XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Aircraft In Xenocide And Yo, New Guy Reporting!

shamanjim

Hello everyone as this is my first post!

I have been following project Xenocide and your progress for 12 months or so now, lurking in the shadows and monitoring your progress. I was a huge fan of the original and played it for countless hours, what really hooked me was the dark, hopeless storyline (by that i mean mankind was totally screwed) and even darker music, (especially when equiping your guys) I remember jumping out of my seat at 3:00 am when i'd loose 6 guys to a fusion missile! THANKS FOR RE-DEVELOPING IT!!! YOU GUYS ROCK

Anyhow, I develop aircraft privately, both small and large, using 3D modelling programs, I build LPG gas turbines, ramjets and pulsejets too, and I'd really like to give modelling some of the aircraft in the original X-com a try, and post them here. The only problem is, I completely suck at giving things paint jobs. (Texturing for the less noobish) So I shall endevour to model the aircraft and ask someone to texture it, if I get a couple of people asking me to go ahead- though I shan't bother if no one is interested. I should be able to keep polygon counts down, though I guarentee in real earth physics I can make them fly. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE POST SOME SCREENSHOTS OF THE ORIGINAL PLANES FROM THE ORIGINAL X-COM SCREENS- I WILL NEED THEM TO MAKE THE MODELS! Specifically the INTERCEPTOR and the first dropship you start with, if remember correctly the AVENGER comes later? and whatever else you have.

I wonder what idea's you had for the aircraft combat screen and wether or not you were going to enable players to fly the interceptors/ Avenger themselves? I know that your trying to keep it as original as possible, and I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOUR OF THAT, though i do believe some of the game was restricted by the technology of the time, and believe a lot can be done with the interception and targeting screens during the attack from UFO's on X-com bases. It would be an interesting element of the game if when flying to a crash site you had to land the avenger, possibly under fire (depending on if you decide at some point to go real-time), and depending on damage suffered (it would suck if a few plasma rounds hit one of your engines) and wether you roll the thing on landing, you kill or wound a few of your troopers. Either way I'd really like to put more elements of the aircraft into human control. -Comments?

My comments are- I've seen the Laser Rifle, and its beautiful, and I didn't mind the assualt rifle an independant posted earlier, it was a good job, little blocky, but keep it up. The geosphere was good, though keep working on it, every time I load Google Earth it reminds me of my old X-com days hehehe. Anyway I'd really like to give the aircraft a go, so post those screenshots!

Peace to all,

Shamanjim.

Edited by shamanjim

Guest Guest_shamanjim_*
Well I got some of those photo's now, and consequently think... EEK, what have I got myself into. I dont remember them looking like that hahaha! Anyway thats how they were, and i cant see how that picture of the skyranger could have been concieved as VTOL, so, I'm gonna make you guys something real pirdy starting from today.

Hi shamanjim!

This sounds great, and we really appreciate what you want to do! However, if you want to do this for Project Xenocide, I'm not quite sure if we will be able to use these models. Thing is, that we don't intend to use any material of the original game whatsoever, that includes using game graphics as concepts. That is why we didn't just copy the Skyranger design, but did a completely new craft design of our own. So if you want to contribute your models, I would like you to contact Vaaish first. But if you're just doing this for fun, go on! Very ambitious project, I'm very curious to see the outcome! :)

Edited by Mad

Thanks for the reply MAD, I'm going to go ahead anyway and build you guys something totally unbelievable, and you can bet your donkey it will fly to. I have some modelled designs right now of a totally modified VTOL learjet from 2004 that my team and I converted into a VTOL. During it's design phase I didn't tell the guys that I had a mental picture of the old Skyranger in my head. Anyway, in the simulator it had a cruise speed of 380knots, could lift 10 000lbs VTOL (Thats 10 000lbs of cargo+aircraft weight) and up to 50 000lb on short takeoff. But the best thing of all, it looked like a real bat out of heck (And like what I thought what the skyranger looked like). The best thing about it is it needed no flight computer to keep it steady in hover, just a good pilot. Anyway, I'm installing the old harddrive tomorrow and will break out the big guns for it. The JI-L38D (The final varient) concept could carry up to 16 Mavericks or 8 2000lb LGB's and 80 mariens, and 2 TWIN and independantly targeting 40mm automatic SLWAGLS (Super Light Weight Automatic Grenade Launcher) from "ST Kinetic Technolgies". Nothing to snuff at. Remember it wont have textures, so you'll have to imagine what it will look like with a sick donkey paintjob, you'll have the model by the end of the week.

Sorry to add this again just wanted to confirm it was me posting it.

Thanks for the reply MAD, I'm going to go ahead anyway and build you guys something totally unbelievable, and you can bet your donkey it will fly to. I have some modelled designs right now of a totally modified VTOL learjet from 2004 that my team and I converted into a VTOL. During it's design phase I didn't tell the guys that I had a mental picture of the old Skyranger in my head. Anyway, in the simulator it had a cruise speed of 380knots, could lift 10 000lbs VTOL (Thats 10 000lbs of cargo+aircraft weight) and up to 50 000lb on short takeoff. But the best thing of all, it looked like a real bat out of heck (And like what I thought what the skyranger looked like). The best thing about it is it needed no flight computer to keep it steady in hover, just a good pilot. Anyway, I'm installing the old harddrive tomorrow and will break out the big guns for it. The JI-L38D (The final varient) concept could carry up to 16 Mavericks or 8 2000lb LGB's and 80 mariens, and 2 TWIN and independantly targeting 40mm automatic SLWAGLS (Super Light Weight Automatic Grenade Launcher) from "ST Kinetic Technolgies". Nothing to snuff at. Remember it wont have textures, so you'll have to imagine what it will look like with a sick donkey paintjob, you'll have the model by the end of the week.

• 3 weeks later...