XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I Want To Play X-com

steve_b

I want to play X-COM ... but I'm not sure how -- being computer-illiterate and all.

First, would someone please tell me where I can buy it? Can I just snag one of the 99 cent copies for sale on ebay?

Second, what do i do after I get it. I hear you need to load patches or files or something like that to get it to work for XP or Vista. Did I mention I was computer-illiterate? I'm lucky I can even spell "XP". Would somebody explain to me (like I'm a six-year-old) exactly where/how to get the files, and excatly what to do with them to get it to run? I'm not a smart man, so feel free to talk down to me in your explanation. :-) I won't complain if you tell me something I already know - which is doubtful. :-)

Thanks.

-- Steve

P.S. 10 points to whoever can name what movie "Explain it to me like I'm a six-year-old" is from.

I want to play X-COM ... but I'm not sure how -- being computer-illiterate and all.

First, would someone please tell me where I can buy it? Can I just snag one of the 99 cent copies for sale on ebay?

Second, what do i do after I get it. I hear you need to load patches or files or something like that to get it to work for XP or Vista. Did I mention I was computer-illiterate? I'm lucky I can even spell "XP". Would somebody explain to me (like I'm a six-year-old) exactly where/how to get the files, and excatly what to do with them to get it to run? I'm not a smart man, so feel free to talk down to me in your explanation. :-) I won't complain if you tell me something I already know - which is doubtful. :-)

Thanks.

-- Steve

P.S. 10 points to whoever can name what movie "Explain it to me like I'm a six-year-old" is from.

Google this; "direct2drive".

Then, find the "classics" section under PC games. You'll find each of the 5 major x-com games there seperately or in a bundle. Just X-Com 1 will cost only $5.

This is a completely legal download and purchase.

What you will be downloading is the DOSbox version patched to game version 1.4. Plays great on XP.

A game icon is NOT created upon install. So, find the folder the game is in using windows explorer. You should find it here; C:\Program Files\2K Games\X-Com UFO Defense. In that folder will be an icon that clearly says "DOSBox". Right click it and choose "send" and then "to desktop".

You do not need to patch or modify files with this version.

Now exit windows explorer and click the DOSbox icon on your desktop. Boom! You're playing. :)

Philadelphia?

Edited by Scrogdog

Congratulations on winning the 10 points! Phildelphia it is.

... and 100 points for the great link and detailed instructions. Looks like it's time for me to get a PayPal account tho...

You said it works great on XP. Does that mean it does NOT work on Vista? We're now a 2 PC family, 1 XP and one Vista. Vista PC is hooked up to the bigger monitor. :-)

Thanks much!

Congratulations on winning the 10 points! Phildelphia it is.

... and 100 points for the great link and detailed instructions. Looks like it's time for me to get a PayPal account tho...

You said it works great on XP. Does that mean it does NOT work on Vista? We're now a 2 PC family, 1 XP and one Vista. Vista PC is hooked up to the bigger monitor. :-)

Thanks much!

I have not tried it on Vista myself, but the system requirements says it plays on Vista.

I just downloaded it and sent "dosbox" to the desktop.

But when I click on the icon on the desktop (which says dosbox-shotcut), it opens up a window showing 6 files: AUTHORS, COPYING, INSTALL, NEWS, README, and THANKS.

Any ideas on what to do next?

This is on the Vista PC by the way.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

if it's the same way as the PC version, you run dosbox, type in "mount a: " and then the directory of the xcom game.

ie mount a: c:\mps\ufo

I don't know how the root directory in the mac works, maybe like linux using the ./mps/ufo

if it's the same way as the PC version, you run dosbox, type in "mount a: " and then the directory of the xcom game.

I don't know how the root directory in the mac works, maybe like linux using the ./mps/ufo

Ok I've gotten DosBox to load through the intro only to be blocked by the damn password screen. It sucks because it seems somewhat, wrong? IE/"Page 13's code is 3994-9668" please enter the code from pge 29"

But the manual has no code on page 13, and page 29's code doesn't work?

Ok I've gotten DosBox to load through the intro only to be blocked by the damn password screen. It sucks because it seems somewhat, wrong? IE/"Page 13's code is 3994-9668" please enter the code from pge 29"

But the manual has no code on page 13, and page 29's code doesn't work?

Ok I'm sorry for the multi-posts but I just discovered an annoying solution...

I figured that page 13 is 6 pages below page 19 (The referred to page and the actual page the password belongs too)

So when the game asks for the password to page 67, I entered the password for page 72 instead (six pages higher), and it it seemed to work. WTF?

Anyways... I've got the beginning of the game running, at the speed of sound almost. Anyway of slowing this thing down a litle?

And my sound effects seem to be goofed too ie: i cant hear shots fired, people dying, etc....

Edited by FFxFFM

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, ive bought this awesome game not so loong ago though steam, it works but the reson why i write in here is that i want to buy the game so i can play without have steam to run. i want the cd and manual with codes, does anyone know where to buy from so i get the cd and all?. I played ufo abit for a looong time ago and i nearly completet it on beginner untill i strewed up my savegames and then i stopped playing cause i got mad :D now i want to play again and i wanna try superhuman.

found this forum after i saw some ufo movies on youtube and after reading abit in here i wanna complete ufo on superhuman or at least try ^^

Try eBay or Amazon.com. That's where I usually go. ;)

- Zombie