XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Versions Of Xcom 1 On The Way...

One Man Band

Always expect the unexpected. I bet there is a 50-65% chance they don't answer at all. I really hope that they will though, and if they aren't interested, I hope "One Man Band" can somehow get me a copy of that windows version :rolleyes:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and I don't think it was done by a unknown guy just for pleasure and offering it to them to publish.

I hope we'll see him again. It has been quite a while since he was here last time.

Master is our friend, master wouldn't abandon us, would he? :alientalk:

I'm waiting for the windows version even more! (Could be that I have to buy gba just because I want to play UFO with it) B)

I would _guess_ tha Atarigrammes might well be interested, depending on cost etc. The GBA/sp is a big market, the demographic grew up with x-comn, strategy games are the biggest selling game type, It's a natural fit. If this guy can do it then they ought to jump at it.

Corporate decisions don't always follow the usual rules of logic though.

Corporate decisions don't always follow the usual rules of logic though.

And that's my point exactly so I hope no-one is expecting a sure deal here..

• 2 months later...

He hasn't been here for a long time so I fear the worst :(

Then again, it was too good to be true in the first place..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys...

Sorry I've fallen off the face of the Earth lately. Work has had me _buried_ for the last few months, and have only just been able to (briefly) come up for air. Things should open up a bit after E3 where I plan to continue development on the games again (and port it to another platform...just an idea I've been kicking around recently...more about that later).

Anyway, I'm just letting you know that I haven't forgotten you guys and I'm still alive, etc. :)

-- Bob

:happybanana: :happybanana: :rock: :rock: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Yeah! Thanks for letting us know you're continueing your work and you're alive :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:master: All hail the mighty programmer, ONE MAN BAND! :master:

We should make him Supreme Commander. . .or at least head medicine man. . .

Forget getting the game for free, guys. I'll be thankful to be able to buy it!

• 1 month later...

My reccomendation: Send Atari (or Hasbro, the guys who own Atari, whichever is more convenient) an application for employment, mention in it that you have single-handedly converted the original UFO Defense into a Windowwed version and a GBA version and call them on the phone. Repeatedly. Over and over and over.

Do this until they hire you and publish the game.

Yeah. :master: :master: :master: It'll be a bestseller!

One question, I see you include spanish language, is it the default oficial spanish or a pathed by selvatranslations (i think .com is the next, if not try .es). Because the original spanish is pure rubbish. They translate Days/Hour left (Días/horas restantes) por Días/Horas Izquierdas (Days/hours left, left in the sense of which side). And the plasma clips are the three types called "plasma clip", so you don't know what are you manufacturing. I found myself getting 30 plasma rifles and 80 pistol plasma clips. With all older rifles and pistols and heavys sold. :crying: :cussing:

I got the page, go here http://usuarios.lycos.es/selvatranslations...cciones_ufo.htm, they have a couple of patches for it, I haven't tried it, but I hope it is correct.

P.S. - UUUUUUU!!! It's another rubbish. :cussing: At least I hope it won't have the same name error. However, I'll continue playing english.

Edited by Admiral Harkov

Yeah. :master: :master: :master: It'll be a bestseller!

One question, I see you include spanish language, is it the default oficial spanish or a pathed by selvatranslations (i think .com is the next, if not try .es). Because the original spanish is pure rubbish. They translate Days/Hour left (Días/horas restantes) por Días/Horas Izquierdas (Days/hours left, left in the sense of which side). And the plasma clips are the three types called "plasma clip", so you don't know what are you manufacturing. I found myself getting 30 plasma rifles and 80 pistol plasma clips. With all older rifles and pistols and heavys sold. :crying: :cussing:

I got the page, go here http://usuarios.lycos.es/selvatranslations...cciones_ufo.htm, they have a couple of patches for it, I haven't tried it, but I hope it is correct.

P.S. - UUUUUUU!!! It's another rubbish. :cussing: At least I hope it won't have the same name error. However, I'll continue playing english.

you can try editing the SPANISH.DAT file in the GEODATA folder using wordpad (AFAIK you're not allowed to use notepad, as it screws up) to correct the mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the liscencing... Lets assume the company currently in charge of the X-Com project DOES NOT respond or DOES NOT wish to support you.. There are still a few options available..

I'm no expert, but as I understand copywrite laws, there are 2 possibilities (atleast)..

1: Re-write the entire game in your own code under a different engine and do not use the name "X-Com". You can even use the name, "Extraterrestrial Combat" or "X-Command" or something similar, as long as it is not "X-Com: UFO Defense", that is different enough to make it it's own entity.. You can make the game completely similar as long as it is not exactly the same.. For example, you could change the name of the SkyRanger to the SkyRover.. You could change the look of a few of the aliens.. Change maybe a few of the screens.. heck, why not just completely revamp the graphics and fix the bugs? It would essentially be a completely new program, just the same gameplay.

If you did this, and changed the name enough to create a new liscence, you could hypothetically sell the game yourself under it's new title with minor modifications and there is nothing the copywrite police could do about it..

2: I am not too incredibly sure about this, but I do not believe it is illegal for you to make a re-make of an old game, produce it, and distribute copies of it so long as you do not make a profit.

For example, lets say hypothetically you decided to make a remake of "pong" even though the game was still liscenced (which I am not sure if it is or not.).. You could create the same EXACT game as long as it was not named "Pong" (The name is registered.).. heck, you could name it Poong, as long as it wasn't "pong". So, you make this copy of old pong, change the name, and hand it out for free. For all intents and purposes this is your OWN game. Sure, it is based on anothers game, and you ripped off their ideas.. But you DID not rip off the name and you did not make any profit on it..

Why would the name matter then? Well, because if it's the exact same game and the exact same NAME then it is copywrite infringement because the name is protected under copywrite law, but the program itself is not, atleast not to the same extent. You see, it's just like a movie.. If you buy a movie from your local best buy, take it home, make a copy of it, and give this copy to a friend, as I understand it this is NOT copy-write infringement. However, if you copy the movie and sell it or rent it or mass produce it, THEN it is copy write infringement because you are essentially ripping the original producer off.

Now, I may just be talking out of my donkey here, and I may be wrong on certain details, but it would be something worth looking into.

As I understand it, as long as A: The program is not exactly the same and if it is you B: do not make a profit and C: Do not effect the profit of the current liscence holders then you are in the clear.

So, lets say you constructed a completely NEW program under your own engine in your own free time and even named it the same, you could probably get away with giving it away free as long as you can show that it is a version of the game that is not readily available on the current market..

You could simply call it: X-Com Windows, and assuming they don't get you for using the "X-Com" name, you, again, would be in the clear..

Hope this makes sense, and hope I haven't made a complete idiot out of myself. Just some ideas. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, in the least.. So take me with a grain of salt.

Uh, I thought that the name "X-Com" would be intellectual property of Microprose/Hasborg/Infogrames/Atari/your kid sister/whoever, so using the name or insinuating usage of it would bring about trouble. But heck, it's free money for the Atari guys, more or less. heck, at least 3,000 people would buy it, right? :naughty:

Probably...

The worst part of it is that XCOM is in abandonware download sites... They are totally disinterested in the franchise, but will hire lots of lawyers to kick honest people's a** if we don't go about it carefully...

Besides, we can ALWAYS make a mod that uses all the old XCOM names, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else... O:)

Well i havent seen the new game yet but I just downloaded it, personally as a big X-Com fan i hope it lives up to the origonal

Personally i think these days computer game designers focus more on the fancy graphics and have games move fast, you just don't get the gameplay anymore, X-Com was a classic and while UFO Aftermath made a good attempt it didnt quite make it, they just dont make them how they used to. Game makers seem to have lost the art of good turn based strategy that is the main part of X-Com

........that and blasting aliens :laser:

I just hope the new Game keeps the feel of the origional classic

Downloaded what? You mean UFO Defense? Or are the new and/or GBA versions ready for Beta play-testers? Yeah yeah, I read the whole thread on those for Xenocide, I'm not asking to be one. Just wondering on a progress report. One Man Band's been away for a while, now. . .

• 4 weeks later...

THAT would be sweet. . .I can imagine it now.

In a car. . .playing X-com.

On a plane. . .playing X-com.

In the bathroom. . .playing X-com.

In school. . .doing homework. . .and playing X-com.