase things) worked beautifully on XP. No videos or map music (since no CD) but, hey. Not sure if it does the probe thing, will have to find out later.

However, tiny problem.

2 out of 3 times when I end a mission, the debrief screen fails to appear and it just hangs on a blue screen. (Not a BSOD, just a blue screen, presumably like the graphics didn't load right)

It seems to lock up my PC, since the only way out of it is a reboot.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I have a suspicion that the reason it locks up is because the game is looking for those missing video files for the end-mission. ;)

- Zombie

To my knowledge there never were any video files for when you completed a mission (the videos that it seems to lack are intros, the alien messages etc, the rest of the animations seems to work fine)

Also, why would it only do it sometimes? I played a mission, it crashed, I loaded the autosave, played the mission, it worked, next mission it crashed again. If it were the videos it would always crash.

I didn't realize it was for sale legally as well, so if that link is provided here, it will be removed until it is determined if it is legitimate. (We cannot allow links or even mentions of a site offering the X-COM games illegally for download). ;)

From what I've heard from other people who download other versions of X-COM, they have problems as well. Don't know why games downloaded off the net have a hard time running, but they do.

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

I got it from Trymedia.com, although for some reason now I can't seem to find the main site, only their game download links. From what I can gather this version of Interceptor is made to work with XP, and I've noticed that some of its files are now .ogg, which I hadn't seen in the original. I know .ogg have better compression so it was probably to keep filesize down while maintaining quality.

https://fe.trymedia.com/magnus/bbyt.html?co...=t_18oi&dm=

(That should work)

Yipes, $9 for a copy of the game which locks up every once and a while? I know for a fact I could get it tons cheaper off eBay or Amazon and still have enough left over to buy the OSG (Official Strategy Guide) for Int as well. Not to mention you would then have a hard copy of the game. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie